AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

View Poll Results: Total Eclipse - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 4 7.41%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 24.07%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 33.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 14.81%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 16.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.85%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-19, 15:26   Link #21
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Actually, I meant the supermarket sign.
I assumed it was the PX as the sign says market.

The Russians, according to google, essentially just said seeya. They were, as you suspect, hardly being mean to her.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-08-19, 15:28   Link #22
Ray
Garnet

Good episode. Mother Russia (Latrova) makes me proud of being a Russian. I hope she'll be of the few pilots of the Zhar (yay for butchering that pronunciation!) Flight that survive.

Ah, it's always the Georgians and the Kazakhs, isn't it?

Quote:
if Zhar Flight is supposed to be this elite squadron, you'd expect them to have some level of self-respect.
Yeah, they may be elite pilots, but they surely didn't act like it. Ah, brats will be brats, I guess.

Quote:
I strongly expect some of the Zhar Flight kids to get nommed.
Definitely. As horrible as this may be, I'd be more than happy to see the guy who tried to have his way with Inia get nomm'd.

Quote:
Lastly...am I crazy, or was there a little Bilingual Bonus slipped in when Chobi was looking for the PX, 'cause I don't think those Russians were laughing because she was an outsider to mock, but because she was standing right in front of it when she asked?
Yep, there was (the supermarket sign. I'd be willing to bet that it's the equivalent to a PX there). The soldiers said "До завтра", which means "See you tomorrow", and I think that was their way of teasing Chobi about how may spend the whole day trying to find the "PX" even though she's right in front of it. ;p I may be reading a little too deep into that, but I've seen people tease others like so. Their pronunciation sounded a little iffy, but that may be because they were laughing while the said it.
Old 2012-08-19, 15:36   Link #23
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Being an Ace fighter pilot usually requires a lot of ego. That's what drives a person to excel at something and be the best of the best. It's a command structure's job to balance a pilot's ego with a pilot's ability. I imagine, when the world is being devoured by aliens and you're now enlisting children, that the balance is even harder to keep. Obviously, a generalization, and I also realize the fail in attempting to relate real-world dynamics to a fictional show based on an eroge.

All I'm saying is, taking out the exaggeration one expects in a work of fiction, there's hardly anything eyebrow raising over the behavior of these young ace pilots, nor did it in any way show a lack of discipline on their part, especially seeing how they instantly came to attention and went on their way without so much as the anime staple snide aside, when their commander took them to task. In fact, discipline is something I certainly wouldn't be concerned about if I was going to have to work with them.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-08-19, 15:49   Link #24
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Obviously, a generalization, and I also realize the fail in attempting to relate real-world dynamics to a fictional show based on an eroge.
.. and the reason for it failing is because it's based on an eroge? Ehh, only two of the games in main trilogy are considered "eroge"; the side stories, this one included, are pretty clean from what I've heard.

As for the ace pilots, I really don't have any problems with them other than how they tried to rape Inia. Sure, the world is fucked in the most literal sense, but that doesn't justify raping someone. And even worse yet is that doing so seems common (unless I misunderstood the part about tying up someone to the gate of a hangar) at that base.
Old 2012-08-19, 16:04   Link #25
Trajan
Six Shooter

A decent episode setting up what I assume is the next arc. The way the Soviets are portrayed in TE has been pretty funny though, first immediately trying to torture Yuuya and now immediately trying to rape Inia.

Quote:
Intriguing point about the railgun's design not suiting the Japanese TSF combat/design philosophy, which goes to show you what happens when Military Contract A and Military Contract B are sent out by different groups to different people, then are expected to be used by the same fighting force. Cute to see Yuuya, who'd I'd expect to want to fight at long range (or at least be more comfortable in that role) instead wanting to try out the Shiranui 2nd's close-range capacity and get right up in BETA's faces.
Yeah, the rail gun is actually all sorts of odd, since the initial conflict between Yuuya and Yui was in large part a disagreement about fighting style, where Yuuya pushed fighting from range with power and Yui pushed close-quarters maneuverability, but now they have apparently flipped positions.

Stranger though is finding out Yui was actually involved in the design of the Type 99. It looks like a heavy weapon best-suited to pairing with a TSF that is more stable and with more powerful engines (ie, an American TSF). It really calls into question why Yui is pushing for a maneuverable and hard-to-control XFJ Shiranui when she is aware that it won't integrate well with the Type 99 (as she herself mentions). If anything, she should be trying to make the XFJ Shiranuis easier to control and less maneuverable.
Old 2012-08-19, 16:42   Link #26
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Man the animation production for this show is just ass (seriously one of the worst looking mecha series I've ever seen) but otherwise this was an okayish episode. Yet again though the scenes with Yui and Yuuya felt like the only real standouts with them talking about the dangers of the new weapon and continuing to see more eye to eye.

The scene with Cryska and Inia was just weird though. Aside from the Russians just magically having pipes out of nowhere and some other continuity flubs from scene to scene and just acting like complete dicks (kind of out of character for what I know of Russian values where they're usually very big on teamwork and comraderie regardless of creed or place in society) with trying to rape Inia, we have Cryska suddenly becoming completely impotent and needing the big strong American hero Yuuya to save the day. This wouldn't be a problem to me if Cryska hadn't already been established as someone capable of holding her own earlier on and how she usually snaps to attention whenever Inia is threatened. Here though who knows? At least Yuuya questions why she was so incapable in this situation, which has me hoping we'll get an explanation cause unlike Yui I actually do feel that Cryska feels like a totally different character in the last couple episodes.

Other than that not much really happened. I've pretty much lost all hope of the show ever gaining anything resembling consistent animation, art, storyboarding and direction though. This will almost certainly be the last time I ever watch a show by Satelight for this reason as they are just becoming beyond brutal in this area and consistently show from show to show. Unnacceptable for a mecha show in the year 2012, and I can only imagine what Muv-Luv fans are saying over in Japan.
Old 2012-08-19, 17:36   Link #27
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Actually, I meant the supermarket sign.
lol Oh, thanks for pointing that out.
Old 2012-08-19, 18:04   Link #28
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The scene with Cryska and Inia was just weird though. Aside from the Russians just magically having pipes out of nowhere and some other continuity flubs from scene to scene and just acting like complete dicks (kind of out of character for what I know of Russian values where they're usually very big on teamwork and comraderie regardless of creed or place in society) with trying to rape Inia, we have Cryska suddenly becoming completely impotent and needing the big strong American hero Yuuya to save the day. This wouldn't be a problem to me if Cryska hadn't already been established as someone capable of holding her own earlier on and how she usually snaps to attention whenever Inia is threatened. Here though who knows? At least Yuuya questions why she was so incapable in this situation, which has me hoping we'll get an explanation cause unlike Yui I actually do feel that Cryska feels like a totally different character in the last couple episodes.
Read up on the Russian gangs, or, more to the point, the kind of brutality that went on (and still goes on) in the Soviet armies among enlisted personnel. The scene shows the level of class as well as ethnic friction existent in the Soviet ranks, which has presumably been exacerbated by the fact that that little base on Kamchatka is the only part of their country they have left.
Old 2012-08-19, 18:37   Link #29
Bombo
TSF Fans

I missed beta =l .
Old 2012-08-19, 20:22   Link #30
PonSquared
A Very Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
BETA food Om Nom Nom Nom
Yes, please! We can only hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Japan was ALREADY taken back in 1999 with Operation Lucifer.
Ehh, when did that happen? Was I sleeping during that part of the story?

Quote:
I'll largely skip over the rescue scenario, since it's pretty much a blatant set-up anyway to add more Yuuya/Cryska/Inia bonding and introduce Tasha personally.
Oh! I did too! It was so boring. Talking, threatening, talking, more talking, belt coming off, PUNCHHH!, then more talking, and intro to the next girl who will fight over the main character... sigh. Perhaps this is how Russian people act in the military, but it wasn't particularly compelling dialogue. It all seemed so forced. Just badly done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
meh, wasn't that great of an episode.
Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombo View Post
I missed beta =l .
Me too!

-----------------------------------------

It was fun watching the BETA eat some faces at the beginning of the episode. It really turned the tension back up. Though, why no laser bugs? That was so disappointing! What a cop-out. The BETA are LOL easy to kill with flying things if there are no laser bugs. More laser bugs, please!

Hopefully next week we'll see some people killed. I guess the Russian pilots were introduced so they could to be killed in the battle to keep all of the main characters alive. (Someone has to die in war...) Well, here is to hoping some main characters meet their makers.

(6/10) For having some face eating at the beginning, but then letting us down with a bunch of talking for 20 min and no more horrible deaths. The possibility of gruesome deaths hangs in the air for next episode so maybe there is still hope.

Funny, I have never watched something and so hoped for the graphic deaths of most of the main characters, before. Yuuya shouldn't die, at least. He's cool.

Last edited by PonSquared; 2012-08-19 at 20:27. Reason: stuffs
Old 2012-08-19, 20:54   Link #31
galdr

Much better than the beach episode. Can't wait for my TSFs action next week.
Old 2012-08-19, 21:50   Link #32
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Well, Cryska can handle herself in a TSF but not from an army hazing e.g. google "army hazing Russia" or "army dedovshchina".

The situation was made worst if Cryska or Inia are like white Russia's Anna Kournikova and if there's ethnic based issues (i.e. there are plenty of whitepapers in regards to ethnic relations during war conditions).

PS; War can be a messy business and hazing/bullying is an issue for all countries.
Old 2012-08-19, 22:06   Link #33
DoomRavager

I dunno, I thought this was a fairly decent episode from a build-up standpoint. They had a short action introduction to establish that bad stuff is happening fast, then some talking to establish the reason Argos is in the area, the political maneuvering that's going into this, establish frontline soldiers' distaste for the people sitting around in the rear while introducing a couple of new characters, which is serving to set up some actual context for the next episode. Proper setup is kind of important, especially since this arc is supposed to have more chapters than the entire Yukon introduction arc.

Though perhaps I can imagine people have already lost patience to the point where they would rather eschew a setting/context establishment building up episode in favor of instant gratification lotsadeath.

Okay, you could argue that Soviet ethnic friction scene may to some feel somewhat ham-handed depending on how critical you're being.
Old 2012-08-19, 22:20   Link #34
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Hmmm... Yui's seems to be showing that she cares for Yuuya more than a soldier... She definitely is more concern of him....

Glad to see a new babe in Yuuya's harem... another Russian?
Old 2012-08-19, 22:23   Link #35
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

What, BETA?!
Must have gotten the wrong anime...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2012-08-19, 23:17   Link #36
John117xCortana

Latrova's entrance in the end and the English version of the ED song playing made the whole scene awesome.
Old 2012-08-19, 23:31   Link #37
Micropod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomRavager View Post
Though perhaps I can imagine people have already lost patience to the point where they would rather eschew a setting/context establishment building up episode in favor of instant gratification lotsadeath.
That is pretty much the problem. People here for the action got upset by the beach episodes and just want something to happen even if there's no real buildup to it.
Old 2012-08-19, 23:43   Link #38
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
Yeah, the rail gun is actually all sorts of odd, since the initial conflict between Yuuya and Yui was in large part a disagreement about fighting style, where Yuuya pushed fighting from range with power and Yui pushed close-quarters maneuverability, but now they have apparently flipped positions.

Stranger though is finding out Yui was actually involved in the design of the Type 99. It looks like a heavy weapon best-suited to pairing with a TSF that is more stable and with more powerful engines (ie, an American TSF). It really calls into question why Yui is pushing for a maneuverable and hard-to-control XFJ Shiranui when she is aware that it won't integrate well with the Type 99 (as she herself mentions). If anything, she should be trying to make the XFJ Shiranuis easier to control and less maneuverable.
Actually the thing Yuuya was upset about was having to stay back from the front lines on his first battle, in order to operate a prototype field artillery piece, which might not even work. The translation on close-range can be misleading, as he just wanted to fight in front as a storm vanguard, not hang around as support fire.

For the Type-99 being unsuitable, this is very true. However, as the intention of the type-99 was to create a weapon usable for all suits, its not so much fitting the suit to the weapon but fitting the weapon to the suit(s). There is a limit on what can be done though, since the type-99 is a 120mm field artillery piece, equivalent in lenght to the Mk.57 support gun, but requiring more supporting equipment and attachments.
Also of note is that this weapon has been in development for many years, since the era of the first generation TSFs, so it would not be surprising that those 1st Gen suits might actually be more suited for this system, being of more rugged built and able to withstand recoil better. It would potentially provide a use for 1st Gen TSFs in the future instead of just phrasing them out.

I cannot express how excited I am to finally see it in action. It should make destroyer class armor as soft as -15 on the mohs scale.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
Old 2012-08-20, 00:33   Link #39
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
For the Type-99 being unsuitable, this is very true. However, as the intention of the type-99 was to create a weapon usable for all suits, its not so much fitting the suit to the weapon but fitting the weapon to the suit(s). There is a limit on what can be done though, since the type-99 is a 120mm field artillery piece, equivalent in lenght to the Mk.57 support gun, but requiring more supporting equipment and attachments.
Also of note is that this weapon has been in development for many years, since the era of the first generation TSFs, so it would not be surprising that those 1st Gen suits might actually be more suited for this system, being of more rugged built and able to withstand recoil better. It would potentially provide a use for 1st Gen TSFs in the future instead of just phrasing them out.
A-10 with the railgun instead of Mk.57
Old 2012-08-20, 01:37   Link #40
tsunade666

Its a good episode but its painstakingly hard to watch -_- they really took time on that harassment with Inia and Cryska and Yuuya sure take his time for entering. "Hero always come late?"

I don't know Yui anymore or rather its from the past episode but from this point on I completely forgot that she is the strict type of a commander. She is completely tame now > __ > and stupid brats without discipline and they are in front lines. I fear for the front lines.

Taking out their anger on fellow humans than the actual threat and no wonder the planet is getting invaded and they can't fought/win back because they cost countless bickering than actual fighting. Humans will be extinct and its not because some BETA-tan invaded or a disease/virus spreads that can kill in contact. It will be extinct and its because of humans own fault.