AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-02-15, 05:00   Link #61
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to ReAn Send a message via AIM to ReAn Send a message via MSN to ReAn
Typically I prefer to download softsubs, and to release hardsubs. Im not a fan of scripts getting stolen (was part of Nanashi when E7 was being released, while it wasn't through soft-subbing some jackass (who shall remain nameless) stole our subs from our repo and sold/gave/whatevered them to another jackass who released crappy pre-edit / pre-qc versions of our subs on 360mb raws like a douche.

He was nice enough to tag them [Bizzaro-Nanashi] (giving us credit, but a lot of people thought we had released them, thus tainting Nanashi's image of high quality subbing albeit slow....)

Anyway, back to my point.

I prefer releasing hardsubs cuz im bitter about script theft, but i prefer to download softsubs because every soft subbed ep is a raw... which means (assuming the encoder had 1/2 a brain) i have the raws to the show already, and i can easily strip the subs and turn it into amvs, or various other works.
ReAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 06:38   Link #62
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReAn View Post
rabble rabble script stealing rabble our intellectual property
Please to be explaining how hardsubs prevent script "theft". (It might be a good idea to read the previous posts in the thread; look out for checkers' posts in particular.)
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 06:50   Link #63
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to ReAn Send a message via AIM to ReAn Send a message via MSN to ReAn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Please to be explaining how hardsubs prevent script "theft". (It might be a good idea to read the previous posts in the thread; look out for checkers' posts in particular.)
K, well i wouldn't say they prevent it, they just deter / make it tougher / more annoying.

With hardsub ripping, the ripper is 'stealing' (probably not the most appropriate word) or rather, the ripper is taking the translations.

With softsub ripping, the ripper is taking translation, timing, simple typeset, and styling (which admitedly is usually changed anyway).

As someone who's done every part of anime fansubbing other than translation, out of timing / typeset / encoding / editing / qc'ing id have to say timing is the least fun, the most tedious, and painfull (in my opinion).

It's more about how easy it is.

You put cookies on a table outside your store with prices and a sign saying "please pay inside" versus putting cookies on a shelf inside with a price and a sign "please pay at register"

Neither prevent the cookies from being stolen, it's just... you're more likely to have them stolen from the table outside.
Old 2008-02-15, 07:01   Link #64
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Ignoring the fact that I personally think timing is trivial (a lot less painful than, say, TS), I have to inform you that OCR copies timing as well.

I don't see the point of your cookie analogy at all though. As long as your scripts are released, anyone can "steal" them and use for whatever they want. You have absolutely no way of stopping this, so worrying about it at all is pointless. Better to just accept the fact that that's the way digital distribution works and let people do what they want. If you don't want other people to do things you don't approve of with "your" script, don't release it.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 11:54   Link #65
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
I'll be honest, until styling can be reproduced accurately close to 100% of the time with softsubs, I don't understand their purpose for digitally subtitled content. I mean, if people want raws, they can just find raws, it's not that complicated these days. Usually the raws are of higher quality than the fansubs as well.

I understand its existience for commercial releases or for content with a dual-audio dub track, but really, people want to see the subs and the people typesetting them want to know that you see the subs the way they were intended to be seen.

The script stealing thing is a bunch of baloney and I wish people would stop using it as an excuse

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 11:57   Link #66
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei View Post
I'll be honest, until styling can be reproduced accurately close to 100% of the time with softsubs
Because when you can save 10-50 megabytes per episode with the click of a button [using softsubs instead of hardsubs], why not?

Plus, I'd rather have perfect-looking subtitles than a ringy mess.

Plus it makes quick screenshots/similar much, much easier.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 11:58   Link #67
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
Quote:
I'll be honest, until styling can be reproduced accurately close to 100% of the time with softsubs, I don't understand their purpose for digitally subtitled content. I mean, if people want raws, they can just find raws, it's not that complicated these days. Usually the raws are of higher quality than the fansubs as well.

I understand its existience for commercial releases or for content with a dual-audio dub track, but really, people want to see the subs and the people typesetting them want to know that you see the subs the way they were intended to be seen.

The script stealing thing is a bunch of baloney and I wish people would stop using it as an excuse

-Tofu
...lower bitrate for same quality with hardsub? (I think it's mentioned in previous post btw but I'm too lazy to seach )

edit: ohshi- late by a few seconds

edit2: also saves time from reencoding because of small typo (on main dialogs)
Old 2008-02-15, 12:06   Link #68
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Because when you can save 10-50 megabytes per episode with the click of a button [using softsubs instead of hardsubs], why not?

Plus, I'd rather have perfect-looking subtitles than a ringy mess.

Plus it makes quick screenshots/similar much, much easier.
I'll just add that if you have softsubs and you don't like the video quality (ie sharpen, deband, etc) you can mess around with the decoder settings without having to worry about how it'll screw up the hard-encoded subtitles.
Old 2008-02-15, 20:21   Link #69
Unearthly

Quote:

-Tofu
For one, as a leecher you can download one of said higher quality raws and use the demuxed softsub for higher quality video/audio. Also, you can increase the video size on playback so the subs are rendered at a higher resolution, making them very sharp and more readable.
Unearthly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 04:15   Link #70
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber

Quote:
Raws dont retain as long as subs do. A year later, if you find anything, all you find are the episodes.... if anything at all.
Old 2008-02-17, 17:39   Link #71
Tofusensei

God forbid you buy the DVDs? lol

And 10-50 megs? Are you kidding? It's a pretty moot point these days, you should know that, you're an x264 dev apparently

-Tofu
Old 2008-02-17, 17:53   Link #72
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber

Quote:
God forbid you buy the DVDs? lol

And 10-50 megs? Are you kidding? It's a pretty moot point these days, you should know that, you're an x264 dev apparently

-Tofu
The sad reality these days is that HD Rips from Japan are actually becoming a better / higher quality video source than DVDs.

While I still advocate the purchase of the DVDs, it's sad since I havent heard much about TV shows being produced in HDDVD / BlueRay, so obtaining 720p or higher video source is tough through physical media.

I've seen a couple movies released in HD formats to the public (non-broadcasters), but so far I personally havent seen any TV series.
Old 2008-02-17, 18:27   Link #73
Tofusensei

Check out the GitS TV show box set coming out for blu-ray in Japan. Dub track and subtitled included. Looks amazing! Let's hope it's the beginning of a pattern.
Old 2008-02-17, 19:05   Link #74
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber

Quote:
Check out the GitS TV show box set coming out for blu-ray in Japan. Dub track and subtitled included. Looks amazing! Let's hope it's the beginning of a pattern.
Oh great, just another copy of GITS for my friend to buy... I swear he's bought the danm thing 3 times now.