AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-05, 21:09   Link #1
xSerenadEx

Can anyone reccomend some pretty songs for me?

I have been playing piano for nearly 20 years now, and I've recently developed an interest in anime, and more notably, it's music. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some songs that I could learn to play on piano. You don't have to provide sheet music (If it's out there, I'll find it), just mention some songs that really made an impact on you.

For example, I recently learned how to play Hoshizora no Waltz from Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. Songs like that are what I'm looking for, but if you know a song that's exceptionally good (even if it's not a tear-jerker) then don't hesitate to tell me about it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2008-07-05, 21:14   Link #2
Yamada
Minori Fanboy

I've always enjoyed the piano background in Voices of a Distant Star. I don't know that it's necessarily a song but it's a very relaxing melody, and quite moving at times. The ending theme of Five Centimeters Per Second is very nice as well.

My other recommendation (though not necessarily anime related) is anything by Nobuo Uematsu. You could check out the sample clips from the piano collections on iTunes if you're interested. Some of those tracks by him are truly works of art. One's worth mentioning that come immediately to mind are Aerith's Theme from Final Fantasy VII and the Ending Theme of Final Fantasy X.

Last edited by Yamada; 2008-07-05 at 21:25.
Old 2008-07-05, 23:53   Link #3
Flame-X
Anti-fan

I would recommend AIR and Kanon OSTs. They've got some great melodic tracks that will make you feel emotional.

Here's a few samples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpsogLMADcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDJsmPb6sPs
Old 2008-07-06, 01:37   Link #4
thrill-house

Shimokawa Mikuni - Mouichidou kimi ni aitai (full metal panic TSR ed)
Old 2008-07-06, 05:58   Link #5
mandarb916

Makino Yui - Spirale
ARIA the ORIGINATION OP

Akino Arai - Kin no Nami Sen no Nami
ARIA the ORIGINATION ED

Snow* - Chain
Shigofumi ED

I think those 3 would match what you're looking for...in particular "Chain"...a little more percussive but similar in quality to KimoNozo ED I think.
Old 2008-07-06, 07:19   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

A couple of recent series have excellent scores featuring the piano. The just-completed Shion no Ou by Yamashita Kousuke has a mix of orchestral pieces and some rather more reflective piano solos.

If you like jazz, you must listen to the Bartender soundtrack, which consists of about thirty short pieces by Ootake Kaoruku each named after a cocktail. Some of them are solo compositions; a few others use a small jazz ensemble. The Kure-nai soundtrack also has some nice jazzy piano work, but it's not yet widely available. Worth keeping an eye out for it, though.

The single best anime score I've heard over the past year or two is Saito Tsuneyoshi's work for Dennou Coil. One thing that makes his score so compelling is the remarkable diversity of instrumentation he uses. I'm not sure how well that would transcribe to the piano, but you might be so inspired by listening to the orchestral score that you'll work out the transcriptions yourself.

Of course, there's also a lot of piano music in Nodame Cantabile, but all of it is by composers like Chopin and Rachmaninoff. Absolutely a must-see show for anyone who enjoys classical music.

You might also visit this thread and browse the "Music" forum for more suggestions.
Old 2008-07-06, 07:40   Link #7
Seriost
musicHOLiC~

Send a message via MSN to Seriost
Dearly Beloved from Kingdom Hearts. the game -_- but anyway. This song is very beautiful and I can play it too XD if you want sheets fast just add me and I'll send it to you.
I also recommend Final Fantasy I-III and many others(I'll send them to you if you're intrested)
Maybe we can become good pals and you could tell me songs that you like.
I'll add you>.>
Old 2008-07-06, 13:33   Link #8
signorRossi

I am surprised no one mentioned Joe Hisaishi yet, I simply love his music (almost everything, my top fav is 'Symphonic Poem Nausicaa, but that's music for a whole symphonic orchestra ).
http://www.joehisaishi.net/partitions/
You can find some of his performances on http://www.crunchyroll.com to get an impression of his music, yesasia has a lot of piano scores for his music.
Kunihiko Ryo also does some niche piano music, Juuni Kokuki music is great, especially Piano Memories with the songs Juuni Genmu Kyoku and Shihouka.

Bye, signorRossi.
Old 2008-07-06, 14:19   Link #9
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

The Kanon Air Re-Feel Album pieces are a delight to the ears.
5 Centimeters per Second definitely has a good piano soundtrack. The ED theme is one that is repeated throughout a good amount of the movie (and the preview) but it's a short excerpt you'll want to learn.
ef - a tale of memories also has one of the best soundtracks, though it includes several guitar and violin pieces.
Old 2008-07-06, 15:27   Link #10
Z3120

Hikaru no Go
Get Over Piano version
Tomadoi

There are a quite a few more memorable pieces like Hitotsu no Kesshoku I'm surprised no one uploaded (on youtube anyway), but some of the titles themselves are definite spoilers. Wish you take the chance to see this anime and hear the music.

Full Moon Wo Sagashite
Love Chronicle Piano version

Romeo X Juliet
Kimi no iru sekai
Couldn't help it.. but here's Eminence version of the Main Theme

Mushishi
Ri (Kotowari)

Loved the OST and anime too. Might want to check this one out too if you're interested. And speaking of which, this specific Naruto song I'm sure everyone knows Sadness and Sorrow by Toshiro Masuda.

Tsubasa Chronicle
A Song of Storm and Fire

Might want to check on Yuki Kajiura's other works too from like the .hack series and Mai Hime.

Byousoku 5 Centimeter
Ending theme

Air has already been mentioned but I would also like to deeply recommend this too.

Last edited by Z3120; 2008-07-06 at 15:43.
Old 2008-07-06, 15:45   Link #11
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

evangelion - hikaru utada - beautiful world

last exile osts

clannad osts
Old 2008-07-06, 21:26   Link #12
Phlaw
Romance Anime Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Phlaw
Himitsu Dolls by Mai Nakahara and Ai Shimizu

its the ending theme song for the first half of strawberry panic. one of the most beautiful songs i've ever heard

Last edited by Phlaw; 2008-07-06 at 21:27. Reason: english is hard
Old 2008-07-06, 22:56   Link #13
kenzikan

Kodoku Na Kokoro from Rozen Maiden is a pretty soft and sweet melody.
Old 2008-07-19, 13:01   Link #14
xSerenadEx

I'm looking for some good songs to learn on piano.

Thanks for all the responses so far

Last edited by xSerenadEx; 2008-09-15 at 21:46.
Old 2008-07-19, 13:59   Link #15
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSerenadEx View Post
I've been playing piano for years, and I have grown a recent interest in anime and it's music. The first and only piece that I know so far is the Hoshizora no Waltz (did i spell it right?) from Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. I really want to learn some new songs, so could anyone reccomend some songs for me to learn? I really, really like beautiful songs like the HoshiWaltz, but I'm not limiting myself to that. I'm not asking for links to sheet music, just the names of some great songs.
I would recommend the songs from the Kanon AIR Piano Arrange Album. You can search Youtube for some videos of people playing the songs such as Natsukage and Yakusoku.

Here's a website which has the sheets for Kanon, Air as well other series.
http://www008.upp.so-net.ne.jp/m_maru/

Hope that helps.
Old 2008-07-19, 16:24   Link #16
EdenB
Overlord

As many have already said, Kanon and AIR music is recommended. Especially Yakusoku from Kanon. I like a lot of the Da Capo and Onegai Teacher background music too.

Another recommendation is Geki! Teikoku Kagekidan from Sakura Wars/Sakura Taisen. I know it has sheet music too since I've tried to play that and Sakura Saku before.
Old 2008-07-19, 17:44   Link #17
Rahan

I don't know the Hoshizora no Waltz, so I don't know if you are looking for real songs to play on the piano or piano themes.

Here are two piano themes I like very much :
Sadame (piano version) from X-TV OST1
Yuu's theme from Noein OST1

And two songs whose piano versions are great :
Good or don't be from Evangelion OST3 (actually, it's a piano and guitar duet version of the Cruel Angel Thesis opening, but the piano melody is fine enough alone)
Into the Dream II (Yume no nakae II) from Karekano OST1. (one of the variations of the ending. There is also a guitar part, but the piano part can stand alone strongly)

You might want to check out the Piano Collection - Staggione CD from Aria.
Old 2008-07-20, 15:26   Link #18
sofiayuna

i say the theme for fruits basket would be awesome!
for u to play on the piano give it a try im not sure what the
theme is called but the anime is fruits basket type that in
and you should find it
Old 2008-07-20, 15:55   Link #19
matteas
Member Member

I would recommend Kanon, Higurashi, Air, Loveless, D.N.Angel, etc., but I think the best is to play songs you heard and liked.
Old 2008-07-21, 22:56   Link #20
Automata

The opening to Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo is my favorite so far. Lots of pretty piano in there: Gankutsuou OP

And then there's the extended version.
Closed Thread