AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-10, 17:03   Link #221
Hullard

Also, would it be possible to get a character discussion thread on Natsuhi as well? Thanks.
Old 2011-02-15, 09:01   Link #222
Quest 64

Spoiler for S.Y. Y. (ep7):

Last edited by Quest 64; 2011-02-15 at 09:11. Reason: Yet spoiler
Old 2011-02-15, 09:21   Link #223
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3monicWolv3s View Post
Can there be a literary reference thread that lists what mysteries/authors were referenced throughout the series?
I can't see a potential "lifetime" for this kind of thread, especially people would just pull them during a discussion of a given episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullard View Post
Hi, I was just wanting to make a request for a character alignment thread for people to give their opinions on the alignment of the characters in the series.
Discussion about characters can be done with the respective Episode thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullard View Post
Also, would it be possible to get a character discussion thread on Natsuhi as well? Thanks.
She is not really a "main character", just like any adult in this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest 64 View Post
Spoiler for S.Y. Y. (ep7):
I've repeated a lot but: Character discussion threads were destined for anime only watchers. Discussion over a character from Chiru should be done in their respective Episode thread.
Furthermore, in your case, Episode 7 thread is enough for that and a lot of people went to great lengths analyzing this character already.
Old 2011-03-05, 12:29   Link #224
DoktorFunk
Warned for a moment...

I've been playing the Umineko doujin platform game "Actiongame of the Golden Witch," but didn't see a thread for it here. Although it takes time to figure out if you don't read Japanese, it's a pretty fun take on the series. I'm not sure if not many people have heard about it, but I would like to be able to have a discussion about it.

Thank you
Old 2011-03-09, 17:18   Link #225
Sherringford

Can't we get a thread for discussing how the mystery genre relates to Umineko? It's a very interesting topic, but more than once every time someones brings it up be it in the spoiler & discussion topic or an episode thread or wherever we are told it's off topic.

Which is fair but...that's only because it's a major component of the series that doesn't quite fit anywhere else.

And there were at least two or three requests for the same thing just last page. I think enough people want it, and it doesn't quite fit anywhere else.
Old 2011-03-09, 21:26   Link #226
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I see little point with this.
Why? because that subject was absurdely brought to the table countlessly, and the only impression I had was a fruitless debate with the same arguments being thrown over, over and over again.
No offense, but the way how people appreciate mystery genre is as personal as the way how some people appreciate comedy, drama and so forth.

The discussion itself was interesting when it emerged, but we have really passed the point where discussing about it will just lead to more sore jousting.
I always see the same group bringing the same point, regardless who declare "this is mystery / this isn't mystery / this is X / Y / Z etc", so it is just a broken record. Even moreso if people just keep bringing all of their favorite author despite the context and all are just flat out different.

Since it does relate to interpretations, leaving these in the spoiler thread should be plenty enough, especially considering how it was already stuffed in there.
Old 2011-03-09, 22:03   Link #227
naikou
Slashy Slashy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The discussion itself was interesting when it emerged, but we have really passed the point where discussing about it will just lead to more sore jousting.
Sore jousting? There wasn't even an argument going on. Sherringford and I agreed on most subjects discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari
Since it does relate to interpretations, leaving these in the spoiler thread should be plenty enough, especially considering how it was already stuffed in there.
How is it more related to the spoiler thread than the translation thread?

And more importantly, why didn't you just move the posts to the spoiler thread if you wanted them discussed there?
Old 2011-03-09, 22:25   Link #228
Sherringford

Yeah, there was no sore jousting involved. We were just talking about it civilly and even agreeing on most topics. No offense Klash, but did you read what we were posting or just assumed that we were at each other's throats because our posts were full of quotations?

We agreed on most points and were discussing mostly the degree to which each thing applied to the series. If you think that's jousting then...I'm not sure what you consider civil.

Quote:
I always see the same group bringing the same point, regardless who declare "this is mystery / this isn't mystery / this is X / Y / Z etc", so it is just a broken record.
...But if you use that logic then every discussion topic ever is "X is the culprit/ x isn't the culprit/ the clue is x/ it's y" so it's also like a broken record. I know you personally don't find the subject interesting, but to assume that we can't have an interesting discussion because you don't like the subject(which, I'm sorry to say, is what your post came off as even if it wasn't your intention) is not very wise.

No one was being rude at all, we were just having a calm discussion about how the mystery genre relates to Umineko. We weren't even touching the is it a mystery or not theme, we were just discussing what influences Ryu might have had when writing the series.

Really. Check the posts you moved/deleted, last thing we were talking about is whether Ryu read or not John Dickson Carr and why he didn't make any references to him if I remember correctly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't delete posts from the system completely, right? Can you still move them to the spoiler thread in that case? Or the overall game impression? Or...anything, really? I mean, it was a nice discussion and it would be a shame to lose it all.
Old 2011-03-10, 05:32   Link #229
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

There is a misunderstanding there: I wasn't talking about the discussion that happened recently. I was talking about the usual discussion as whole regarding "Umineko is/isn't mystery" leading to the aweful joust that occured soon after Episode 8 has been released (and you DO know what i'm talking about. This is why I never mentioned your discussion in my initial post, but clearly the past predicament "it is mystery / it isn't).
The latest discussion wasn't anything problematic and arguably different, however I personally believe that kind of thread will lead to the return of that nasty fruitless discussion we had weeks ago, which is by any means not favorable at all.

Spoiler thread was deemed more appropriate, since the thread also turned into a place where people gave their own interpretations of various things. It was by far more suitable than the translation thread, which has -nothing- to do with the subject you were giving yourself.
Do note however that the posts were supposed to be moved to the spoiler thread, but I made them invisible before moving them and forgot to revert them back to normal. Going to fix that.

Now, if you still believe the discussion can be served in a way it would prevent such incident, please mention the core guidelines of the thread you are expecting to discuss, and I will see if there is a compromise possible for that (displacing the previous posts + the one in overall impressions as well).

Last edited by Klashikari; 2011-03-10 at 06:00.
Old 2011-03-11, 00:47   Link #230
Sherringford

I'd say that the definition of fruitless discussion is very subjective. Personally I didn't see that much jousting after episode 8 was released, just some people expressing rather negative views on the ending while some people didn't. It wasn't so much the mystery subject but the fact that some people really loved the ending while some people really hated it.

It's a given in any long running series. Did you see how the internet reacted to Harry Potter? It was...yeah. It happened mostly because it was the series conclusions rather than anything related to the topic of mystery itself. Once a series ends, people are bound to react strongly.

But that aside, how about those guidelines?

-Discussing how certain mystery novels might have influenced Umineko.
-Discussing and recommending novels that are similar in thematic or plot to the series.
-Discussing references made in the series to mystery novels(there are...a lot).
-Comparing structure, setup, setting and detectives to other more well known novels.

There is a lot to analyze with that. For example, "No Knox, No Dine, No Fair." The tagline already references two(arguably three, but I'm not sure if Ryu actually knew about the third one since it's a common word) writers. There are enough references to crowd an entire thread.

As for the other guidelines, they are pretty common practice when discussing other mystery novels.

EDIT: Alternatively, just let us get away with talking about the mystery genre and literary theories on the overall game discussion topic like we are doing right now. That works too!

Last edited by Sherringford; 2011-03-11 at 23:09.
Old 2011-03-13, 11:59   Link #231
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Regardless if the notion is subjective or not, I have to ensure that things do not go out of hands, which happened a lot.
It doesn't matter if you (in general sense) think it is perfectly civilized, there are limits we have imposed, and this sub-forum isn't any exception.
As far as I witnessed the whole situation, beyond the obvious debate over the end (be it good or bad), there was an abnormal amount of meaningless arguments regarding te subject I've mentioned. That's all.

Anyway, I've made the thread and displaced most of the related posts.
But I will repeat it: I want all of you to stick with the subject of each threads. It is just useless to make more threads if they aren't used as they should be.
Old 2011-06-16, 09:54   Link #232
tyciol
*Artist

I would like to request a new thread called "Uraneko" here to talk about the 4 specials listed on the tracker. Currently no threads about Uraneko exist.

You can see at the bottom here http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1461.html
4 works by "Russian-Subs"
1: http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=102307
2: http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=102308
3: http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=102693
4: http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=102694

It looks they they did them two at a time based on the production numbers.

These are a mystery to me because I do not see them listed on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ro_ni_episodes

Is there information about them elsehwere? I couldn't find them on animesuki, but I do see people blogging about them like http://dragonarya.wordpress.com/2009...-specials-1-4/

I think having a thread to talk about them and where they fit in would be good.
Old 2011-06-16, 16:14   Link #233
zibbazabba905
twuth it EASY.

I think those were "previews" for the next episodes
Old 2011-06-16, 17:52   Link #234
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibbazabba905 View Post
I think those were "previews" for the next episodes
No, there's a difference between the previews and the Uraneko.

I just know what you should be doing.
Old 2011-06-19, 16:17   Link #235
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

I was thinking, we have a thread for MAD videos and parodies and such, and an images thread where people may post their own fanart...but we lack any appropriate thread for other fan projects. For instance, I was thinking of making a flash game akin to the infamous Rosa Musou game (only starring Krauss) and was looking for a place to ask for input...additionally, I know a lot of people have made fan projects of the VN using the onscripter engine, and then there are all the fanfictions...things like that.

Could we get a thread for fan projects of this nature? If there's not enough demand for another fanwork thread, possibly combine the video thread with this idea and change the topic title? That thread is fairly inactive lately anyways; maybe it could become a general fanmade works thread?
Old 2011-06-27, 13:15   Link #236
victorino123

I will create another thread if no one answer my question about where can i find the ryukishi07 interviews =P
Old 2011-06-27, 16:23   Link #237
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorino123 View Post
I will create another thread if no one answer my question about where can i find the ryukishi07 interviews =P
Well if you think you can do that, go ahead.

Old 2011-06-27, 21:00   Link #238
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorino123 View Post
You may find several Ryukishi interviews at this link. I was looking for quote one day and the post I made ended up turning into an interview archive. There's probably a few missing by this point, since a lot has happened since I made that post, but there you go.
Old 2011-08-06, 17:38   Link #239
tyciol
*Artist

Another idea I had: do we have a thread for talking about a second season of the anime?

I have not heard any plans for it, but it appears to me like they adapted the first 4 games, but not the 4 "Chiru" (Breakdown) ones that follow. This would be like the 2nd season of Higurashi, "Kai" (Answers). I just finished watching the anime and it sort of leaves you on a bit of a cliffhanger and am hoping they might conclude this.

Otherwise I guess I'll play the games. I only read vague basics about Chiru to avoid spoilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
No, there's a difference between the previews and the Uraneko.
Cool, I'm looking to find more information about them.

Also since there are multiple [game] and character discussion threads, is it possible to have sub-subforums for them?

Last edited by tyciol; 2011-08-06 at 18:05.
Old 2011-08-06, 18:36   Link #240
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

-Since there is absolutely no news whatsoever regarding a possible chiru season, the purpose of such thread would be completely meaningless. Speculation to what they can do or not would be pointless and out of hand, without any basis.
Unless there is some news (airing season, studio taking care of it, etc), there won't be any thread for a "second season".

-Sub-forums are actually only destined to be a cluster of threads being grouped within a single franchise. We do not create any more subforum (or child-forum) past this level.
The reasons are as follow: threads are self sufficient, and adding more child forums over each other would be nothing but a huge mess.