AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2010-02-01, 22:16   Link #1261
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
Here's a fun fact: the German word for Valkyrie (Walkuere) would be pronounced the same way Valkyria is. This is just a fun little tidbit I thought I'd share.
that is cool, i always wondered why they called it valkyria
SoggySoyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 23:09   Link #1262
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggySoyBean View Post
that is cool, i always wondered why they called it valkyria
Is that '' actual sarcasm? Hard to tell on the internet.

I actually noted it because, in German, words ending with 'e' end with an '-uh' sound, 'Walk' is pronounced as 'Valk', and 'uer/ür' is fairly obvious. The Valkyrur and the 'Walkuere' probably have nothing to do with each other, aside from the name.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 23:37   Link #1263
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
Is that '' actual sarcasm? Hard to tell on the internet.

I actually noted it because, in German, words ending with 'e' end with an '-uh' sound, 'Walk' is pronounced as 'Valk', and 'uer/ür' is fairly obvious. The Valkyrur and the 'Walkuere' probably have nothing to do with each other, aside from the name.
it was not meant to be saracastic >_< it looked liek more of a "go-figure/makes you think" face to me
Old 2010-02-01, 23:53   Link #1264
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

I'm actually starting to come to the conclusion that having everyone speak German in Battlefield Gallia wasn't too far off. The "Valkyria/Walkuere", Germanesque names (for instance, Bruhl), and fairly German designs (not many countries aside from Germany used interleaving suspensions, and the mid/late game Edelweiss, Lupus, Imp HT, and TD use the interleaving roadwheels).

Though, the 'Walkuere' note was probably a fan spotting coincidence - perhaps I'll end up adding to the Fanon that Gallia and the Empire both actually speak German - it's simply underwent Translation Convention. The Federation could have German-speaking states, or, if Ramona's wounded lines are any indicator, French also exists.
Old 2010-02-02, 07:31   Link #1265
Neovoid

Also, isn't Gallia supposed to be the Archaic Name for France? If there is place named "Gallia" in Europa, would there be a place in the Federation named "Albion"? BTW, I think "Albion" was the Archaic name for the island of Great Britain. Both "Gallia" and "Albion" have been featured in many fantasy rpg games.
Neovoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 16:07   Link #1266
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

I do believe so - I recall my Grandmother having a short stint of interest in the Galls or something like that - though, if that shape near the bottom-right of the Map of Europa is Europa's Italy, and 'Bermany' and 'Faustria' are north of that, then I assume Gallia to be more geographically located near the Netherlands and Holland, though the Gallian-Imperial front does closely parrallel the 1940-41 Winter War between Finland and the Soviet Union - perhaps it ends up being called the 'Summer War' outside of Gallia, as was the Winter War?

The Gallia of Europa is far too Germanic to be anything like France, so 'Albion' could end up refering to VC's version of Spain, for all we know.
Old 2010-04-11, 18:14   Link #1267
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

I thought Bruhl sounded pretty Germanic.

I present: Brühl, Germany.
Old 2010-04-29, 11:08   Link #1268
Velsy

I dont want to look like I am here to start anything..

But I finshed Band of Brothers a few days ago. And alot of stuff I wanted to see in Valkyria Chronicles I just found in Band of Brothers without fail. Makes me feel a little more disappointed with this anime even more. THey should of done a much better job.

I'd still like to try the game tho if I get a ps3 O_O

Now I understand why alot of people didnt like Feldro (spelling?) and Wielkins.. when you have guys like Captain Winters.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 11:54   Link #1269
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Actually, you did just start something. As commanding officers and sergeants, I'd rather have Sgt. Chip Saunders and Lt. Gil Hanley from Combat! than I would Alicia and Welkin. Mainly because Saunders is a competent and experienced (and not to mention, non-hormonal) sergeant. Haneley's also gone through extra years of officer training, and is quite qualified for the rank of Lieutenant.

...Plus, "Saunders" just sounds like a better name for a Sergeant than "Melchiott" does.
Old 2010-04-29, 12:22   Link #1270
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
Now I understand why alot of people didnt like Feldro (spelling?) and Wielkins.. when you have guys like Captain Winters.
Faldio and Welkin.

Get the game. Soooo much better.
Old 2010-04-29, 12:25   Link #1271
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well, if they made the game a hard war type thing, like Band of Brothers, the market would be completely different. i would have liked to see a bit more death in the series, but you get what you get. the anime was above average, but the game will always be superior.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 12:43   Link #1272
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
well, if they made the game a hard war type thing, like Band of Brothers, the market would be completely different. i would have liked to see a bit more death in the series, but you get what you get. the anime was above average, but the game will always be superior.
YES. GET THE GAME. I actually got a PS3 for VC, so that should tell you how good the game is. EndWar, Bad Company, etc, are all after VC.
Old 2010-04-29, 17:13   Link #1273
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

and to be fair, BoB has several military advisers where as VC had none >_> i think even StrikeWitches got a military/historical advisor >_<
but like its been said, the game was purposely trying to avoid the cliche "war is hell" and gritti-ness of it especially with the CANVAS engine

But yea, i also bought a ps3 for it and its still the only game i have for it xD
Old 2010-04-29, 19:00   Link #1274
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggySoyBean View Post
and to be fair, BoB has several military advisers where as VC had none >_> i think even StrikeWitches got a military/historical advisor >_<
but like its been said, the game was purposely trying to avoid the cliche "war is hell" and gritti-ness of it especially with the CANVAS engine

But yea, i also bought a ps3 for it and its still the only game i have for it xD
While I cannot confirm StrikeWitches, I do recall seeing that the VC Devs intentionally made VC to steer away from "War is Hell" and really to demonstrate CANVAS on colors other than brown and gray.

Now, a CANVAS-style take on EndWar would be awesome, though. Imagine actually shouting at Herbert in order to get him to attack. XD
Old 2010-04-30, 14:50   Link #1275
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Double post, yes, but this is in a completely different direction than the prior post.

My Red Alert/VC crossover idea, which I still have yet to send to EA, has quite simply put, changed because I picked up EndWar as a rental. It's quite awesome, so I'm actually thinking of reworking the Soviet half to play in a manner akin to EndWar (in essence, making it a two-game pack more than one game on two discs [Gallian and Soviet, akin to ye olde Westwood style]). I'm thinking of submitting it as VC1 and 2, going up against a mix of the Soviets from RA1, 2 and 3. The Soviets, also being the less scrupulous of the factions (even compared to the Empire), use the real-time EndWar styled gameplay, give or take certain things. This certainly drives home already present rifts in the Soviet-Gallian stylization (For instance: Soviet vehicles are dingier than VC ones, and have sharper edges, and possibly have different effects applied to them, looking more like a US-produced cartoon than an Anime). They strike me as the faction who you could shout "Launch WMD" to and they'd not only have no problems, but cheer you on!
Old 2010-05-14, 15:55   Link #1276
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Triple post. OMG.

Off on the Red Alert: A Path Beyond forums, I came up, completely out of the blue, with some VC-based achievements:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Fuchs
Squad 7, Move Out!
As the Allies, attack the Soviet base with a Medium and Light Tank, plus eight infantry of any type (besides Tanya) and succeed.

Squad 7, Fall back!
As the Soviets, manage to break up Squad 7 by any means.

Lupus Regnum
As a Soviet, use a Mammoth Tank to destroy a Squad 7 attack.

Volkyria Chronicles
Flatten a Squad 7 attack using only Volkov.
That last one is pretty groan-inducing, isn't it?
Old 2010-06-11, 18:05   Link #1277
Snowman24

Seems Valkyria Chronicles has had quite the affect on me :P So I thought this might be fun.

You know you're a VC fan if/when...

-You get offended when someone says "Dark-hair" or calls someone a dark-haired woman :P.

There's one, anyone else got any others??
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 18:08   Link #1278
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

How about you say out loud either "Die, die, die!" or "Next!" (in reference to Jane) when playing FPS video games?
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 19:08   Link #1279
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
How about you say out loud either "Die, die, die!" or "Next!" (in reference to Jane) when playing FPS video games?
DIE, DIE, DIE!:

"Next! Wait a seco-":

Shortly after:

"Damn them... damn the spies and their Dead Ringers."

"Next" only works if you're playing Sniper.

EDIT:

You're a VC fan when you make a Suggestion on the Valve forums to give the Heavy a shield and a hammer and call it the "Armored Heavy" (Armored Tech, VC2).

Granted, the Spamoknight got something similiar, but meh.

[Amendment:] You're an insanely lucky VC fan when the Idea is found to be interesting and would change up how the Heavy played.
Old 2010-07-03, 02:51   Link #1280
Snowman24

<--- Cannot watch Zombie Loan without matching one of the main male characters with Marina Wulfstan!!!

Every single time I try to watch an episode of Zombie Loan I think, HE look SO much like Marina Wulfstan it ain't even funny, kind of ruins it for me
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sega