AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-05-19, 11:14   Link #1
m8-

Router - Firewall

Well, as you probably all think - I have a network. I'm behind my router's firewall and I want to cancel that firewall, since it makes me so much troubles with the ports, etc...

I gotta know how exactly I am able disable that firewall..
or better yet, if there is a possibility to work "WITH" the firewall I would be glad to hear about it.

By that I mean, even though I ain't the main computer whose network server runs on, can I just download a firewall program(probably Kerio) and disable the builtin firewall router using that software, or better than that, "merge" or work with that firewall, so I can open ports and stuff like that? I'm interested in that because I may want to keep the firewall enabled so the other computer will be protected as well.

I have no fucking clue about firewalls and it annoys me, I can't even get near about BT
m8- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 13:28   Link #2
TronDD
Team the box!

I'm a little confused by your post. Where are you? Is this at school, work, or home? Who ownes the router?

If this is at your house, you should be abe to map the ports you need on the router. Some have an option called "demilitarized zone" which can disable the firewall for one computer.

If it's at work or school, you're stuck.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 14:03   Link #3
Za Paper

Ifyou are talking about your home router, I wouldnt recommend DMZ because of security reasons. I use BT and other apps behind a firewall with no problems. Took me a while to understand the manual but you just have to learn how to use port forwarding.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 01:04   Link #4
m8-

Well, first off, it's in my home..

Za Paper, well, might wanna share your knowledge with me? how do you exactly port forwarding? what do you use to do that?

EDIT: Anyways, I know about the options now. Thanks.

However, where is the BT manual for the friggin ports?

Last edited by m8-; 2004-05-20 at 07:31.
Old 2004-05-20, 10:55   Link #5
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8-
Well, first off, it's in my home..

Za Paper, well, might wanna share your knowledge with me? how do you exactly port forwarding? what do you use to do that?

EDIT: Anyways, I know about the options now. Thanks.

However, where is the BT manual for the friggin ports?
I got ports 6881 to 6889 forwarded for BT.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 11:08   Link #6
m8-

Thanks. But if I'm not mistaken, there are options of controlling the router(opening ports, etc...) where is this located on XP?
Old 2004-05-20, 11:34   Link #7
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
look up your manual to access the router config
on mine i have to enter an ip into IE, which opens up the thing where i can change the settings
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 14:56   Link #8
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

m8: If you have a linksys router, PM me. I can give you step by step directions.
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 15:09   Link #9
UzumakiBatman
Me for teh pwnage :P

ne1 know good port settings to set bt on when running internet off a router? i cant connect to most trrackers cause of ma gay router
UzumakiBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 19:07   Link #10
cabbit
Fish Tin Turtle Lead Soup

Send a message via AIM to cabbit
As stated above, you should to to the "port forwarding" or "port mapping" settings in your router. Set it to open or enable the TCP port starting from 6881 and ending at 6889. You can probably give it a name like "BT ports" or something so you'll know what it is when looking at it in the future.

If you don't know how to access your firewall, you should read the manual. Alot of them are web based and can be acced by the IP 192.168.1.1. It is also your default gateway.

If you have one that you have to console in through a serial port or something, good luck! They are difficult to simple to configure depending on if they are command line based or ASCII art based.

If you have a CISCO router, they are not all that simple but they are awsome to configure and play around with. =) Also, if you have a CISCO and don't know how to configure it, you're a loser. I'll swap mines which is already setup for yours. =)

If you have something like a SonicWall, these are also easy to configure but at $1000-$5000 for a firewall, they are overkill. But these do have some awsome DDOS blocks!
cabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 19:33   Link #11
darkwave
Manual Mode

All you need to know about BT.
http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/#ports
darkwave is offline   Reply With Quote