AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-04, 22:16   Link #401
mosmos
Awakend Of Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Her name is ルネ - RU/LU(ル) NE(ネ)
It's written phonetically - so what you see is what you get (l and r are the same letter in japanese - hence rune/lune). No hidden meanings or other clues.

Riful pointed out that Rune/Lune can be a weird Japanese way they can choose to spell Rene (after le French pronounciation).

So pick your favorite, they're all equivalent.
Ok. Thank you.
Old 2008-07-04, 22:25   Link #402
Enara
Riful #1 fan + Browncoat

Let's call her Lune for now until the real trans. chapter 81 comes out.

that what we we've ben calling her so far

Riful's hair was longer.
Old 2008-07-04, 22:37   Link #403
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
About Riful getting better at suppressing youki, it certainly is a possibility but it's strange she wasn't that good before. She had so much time to fully develop this skill and conveniently she managed to do so now.
What bothers me is that Raki started travelling with Priscilla "many years ago" (according to shrimpy's translation) meaning it must have been not long after we've seen him last. So from the start Raki assumed that she was harmless awakened being even though he didn't know her that much. Even if he knew about her true identity only after he started to travel with her alone, it would be bold statement that he didn't see her eating guts, because he wasn't with Priscilla at all times then. It seems anime wasn't that far away from truth after all.
I think you can't say that Riful wasn't that good before when she could make a fool out of most Claymore by hiding her power. Even Alicia could sense only her outer layer too. Vol09 Chapter49 page124. And that was after Riful had transformed. It no doubt would be harder to sense her when she was in her human form. But just like I said the problem is that Rune is the Eye. She should do better than other Claymore. But at least Riful compliments her so she may be really good at some points.

I think Raki knows that Prissy eat human's gut. Some translations from Shrimpy.

-I started traveling with this little girl many years ago
-She hasn't eaten a single thing since then

It means Prissy just stop eating gut when they traveled together. And Raki knew that. Now I can imagine when Raki decided to leave her. Prissy must try to cling onto him. Start crying. Make innocent face. And promise him "I won't eat anymore please stay with me, okay?" Try looking at page 24 of this chapter and imagine if you were Raki. Can you break a girl's heart?

About the idea that Raki will come to rescue Rune. I also think that but I think it won't happen because it means Prissy must tell Raki. And I find that she has no reason to tell him. Even if it happens, to think that Raki can help Rune from Riful is truly ridiculous. <_<

Last edited by zato_1one; 2008-07-04 at 23:00.
Old 2008-07-04, 22:39   Link #404
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

Renee's name is spelled the same way as René Descartes in Katakana. So it probably is Renee that is the closest to an actual name. The NE to her name is not silent and so it sounds more like "Ru-Neigh" or "Ru-Nay" Something close to that. But it is all preference. In just straight romanji it would be written as Lune or Rune, so it is not wrong. But like Youma = Yoma in the english translation it really doesn't matter that much . I am starting to like the name Renee.
Old 2008-07-04, 23:09   Link #405
mosmos
Awakend Of Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
Renee's name is spelled the same way as René Descartes in Katakana. So it probably is Renee that is the closest to an actual name. The NE to her name is not silent and so it sounds more like "Ru-Neigh" or "Ru-Nay" Something close to that. But it is all preference. In just straight romanji it would be written as Lune or Rune, so it is not wrong. But like Youma = Yoma in the english translation it really doesn't matter that much . I am starting to like the name Renee.
I prefer Renee too..
Old 2008-07-04, 23:10   Link #406
Riful
Of The West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enara View Post
Let's call her Lune for now until the real trans. chapter 81 comes out.

that what we we've ben calling her so far
There is no need to wait for a "real" scanlation, since her name was mentioned quite a bit earlier and Viz called her Renee. So her official name is Renee
Old 2008-07-04, 23:45   Link #407
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

Anyone think Raki wanting to bring Priscilla to Clare has anything to do with the fact that he saw Clare pass her limit and retain humanity? He doesn't know about Jean or Clare's limb awakening, but he has met AB's and knows Clare almost became one but was able to pull back, which should be impossible. That or he just wants to take care of Priscilla and find Clare and the two goals have little to do with each other.
Old 2008-07-05, 00:02   Link #408
clarakiss~
the toeto nomster~!!

for some reason i like the name 'rune' better. ^^;
Old 2008-07-05, 00:08   Link #409
Riful
Of The West

But ... Rune is not a name
Anyway, as chibimonster said, it's up to personal preference, but it is also pretty obvious that her name is supposed to be "Renee". Just like Irene's name is obviously Irene and still people call her differently, like Ilena ... right chibi It's not a big deal really.
Old 2008-07-05, 00:17   Link #410
NobodyMan
Trying to be somebody

Send a message via MSN to NobodyMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
Anyone think Raki wanting to bring Priscilla to Clare has anything to do with the fact that he saw Clare pass her limit and retain humanity? He doesn't know about Jean or Clare's limb awakening, but he has met AB's and knows Clare almost became one but was able to pull back, which should be impossible. That or he just wants to take care of Priscilla and find Clare and the two goals have little to do with each other.
I think that is possible as well. He may want Clare to try and save priscilla before she snaps. Another possibility is that when Priscilla goes over her limit, he may want to be with Clare so she can help him stop Priscilla's rampage, even if it means they have to kill her, which Clare will do gladly.

Sig made by Yumii-chan.
Avi made by Woodburner
Old 2008-07-05, 00:45   Link #411
Sunater
Sùnater Annès

Send a message via MSN to Sunater
OMG first "Afro" claymore ever.. hahahaa

And she met 2 Dwellers of The Deep at one day?
Thats not everyday thing.. I like her awesomeness..

Raki looks scary calm, like he has hidden plans about the situation that most likely would happen later.. And my has he grown up....
Old 2008-07-05, 00:48   Link #412
Xhokhusmak

Galatea and Rune are about the same...

They both sensed Riful to be somebody that's really strong, but not Abyssal strong, until it was too late. Riful's yoki hiding has been pretty consistent with most of the claymores, including when she was with #3 and #5.

Teresa wasn't able to detect Priscilla. What makes you think that Galatea or Rune could?

Now I hope Riful rapefully assimilates Rune as an ally, but not awaken her, so she'll all be strong and she can get on what she was planning to do already and move on with the story and be more cool and make me love her way more since she'll have a hawt Claymore minion.
Old 2008-07-05, 00:56   Link #413
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunater View Post
OMG first "Afro" claymore ever.. hahahaa

And she met 2 Dwellers of The Deep at one day?
Thats not everyday thing.. I like her awesomeness..

Raki looks scary calm, like he has hidden plans about the situation that most likely would happen later.. And my has he grown up....
Priscilla isn't an abysal one , she's stronger than it
Old 2008-07-05, 01:02   Link #414
Stream
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Then again, I might not...

Also, I agree with the Renée spelling. From how I would pronounce ルネ, Renée is closer than how I would pronounce Rune or Lune.
Old 2008-07-05, 01:18   Link #415
Sunater
Sùnater Annès

Send a message via MSN to Sunater
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_kenshin View Post
Priscilla isn't an abysal one , she's stronger than it
Not that far stronger.. But yes i guess..
Old 2008-07-05, 01:26   Link #416
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhokhusmak View Post
Galatea and Rune are about the same...

They both sensed Riful to be somebody that's really strong, but not Abyssal strong, until it was too late. Riful's yoki hiding has been pretty consistent with most of the claymores, including when she was with #3 and #5.

Teresa wasn't able to detect Priscilla. What makes you think that Galatea or Rune could?

Now I hope Riful rapefully assimilates Rune as an ally, but not awaken her, so she'll all be strong and she can get on what she was planning to do already and move on with the story and be more cool and make me love her way more since she'll have a hawt Claymore minion.
Wait do we have any reason to believe Galatea didn't know what she was walking into when going after Clare in that cave? I think she knew that it was an Abyssal. Planned to grab Clare and head out, but sadly things didn't turn out exactly like that.

Lune is certainly above the average in terms of sensing. Was able to pick up Riful's presence. Though clearly didn't know the kind of opponent that she had on her trail. Knew it was an awakened one, but probably only thought it was average. Wouldn't say she is at the same level of Galatea, but apparently good enough for Riful's purposes.

Anyways Raki certainly has picked up confidence. Calming the village down for a time with some logic about the situation. After all no one likes being called a youma . Tossing the no harming humans rule at her like that. Still she paid for even touching the guy with the scare of her life. Well until a short period later when Riful caught her.
Old 2008-07-05, 02:01   Link #417
zato_1one

Now that I've checked back the witch's maw arc. It seems I really underestimated Riful. It was true that Galatea could sense Riful when she sat in her basement. But both Galatea and Clare couldn't even notice when Riful came out and sat behind their back. It showed how fast Riful was when she got serious.
Old 2008-07-05, 02:04   Link #418
KillerYomaFromSpace

I'm liking the new generarion of warriors less and less with evey new character that appears, is the organization making them that way on purpose?

the question now is: What is Isley up to now that he is not with Priscila? Did he just let her go?
Old 2008-07-05, 02:12   Link #419
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riful View Post
There is no need to wait for a "real" scanlation, since her name was mentioned quite a bit earlier and Viz called her Renee. So her official name is Renee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riful View Post
But ... Rune is not a name
Anyway, as chibimonster said, it's up to personal preference, but it is also pretty obvious that her name is supposed to be "Renee". Just like Irene's name is obviously Irene and still people call her differently, like Ilena ... right chibi It's not a big deal really.
Give it a rest and let people do as they want.

As for "real" and "official" versions - please don't start. The Japanese language is not something that you get to own and define by buying the rights the rights to release a manga. I'm still bitter about how how Viz botched Galatea's best lines in the Witches Maw - the needlessly poor translations in those chapters ruined many of my favorite sections (Yes, I read them all 3 version - japanese, fan scanlation and Viz switching between them).

You yourself said earlier that レネ(rene) [not ルネ(rune)] is the more common way of transcribing Renee. Given that, your stubborn insistance that everyone adopt your way is getting a bit annoying.

Ultimately though, it doesn't matter what she's called - this is going to be one of the last times we get to see her, so why make this fuss about it?

Or should I start pointing out that "Riful is not a name!" and start calling you Riffle? Name or not, Rune/Lune is what it says.
Old 2008-07-05, 02:16   Link #420
Flar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyMan View Post
Heh, if Raki's going to die (which I hope he doesn't), I hope it would be an epic death, one that would please both the Raki lovers and the Raki haters. But alas, this is Claymore, where anyone can die at the drop of a hat.
where red shirts, support characters and mentor archetype can die at the drop of a hat, you mean, I think. Clare, Raki and Priscilla are totally safe until the very end, and even then I'm not sure Yagi would go for a downer ending, though with the time gap, he shifted from the roaring rampage of revenge plot prompted by Teresa's death to something a bit more complex
Closed Thread