AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-04-17, 17:52   Link #2301
Homura7

Next chapter you'll learn why those six are called "The Plus 6".

To give you who only read the scanlations a hint, their abnormality is extremly rare.

While the abnormality abilities we have seen so far were enhanced human body functions (increased strenght, increased speed, reflex...), those 6 defy the laws of the physics and made of their bodies what you would call surpassing mankind.

Takachiho and Munakata are not like them because they gained their abnormalities from birth, while those 6 went through extremly risky and sophisticated experiments.

Though they are not the only ones, Koga who was normal underwent Naze's surgery who turned her a cyborg. However, not even that kind of abnormality is as rare as what you're going to see in ch.46.

Last edited by Homura7; 2010-04-17 at 18:03.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 18:48   Link #2302
Jze0
Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Anyway, the thing this chapter's really made clear to me is (again) that the scanlated chapters are much more satisfying than people's raw impressions. So I'll just have to end on a note of thanks for the scanlators, and also mention that I hope we catch up with the raws soon!
Which is why I've started to wait for scan releases before I make any conclusions on any one given chapter. Also I know they're trans available before scans but I hate to go back and forth between pages and try to connect which dialog goes with what bubble, its such a hassle.

Btw, I wonder what the boob joke was? Curious to know what Unzen's sister said.
Old 2010-04-17, 20:22   Link #2303
Last Carpet

I'm still wrapping the whole Normal/Special/Abnormal idea around my mind. Contrary to what most of the Abnormals believe, they aren't unbeatable. They may have natural skill, they may have an unfair advantage, but (even if their opponents are Specials or Normals) they aren't unbeatable.

"Foul King" Nabeshima beat Myouga. A nine year old girl who carries around 264 pounds of iron. Imagine how strong she must be. Nabeshima's ranked as a Special, and she could still beat her.

"Judo Prince"(Formerly "Destroyer") Akune beat Koga. It took him a while, but he managed to take down an android Abnormal girl. The strongest woman in the 13 Party fell to a Special.

And, of course Zenkichi (who doesn't have a cool moniker, which pisses me off) beat Munakata. A Normal beat one of the 13 Party. An Abnormal of the highest level lost to a normal. This is sending waves through the fanbase, and to the Chairman. People are starting to question Zenkichi's Normalcy, me included.

Medaka said at one point, "There's no such thing as a genius, there's only someone who earnestly tries". I'm starting to see a bit of truth in those words. But that's in the real world. Abnormals have an obvious advantage, so I guess it doesn't hold much water in the manga.
Last Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 21:17   Link #2304
Sol Falling

Mm, Myouga shouldn't be nine years old. She's one school year below Unzen, but that's only 'cause he's a genius/prodigy. I think she's actually the same age as Medaka and Zenkichi, which is why Unzen refers to her as 'oneechan' despite his higher school standing.

As for Zenkichi beating Munakata: although I very much agree, there's more to him than just normality, I think we should keep in mind that Munakata's probably one of the weakest in the 13 Party in terms of combat strength and that he was also holding back in order not to kill anybody. So I wouldn't yet say Zen's anywhere near 'abnormals of the highest level' like Medaka, Takechiho, or the King. (lol, then again--Zenkichi did manage to kick the latter.)

If we're talking 'genius' in the real world, it is less effort than dedication (long-term, I mean) and opportunity. Super-prodigies like Medaka who are good at everything really don't exist. In the manga though I'm curious as to how super-speed 'bunshins' and enough strength to shift buildings can be explained by 'earnestly trying'. I personally don't see Zenkichi ever reaching that kind of level, though whether Medaka will return to it is still in question. Still, part of the reason Unzen is my favourite character is because of his irreverent willingness to stand up to those monsters despite having fairly negligible physical ability. Zen's kind of an underdog in the same way, so maybe he doesn't need to.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 21:33   Link #2305
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Carpet View Post
And, of course Zenkichi (who doesn't have a cool moniker, which pisses me off)
Wasn't he called the "Club Storm" or something? For trying out a bunch of clubs but never joining any. Something like that.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 21:55   Link #2306
KLGChaos
The Shermain

We also have this new thing where what makes a person abnormal isn't their abilities, but the personality governing them. I can see where all the abnormals are screwed up, while Zenkichi is a fairly normal person.

However, didn't Maguro say a few chapters ago that what makes a person abnormal is that they excel at one ability to the extreme? I'm a bit confused now.
Old 2010-04-17, 22:21   Link #2307
Sol Falling

lol, I think you've got your words switched up there. What makes an abnormal powerful is their personality, not their abnormality. The abnormality itself is, as Maguro says, the ability to excel at one particular thing to the extreme. Similarly, 'personality' remains distinct from whether a person is a normal, special, or abnormal.
Old 2010-04-17, 22:34   Link #2308
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
However, didn't Maguro say a few chapters ago that what makes a person abnormal is that they excel at one ability to the extreme? I'm a bit confused now.
Well yeah, under the current definition that's what they all believe it to be. Remember, Naze is the only one who is trying to prove the new theory that states that it's personality that governs the abnormality. We're all assuming this is fact right now because it sounds a bit more reasonable than the abnormality being king, but everyone else doesn't believe in it yet.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 22:36   Link #2309
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Abnormals are abnormal because of their ability, not their personality. The personality is what makes the abnormality stand out as Abnormal. Medaka without her memories was still an Abnormal, she still had her ability. But she lost just like any Normal would because without her memories she has no idea how to make use of her ability. In fact, she probably wasn't even aware of her ability during the fight, having no memories and all.

I just had a thought. While they are definitely related, personality and memory aren't the same thing. When memory is lost like Medaka's was, it's no surprise that a lot of her personality would go with it. As far as her abnormality goes, I'm curious why Naze jumped to the conclusion that Medaka's personality is what made it so special, as opposed to saying that Medaka's memory and knowledge of her abnormality allowed her to use it to the fullest.

Thinking back to Medaka's fight against Hard Wrapping, where they both leveled up during the fight, I'm leaning towards abilities being like any other skill, they're something you can get better at the more you use it. In their fight, it wasn't just that they were using it more, but they were using it to the extreme, pushing their abilities to the limit, which allowed them to learn something new about it, for both of them, oddly enough, how to turn it off.

Anyway, the Abnormals are screwed up because they've been living with their abilities, it's not that they're screwed up minds produced the abilities. Maguro's a good example. With or without his ability, he's still a hardcore siscon.

And something I meant to post the other day; the Abnormals are different, in a major way. Because of this, they can't relate to other people, and, I think even more importantly, other people can't relate to them. When you don't have people around you that can understand you, and when you can't understand other people, you get lonely. The Abnormals haven't really been portrayed as alone, though some are obviously loners, but they've all been called out as being lonely. Medaka and Unzen are probably the only two that might not feel that way. Given Medaka's interactions with the 13 Party, I'd say she's probably been a little lonely, too. So Unzen with his buxom Enforcer squad is the only Abnormal that might not be lonely because of being an Abnormal.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 23:55   Link #2310
Sol Falling

Yeah, Unzen's attachment to his 'cute' underclassmen really stood out to me as something you wouldn't expect out of everything else in his personality. It'd be really fascinating if Unzen's unique rejection of the Flask Plan within the Party stemmed from being the only one of them who wasn't lonely.

To say that it was Medaka's lack of memories rather than personality that cost her that fight is interesting too. The thing is, I'd make a further distinction not just between personality, and memories, but knowledge. Right now I'm not all that convinced that a memory-wiping drug can also erase general or habitual knowledge so I'm somewhat leaning towards Medaka's strength somehow being a result of her personality after all.
Old 2010-04-18, 02:10   Link #2311
KLGChaos
The Shermain

I'm not sure I buy Naze's theory of personality being the abnormality. For Medaka it might work with the whole "try hard" thing. Basically, Medaka succeeds at everything because she believes she can't fail as long as she tries hard. I personally would find that a bit lame.

It would also work for someone like King, whose arrogance and belief that everyone is beneath him gives him the power to command people to bow. However, it doesn't fit with someone like Hard Wrapping. His abnormality isn't his personality-- it's physical. If he was deathly afraid of being touched or something, I could understand that, but it's the opposite. The only reason he wants to be touched so badly is because his abnormal physical reflexes won't let him, which seems like a normal reaction to me. Otherwise, I don't see anything abnormal about him personality wise that would support Naze's theory.

On another note, seeing Zenkichi tearing up made him look like a wuss. The whole "I don't want to see Medaka cry" thing is sort of annoying, but it has me wondering if it might have to do with the incident 13 years ago that made him so "abnormally" protective of Medaka. Hell, maybe he was the cause.
Old 2010-04-18, 08:09   Link #2312
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
To say that it was Medaka's lack of memories rather than personality that cost her that fight is interesting too. The thing is, I'd make a further distinction not just between personality, and memories, but knowledge. Right now I'm not all that convinced that a memory-wiping drug can also erase general or habitual knowledge so I'm somewhat leaning towards Medaka's strength somehow being a result of her personality after all.
Maybe for anyone other than Medaka, but from what we know about her ability, she doesn't act on reflex or habit. Medaka's body doesn't remember how to do things, which gives her complete control and an easier learning curve since she never has to get out of old habits when learning something new.

And yea, Zen, that wuss, crying over his woman . . . . . . . . . .
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 08:11   Link #2313
ziggi92

I think Zenkichi very abnormal ,you just have look he learned Savate just because He hate fighting and also that he is one of few that can stop Medaka to in demon mode.
Also stand by my words that Zenkichi is equal of Medaka in terms abnormal but because of his down to earth personality that would not use full powers by forsake of Medaka just his fear of fighting.
I think they are two types of abnormal 1 who do what he wants to and nr.2 The calulating type who thinks through and his always one step head.

Type1 are more like: King, 10 year old kid and Medaka are this kind of type because of their personality and Abilites ,

Type 2 are more like: Naze, Maguro, Zenkichi: why Zenkichi because it fits with his peronality where his thinking of best interest of group have to just in newest chapter that he kept his cool while Judo prince was furious.

What I think will happened in coming chapter will focus more about student council where they started with Judo Prince and his relationship with Medaka started and now they moved focus to swimming girl how her relationship between her and Medaka and likely finnish with Relationship between Zenkichi and Medaka.
What more likely to happend his Zenkichi Medaka with her new personality which I think will more like when she is demon mode.

And what interest me is why didn't Medaka changed in demon mode when lost her personality like she in chapter 21.
ziggi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 08:38   Link #2314
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggi92 View Post
I think Zenkichi very abnormal ,you just have look he learned Savate just because He hate fighting and also that he is one of few that can stop Medaka to in demon mode.
Also stand by my words that Zenkichi is equal of Medaka in terms abnormal but because of his down to earth personality that would not use full powers by forsake of Medaka just his fear of fighting.
I think they are two types of abnormal 1 who do what he wants to and nr.2 The calulating type who thinks through and his always one step head.

Type1 are more like: King, 10 year old kid and Medaka are this kind of type because of their personality and Abilites ,

Type 2 are more like: Naze, Maguro, Zenkichi: why Zenkichi because it fits with his peronality where his thinking of best interest of group have to just in newest chapter that he kept his cool while Judo prince was furious.

What I think will happened in coming chapter will focus more about student council where they started with Judo Prince and his relationship with Medaka started and now they moved focus to swimming girl how her relationship between her and Medaka and likely finnish with Relationship between Zenkichi and Medaka.
What more likely to happend his Zenkichi Medaka with her new personality which I think will more like when she is demon mode.

And what interest me is why didn't Medaka changed in demon mode when lost her personality like she in chapter 21.
It's because there's a bit of a difference. In chapter 21, she was really angry. This time she just saw an enemy and attacked without any real anger or intention behind it-- kind of like a robot reacting to a situation without any real thought to it. Or like an animal reacting on instinct.
Old 2010-04-18, 14:38   Link #2315
Last Carpet

I've been reviewing Naze/Kujira-chan. She keeps making remarks about how she may be falling for Akune(Kouki-kun)

You don't think she's actually developing legitimate feelings for him? Considering she believes love is excess baggage, I doubt it. But if she is I hope Akune can handle her. If she's willing to try and poison her brother, just so she'll be more depressed, and can produce even more amazing results. What do you think she'd do to a boy she likes?
Last Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 15:02   Link #2316
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Carpet View Post
I've been reviewing Naze/Kujira-chan. She keeps making remarks about how she may be falling for Akune(Kouki-kun)

You don't think she's actually developing legitimate feelings for him? Considering she believes love is excess baggage, I doubt it. But if she is I hope Akune can handle her. If she's willing to try and poison her brother, just so she'll be more depressed, and can produce even more amazing results. What do you think she'd do to a boy she likes?
To me it sounded like she was talking sarcastically.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 05:10   Link #2317
DekuDeku

Maybe this is out of topic, but I was looking for some medaka's raws in mangahlepers...and it seems that the raws have been removed and it is the same with all the sueisha's mangas.

I searched the raws in some Irc channnnels , but ..... i didn't find anything.

It's going be reallly difficult to get medaka's raw this week.
DekuDeku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 06:19   Link #2318
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Yeah, mangahelpers has removed ALL raws from Sheuisha, Kodansha and Shogakukan. So, getting raws for the main ones will be very tough now. We'll have to wait until someone either puts out the scanlation or uploads somewhere from their own copies.
Old 2010-04-22, 15:50   Link #2319
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Yeah, mangahelpers has removed ALL raws from Sheuisha, Kodansha and Shogakukan. So, getting raws for the main ones will be very tough now. We'll have to wait until someone either puts out the scanlation or uploads somewhere from their own copies.
Actually it's fairly easy, it's on #irc-distro @irchighway.net
All of the main shonen jump raws should be there. Of course... you could just wait for my scanlation :3
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 16:11   Link #2320
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Bleh, I tried irc and got a headache from it. :P It's not that difficult, but annoying to figure out how to work it. Like the program I had wouldn't let me download for some odd privacy thing that it didn't really say how to fix.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council