AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Old 2010-09-16, 18:49   Link #1061
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoszerom View Post
Not sure if this is the right area, but anyway...

What size would Tepperin be compared to the Arc Gurren? I could check the ep where Arc emerges, but i imagine that wouldn't be much help, because of camera angle, etc.

If they are the same size, why did Tepperin move so slowly compared to Arc Gurren Lagann? I bet Arc Gurren Lagann would win in a battle, but shouldn't they be roughly equal?

'Nother thought. I haven't read the rest of the forum, but if the normal Ganmen can't go into water, how can they go into space?
Well, I do think Arc Gurren was larger. It did say it could hold about 200,000 people, not counting the food supply for a whole year in space. That's pretty gigantic.

Normal Ganmen can't go into water because they aren't buoyant enough to float, so they would sink down eventually being crushed by the pressure. In space, there is no pressure and technically as long as you have an air supply, it shouldn't be a problem in a machine such as a Ganmen. However, they can't just launch into space either alone since they are so small (unless its Gurren-Laggan which defies all laws of physics). If you recall, they had a rocket propelled machine made by Leeron to boost them into space.
Old 2010-12-18, 13:40   Link #1062
TejayHighlander
Rookie Shinigami

I must know!

Okay, it's been killing me lately. What is the song playing during episode fifteen right as the Spiral King turns into a giant drill and then Simon drills up through it with the Lagann? It ends right at the part right where the Spiral King gets out of the Razengan and punches the Lagann. I have to know, but I can't figure it out no matter how many times I listen to the OST.
TejayHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 14:12   Link #1063
Subzero00

Can there ever be a sequal or spin off to Gurren-Lagann ?
Subzero00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 22:16   Link #1064
GreatTeacherKen

Well technically there are already spinoffs of the series like the Yoko music video and I believe there is a high school alternate universe manga called Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Gurren Gakuen-hen.

As for sequels, who knows? The series tells a complete story so I don't think it's entirely necessary though if one were to pop up somewhere down the line, I'd certainly watch it.

If they make a sequel, I think it'll probably be like Getter Robo Go or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, focus on a new set of protagonists and have the old characters in supporting roles.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 08:13   Link #1065
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

If there's a sequel---
It'll be really hard to find an enemy that is more stronger than Anti-Spiral, a crisis that is more dangerous than Spiral Nemesis, and also-- a mecha that can surpass the size of Chou Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Gurren Lagann legacy is started through Simon, it also ended through Simon itself.
If there's a sequel, somehow I doubt if there's a chance to defeat or even creating a will that'll be able to defeat Simon's will.
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 08:06   Link #1066
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
If there's a sequel---
It'll be really hard to find an enemy that is more stronger than Anti-Spiral, a crisis that is more dangerous than Spiral Nemesis, and also-- a mecha that can surpass the size of Chou Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Gurren Lagann legacy is started through Simon, it also ended through Simon itself.
If there's a sequel, somehow I doubt if there's a chance to defeat or even creating a will that'll be able to defeat Simon's will.
I couldn't see there being a sequel. The story goes full circle and it's one of the few animes I've seen where I felt satisfied at the end.

God, I feel like rewatching TTGL.

Never a bad thing.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 00:19   Link #1067
Suomi
Kaiba

not sure if I have the right thread.
I have a friend who's interested in watching Gurren Laggan, but there's also a manga...which is better, in your opinion? (whomever's opinion)
Old 2011-07-30, 17:25   Link #1068
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Anime hands down.

Make sure they watch it subbed and not dubbed though otherwise the pure epic nature of TTGL is wasted.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-07, 11:26   Link #1069
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
If there's a sequel---

If there ever was a sequel I'd feel the most fitting would be the rise and fall of Garlock. It's basically the most interesting story that hasn't been expanded upon and could be used to explain precisely what the Spiral Nemisis was as well as give the characters certain alternate backstories and a Simon and a dai gurren that wasn't completely covered in Kamina's shadow (intro Simon didn't sound like a person who was influenecd by Kamina quite as much as regular Simon, plus he was equally domineering to his crew as Kamina was).
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 10:26   Link #1070
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
I couldn't see there being a sequel. The story goes full circle and it's one of the few animes I've seen where I felt satisfied at the end.

God, I feel like rewatching TTGL.

Never a bad thing.
Sure it is.

I'm always rewatching if there's a lot of free time during holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusore View Post
not sure if I have the right thread.
I have a friend who's interested in watching Gurren Laggan, but there's also a manga...which is better, in your opinion? (whomever's opinion)
Anime is better.
Manga is not too bad.

IMHO, if you want the whole story, watch the anime.
If you're only looking for the important point in the story, read the manga.
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 11:48   Link #1071
redwolfbear

well heres a worthwhile idea worth exploring styrline wise if you as k me

let me know what you think of this

imagine for a moment how gurren lagann from the end of episode 8 on might have played out all the way to the end of episode 27 if in episode 9 instead of simon finding nea in that chamber thing he instead found a person that was literally a female kamina

this female kamina being in every way possible the exact same person the real kamina had been in life all the way down to this female kamina even sounding like him and even having the same exact psyche, mind set, memories personality and attitude and outlook on life and epic sense of manlyness as the real kamina had in life

well as much as it woudl be possible for a wome to actually have that epic sense of manliness any way.

the only real noticable differance in this female kamina's life besides the fact this kamina is a member of the completly opposite sex from the male kamina of the main gurren laggan universe's earth is this

there is a somewhat minor differance in the female kamina's memories of how the drawn out 2 day battle for dia gunzen played out

for the female kamina in whatever alternate reality mirror universe she came from it was simon and yoko that had died that day in the female kaminas life.

the other major differance in the female kamina's life is the fact that the female kamina and her yoko were just begining to explore their lesbiean relationship as lovers the night before she saw her yoko and simon die

how the female kamina wound up in the main universe on earth in that container is a mystery that leeron would eventually manage to solve over time

but here is where the storyline woudl really get interesting for the anime series

betwen simon griveing for the death of his adopted older brother/father figure the male kamina

simon finding himself having been adopted right away by this female kamina into a younger brother older sister /adopted mother /son family relationship

yoko grieving for the death of her lover the male kamina and over time finding herself in the long term falling in love with the female kamina as they each help each other and simon come to terms with the deaths of their loved ones

for simon yoko and the female kimina from their viewpoint on the matter in a way it would be like each of them would be finding thierself having been given a kind of second chance in life opportunity to further explore their relationships and lives with the person each of them had known in life and had loved and lost to death where each of them finding a true to life parallelle universe version of their departed loved ones are concerned

it being akin to a older person literally having been given this once in a lifetime second chance opportunity in their life to explore the path not taken by that person in their youth

and with kittan being totally smitten in lust for the female kittan while still having a competitive streak with her and completely tripping all over himself like a total idiot doing his damndest to score with the female kamina

all it would do is piss both girls off for kittan being completely blind to the fact that the female kamina is just not interested in him or any man for that matter

jsut think of all the beatdowns and the catfights that would come out of that 3 way love triangle over time

to be honest though with yoko and the female kamina as same sex lesbian lovers

with each of those 2 attempting over time to use their spiral power and their love and devotion to one another to concieve in eachother a child or two together

i think it would be safe to say that this very act alone would be the ultimate test of using sprial power to make the impossible possible through sheer force of will heart felt desire , and love

think about it for a second those 2 being a couple of women very deeply in love with one another with each of them desperate in their desire to concieve a child with the other over time with each of them actually getting the other pregnent with the others child over time

if anything could make that possible for the two in the long run it would be spiral power

i actually think it would be a very suitable way to end yoko and the female kaminas story as lovers starting a family of their own together by the end of the anime series for the two of them to actually have a child or 2 of their own born by the end of the anime seires final scene in which each of their children is actually a half and half equal parts hybrid clone of each ofthe wome nwho are the child's mothers

the anime series could stil lpaly out true for the most part as it had originally with nea showinguop over timeand playing her role with team dai gurren in simons life and in the long term

but at the same time in its ay it would also make it possible to keep kamina's character around all the way to theend of theseries in such away that simon would have plenty of room to mature and to come into his own in beocming his own man over time.imagine for a moment how gurren lagann from the end of episode 8 on might have played out all the way to the end of episode 27 if in episode 9 instead of simon finding nea in that chamber thing he instead found a person that was literally a female kamina

this female kamina being the exact same person the real kamina had been in life all the way down to this female kamina even sounding like him for the most part vocie wise and even having the same exact psyche, mind set, memories personality and attitude and outlook on life and epic sense of manlyness as the real kamina had in life

the only real noticable differance in this female kamina's life besides the fact this kamina is a member of the completly opposite sex from the dead male kamina of the main gurren laggan universe's earth is this

there is a somewhat minor differance in the female kamina's memories of how the drawn out 2 day battle for diagunzen played out

for the female kamina in whatever alternate reality mirror universe she came from it was simon and yoko that had died that day in the female kaminas life

the other major differance i nthe female kamina's life is the fact that the female kamina and her yoko were just begining to explore their lesbiean relationship as lovers the night before she sawe her yoko and simon die

how the female kamina wound up in the main universe on earth in that container is a mystery that leeron would eventually manage to solve over time

but here is where the storyline woudl really get interesting for the anime series

betwen simon griveing for the death of his adopted older brother/father figure kamina

simon finding himself having been adopted right away by this female kamina into a younger brother older sister /adopted mother /son family relationship

yoko grieving for the death of her lover the male kamina and over time finding herself in the long term falling in love with the female kamina as they each help each other and simon come to terms with the deaths of their loved ones

for simon yoko and the female kimina from their viewpoint on the matter in a way it would be like each of them would be finding thierself having been given a kind of second chance in life opportunity to further explore their relationships and lives with the person each of them had known in life and had loved and lost to death where their departed loved ones are concerned

it being akin to a older person literally having been given this once in a lifetime second chance opportunity in their life to explore the path not taken by that person in their youth

and with kittan being totally smitten in lust for the female kittan while still having a competitive streak with her and completely tripping all over himself like a total idiot doing his damndest to score with the female kamina

all it would do is piss both girls off for kittan being completely blind to the fact that the female kamina is just not interested in him or any man for that matter

jsut think of all the beatdowns and the catfights that would come out of that 3 way love triangle over time

to be honest though with yoko and the female kamina as same sex lesbian lovers

with each of those 2 attempting over time to use their spiral power and their love and devotion to one another to concieve in eachother a child or two together

i think it would be safe to say that this very act alone would be the ultimate test of using sprial power to make the impossible possible through sheer force of will heart felt desire , and love

think about it for a second those 2 being a couple of women very deeply in love with one another with each of them desperate in their desire to concieve a child with the other over time with each of the mactually getting the other pregnent with the others child over time

if anything could make that possible for the two in the long run it would be spiral power

i actually think it would be a very suitable way to end yoko and the female kaminas story as lovers starting a family of their own together by the end of the anime series for the two of them to actually have a child or 2 of their own born by the end of the anime seires final scene in which each of their children is actually a half and half equal parts hybrid clone of both of their mothers.
redwolfbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 14:26   Link #1072
jbaass

sound like what would of happened if kamina hadn't of died with lesbainism throw in. i'm not sure mate, the story was simple enough which was needed for the series to be funny, and completely stupid, which for me made it what it was for me.

i think though it would have been good (maybe for a altanate version) if , simone had died and kamina got all depressed and completely changed it to abit of a psycho (saying he wasn't one already, but i mean a bad one) killing anyone that got in the way that slowed them down, like Kittan (because alway telling him to not be reckless or something) and rossiu, because he is such a burke anyway, nia for always going on about love because he would be in such despire.

there would be any of the goverment tuff either because kamina is one such a mad one that he doesn't care about the humans any more, and would continue with yoko but doesn't care about her whereas she is would feel like "one day he'll be back to the kamida know".

but in the end they lose against the anti-spirals, basically because simone isn't there. but i still think the series is awesome and couldn't be made better.
jbaass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 22:37   Link #1073
Saeryn

Im not sure if anyone agrees with me on this, but does anyone else think Simon is ageless? Due to the infinite Spiral Power he has? Similiar to Lordgenome.
Saeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 01:48   Link #1074
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Figured I'd put this here since the Figure thread was closed.

Here's my 15 minute review of Riobot Gurren-Lagann. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/D2jem4ALfmI
Old 2012-10-04, 03:53   Link #1075
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Quote:
IMHO, if you want the whole story, watch the anime.
If you're only looking for the important point in the story, read the manga.
Can't say for the entirety but actually the manga takes more than "only cover the important point", in fact there's some original materials the anime didn't cover. For examples are these, from volume 5 which just out on my country (really glad they license GL here).

Spoiler for GL vol 5:
Old 2013-01-04, 13:09   Link #1076
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

And up it goes!
TTGL Compelte Blu-ray Box is announced and the listing is up on the Japanese Amazon.
It includes the series, the movies, both parallel works and Yoko music video, DS OVA, an encompassing collection of extras from all the previous DVDs, 4 Drama CDs (1 of which is new) as well as CDs that were included with Yoko MV and Parallel Works 2. TV series are said to be "re-filmed in HD under the supervision of the director of Hiroyuki Imaishi" and include English subtitles and dub, movies have just the subtitles. The set also has an illustration book and a harcover book with early archival never-before-seen lineart.

It also costs 63 000 yen in retail, but with that volume of content...
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 22:12   Link #1077
Tecprincess

well this was kinda unexpected

I normally don't like Mech animes because they tend to be well around Mechs and not the characters. What I mean by that is well 75% of the time you just see mechs like in gundum series because its just mech fights and feels like that's all I see. The only gundum I manage to enjoy was G-gundum (because of the unique piloting) and the one they showed on Tsunami back in the late nineties where the gundums were the characters themselves and were midget gundums. Forgot the name but was interesting.

Watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, I am enjoying watching that anime. It has a nice balance between mech and out of mech development. Plus I enjoyed the comedy in it. So Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann gets a + in my books.
Old 2013-02-28, 22:49   Link #1078
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecprincess View Post
I normally don't like Mech animes because they tend to be well around Mechs and not the characters. What I mean by that is well 75% of the time you just see mechs like in gundum series because its just mech fights and feels like that's all I see. The only gundum I manage to enjoy was G-gundum (because of the unique piloting) and the one they showed on Tsunami back in the late nineties where the gundums were the characters themselves and were midget gundums. Forgot the name but was interesting.

Watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, I am enjoying watching that anime. It has a nice balance between mech and out of mech development. Plus I enjoyed the comedy in it. So Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann gets a + in my books.
If you think that most of Gundam series are not focusing on characters and just mecha battles, I suggest you watch The 08th MS Team and then continue with Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. As for other good mecha series, you can try the new ones like Broken Blade, Evangelion Rebuild movies or oldies like Patlabor and Evangelion series. There's also Code Geass but that is a "love it or hate it" series.

Btw, I also adore Gurren Lagann, just like you .
Old 2013-03-02, 04:56   Link #1079
Haiprbim
Banned

I still have to watch this!
I can't stand at looking at Yoko everyday on her poster and not watching the Anime.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 21:31   Link #1080
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Whoever gets this is a hero (no not really, $550 is a big amount...)