AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-01-13, 22:54   Link #21
Sakuya
*Artist

What is a Noitamina? I watched the raw and I had no idea what's going on. I guess this is one of those series best watched subbed for people who know few Japanese.

The opening sequence is whacked. A hip hop song for an ancient Japanese setting? It's a pretty weird effect. I like the ending theme however. It sounds like one of those old Japanese songs (chants?) at first but yet it actually has a melody and a beautiful one at that.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 23:00   Link #22
wao
OK.

Noitanima is a recent late-night anime slot on Fuji TV that is aimed at older girls (josei anime). It aims to make anime that is fresh and different from the usual stuff these days (subtle hint at the oversupply of moe shows...).

I forgot to mention, I love the ED song- and guess what, it's by Chitose Hajime, the same person who did the Blood+ ED!! Very happy about that.

Edit: the ending song is also composed by a very famous singer from the 70s/80s in Japan, Yumi Matsutouya (used to be Yumi Arai). You might know her from the famous Rouge no Dengon, the opening song to Kiki's Delivery Service.

EDIT2: OK, so Yotsuya Kaidan (looking it up, it's actually very famous!!! It's been made into kabuki plays and so on and so forth. One of Japan's most famous old ghost stories it seems.) is going to be 4 episodes. Then follows Tenshu Monogatari (also known as The Tale of Himeji Castle) by the supposedly goth Japanese writer Kyouka Izumi - the scriptwriter is a famous j-dorama scriptwriter, and the director also directed (AFAIK) only live-action (j-doramas, maybe movies,can't remember) There's aseparate role for "Anime Director" - so does this mean it'll be part live-action? Who knows... The last one, Bakeneko, seems to be an original work. I guess each part will be 4 episodes long, fitting nicely into 12 episodes. Maybe one will have 5 episodes.

Last edited by wao; 2006-01-14 at 00:17.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-14, 00:44   Link #23
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
"Anime Director" could just mean the animation director, and that's always a separate position.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-14, 01:04   Link #24
wao
OK.

I think in this case it's quite different... usually if it was the animation director in the normal sense, it would be 作画監督. But here, it's listed as アニメ監督. Why on earth would Moonphase put that rather than 作画監督 which everyone knows and which it always uses? In fact, why would the put the name of one animation director there when A. it's not the general animation director and B. thus it would change every episode...
Old 2006-01-14, 01:33   Link #25
chucky
Always impatient

I've just finished the first episode. While I like this kind of story a lot, I think this anime is a tad.... too fast. Not a single shot is longer than 4 seconds, and I cannot be sure if that's the right treatment to classical Japanese ghost story. I have an ok, sort of sub par impression on this episode, but yeah, the faces of the characters are superb and the music isnt bad at all.

While I have to confess maybe I have too high an expectation of the series at the outset, I hope that it can be somewhat slowed down in the next episode. Still it is a series I think that can have a lot of potential.

Last edited by chucky; 2006-01-14 at 01:46.
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-14, 01:38   Link #26
wao
OK.

That's true... older stories ought to be treated with a slower place (ala Mushishi, though that's not an old story really)

But considering they have 4 eps to cover the whole play, I guess it's not enough.
Old 2006-01-15, 01:28   Link #27
Sakuya
*Artist

Oh, so this first story is not finished yet? I'm still wondering if I should watch it. I hope a group subs the first episode soon. I had no interest after skimming through the raw though. The character designs are nice but it's just their eyes... They look weird, it's not that they don't like anime-ish. It's just that they look weird.
Old 2006-01-18, 18:17   Link #28
Aristophanes
I have returned

Send a message via MSN to Aristophanes
The first episode has been subbed by gg
Aristophanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 18:59   Link #29
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

HAHAHAHA. And all this time I thought this was an anime version of the game Ayakashi (which gave me mixed Persona/JoJo vibes). Guess not. Oh, well. This looks interresting too. Thanks, GG
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 19:10   Link #30
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
HAHAHAHA. And all this time I thought this was an anime version of the game Ayakashi (which gave me mixed Persona/JoJo vibes). Guess not. Oh, well. This looks interresting too. Thanks, GG
You're welcome.
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 02:19   Link #31
Sakuya
*Artist

Thanks for subbing episode 1, I finally watched it. It's actually really good when you know what they're saying. Man, people are so corrupted. And I just love these kinds of stories because they sort of have "proof" to back it up with the grave and everything. Would they really spend the money to create a shrine and grave if it was fake? Why would they make an empty grave anyway?

The story sort of makes you want to figure out if it's true by digging up her grave. Or is that just me...? I'm always curious. Anyway, I'm jumping on the Ayakashi bandwagon.
Old 2006-01-19, 11:39   Link #32
Ialdaboth

Seen the first episode fansubbed by GG, too. I think you did a great job with it, and the PDF was a really nice complement for a better understanding of the story. Thanks !
Old 2006-01-19, 13:58   Link #33
kakyuusei

ahh I was wondering if anyone would pick this series up ^^! your subs are really nice dark` =)

very interesting show! i watched the older movie version of kaiden before - i think from 1960-ish - but this anime version is really lovely too. the amano art in shown in the opening seems to fit the mood of the anime too. i recognized his style so quickly. xD

anyway, very nice replacement for the previous paradise kiss and honey + clover slot. pity it isnt as well known as some of the other new shows.
kakyuusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 15:06   Link #34
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakyuusei
ahh I was wondering if anyone would pick this series up ^^! your subs are really nice dark` =)
LOL, don't thank me. I merely make sure the eps are as error-free as possible. Much of the thanks should go primarily to koda (leader of the group and the one who suggest ayakashi in the first place) and Eliza (our great TL). Hope everyone took a look at the pdf file that accompanied the ep, it does help to explain a great many things.

But yeah, this anime looks promising, although so far the first ep doesn't really seem to have gone into the "horror" theme yet, but instead has focused more on corruption. Let's hope we see some more "horror" stuff in ep 2.
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 00:46   Link #35
Sakuya
*Artist

Well, the raw for episode 2 is out. Did anybody see it and care to comment? Also, does anyone know of any anime blogs that are summarizing and commenting on this series? I'd like to read the story before the sub comes out but nobody is doing this series unfortunately.
Old 2006-01-20, 00:47   Link #36
Chairman Aeon

OK, OK, I had a look at this because of the ParaKiss thread ... even though horror is not really my thing. Quite a bit of nastiness in that first episode. I'd like to buy the house a round of karma. I love the character designs and how they look like ukiyo-e. Granted I'm in a big Japanese medieval kick so I threw caution to the wind and decided to watch these ghost stories to further my understanding of the time and stories. It certainly will be interesting to see how 4 episode stories work ... or don't.

Iain.
Chairman Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 03:14   Link #37
wao
OK.

The character designs are by Yoshitaka Amano, the famous guy behind Angel's Egg and Final Fantasy (I to VI), as well as old classic shows like Gatchaman and Casshern... I'm somehow haunted very much by the eyes... I don't think the show did justice to them though, I was hoping for less bright colour choices. Oh well.
Old 2006-01-20, 03:38   Link #38
Rion
Ramune~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
But considering they have 4 eps to cover the whole play, I guess it's not enough.
Uh, so the anime has 4 episodes? MrProphet said something about 3 episodes in the Parakiss thread, so I was irritated.

The episode was nice. I actually don't like the character design at all, but oh well.
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 03:42   Link #39
Sakuya
*Artist

No, each arc might have 4 episodes I think is what they meant. Here are the three story arcs:

Yotsuya Kaidan
Tenshu Monogatari
Bakeneko

So a total of 12 episodes perhaps? That comes out nicely.
Old 2006-01-20, 06:13   Link #40
Rion
Ramune~

Ah, I see. Thank you for the clarification. Now this makes sense ^^
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noitamina