AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-03-20, 09:22   Link #1741
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Well Media just love Bad news .... To them No bad news no good rating = no money

Back to the topic how the logistics , are the food n water reaching the affected people/towns ?
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 09:31   Link #1742
NameGoesHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
The professor is funny... "there must have been a leakage"... the question is if the leakage was intentional and part of the design. How many times can an emergency venting of the reactor pressure vessel occur until the coolant level becomes critical (only TEPCO employees know how often and how long the ventings were)? Sometimes, I have the feeling, that the interaction of safety mechanisms is poorly tested.
I'm sorry, but could you please clarify what you mean by "the coolant level becomes critical"? I know MITNSE has been linked here before, but it really is an extremely basic overview...

Disclosure: Personally I believe the chances of a sustained reaction in either the reactor and the pool are greatly over-hyped.
NameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 09:50   Link #1743
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameGoesHere View Post
I'm sorry, but could you please clarify what you mean by "the coolant level becomes critical"? I know MITNSE has been linked here before, but it really is an extremely basic overview...

Disclosure: Personally I believe the chances of a sustained reaction in either the reactor and the pool are greatly over-hyped.
Critical in a sense that the fuel rods are exposed. I have prepared a detailed posting here just so that you know whats my source of information. And I am not talking about a sustained reaction.
Old 2011-03-20, 09:58   Link #1744
sneaker

Germany will now send the first batch of equipment to Japan after a request by Tepco. More is to follow.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 11:10   Link #1745
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
1. They could be opportunistic criminal outsiders from other prefectures that are going to sell them when they return.

2. There are petty criminals opportunistic in every country. Just that in Japan these things happen on a low scale especially for the given population size of Japan 127,560,000 people ( Census 2009). Thus their criminal percentage is low... and the rest of the world is amazed. However, when things like this happen, there are bound to be found... since people are looking for it really hard.

They want to see, really badly, some kind of base human nature in the people of Japan.

I know that some people in the west really wanted to see looting and such.

I venture to say that some media sources got bored with the overall situation in Japan when no Katrina style problems unfolded.

I could be wrong.

I mean I get the feeling that there are people who just want to see bad behavior occurring. But why ?
I believe that the western media feels some want threatened (and annoyed) when they found something they did not expect.
They already(unconsciously) had a script and plan on how to report but when they arrived they found something they hadn't expected and were at lost on how to report it.
Humans expect that all humans are the same and expect them to act the same and becomes threatened (and maybe even intimidated) when observing something different.
I see some phyco-babble on why the Japanese reacted differently saying it is a form of collectivism or even the difference in religion but the truth is we Japanese are only acting what we would in a normal situation and abiding the rules that each and everyone is taught to follow whether it be east or west, a simple principle of do not do what you would not else to do against you(I believe it is the same philosophy written in the bible).
Do you follow rules because there are authorities that may punish you if you do not obey or believe it is to maintain the flow of society?
Basically I believe Japanese believes in the later which is why this society works coherently, nothing more nothing less.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 11:19   Link #1746
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
I believe that the western media feels some want threatened (and annoyed) when they found something they did not expect.
They already(unconsciously) had a script and plan on how to report but when they arrived they found something they hadn't expected and were at lost on how to report it.
Ashamed, too, I think. I mean, pillaging and whatnot is "fine" if you believe it's what anyone would do in the circumstance. The Japanese just demonstrated that it wasn't an inevitability, though.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 11:26   Link #1747
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Humans expect that all humans are the same and expect them to act the same and becomes threatened (and maybe even intimidated) when observing something different.
I see some phyco-babble on why the Japanese reacted differently saying it is a form of collectivism or even the difference in religion but the truth is we Japanese are only acting what we would in a normal situation and abiding the rules that each and everyone is taught to follow whether it be east or west, a simple principle of do not do what you would not else to do against you(I believe it is the same philosophy written in the bible).
Do you follow rules because there are authorities that may punish you if you do not obey or believe it is to maintain the flow of society?
Basically I believe Japanese believes in the later which is why this society works coherently, nothing more nothing less.
Frankly, this is one of the aspects that has long appealed to me about Japanese culture that seems terribly lacking in modern US (and other) society. The US has much it could learn from Japan and Japan has much it could learn from the US... sadly, its often the "bad ideas" that seem to get transferred in such exchanges.
Old 2011-03-20, 11:30   Link #1748
sneaker

Quote:
[...], a simple principle of do not do what you would not else to do against you(I believe it is the same philosophy written in the bible).
Known as the categorical imperative.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 11:43   Link #1749
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It might be something to do with the general rebellion of sorts against conformity and what some would consider old "outdated" biblical laws and customs. The old rules just are not followed as they once were. Sometimes for the better...and sometimes not.
Old 2011-03-20, 11:58   Link #1750
Solafighter
Hige

... Give it 2 month and nobody will talk about the risks of an Nuclear Power Plant anymore. ...

Sad but true fact.
Old 2011-03-20, 12:10   Link #1751
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
... Give it 2 month and nobody will talk about the risks of an Nuclear Power Plant anymore. ...

Sad but true fact.
More like 2 or 3 seconds... today's news cycle has forgotten all about Japan and rushed over to report the Libyan situation because by-the-gods there are EXPLOSIONS and GUNFIRE and CRUISE MISSILES!!!!!!! Never mind that the useful content is about a paragraph long. I had the "Sunday commentary/analysis" shows on this morning... they ran out of things to asks in about two minutes and just kept repeating themselves and their video footage because the officials had very little to tell them.

"Yes, we've thrown the kitchen sink at him"
(exciting footage of boomsplat)
"No, we don't have detailed assessments of the results yet"
(repeat ad nauseum til the officials are looking jaundiced at the reporters)

Meanwhile, the Japanese engineers and response forces are working their asses off and solving problems in the crisis ... incredibly great drama and tension, but with successes. But it requires knowledge and homework to cover properly. Seriously, sometimes I think news people come from the fail side of the classroom these days.

(anecdote: I know a news cameraman who works for a major station... he has no respect at all for most of the "news people" he films.... morons and idiots are the nicer things he says and he always has a new story)
Old 2011-03-20, 12:23   Link #1752
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 12:27   Link #1753
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Badass of the Week: Hideaki Aikawa

Yes, the guy who swam in scuba gear through the debris-strewn tsunami waters to look for his wife and mother got himself a place in BotW.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 12:28   Link #1754
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
More like 2 or 3 seconds... today's news cycle has forgotten all about Japan and rushed over to report the Libyan situation because by-the-gods there are EXPLOSIONS and GUNFIRE and CRUISE MISSILES!!!!!!!
Yup, the Guardian has dropped the live coverage a few days ago and the BBC just axed it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 12:35   Link #1755
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

More criticism of how the (US) media failed in the coverage of the disaster:

Quote:
...I must say that the coverage was, with some exceptions, largely substandard: full of factual errors, misconceptions, and bent towards sensationalism and alarmism.
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/arc...ng_stock_3.php
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 12:46   Link #1756
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISA
<Common Spent Fuel Pool>

It was confirmed that the water level of Spent Fuel Pool was maintained
full at after 06:00 March 18th.

As of 11:19 March 18th, the water temperature in the pool is 55℃.
As of 09:00 March 19th, the water temperature in the pool is 57℃.
http://www.nisa.meti.go.jp/english/f...110320-4-1.pdf
http://www.nisa.meti.go.jp/english/f...20110318-3.pdf

...I wonder if they will be opening up a few holes in the walls as a precautionary measure to vent out any hydrogen gas, as they did with units 5 & 6.

Other news on the earthquake rescue efforts, they're also sill finding people that needed rescuing since the time of the massive tsunami. NHK World has a video and an short article on it at: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/20_29.html
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 12:50   Link #1757
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Badass of the Week: Hideaki Aikawa

Yes, the guy who swam in scuba gear through the debris-strewn tsunami waters to look for his wife and mother got himself a place in BotW.
That is beyond bad ass... I swear that wife is feeling like the luckiest woman on the world.

Can u imagine how she felt ?

Then his mom ?

Make a man teary eyed, thinking about the joy they must have felt.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 13:02   Link #1758
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I would wonder if this coverage would signal a wakeup call for news to be reported instead of hype, but I know that is impossible.
Old 2011-03-20, 13:05   Link #1759
bayoab

Latest on the food and water.

I believe Iitate in Fukushima is the city with the strangely high radiation reading near the 30km radius that the residents (were?) asked to voluntarily evacuate earlier in the week.

Also, all surface temperatures in the spent fuel pools are well below 100C.

Last edited by bayoab; 2011-03-20 at 13:19.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 13:08   Link #1760
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Yup, the Guardian has dropped the live coverage a few days ago and the BBC just axed it.
It seems to me that the issues of the survivors being sheltered, warmed, clothed, having access to food, water and medical care, was sidelined by a non living nuclear facility... it dominated the coverage... the humans that survived the earthquake and tsunami took second place... even as it became evident that the power plant was slowly being stabilized... they did not return to the story of the people... they just ignored it.

I know there is a significant language barrier, so what about the story of the westerners who got caught in the disaster, and the few who stayed... their stories aren't important ?
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami