AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-05-04, 11:11   Link #561
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I think he was just killed by a random titan because........well, shit happens.
I think it was implied Annie killed him, because she had his 3DM Gear.

Edit:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Now I'm looking over it again. I think your hypotheses is more likely.

The wounds seems like something a titan would inflict. This means Annie probably got Marco's 3DM Gear of his corpse.

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2013-05-06 at 15:50.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 11:57   Link #562
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Yes, Marco looks like he got half his body chomped off by a titan while Annie and the others don't seem to have any inclination toward eating humans at all.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 12:09   Link #563
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Isn't it strange that he wasn't entirely eaten though? What kind of Titan would leave a half human body untouched?

Annie was certainly there when Marco got killed, and I wouldn't exclude that Annie somehow caused him to fall prey of a titan. That wouldn't be too hard, you just need to cut the ropes at the right moment or something similar.

Whether she actually did that or not Annie still waited until Marco was bitten to death and then proceeded to kill the titan before he would swallow the rest of the body. Because if that happened, she couldn't retrieve the 3D gear.

I suppose that Annie then hid the 3D gear somewhere so that she could retrieve it later.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I think this page is pretty interesting. You see Annie here watching at the death and destruction that ensued after Trost district was invaded and retaken. Even the usually cool, pragmatic and selfish Annie couldn't remain unfazed by that view. And perhaps it's also because she had a part in causing Marco's death.

And there you see Berthold in the background being nervous and wary as usual, and Reiner being the usual pragmatic guy with a soldier mentality.

What's interesting is that they both knew what Annie was actually apologizing for. Whereas the reader would simply think that she was apologizing for not doing enough to save more companions.

When you look back you realize that Annie was often shown together with Reiner and Berthold.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 12:31   Link #564
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post

When you look back you realize that Annie was often shown together with Reiner and Berthold.
Not to mention that they were ranked together and just bellow Mikasa.
Old 2013-05-04, 22:02   Link #565
Zantetsuken

So there were foreshadowing. The author is really good with this
Old 2013-05-04, 22:31   Link #566
Raviel

^I wouldn't even call it foreshadowing, it so subtle you wouldn't even realize what it was unless you did some backreading (with that said, yes the author is REALLY good at doing what she/he is doing).

On a side note, I bet reading the reactions of the anime viewers is pretty fun for any manga readers
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 22:34   Link #567
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
On a side note, I bet reading the reactions of the anime viewers is pretty fun for any manga readers
This I agree, I am hoping there will be major debate between people who believe Eren is dead and who believe Eren is alive.
Old 2013-05-04, 22:44   Link #568
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
This I agree, I am hoping there will be major debate between people who believe Eren is dead and who believe Eren is alive.
Doubt most people will believe he's dead.
Old 2013-05-04, 23:38   Link #569
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Tell me if I missed anything, but was the other guy swallowed by Berthold along with Ymir just a random Survey Squad member, or someone we actually knew?
Old 2013-05-04, 23:45   Link #570
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Tell me if I missed anything, but was the other guy swallowed by Berthold along with Ymir just a random Survey Squad member, or someone we actually knew?
Who knows. But a few post before I made a list of named characters that were supposed to be there and that can still be seen after Berthold noms Ymir and the other guy.

Only Hannes is a potential named character that could have been eaten, but it might be that he wasn't there anymore when Berthold became a Titan, it isn't clear.

The only other options are that it isn't a named character or that it's a named character that the author never told us being there.
For example we still don't have a clear idea of where Jean is supposed to be.

Old 2013-05-05, 06:21   Link #571
X207
Gamyūsa

i do have a few questions regarding the manga series. i dont recall the chapters that the questions are related to though they remain very interesting. there are 5 confirmed human titans and another that can speak, is there any info out on Furby who was nearby when ymir revealed her secret? i can guess furby may be an acquaintace or even a controler for the titan/human infiltration.

i dont know under what certain circumtances the wall construction actually had to entail just yet. i dont know which individual was responsible but there are probably even more people who may yet be revealed,

the other tantalizing question is the need to eat humans in the first place. there was one titan that said "welcome back" to one of the survey corps member who recognised the face. if its what it looks like then it seems like there will be no easy solution to kill them all.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 19:25   Link #572
Kayin
s c a r l e t
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Kayin
Well I think it's safe to assume Titan origins are tied to mankind, and don't forget the obvious use of the word "Titan" and its link to Greek mythology. Many games - namely God of War - and the movies Clash/Wrath of the Titans depict the Titans as huge elemental humanoids, usually of the fire/earth element. The heat and steam that comes off the Titan bodies in the manga are an obvious reference to their mythological elemental properties.

The element - titanium - which is one of the hardest metals in the world, is probably very much related to their hard skin, and even the armored skin of the Armored Titan.

The Titans are either a race of God-like beings/monsters or are some kind of human experiment gone horribly wrong. The latter seems like it could be the more likely possibility due to how Eren seems to originally be a human, but is experimented on and then given Titan powers. Eren's importance might be he's actually the first human to become a Titan through experiments, and that the other so called human/titan hybrids have always existed as Titans, but also had the ability to turn into humans (therefore making them the real "gods", and the normal, non-sentient Titans as living weapons that they created, and can control to a degree.) They either see Eren's powers as a threat if others can repeat it on new human candidates, or they want him to join them in some way. The latter I really don't understand since Eren has nothing but hatred for Titans, and would never join them. Since the Ape Titan wanted to get intel from the 3D gear, it's very easy to assume they don't want to outright kill Eren because they are curious as to how he became a Titan hybrid in the first place.

It's obvious humanity did something very bad to the Titans or the humans that would become Titans (and making walls out of their brethren is evidence of this, or at least related to it.) I'll be severely disappointed to see humanity become the greater monster in this story, but I'm thinking that the author just wants to show both sides having dark flaws and it's a kill or be killed world where no one is 100% in the right.
Old 2013-05-06, 00:47   Link #573
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
Well I think it's safe to assume Titan origins are tied to mankind, and don't forget the obvious use of the word "Titan" and its link to Greek mythology. Many games - namely God of War - and the movies Clash/Wrath of the Titans depict the Titans as huge elemental humanoids, usually of the fire/earth element. The heat and steam that comes off the Titan bodies in the manga are an obvious reference to their mythological elemental properties.

The element - titanium - which is one of the hardest metals in the world, is probably very much related to their hard skin, and even the armored skin of the Armored Titan.

The Titans are either a race of God-like beings/monsters or are some kind of human experiment gone horribly wrong. The latter seems like it could be the more likely possibility due to how Eren seems to originally be a human, but is experimented on and then given Titan powers. Eren's importance might be he's actually the first human to become a Titan through experiments, and that the other so called human/titan hybrids have always existed as Titans, but also had the ability to turn into humans (therefore making them the real "gods", and the normal, non-sentient Titans as living weapons that they created, and can control to a degree.) They either see Eren's powers as a threat if others can repeat it on new human candidates, or they want him to join them in some way. The latter I really don't understand since Eren has nothing but hatred for Titans, and would never join them. Since the Ape Titan wanted to get intel from the 3D gear, it's very easy to assume they don't want to outright kill Eren because they are curious as to how he became a Titan hybrid in the first place.

It's obvious humanity did something very bad to the Titans or the humans that would become Titans (and making walls out of their brethren is evidence of this, or at least related to it.) I'll be severely disappointed to see humanity become the greater monster in this story, but I'm thinking that the author just wants to show both sides having dark flaws and it's a kill or be killed world where no one is 100% in the right.
thank you for the reply, i was rather vague on purpose to test the water regarding potential spoilers though it probaly only deals with ch42+ at this s point. i have a feeling it may just be genetic for eaten humans to hybridize or just convert to full time titan. a experiment gone wrong can easily explain how a few could go spread and colonize the rest. that survey corps member recognised his mom's face in that shrunked titan baby (??). it could be the unused parts of the DNA can store Titan characteristics. id like very much to see how it will be explained.

regarding Furby, he probably knows all of the 4 and maybe Eren personally. Eren never once willingly had a sustained attack against humans by chioce while the other 4 have wilingly done so on many occasions. at this point id guess he's the leader of their group. he might even be Annie's father, she took his "advice" and took humanity for her enemies. her father may just be a normal human thats aligned with titans, as to what extent has yet to be seen.

i wonder if the humans/titans used to construct the wall were willing or forced to become part of the wall. the religious sect were quite adamant they cover the titan from sun light. regardless of the means to transform humans to colosals to make the wall, i could see most go willingly to chose to be prisoner to the wall though given the size of the fortress im sure some were reluctant to do so.

id like to see very much how Eren will take care of the armoured titan. he doesnt seem to have enough power to inflict damage to kill him.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 03:26   Link #574
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
I don't think the word Titan is that important. The Japanese version of the manga doesn't use it. They use the word Kyojin which doesn't translate directly in to Titan.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 05:01   Link #575
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ I second that, It's been proven by real trolls pros that eoten is the most correct translation.
Old 2013-05-06, 07:12   Link #576
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Regardless of the utter stupidity of the word "eoten" it's undeniable that the word "titan" has never been on the author's mind while he wrote this story.

Old 2013-05-06, 13:59   Link #577
CJ_Walker

pretty sure it was the word Giant (he even wrote it in English in the Manga in one of the chapters). Im also pretty sure that the Author has NEVER heard of the word eoten.

also the title is usually translated as (advancing giants)

etc etc etc. . .

but yeah I cringe when I see the subs says "eotens" --.--

Kyojin: 巨人 【きょじん】 (n) (1) giant

The Titan word probably came from the animation studio. . .Apparently someone there knows English lol.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 15:43   Link #578
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Spoiler for ch44:
Old 2013-05-06, 16:11   Link #579
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
pretty sure it was the word Giant (he even wrote it in English in the Manga in one of the chapters). Im also pretty sure that the Author has NEVER heard of the word eoten.

also the title is usually translated as (advancing giants)

etc etc etc. . .

but yeah I cringe when I see the subs says "eotens" --.--

Kyojin: 巨人 【きょじん】 (n) (1) giant

The Titan word probably came from the animation studio. . .Apparently someone there knows English lol.
There are two possible explanations for their last minute choice of using "Titan" as the official English word.

1) Someone browsed among the many English speaking sites and realized that everyone was already calling them "Titans".

2) The author was inspired by this popular painting, and someone upon further research realized that Cronus was a Titan.

Old 2013-05-06, 19:29   Link #580
Flolan

So i guess bunch of people picked up the manga since episode 5, im curious to hear your thoughts about it so far? (with 44 chapters out) Was it what you expected?

Oh and, i thought the author picked the english name "attack on titan" from the very start?
Flolan is offline   Reply With Quote