AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-26, 09:53   Link #681
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisArk View Post
Macross Plus is toted as a compilation, isn't it? It isn't advertised as a "new telling" as this movie.
It isn't? Sure SEEMED like it was from the trailers I saw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisArk View Post
Huh? I'm kinda confused.
Sorry, I tried to keep the tangent confined to the parentheses, which may have made it less comprehensible. I just find it odd that people keep using DYRL to bash this movie in NEARLY every respect...no one bashes the Frontier music, though.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 10:16   Link #682
RisArk

I just find it more groan-worthy than usual when they go this far to animate new things, and then re-use the Macross punch at the end.

I'm just comparing how DYRL re-told SDF compared to False Songtress re-told Frontier. Like I said, I'm partly on the side that it's probably as good, it's just DYRL had better source material and mythology to pull from (Plus far better animation and a new, better endgame song).
RisArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 11:08   Link #683
justavisitor

I really like the movie, maybe I even like it a bit more than the TV series itself

And got to appreciate how the staff handles the relationship..yes, everyone got a bit different background but it really hasn't changed much...For example, Brera is still Ranka's brother (seems like it)...so ppl who watched the TV series wouldn't have too much trouble to adapt into the movie

Characters' personalities haven't changed much either...Ranka is the old Ranka, Alto is still the same Alto...so audiences won't complain that their favorite character got the wrong treatment

And the plot is much more understandable and straight forward

Can't wait for the 2nd movie and hopefully they will decide to use completely new footage at that time (even tho the chance is pretty slim XD)
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 13:42   Link #684
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Aya Endo sure is adorable.
Especially while playing Macross Trial Frontier.

I was coming into this thread with the mind set of sharing my thoughts on the film, though these videos have completely changed that.
Old 2010-10-26, 15:14   Link #685
scarlet512
カレン愛してるよ

Spoiler for Ultra Spoiler:

Finally saw it

Was really good overall. I actually liked the pace and character development in this one more. There's new conflicts introduced and the storyline handled it well.

As for the fanservice, wasn't much and not unnecessary imo.
scarlet512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 17:28   Link #686
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
I really like the movie, maybe I even like it a bit more than the TV series itself
Of course you would. ^^

Quote:
Characters' personalities haven't changed much either...Ranka is the old Ranka, Alto is still the same Alto...so audiences won't complain that their favorite character got the wrong treatment
Are you kidding me? Ranka is way, way better than in the series. She actually shows some empathy and takes responsibility for herself. Impressively improved. I actually consider her an actual contender in the triangle in this version. Which, I am sure, was the intention of the changes to her.

OTOH, Sheryl still is missing some of the awesome of the series, although she is pretty similar to the series Sheryl of episodes 1-7. The triangle is less lopsided, but somehow also less involved. The feelings the three characters have for each other don't resonate as much yet.

Quote:
And the plot is much more understandable and straight forward
I'd say streamlined for a movie. The plot of the series wasn't complicated at all, here we have even less information on the Vajra. OTOH the whole cabal behind Galaxy is revealed much earlier. Well, it's only the first movie, so the rest may come in the second, be it for the romance or the plot. We are dealing with half a work here, after all.
Old 2010-10-26, 17:31   Link #687
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Moving this post to the film thread, because it totally doesn't belong in the rewatch one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeah, tell me about it. Ah, well. Here's to him surviving movie two.
It would be pretty damn horrible to kill him off in the second film after teasing his death in the first. Maybe this means we'll see another death happen, or none at all?
Old 2010-10-26, 17:32   Link #688
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Moving this post to the film thread, because it totally doesn't belong in the rewatch one.

It would be pretty damn horrible to kill him off in the second film after teasing his death in the first. Maybe this means we'll see another death happen, or none at all?
Probably Klan, to be extra trollish.
Old 2010-10-26, 17:32   Link #689
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Don't say that.
Old 2010-10-26, 17:53   Link #690
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Please, no.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 17:54   Link #691
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Don't say that.
Sorry. I want Klan and Michael to survive, too.
Old 2010-10-26, 18:50   Link #692
ciplasmed

Quote:
hahahaha do not say that. Do not want to cry for Klan and Michel again.
Sorry my poor english.
ciplasmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 19:00   Link #693
scarlet512
カレン愛してるよ

I love watching Klan and Mikhail as much as I love watching Miria and Max. They need to survive!
Old 2010-10-26, 20:01   Link #694
justavisitor

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Ranka is way, way better than in the series. She actually shows some empathy and takes responsibility for herself. Impressively improved. I actually consider her an actual contender in the triangle in this version. Which, I am sure, was the intention of the changes to her.
I don't feel Ranka has changed that much...it's more like how the same character will act in a different situation...imo none of the characters in the movie has a big personality change

Of course, since our perception on Ranka is completely different, I am sure we will disagree with each other once again
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2010-10-26, 20:40   Link #695
Lancel

Generally I think we just get to know Ranka better in the movie, and I think that's largely because Nanase's part in Ranka's life was largely replaced by Alto. It let her get out more and gave her a venue for a more dramatic scene, while the scenes with Nanase seemed to inevitably tend toward comedy. I mean considering the series again, I think one of the major flaws for Ranka was simply one of happenstance, she had a lot of scenes with characters who were not Alto. She had Nanase, Ai-kun, and subplots with Brera and Ozma in addition to her romantic plotline with Alto. Sheryl, meanwhile, rarely had scenes with anyone else, it was usually Alto, sometimes Ranka and Grace, and occasionally the rest of the cast. Star Date is a fine example really, as Ranka spends a lot of time with Mikhail while Sheryl spends a lot of time with Alto. Also Alto's time with Ranka is inevitably hijacked by action scenes of him saving her (and the one time vice versa). Point is, replacing Nanase with Alto probably helped her out a lot.

Anyway I personally enjoyed the movie, especially Sheryl and Brera's first on-screen meeting. Sheryl's screams as Brera darts off with her was hilarious and cute.

More impressively... *ahem*

Spoiler for Itsuwari no utahime:
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 20:44   Link #696
justavisitor

@Lancel
That's a very interesting analysis...never thought of that...it was a pretty good read

But Yot-chan probably won't like it lol (because Yot-chan is a big Nanase fan in here )
Old 2010-10-26, 21:16   Link #697
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
@Lancel
That's a very interesting analysis...never thought of that...it was a pretty good read

But Yot-chan probably won't like it lol (because Yot-chan is a big Nanase fan in here )
"A" Nanase fan? I get the feeling I'm THE ONLY Nanase fan here...
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 21:22   Link #698
justavisitor

lol...correction

Yot-chan is one of the most active Nanase fans in here

better?

Or just simply tell me how I should rewrite my last sentence and I would happily comply
Old 2010-10-27, 03:41   Link #699
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
and Brera's
I hope i wasn't the only one that couldn't help but giggle to myself everytime he appeared on screen . I just couldn't take him and that attire seriously. Along with THAT SMILE he gave Alto at the end of the film.
Old 2010-10-27, 10:09   Link #700
scarlet512
カレン愛してるよ

When is the next movie coming?

I loved how Sheryl took the initiative to hire the SMS