AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-03-17, 11:50   Link #6661
chronotrig

@rogerpepitone:
Spoiler for size:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
However your assessment of what Beatrice wants from Battler is different imho. It is true that from one side she puts a great effort into making him believe in witch's existence. However it looks like her ultimate goal is the total opposite. We have seen that she doesn't really wants to "win", from the ending of EP3 till EP5 this appears quite clear. She doesn't really want Battler to acknowledge witches. If that was her objective she would have simply won in EP3. Ange was there because Beatrice allowed her to enter. In EP6 we learn that the GM has the power to kick outside even a voyager witch. And then again it was explained that after EP2 Beatrice digressed in that horrible feast only to make Battler rage and find new strength. And it was also said that she added Ronove and Virgilia in the picture to help him. Virgilia even gave Battler the cat box explanation, and Virgilia keeps saying that she never tells Battler anything that Beatrice doesn't want him to know.
You're talking about meta-Beatrice and meta-Battler; I'm talking about Sayo's furniture Beatrice and piece Battler. Meta-Beatrice wants meta-Battler to learn the truth, and is playing the part of furniture Beatrice as a hint to him. This is probably because, unlike furniture Beatrice, meta-Beatrice knows that the epitaph is a lie. She's seen games like EP3, and knows that nothing magical happens when the gold is discovered. She knows that everyone in the story ends up dead in the end.

@Ssol: My Nanjo theory for EP1 probably fits this theory pretty well, though it might need some changes. I've just tried to explain the causes of the first twilights, though not the how of EP3's yet. Done that one before though.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 12:00   Link #6662
Aethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Finally. I feel very good about this. I think this might solve the biggest question of the game.
Spoiler for The answer?:

I'm feeling pretty confident that this is right, though the details might need some tweaking. This could either explain pretty much everything by itself, or have a second culprit as well. Anyone see a problem?
Spoiler for well:
Aethos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 12:07   Link #6663
Kitsu
The unlucky one

It's because Shannon =/= Sayo in this theory.
The persona Shannon, as well as Kanon in this case (and Beatrice), are 'made-up'. Sayo acts as those three personalitys and creates the illusions that they exist. Maybe they are indeed alive in her head and she believes if she acts as Kanon, Kanon really exists but well...
Anyway Shannon loves indeed George, Kanon loves Jessica etc. They are different from "Sayo"
Old 2010-03-17, 12:08   Link #6664
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethos View Post
Spoiler for well:
Battler had left the Ushiromiya family for at least 3 years before Shannon fell in love with George, and there was no guarantee that he'd ever come back. In fact, it seems even he didn't plan on coming back most of the time. Sayo gave up on Battler and, very slowly, started up a relationship with George with her Shannon personality. Sayo probably is in love with George too, and since she believes that her furniture's personalities are real, the Shannon personality continues to feel and show that love for George. I don't think Sayo only really loves Battler or anything like that. I think she just can't make up her mind among anyone. Since she's only one person, no matter who she chooses, at least one other person is going to be very badly hurt.

Old 2010-03-17, 12:12   Link #6665
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

So you think that Meta-Beatrice's purpose differs from Sayo's purpose? I personally do not think so. There are hints that make me think otherwise. The first is the message in the bottle.

If her purpose really is to create a legend and make everyone believe in the witch I think she would have acted like a certain nurse. Instead she narrates a story and then asks to find out the truth. The mere fact she asks that, is like outing herself: "what I told you now is a lie, find the truth".

The other reason is her pushing to find the solution of the epitaph. Because the true solution is counterproductive from a fantasy side. A witch would rather make you think that the epitaph describes a gruesome ritual where everyone must be sacrificed in order to resurrect Beatrice from the death, so that she can then resurrect everyone and bring them to a magical world called golden land. Incidentally this is actually what Maria believes in.

But by the time you solve the riddle you learn that such interpretation is only rubbish. It's just a riddle and a worthless one. You don't need to kill anyone, and the golden land is just a room with 1000 gold ingots inside.

They are not definitive proofs but to me it's more than enough to conclude that Beatrice's real purpose is to make people find the truth by overcoming the illusion.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 12:27   Link #6666
chronotrig

@Jan-poo:
Spoiler for size:

Old 2010-03-17, 13:13   Link #6667
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
; XにもYにも。@
; 碑文殺人にも碑文の謎にも、ベアトには何も意味がない。\
`Both X and Y.`@
`Both the epitaph murders and the epitaph's riddle mean nothing to Beato.`\

In episode 1, would she even notice the charm on Natushi's door? It's on the inside, and the room was dark. Sayo could have gotten Natsuhi out on some pretext (knocked or made a phone call, saying Krauss wanted her), then shot Natsuhi once they were out. Or she could have killed Eva and Hideyoshi, using the wire cutters to get into their room, if need be.

And by "all over the map", I was referring to the fact that where the bodies are found varies heavily.

And much of it ceases to be an impossible mystery once everyone dies. Without the testimony of a survivor to say that the chain was still set right before they discovered the bodies, E1T2 becomes "killer used wire cutters to get into the bedroom, then stabbed Eva & Hideyoshi as they slept.". The episode as a whole could be "Jessica killed everyone, threw her cousins into the ocean, then killed herself.".
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 13:29   Link #6668
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

@Chrono
You have bizarre interpretation of the final request of the message in the bottles. The way it's worded doesn't sound like a challenge at all but like a sincere request. It's not like she says "try to find another explanation if you can", she says "please find the truth that's my only wish"
So I don't agree with that. It doesn't matter how much you try to rationalize it, evidence is against you.

As for the second issue, even if Beatrice knows the true meaning of the epitaph that's no reason to make it know to the others. The double meaning you mention works for persons that already believe in magic. But for those who have magitoxin it is just counterproductive. Give to someone who doesn't believe in magic a magical explanation and a realistic explanation for the same event, and they'll dismiss the magical one as a lie without a second thought.
If Beatrice doesn't realize that, then she's stupid. But I don't think she is.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 13:33   Link #6669
ijriims

Precisely speaking, it would not be Battler realizing the truth, since he was dead. It would be the living people, Ange to realize the truth behind the incident.

EDIT: Oh, I was talking about a question on what is the purpose of the story a few pages ago.

Battler, you have already known it, right?

Without Love, it cannot be seen.

Last edited by ijriims; 2010-03-17 at 13:48.
ijriims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 13:34   Link #6670
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Personally, I can't see a person who's that disconnected enough from reality as being able to carry out all the murders. Ange honestly did expect the stakes to kill the other students, and Sayo had an even stronger belief? Such a person would far more likely get caught when her spells didn't work. (But such a person can make a very good pawn or scapegoat.)
If Ange were truly delusional, she probably would've imagined the other students being killed. She was actively grounded in reality enough to understand that this wasn't actually possible, which is why the Stakes said they couldn't do anything she couldn't do herself. Maria instinctively has the same understanding with the Sakutarou issue; if he's a magical being, or even merely imaginary, his physical destruction (or loss, if she's lying) shouldn't matter. But she sort of understands the real reason, albeit in a more childish way than Ange did at an older age.

The problem with Meta-Beatrice's objective is that it cannot be IDENTICAL to the objective of the board-"Beatrice," though it can be ESSENTIALLY SIMILAR. Instinctively, we understand this has to be true.

Meta-Beatrice:
  • Is interested specifically, and directly, in Battler. She challenges him outright and invites him to her world.
  • Is specifically interested in vexing Battler with impossible scenarios.
  • Seems to have no particular favoritism for any of the pieces, other than Battler himself.
  • Does not seem to care if the epitaph is actually solved on the board.
  • Claims to be the same witch who met Kinzo.
  • Wants the truth to be discovered, apparently by Meta-Battler himself.
But "Beatrice":
  • Is interested specifically, but indirectly, in Battler. Nothing we see or that Battler himself finds directly identifies that Beatrice is specifically interested in him other than their conversation in ep4.
  • Creates scenarios which have the appearance of magic, but not all of which seem to be meant to appear as impossible puzzles. They mostly become such when the meta-world intrudes on them, as without red most of them can be explained with an alternative theory.
  • Clearly plays favorites with certain pieces, notably Maria.
  • May actually care that the epitaph is discovered, but doesn't necessarily seem to be trying to solve it herself (either she wants someone else to do it for a particular reason, or she already has).
  • Obviously can't be the witch Kinzo met.
  • Wants the truth to be discovered, but it isn't clear by whom. The messages in bottles are addressed to an audience who has no way of actually finding the truth, as far as we know.
Something is up here, I think. There's sufficient similarities to understand how one follows from the other, but the way Meta-Battler uncovers the truth is completely impossible for Piece-Battler to utilize. So who was she trying to convince? Of what?
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 14:07   Link #6671
chronotrig

@rogerpepitone:
Spoiler for size:

@Jan-poo:
Spoiler for size:

Old 2010-03-17, 14:25   Link #6672
Judoh
Mystery buff

@chronotrig: The only way I see you getting around the reds in episode 5 about Beatrice's motive to kill people is if her motive for killing is someone else's motive.

# This child has nothing to gain from having someone solve the epitaph.
# The gold of the Golden Land belongs to this child. She had absolutely no need to make you find it for her or to snatch it away herself.
# Whether the epitaph's riddle is solved or not, this child stands nothing to gain at all.
# Regardless of whether the epitaph is solved or not, Beato has nothing to gain.
# Battler-kun is not the culprit.
# Battler-kun didn't kill anyone.
# This can be said of all games.
# Her goal is not to make someone experience fear.
# And it isn't to have revenge on someone either.
# Beato never committed murder for the sake of pleasure.

I only see two solutions for this.

tho most obvious

1. The motive for Beatrice to kill is love hence the line: "without love it cannot be seen"

But this only makes sense in a corny way and I don't think it's a real motive

or the most probable

2. Beatrice is a pawn. The real mastermind orders Beatrice to kill people.

So Battler can't kill anyone, but he can order other people to kill people.

Or any other person orders her to do it. If you just assume she's a pawn rather than somebody who has it all planned out I can see it working. But since her motive isn't money, revenge, or the epitaph I can't see her as a mastermind. The only motives for Beatrice possible now are love or somebody else's motive.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 14:26   Link #6673
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
The charm was hanging from the doorknob, right? It's pretty easy to imagine that you'd notice something hanging from a doorknob when you open the door. It would probably swing a bit and make some sort of sound as it hit the door. She couldn't have killed both Eva and Hideyoshi if Natsuhi was to be the sixth victim, and I doubt she'd try sneaking into their room and killing one of them without the other noticing.

She couldn't kill Natsuhi because she's trying to convince Battler that magic is real. Battler wouldn't know that she'd tricked Natsuhi to walk outside the room. He'd just see that Natsuhi's little charm hadn't done her any good, assuming Jessica brought up the subject sometime.
And why didn't she just put it on the nightstand? No one beside Natsuhi knew that it was hung from within. She could have just put it there and everyone would have thought Natsuhi didn't take it serious and put it somewhere else.
Sayo is smart enough to plan a giant massmurder but can't even figure such a little trick?
Old 2010-03-17, 14:29   Link #6674
Aethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
It's because Shannon =/= Sayo in this theory.
The persona Shannon, as well as Kanon in this case (and Beatrice), are 'made-up'. Sayo acts as those three personalitys and creates the illusions that they exist. Maybe they are indeed alive in her head and she believes if she acts as Kanon, Kanon really exists but well...
Anyway Shannon loves indeed George, Kanon loves Jessica etc. They are different from "Sayo"
I... think that's going overboard. I mean no offense or anything. I thought Shikanon was a pretty out there theory but this is even more out there.

Not saying you're the one who came up with it though.
Old 2010-03-17, 14:37   Link #6675
chronotrig

@Judoh:

Umm, you haven't actually disproved my theory here. I'll confess that my translation for some of those lines isn't perfect though. It's not "Beatrice has nothing to gain no matter what, even if the epitaph is solved", it's more like "there's nothing in particular that Beatrice gets by having the epitaph solved that she wouldn't get otherwise/doesn't already have". So my theory stands.

@Kitsu:
Quote:
And why didn't she just put it on the nightstand? No one beside Natsuhi knew that it was hung from within. She could have just put it there and everyone would have thought Natsuhi didn't take it serious and put it somewhere else.
Sayo is smart enough to plan a giant massmurder but can't even figure such a little trick?
Jessica specifically told Natsuhi that the charm should be hung on her door, and Natsuhi seemed serious about doing it. Both a touching moment, and the last time Jessica saw her mother. There was a fair chance that Jessica would notice it was gone and point that out, which would make Battler less likely to believe in magic. Meanwhile, the "fact" that Beatrice was unable to enter a sealed room would make Battler more likely to believe in magic.

Also, it's likely that the Beatrice personality must follow the rules of magic regarding this charm. As we see in EP2, "Beatrice" grabs the doorknob of Kinzo's study and looks like she's gotten burned. I'd imagine that, if Sayo as Beatrice realized that the charm was hanging there, she'd freak out and get out of the way as soon as possible as though she'd put her hand on a hot stove. The red marks on the door might have been a way to atone for that mistake, or it might just have been to make it clear to Battler that Natsuhi was supposed to have died if not for the charm.

Old 2010-03-17, 14:44   Link #6676
Aethos

Meh I would like to still think that everything in Umineko is the Meta World. It's all in the head of Kinzo who's in a coma. Meta Battler is just his younger self which is why his older self doesn't exist as anything other than a corpse. Meta Battler represents Kinzo's will to live. Beatrice represents the disease taking Kinzo's life as well as his past love and wants to lead him into death so they can be reunited, or it could be said that Kinzo is dead but is refusing to believe it and Beatrice is just trying to show him that he is in fact dead.

Nobody was ever killed or murdered. It was all the dreams of a man who is on his last leg of life but still wants to hold on. In fact if my theory is right then I bet in the real world it's still the morning of October 4th, or whenever the day Kinzo died.
Old 2010-03-17, 14:53   Link #6677
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
@Judoh:

Umm, you haven't actually disproved my theory here. I'll confess that my translation for some of those lines isn't perfect though. It's not "Beatrice has nothing to gain no matter what, even if the epitaph is solved", it's more like "there's nothing in particular that Beatrice gets by having the epitaph solved that she wouldn't get otherwise/doesn't already have". So my theory stands.
Uh... no you just rephrased the same sentence in a different way. It still means the same thing....

It still says she doesn't gain anything from the epitaph being solved. And that isn't the only red that's a problem. The reds that are a problem for you are All of those reds saying Beatrice doesn't murder because of X.

It basically says that Beatrice doesn't kill for this, this, this, this, and this. And anything not addressed can be a motive. I pointed out the only ways I can see it possible for the person who represents Beatrice on the gameboard to murder people.

And it's not to disprove your theory. I'm just saying that I don't see many ways currently for her to be a mastermind AND a murderer when there are so few motives left after that bunch of reds. So the two things I mentioned are ways for her to murder people, but with those reds I don't see any way for her to murder people and to still be the person planning the murders out.
Old 2010-03-17, 14:59   Link #6678
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
Uh... no you just rephrased the same sentence in a different way. It still means the same thing....

It still says she doesn't gain anything from the epitaph being solved. And that isn't the only red that's a problem. The reds that are a problem for you are All of those reds saying Beatrice doesn't murder because of X.
No, it doesn't. It says that she doesn't have anything to gain more from the epitaph being solved than if the epitaph is not solved. If the epitaph is solved, they reach the tenth twilight. If the epitaph is not solved, they reach the tenth twilight. Yes, Battler might be less likely to believe in the witch if the epitaph is solved earlier on in the ceremony, but everyone will end up in the Golden Land anyways.

I don't think any of the other reds deny the possibility that Beatrice committed the murders to complete a ceremony. If one does, you'll have to let me know which one.

Old 2010-03-17, 15:04   Link #6679
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
I don't think any of the other reds deny the possibility that Beatrice committed the murders to complete a ceremony. If one does, you'll have to let me know which one.
Okay then. I guess none of the reds deny that. All I need to know is what the ceremony is really used for then. If she's Beatrice what does she gain from reviving Beatrice? Or is it just a show to get Battler to beleive in magic?

If it's just a show for Battler though the ceremony doesn't serve much of a purpose. Unless her logic is like a cat who kills a mouse and brings it to you as a present.
Old 2010-03-17, 15:10   Link #6680
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
Okay then. I guess none of the reds deny that. All I need to know is what the ceremony is really used for then. If she's Beatrice what does she gain from reviving Beatrice? Or is it just a show to get Battler to beleive in magic?
I've mentioned this a few times, but she wants "the lost love" between her and Battler that the epitaph promises. She might also believe that love between furniture and humans is possible in the Golden Land, which means that the love Kanon and Shannon feel will also be granted at the same time. The part about reviving Beatrice probably means reviving her fully, which is what Kinzo's goal was for her all along. Remember how Beatrice is sometimes described as a ghost flitting around while scheming up her own resurrection ceremony, at the end of which, she will presumably regain her magical powers.