AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-11, 09:52   Link #1221
james0246

Quote:
I hope Joe Biden will find a way to nail Paul Ryan tonight just like when he nailed Sarah Palin 4 years ago.
To be fair, that was a debate both sides walked away from happy. Palin looked competent, and Biden looked...well, his strategy was always not to get her the sympathy vote and he succeeded.

Tonight's debate, though, should be less restrained. Hopefully Biden will be able to lay into Romney/Ryan while also presenting a strong front for Obama. To use a predecessor, Biden wants to sound (not look) like Cheney during the 2004 VP debates (where Cheney made Edwards look like a simpering fool, all the while defending Bush's many stupid decisions).
Old 2012-10-11, 10:59   Link #1222
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Tonight's debate, though, should be less restrained. Hopefully Biden will be able to lay into Romney/Ryan while also presenting a strong front for Obama. To use a predecessor, Biden wants to sound (not look) like Cheney during the 2004 VP debates (where Cheney made Edwards look like a simpering fool, all the while defending Bush's many stupid decisions).
Biden has no choice but try hitting a home run to tie the ballgame (baseball analogy at this time of the year ). But I have confidence considering how excellent he was at the DNC.; just hoping it won't be another bad day at the office

It's good that you brought the Cheney example about how to know most topics inside out and look very convincing with the decisions made/to be made. When looking back, Edwards looked foolish indeed and it restored the balance back in Bush's favor.
Old 2012-10-11, 11:42   Link #1223
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I remember a couple of ultra-conservative relatives very upset with Biden because he treated her like an adult candidate with opposing views rather than a "woman".

Yes, it should make your head spin.

This is a lot of fun to watch: the Australian PM skewering her knuckle-dragging misogynist opposition:

http://samuel-warde.com/2012/10/aust...-his-misogyny/

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-10-11 at 12:16.
Old 2012-10-11, 12:33   Link #1224
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
but if some people were crazy enough to give George W. Bush a second term to see how it does before rightfully crucifying him
I'll just say that John Kerry was not really a good alternative back then. Sure, he was better than Romney, but I see the same problems being applied to Kerry.
Old 2012-10-11, 13:00   Link #1225
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
I remember that Bill Clinton was quite into deep crap before the 1996 election and that everyone called for his head because the 1993-96 term had its share of very bad moments (Waco, economy growing very slowly, Oklahoma City, World Trade Center bombing, UN failure in Somalia, a very criticized approach in Bosnia, etc.) and other elements making believe he was a very soft President. STILL, that didn't keep Bill from having probably the strongest term any US President ever had in recent memory between 1997 and 2000 DESPITE the Monica Lewinsky scandal in the midst of this.

I'm in no position to convince American members on Animesuki on who to vote, but if some people were crazy enough to give George W. Bush a second term to see how it does before rightfully crucifying him, I don't see why Obama wouldn't get this chance to redeem himself too. Anyway, I hope Joe Biden will find a way to nail Paul Ryan tonight just like when he nailed Sarah Palin 4 years ago. About Obama, he has to go for the jugular on next Tuesday; f*** the politeness already!
I have to give you some cookies on that. Alot of people forget that Clinton had to go through the same thing, and people was calling for his head. But not only he survive but he became one of the most respect president president in a long time. We can all agreed that Obama didnt do a great job but thinking about this, since he came into office, Unemployment rate went down, Jobless Claims is down, Dow Jones is up, S&P is up and other changes you see. I think Obama deserve a chance to finish this up for 4 more years.
Old 2012-10-11, 13:06   Link #1226
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
I have to give you some cookies on that. Alot of people forget that Clinton had to go through the same thing, and people was calling for his head. But not only he survive but he became one of the most respect president president in a long time. We can all agreed that Obama didnt do a great job but thinking about this, since he came into office, Unemployment rate went down, Jobless Claims is down, Dow Jones is up, S&P is up and other changes you see. I think Obama deserve a chance to finish this up for 4 more years.
Again, I've got to come over here and throw poop on this -- I love Clinton, he's incredibly charismatic, but his amazing presidency includes what we now know is massive false growth and a giant economic bubble..

That, and despite how we all think of Bush Jr., there are actually quite a few Americans that see him as displaying, and I quote, "strong leadership post-911" -- I don't say I agree, but lots(?) of people think that.
Old 2012-10-11, 13:09   Link #1227
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Again, I've got to come over here and throw poop on this -- I love Clinton, he's incredibly charismatic, but his amazing presidency includes what we now know is massive false growth and a giant economic bubble..

That, and despite how we all think of Bush Jr., there are actually quite a few Americans that see him as displaying, and I quote, "strong leadership post-911" -- I don't say I agree, but lots(?) of people think that.
, I know that but he isnt like the fail magnets that we had in the Oval Office.
Old 2012-10-11, 13:35   Link #1228
GDB

Quote:
A lot of people apparently think PBS gets between 5% and 50% of the entire US budget too. Doesn't mean they're right.
Old 2012-10-11, 15:50   Link #1229
Xagzan

Quote:
Biden has no choice but try hitting a home run to tie the ballgame (baseball analogy at this time of the year ). But I have confidence considering how excellent he was at the DNC.; just hoping it won't be another bad day at the office

It's good that you brought the Cheney example about how to know most topics inside out and look very convincing with the decisions made/to be made. When looking back, Edwards looked foolish indeed and it restored the balance back in Bush's favor.
It also didn't hurt Bush's chances that no sitting president who had gone for a second term during wartime had lost. And of course back then the heavy media coverage especially helped keep the Middle-east operations in the public's mind.

Doesn't do that so much anymore, with people growing tired of war and trying to keep it in the back of their minds, so Obama doesn't really have that advantage to the same extent as Bush. And if he loses, he'll end up being that first.
Old 2012-10-11, 16:28   Link #1230
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

Yes, charging ahead without the correct facts is wonderfully strong leadership. Stupid sheep are they

Clinton was our first modern "center right corporatist" president. The '90s is when banks & Wall Street got a good grip on both sides of the aisle -- it was this period when Main Street got kicked into the street, it was a few years before the bus rolled up over it.

There's a bumper sticker that says something like, "If you voted for Bush twice and think Obama is the worst president in history, you really need to stop talking now." ... because it pretty much just documents what a peasant tool of the aristocracy one is if they keep talking.
Old 2012-10-11, 16:58   Link #1231
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My vote choice is being made for me by the social conservative extremists in the neo-GOP (of whom Ryan is a documented part of and Romney flutters when they say boo to him). I'm simply not going to watch the rights of half the population be twisted backwards a century. I'm not going to quietly let insane irrational zealots get their hands on the government buttons. If the Congress is going to stay GOP or split, I want a Dem in the White House. When it comes to selecting Supreme Court justices over the next four years, I don't want more constitutional train wreck corporate lackeys like Scalia or Thomas.
This is it pretty much. To quote another person who made somewhat the same point:

Quote:
Viewing the election as a contest between two people named Obama and Romney is a simplistic approach at best, no matter how delightful Mitt's personality tics and one-percenter utterances may be. A vote for "Romney" is a vote for sad sack Bush-Cheney neocons seeking a new lease on life, a vote for the Heritage Foundation, a vote for more Scalias, Alitos, and Thomases. Romney's "character" -- if it can be said he has one -- has little to do with any of this; people should be talking instead about the cast of characters he'd bring to the White House.

Same goes for Obama: his extended network includes Planned Parenthood, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, more Sotomayors and Kagans, and countless invisible players behind the scenes. I'm not saying every last one of them is perfect, but when you look at the groups as a whole, the difference is stark. Harder to fit on a bumper sticker maybe, but these are the candidates you're really voting for.
So yes while most of us are truly tired of the "corporatist" influence in both parties, remember that whenever you vote, you are voting for who composes the rest of the bureaucracy and various government offices as well.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2012-10-11, 20:09   Link #1232
james0246

And Biden comes out swinging. Clear and consice differences between the President and Romney. A little heavy handed, but still simplistic (which is good for these types of debates) and sweet. Ryan's doing well, though and all in the first minutes.
Old 2012-10-11, 20:11   Link #1233
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I really hate that emotion bar on CNN
Old 2012-10-11, 20:15   Link #1234
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I really hate that emotion bar on CNN
CNN comes with a "mood ring"? O holy garbage .... I'm watching the PBS channel, less BS.

I think "values" is Ryan's favorite word. As if he were the only one with values - that's a nice bit of religious code word use. After all, non-christians don't have values.

Biden's advantage is simply several decades of classical oratory. Ryan, I'll give credit for, so far, he's avoiding direct confrontation at all with Biden.
Old 2012-10-11, 20:17   Link #1235
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Now, Ryan tries putting himself into the point of views of the ayatollahs... *facepalms*
Old 2012-10-11, 20:17   Link #1236
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
CNN comes with a "mood ring"? O holy garbage .... I'm watching the PBS channel, less BS.

I think "values" is Ryan's favorite word. As if he were the only one with values - that's a nice bit of religious code word use. After all, non-christians don't have values.
Yes, PBS is pretty much the only station I'll watch these things on, for the same reasons.

I thought it interesting that he talked about "standing up for our values" directly after being asked about the urinating on corpses. As if, those are our values?
Old 2012-10-11, 20:18   Link #1237
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Loving Biden so far. Coming out swinging and saying that Iran isn't a threat yet. Tell it what it is.

Plus Martha Radditz is a great moderator. (b")b

Old 2012-10-11, 20:21   Link #1238
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Throw out the politeness out of the window! About time I see something as such from the Dems.
Old 2012-10-11, 20:24   Link #1239
james0246

Yeah, Radditz is doing a good job.

I'm watching on MSNBC. The split screen is fun, but besides that there is no real spangles to the presentation.

Also, it's a lot of fun to watch the exchanges between Biden and Ryan.
Old 2012-10-11, 20:25   Link #1240
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Oh hell yeah finally the 47% reference. I love you Biden!!!

Closed Thread