AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 86 50.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 30.77%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 9.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 4.73%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.59%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.78%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-17, 19:54   Link #321
typhonsentra

Who the hell was saying the Haruhi novels were subpar? Again, it was an award winning, long running series before the show came about and an English language Someone even decided to go ahead and start translating the first book back in 2005 before it became more normal for saomeone to undertake a project like that (FMP is the only other translation project like that which I can think of back then).

And when I'm talking about Haruhi before the novel premiered I'm talking about it's popularity in Japan since obviously there's not much of a way we could've known about it back then.
Old 2009-03-17, 20:17   Link #322
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Talking about going off topic with other series..

On topic.. I didn't care for how Minori was animated as she held Taiga against the wall. She looked a little too crazy to me.
Old 2009-03-17, 20:22   Link #323
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
On topic.. I didn't care for how Minori was animated as she held Taiga against the wall. She looked a little too crazy to me.
USO DAAAAAAAA

In all honesty, I loved that scene because of how crazy she looked.
Old 2009-03-17, 20:22   Link #324
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Who the hell was saying the Haruhi novels were subpar? Again, it was an award winning, long running series before the show came about and an English language Someone even decided to go ahead and start translating the first book back in 2005 before it became more normal for saomeone to undertake a project like that (FMP is the only other translation project like that which I can think of back then).
Well, that's only what I've read on some boards. Of course, it could be a case of exaggeration or personal opinion (or they're simply comparing prose style to mainstream novels).

As for popular and award-winning, there isn't necessarily a strong correlation with good prose, especially where light novels are concerned. For instance, Toaru Majutsu no Index enjoys undeniable popularity and was a runner-up for an award, but is harshly criticized by many.
Old 2009-03-17, 20:23   Link #325
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
Well, that's only what I've read on some boards. Of course, it could be a case of exaggeration or personal opinion (or they're simply comparing prose style to mainstream novels).
Might want to try ACTUALLY READING THE BOOKS, man.

Especially since they're incredibly good and have this really unique style of narration.
Old 2009-03-17, 20:29   Link #326
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
USO DAAAAAAAA

In all honesty, I loved that scene because of how crazy she looked.
Yeah, but she looked a little too crazy for my tastes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Might want to try ACTUALLY READING THE BOOKS, man.

Especially since they're incredibly good and have this really unique style of narration.
I'm planning on reading the novel in the near future. I wish it was printed on a physical book, but oh well.
Old 2009-03-17, 21:08   Link #327
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

alot of manga series will release a anime as nothing more than advertising for the books (eg. i love my little sister, kiss x sis... hmm sorry the first two off the top of my head were incestuous)

maybe the anime is nothing more than to make the series more popular. it worked for Haruhi.
Old 2009-03-18, 00:48   Link #328
Sinfully Naomi
Teddytears
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Sinfully Naomi
When Minori asked "What are you going to do?" If I was Takasu, I would've said. "Screw this, I'm going to Disney Land, forgetting this stuff ever happened. I don't even know any of you anymore!"
Old 2009-03-18, 11:38   Link #329
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I'm planning on reading the novel in the near future. I wish it was printed on a physical book, but oh well.
Well, isn't it? Or rather, aren't they? "Light novel" and "visual novel" are different... light novels are actual, physical books. Go to amazon.co.jp (or a physical Japanese bookshop if your area has one) and see for yourself. I imagine light novels are ideal material for anime fans wishing to practise/learn Japanese since they're not too deep or philosophical and tend to have lots of furigana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
maybe the anime is nothing more than to make the series more popular. it worked for Haruhi.
But surely a television programme would generate more revenue than any amount of printed material? Income from advertising and the price of DVDs compared to the price of books...
Old 2009-03-18, 12:45   Link #330
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Um, to a large extent - that is the purpose of ALL anime tv broadcast: to boost sales of the source material and related merchandise (including manga, light novels, figures, and DVDs).

Haruhi was a top sales item in light novels on its own long before the anime. The anime exploded the way it did because the first episode was so completely unexpected in design and it had that little dance at the end. Couple that with its disorienting jumps around in time during broadcast, the entertaining hodgepodge of science fiction and it took off.

Toradora is also doing respectably well in light novel sales prior to the anime -- the oddity here is that it is a story that doesn't fit easily into one publishing genre and has crossover appeal. The anime only had some issues at the start because many viewers (mostly Western as I don't believe I've seen this error on Japanese channels) mistakenly assumed it was "just another loli-tsundere escapade". In Japan, it is doing reasonably well. It will be interesting to see if it ends up being adapted to live-action.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-03-18 at 13:58.
Old 2009-03-18, 13:34   Link #331
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
Well, isn't it? Or rather, aren't they? "Light novel" and "visual novel" are different... light novels are actual, physical books. Go to amazon.co.jp (or a physical Japanese bookshop if your area has one) and see for yourself. I imagine light novels are ideal material for anime fans wishing to practise/learn Japanese since they're not too deep or philosophical and tend to have lots of furigana.

But surely a television programme would generate more revenue than any amount of printed material? Income from advertising and the price of DVDs compared to the price of books...

Yes, but how much does it cost to make a animated OVA or anime series? Compare that cost to the cost of printing paper back novellas.

im not saying i know how much these things cost, but I know for sure that there are some OVAs like the ones I mentioned that their only purpose was to support the manga.

Vexx, about the Haruhi thing. I really don't know much about when it was popular or not. There was a previous post that stated the anime brought about the LNs popularity. I was basing my comment off that previous post.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=2278669&postcount=311

I only discovered Haruhi in November so I havn't been around for the whole ride.

Last edited by fish eric; 2009-03-18 at 13:44.
Old 2009-03-18, 21:27   Link #332
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
Quote:
alot of manga series will release a anime as nothing more than advertising for the books (eg. i love my little sister, kiss x sis... hmm sorry the first two off the top of my head were incestuous)

Try Koi Kaze (rofl)
Old 2009-03-19, 09:17   Link #333
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
I dont understand the study in contrasts remark. But Toradora does have excellent characters better than some of the clannad characters. Taiga and Ami I think really shine in this series compared to Ryou or Tomoyo from Clannad.

However nobody is better
no one more kawaii
ichiban desu

[Fuuko image]

some people said they found her annoying. i found her endearing.

all this is IMO and IME only.
The "study in contrasts" remark about Clannad was aimed at "the first season was almost as funny as school rumble". I remember that when the first season was still airing, there were lots of comments along these lines: "don't compare Clannad to Kanon because Clannad is meant to be a school life comedy, not a tearjerker"... that was the impression people got from Season 1, and Season 2 showed how wrong they were.

Anyway, back onto topic (Toradora) and sorry to steal your lines, but... IMO, nobody is better than Tenori Taiga... ichiban desu! As much as I like Clannad, the Clannad girls were "extreme examples" of stereotypes: pureness (Nagisa), silliness (Fuuko), moe-ness (Kotomi), shyness (Ryou), etc. On the other hand, Taiga's appeal is a whole lot more than her being a "tsundere".
Old 2009-03-19, 14:09   Link #334
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, much as I like Clannad (or Kanon, AIR, etc); their characters are examples of extreme archetypes (even if well-executed). Toradora comes closer to presenting somewhat realistically complex individuals with a variety of attributes, conflicting self-motivation, and so forth. It is just the differences in the nature of the source material and the genre.
Old 2009-03-19, 14:27   Link #335
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
The "study in contrasts" remark about Clannad was aimed at "the first season was almost as funny as school rumble". I remember that when the first season was still airing, there were lots of comments along these lines: "don't compare Clannad to Kanon because Clannad is meant to be a school life comedy, not a tearjerker"... that was the impression people got from Season 1, and Season 2 showed how wrong they were.

Anyway, back onto topic (Toradora) and sorry to steal your lines, but... IMO, nobody is better than Tenori Taiga... ichiban desu! As much as I like Clannad, the Clannad girls were "extreme examples" of stereotypes: pureness (Nagisa), silliness (Fuuko), moe-ness (Kotomi), shyness (Ryou), etc. On the other hand, Taiga's appeal is a whole lot more than her being a "tsundere".
I can't disagree with what you said. The Clannad girls are very cliche but I still love fuuko. (isn't this something like the starfish vs big dango family argument?) they will have to share top place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, much as I like Clannad (or Kanon, AIR, etc); their characters are examples of extreme archetypes (even if well-executed). Toradora comes closer to presenting somewhat realistically complex individuals with a variety of attributes, conflicting self-motivation, and so forth. It is just the differences in the nature of the source material and the genre.
yes, the toradora characters are as close to real as you would want in an anime. we've seen alot of character development especially with Taiga and Ami. Ryuji still suffers from TSLCD (typical shonen lead character disease)
Old 2009-03-19, 17:08   Link #336
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
yes, the toradora characters are as close to real as you would want in an anime. we've seen alot of character development especially with Taiga and Ami. Ryuji still suffers from TSLCD (typical shonen lead character disease)
Another adaptation failure... Ryuuji is better characterized in the books.

At least they kept his OCD-ness, which makes him a much more interesting character than your usual typical shonen lead.
Old 2009-03-19, 17:19   Link #337
puppygod

Yeah. Problem with Ryuuji is that he is extremely introvert and tends to give others the benefit of the doubt. So from the side view he might seem to be dense, rather than keeping his thoughts to himself and eschewing judgments.
Old 2009-03-19, 17:35   Link #338
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppygod View Post
Yeah. Problem with Ryuuji is that he is extremely introvert and tends to give others the benefit of the doubt. So from the side view he might seem to be dense, rather than keeping his thoughts to himself and eschewing judgments.
yea. even in the novels he will say what would be really cool replys during emotional moments and then at the end of his sentance it will say But he didn't say this and just nodded his head and went

"Oh"
Old 2009-03-20, 04:37   Link #339
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
yea. even in the novels he will say what would be really cool replys during emotional moments and then at the end of his sentance it will say But he didn't say this and just nodded his head and went

"Oh"
...is there a word that can describe that sort of trait.

because it's one that tends to get me into a bit of trouble.

Whenever some sort of emotional thing happens, I stare blankly, ponder at what would be a good thing to say, THINK about saying it, say it to them in my head, then just say "I see"
I usually will hear "What, is that all you have to say?" or "That's it?"
...no helping it though. I'm introvert to the core.

もいちど。。。
Old 2009-03-20, 05:16   Link #340
Fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
...is there a word that can describe that sort of trait.

because it's one that tends to get me into a bit of trouble.

Whenever some sort of emotional thing happens, I stare blankly, ponder at what would be a good thing to say, THINK about saying it, say it to them in my head, then just say "I see"
I usually will hear "What, is that all you have to say?" or "That's it?"
...no helping it though. I'm introvert to the core.
Actually that would make you a reticent coward!
Closed Thread