AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-23, 00:50   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 696 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Spoiler's out! Credit goes to Aohige, Kaze1028 and the other guys at AP for summary, translation, etc.:

-Chapter title is "Common Interests". The ministory involves Caribou running into another pirate at the port.

-Smoker calls for a spare ship to pick up the marines from Punk Hazard. He also arrests Brownbeard and his crew, and tells them they can heal the poison while in their custody. Brownbeard complies, saying that he'd rather go to jail then remain as Caesar's servant....

-Meanwhile, Brooke drops Kinemon, whose petrified shell cracks open..... revealing that the samurai is safe and sound! He himself is confused as to how he survived the poison, but he's finally able to reunite with Momonosuke, who is now able to change to his human form. However, the younger samurai is nude, so his father creates some clothes for him with his DF power.

-Chopper encounters Law, who managed to heal Mocha and the other children by operating on them with his powers. However, he says they still require long-term treatment in order to be fully healed. Tashigi then arrives and says the marines will take care of the kids from this point onwards. It turns out that Nami asked them that favor, and notes that Tashigi reminds her of her foster mother, Bellemere.

-Sanji cooks up a feast for everybody, using one of the recipes he learned at okama island. The samurai, children and marines also join in on the meal. During the feast, Smoker's men tell him that they've learned how to cure Caesar's poison from the scientist himself, and are ready to save their petrified comrades. Smoker is then curious about Law's alliance with Luffy, asking why he didn't finish them off. We then flash back to Law's proposition to Luffy.....

-Luffy asks which emperor Law plans to topple, and he answers that it's Kaidou of 100 Beasts. Luffy agrees to the deal, as long as Shanks is not the first target. He himself also plans to topple ALL of the emperors eventually...!!!!!

Spoiler:

Hah. I freaking called Kaidou being Law's target. And the "Hundred Beasts" nickname most definitely indicates that he's the only with the beastman army. Oh man, I can't wait for that guy's intro.....

Anyways, looks like there's no antibody like I predicted, but at least I was right about Law helping Chopper heal the kids. Though I do also wonder how Kinemon turned out all right. Anyway, things seem to be wrapping up, but we still can't forget about Dofla and that other mystery dude making their way to the island. I can easily see one (or both) of them crashing their little celebration.....
Old 2013-01-23, 01:46   Link #2
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Alittle surprised Tashigi of all people would bring up Bellemere... but I guess it can't be helped seeing as Bellemere WAS a Marine. Maybe she was a pretty famous Marine.... or, seeing as I'd assume Tashigi would've also been a child at the time Bellemere was a Marine, she was the reason Tashigi became a Marine...? Probably wrong on that~

Alittle surprised we didn't get any mention of Baby 5 and the gang, Doflamingo, OR the mysterious figure.... figure I'll just have to wait for the chapter itself~
Old 2013-01-23, 01:49   Link #3
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
Alittle surprised Tashigi of all people would bring up Bellemere... but I guess it can't be helped seeing as Bellemere WAS a Marine. Maybe she was a pretty famous Marine.... or, seeing as I'd assume Tashigi would've also been a child at the time Bellemere was a Marine, she was the reason Tashigi became a Marine...? Probably wrong on that~

Alittle surprised we didn't get any mention of Baby 5 and the gang, Doflamingo, OR the mysterious figure.... figure I'll just have to wait for the chapter itself~
What in the world are you talking about?

Tashigi didn't bring up Bellemere, Nami did.
The way Tashigi is a strong female marine who cares for children reminded Nami of her mother.
Old 2013-01-23, 01:52   Link #4
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
What in the world are you talking about?

Tashigi didn't bring up Bellemere, Nami did.
The way Tashigi is a strong female marine who cares for children reminded Nami of her mother.
Huh, what'ya know.... she didn't. Throws that whole theory out then~
Old 2013-01-23, 03:21   Link #5
ronin myael
lost ronin

so it looks like kaidou is the yonkou that law wanted to take down. kaidou of the 100 beasts. interesting...

but where is doffy?
Old 2013-01-23, 03:59   Link #6
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

"hey, Mugiwara! We should go right now and can't waste time"
"okay! I got it"

"LET'S PARTY!!!"

hahaha.... I can't stop laughing after seeing Law's face....

Please, Luffy... don't mess up with Kaidou too... You already challenged Big Mom
Old 2013-01-23, 04:04   Link #7
gatla1625

Quote:

"Luffy asks which emperor Law plans to topple, and he answers that it's Kaidou of 100 Beasts. Luffy agrees to the deal, as long as Shanks is not the first target. He himself also plans to topple ALL of the emperors eventually...!!!!!"
Hello.. this is my first time writing/replying to a post

Luffy wanted to take down Shanks first but didnt have a choice since he will eventually take them all down.. EPIC!

Nice chapter.. but DD and the mysterious shadow guy still not shown.
Old 2013-01-23, 04:29   Link #8
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Ah the afterparty, a staple of One Piece. Still with Doflamingo and that mysterious fellow on the way to Punk Hazard, they probably won't be celebrating much longer. It's interesting seeing Marines and Pirates mingle at a party together, I think this may be the first time ever actually.

I'm not really sure how Kinemon survived getting smashed to bits though. A side-effect from Law's ability perhaps?

And it's good to see that Luffy isn't at all hesitant about taking down Shanks. He's raring to take down all of the Yonkou. It's just like Luffy to say something like that. And hey, Law's target is indeed Kaidou. I hope we get to see the fellow in all his glory soon. Judging from the epithet, he's definitely the one who commissioned the army of smiles.

Really nice character interaction chapter. The arc's finally winding down now.
Old 2013-01-23, 04:38   Link #9
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatla1625 View Post
Luffy wanted to take down Shanks first but didnt have a choice since he will eventually take them all down.. EPIC!
No, that's wrong. Luffy didn't want to take on Shanks first, and he's ok with Kaidou because of it.

Mangapanda is notorious for bad translation.
Old 2013-01-23, 05:31   Link #10
mrShady

Yeah I'm waiting for a better translation. Still it was a fun chapter. Golden moment between Law and Luffy, they really work well together.
Old 2013-01-23, 07:39   Link #11
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Damn you Oda...making us wait another week to find out who the mystery figure is and what will happen when don-flamingo shows up.

I guess its a one piece tradition to have the celebratory victory party....unique seeing marines in the mix though.

Law's face when luffy totally trolls him about partying....awesome.
Old 2013-01-23, 08:46   Link #12
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So the Yonkou they'll be going after is Kaidou, huh... Well, as Luffy said, anybody is fine so long as it's not Shanks, though he does plan to take down Shanks eventually. That's something he'll want to do alone, however.

I'm confused about Kinemon's miraculous recovery, was it Law who healed him?
Old 2013-01-23, 08:51   Link #13
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm confused about Kinemon's miraculous recovery, was it Law who healed him?
It isn't really miraculous. Being hardened doesn't kill people, it just stops you from running away from the gas. Brook went and got him out right away so he wasn't really exposed to it much.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2013-01-23, 09:18   Link #14
Kona
Banned

Didn't expect Momonosuke to change back into his human form like that. Probably the shock of seeing his father made him do that. He doesn't have his sword on him wonder what happened to it? He looks like Ryuma Jr with the scarf and all.

Everybody thought Big Mom was going to be the Yonkou but it turned out to be Kaidou. This Arc isn't over yet Doflamingo and the mysterious guy hasn't shown up. I thought by now we would see the Brokers but it's not their time yet.
Old 2013-01-23, 09:39   Link #15
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Yup, I also called Kaido being the emperor doing business with Doflamingo. Sweetness. This also pretty much confirms that Kaido is a villain.
Old 2013-01-23, 10:43   Link #16
james0246

I decided to ship Nami x Tashigi. Please join my crew everyone. .

Last edited by james0246; 2013-01-23 at 10:57.
Old 2013-01-23, 11:56   Link #17
mrShady

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Lol, yeah I got the same vibe. I hope the other translation fixes that weird innuendo.
Old 2013-01-23, 12:53   Link #18
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Reporting for Duty
Old 2013-01-23, 13:44   Link #19
Rainbowman

Mini-story: Who did Caribou encounter? Possibly one of the older Super Novas?

Main Story: Didn't expect Kinemon to survive the poison nor Momonosuke to return to human form. I somehow knew it wasn't Big Mam to have that army of beasts. As to why Kaidou has the beast army, we'll probably find out soon enough.

Quote:
I may as well come aboard on this one.
Old 2013-01-23, 14:24   Link #20
carcanclaw
Kitty?

Law's reactions of near-painful disbelief are some of the funniest moments in the recent chapters.

What's up with Caesar, though? Are the marines taking him off with Buffalo and Baby 5? I thought Law was going to handle him. Then again, maybe they just want to dismantle Kaidou's supply of Smiles and aren't actually planning on making use of Caesar themselves.
Closed Thread