AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 20 27.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 31.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 16.22%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 10.81%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 6.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 4.05%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.70%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-11-28, 06:22   Link #41
coderlan
Student

This side story should've been morphed into a romance story between Touma and Biribiri, but what can you expect? they just copied the manga instead of making it more interesting... nonetheless this episode has nothing special again... *sigh*
coderlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 07:18   Link #42
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus17 View Post
Btw, did you guys notice that the animation and art in this eppie were kinda better than in some of the previous episodes? Same goes to screenplay too. I wonder who was working on these things for 9th ep., there's still no info about it at anidb...
Quite the opposite, actually. The quality of the fight scene in particular was some of the worst I've seen in the series so far. Kuroko was so thin and stocky there, and the action was far too slow. Way too many stills combined with awkward body movements, sometimes in semi-slow motion as well.

Frankly, this entire episode was slow. I found myself fighting the urge to simply skip forward more than once, which is a first for this series. Lines which were drawn or even said in slowmotion at times felt like they were simply done so to fill screentime. The Saten drama was overdone, way too much time spend on the same thing a couple of times in a row, which destroyed the very effect it aimed to achieve.

A below average episode. Well, I suppose every anime has at least two or three of these.

5/10
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 07:51   Link #43
Joe_fh

Well what do you know - the events from last episode turned into a plot whole. Why don't they have any info on the Level upper after all that in the rpevious episode?
Moving on from that I don't know about you guys but doesn't the pace of the anime bother you? In the begining they were taking things really slow with allmost filler like episodes and now they're rushing into the plot like there's no tomorrow

They missed the second "big event" that connects Index and Railgun this time without any reason whatsoever (for some there might have been a reason last time but this time there wasn't any) Well it's obvious they don't want to show that the events are connected. It's like they are trying their best to show that jsut the characters are the same and nothing else. Reely wierd and unnecessary in my opinion.
Still it was a bit disappointing not to see that scene.

Saten still sinking in the depts of self pitty and her ever growing inferiority complex. Well at least Misaka tried saying something to her. Still she kept quite in earlier episodes where it was more important to talk. Got to say that Saten has guts even without an ability - she showed it during episode one and again now. Because of this it irritates me even more her friends are there for her.
It's for the sake of plot development but still. The world is full of people that are better than you in the things that you like to do and that's not a reason for you to do crazy stuff. Especially if you have really good friends like in her case. The more I see this the more it feels really unnatural.

Kuroko's ability is really cool. She can do so many things with it and you have to be smart and plan ahead to use it efficiently which I like a lot.
The action scenes were good but they felt a bit rushed and a bit slow at the same time. It didn't really feel like Kuroko was in trouble or something like that. They lacked a certain factor that most action scene have (can't think of the right word right now)

Next episode looks good but why do I doubt Misaka would really end up saying that phrase. I mean no one said something similar so far so why the sudden change. We'll see though.
Joe_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 08:36   Link #44
Aqua Knight

Saten is the hottest girl in Railgun.
And the episode is nothing special again.
5/10
Aqua Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 09:19   Link #45
tsunade666

I watched this one with a faster speed. Its just that they removed a nice scene then add up filler type scenes and then slowed up the fighting scenes.

I like better the longed speech of touma even though its boring but the speech has its meaning than some SLOW MOTIONED fighting scene that shouldn't even take a minute or two of the anime.

And the stupid antics are fun and all but if its keeps repeating itself its getting tiresome.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 09:49   Link #46
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Okay, I just watched ep 9 and tried my best not to look here before (I know this ep's gonna get rants like the rest of Railgun, in a bad way.) So anyway,

> The Level Upper discussion is somewhat slow for me. The conversation ain't that chunky and it felt like the shown convo was just less than 3 minutes long. D:

> Saten is once again feeling emo, but her choice of fashion is <3. (Always reminds me of Mio's choice of wardrobe.) I wonder, do Level Upper users always have a bad experience in life so they turn to this to solve their problems? Also, the episode felt like it was Saten's episode despite Kuroko's screentime.

> The battle scene with Kuroko and the gangsta takes the biggest interest in me. How it was managed was at par with most of the scenes in Index, but... well, I enjoyed it anyway. :P

Score: 7/10
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 11:31   Link #47
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

There should have been more stripping scientist stripping.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 11:38   Link #48
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Kuroko was pretty cool this ep.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 11:39   Link #49
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderlan View Post
This side story should've been morphed into a romance story between Touma and Biribiri, but what can you expect? they just copied the manga instead of making it more interesting... nonetheless this episode has nothing special again... *sigh*
This is an interest comment. While we have this side who dislike every and any deviation from the original (for Railgun specifically), we have another who wants something different. I agree with spicing things up, but that just shows you can never satisfy everyone.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 11:41   Link #50
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Just because I feel like being contrary, I felt this to be one of the best episodes of the series. Saten's emotional ilemma was handled quite well, and those scenes felt specially emotional. The action scene was good, and for once we get plot development.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 12:12   Link #51
Ashaman

I liked the episode, and I had forgotten about the schelduled Touma appearence, so that was no problemfor me, but all through out that fight, I just felt that there was something wrong, but even now I don't know what it is. Weird.

It's good how Kuroko finally got to show her more serious side, something that has been a bit lacking in Railgun.

I really liked how they portrayed Satens dilemma about Level Upper, but I am surprised that when she heard there were 'side effects' she didn't ask 'like what?'
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 12:23   Link #52
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Just because I feel like being contrary, I felt this to be one of the best episodes of the series. Saten's emotional ilemma was handled quite well, and those scenes felt specially emotional. The action scene was good, and for once we get plot development.
Hmm, while I agree that the individual scenes were all well done, all of them stuffed together in one episode, and in such rapid succession, there was a bit of a drama overload in my head. Too much of one thing is never a good thing, and I think this episode could have benefited from at least one, perhaps two of those scenes being taken out, possibly placing them in one of the previous episodes, like the bomber one. That would have been a good time for one of the 'we're living in separate worlds' scene.
Old 2009-11-28, 12:48   Link #53
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderlan View Post
Nah, that would be boring. And... If they did, a lot of people would be complaining over the changes in the manga and all. Like someone said before, it is an adaption of the Railgun manga so they should not change the material... Or something like that.

PS: Special...? If every episode was "special", it wouldn't be "special" anymore, I think...? What are the people wanting a special episode looking for? An episode animated by Shaft so the entire episode is completely different from the usual and thus special?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 13:07   Link #54
Miraluka
Banned

Oh ups I wanted to rate this episode 7/10 but I ranted this with a 10/10 =_=; I can't re-do my vote.... is just like the character thread pole..... I didn't know that it was a thread with multiple choices DX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Nah, that would be boring. And... If they did, a lot of people would be complaining over the changes in the manga and all. Like someone said before, it is an adaption of the Railgun manga so they should not change the material... Or something like that.
I agree, I'm sick/bored of the typical pairings of J.C.Staff..... well the adaptation of the manga have a bit of the "original material rape" with some fillers but really I don't care of them....
Now, I'm more worried about the posts in the net saying that this season is going to be a 12/13 season.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 14:33   Link #55
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
This is an interest comment. While we have this side who dislike every and any deviation from the original (for Railgun specifically), we have another who wants something different. I agree with spicing things up, but that just shows you can never satisfy everyone.
You are expecting more than just yuri? Maybe a left-sided expansion of Touma Biribiri's harem?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 14:58   Link #56
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I shall join you and say this is definitely one of the best episodes of the series. We are actually getting some sort of story here and now people are going "meh." I guess people here don't actually like plot and action. They want to see cute girls do cute things for the whole series.

I rated this episode a 8.5, which rounds up to a 9 on the poll.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 15:20   Link #57
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I shall join you and say this is definitely one of the best episodes of the series. We are actually getting some sort of story here and now people are going "meh." I guess people here don't actually like plot and action. They want to see cute girls do cute things for the whole series.
I actually can't help but feel offended at that. Especially since I've always been a great supporter of more Saten development because of her involvement in the plot.

What I dislike is not the scenes, but their execution. As I said before, too much of one thing is never good, and the Saten drama scenes could have used a bit more spreading over several episodes, rather than stuff them all in one.
Old 2009-11-28, 16:35   Link #58
Mentar
Banned

The Saten development HAS been spread out over multiple episodes. Don't tell me you missed it?

We've got a clear case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" here. If J.C.Staff doesn't adapt the manga source and just stays true to it, people complain about not spicing things up enough. When they do (like in this ep, by concentrating on the Saten backstory, on the expense of one Touma scene), other people jump in complain either. It's a lose-lose situation.

Keroko, what I'm going to say is not directed against you, but rather the Animesuki community as a whole (me included): If I were in any way involved in the professional production of anime, I'd be disgusted at us. There has such a spoiled and arrogant-ungrateful undertone developed on anime boards in general that it's bothering me - a fellow fan with no attachment to the project. Most of us are paying zip for the fansubs, and still we act as if the anime creators/producers were peasants in front of our throne. Is this unappreciative behavior the way to go? I only wandered here by coincidence since I wanted to see what people were writing about Kuroko, but seriously guys, what I read in this thread bothers me bigtime.

Just a bit of food for thought. Flame away.

(Oh, about the ep: I thought that they managed to work out Saten's development wonderfully. Too bad about skipping Touma, I'd have liked to see him. Good execution of the Kuroko battle. IMHO)
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 16:50   Link #59
HandofFate

anyone else feel that The Anti-Skill are useless?

For a group called "Anti-Skill" I thought the members would process...anti-skills.
Like abilitys that help to fight powers when people go rogue? Like healing/barrier or making cages.. But they're just a swat team, and Judgement has the people with abilities..
Old 2009-11-28, 17:18   Link #60
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
anyone else feel that The Anti-Skill are useless?

For a group called "Anti-Skill" I thought the members would process...anti-skills.
They aren't espers, but I would expect them to have special anti-esper equipment/techniques. Esper powers are a science, after all, so just fight science with SCIENCE!!!! Or something. Maybe they get some more time to shine in a novel somewhere?