AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-11-01, 18:55   Link #1481
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
guess you guys' strategy on these cross-game's avatar is working (at least I am buying it )...I thought someone was gonna re-anime "touch" lol...never heard of this anime, so I went to wikipedia for a check ---baseball highschool romance story...sounds like it fits my taste...the only problem is I don't know whether I should read the manga or watch the anime...I heard the manga is still ongoing...will anime and manga end at the same time??
I would say it's down to your level of patience and preferences. If you really prefer anime and can sit though cliffhangers then go with the anime. If you need to know RIGHT NOW like I do then go for the manga. That being said the manga is not complete but it is nearing completion but the mangaka also likes to take long breaks at crucial moments in the story. I would probably start with the anime, if you get to where the anime is currently and feel like you need more then you can pick up on the manga, they're pretty much almost identical.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 19:06   Link #1482
justavisitor

Thanks for the advice Proto and mit7059...if they are pretty much identical I guess I will take both...probably anime first and then manga (or first few episode of the anime and then first 2 volumes of the manga) like you two suggest...

Many thx for the tips...I will probably enjoy this because these kind of stories totally fit my type..but now I need to find a time slot..damn
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 19:23   Link #1483
typhonsentra

I'm actually behind and just watched the recap episode. I found it valuable because it's been so long since the first episode it's easy to lose sight of why this is so important to them. It made me tear up again a bit too. It also adds some weight to why this new girl affects him so much even if it would be obvious without it, it helps place the viewer into his position a little better.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 19:27   Link #1484
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Which is a direct hit to me, isn't it?
Well, it wasn't a hit, but if it works... and it did! Thank you so much for these wonderful avatars, Pelli. Loved your project and it sucks that we cannot use the whole thing here - but I'll take whatever we can get!

Too bad, my cookie maker is on the fritz right now, I'll start baking some more right away...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 19:29   Link #1485
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
woah pretty nice episode.

Spoiler for so the new Waka's look alike name is (this week's question):

Spoiler for preview:
Old 2009-11-01, 21:37   Link #1486
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Just finished watching episode 31 and I must say, another great episode for Cross Game.

Spoiler for Episode 31:

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2009-11-01 at 22:16. Reason: Corrections :p
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 21:42   Link #1487
haru_sunye

It seems like this will be my first post on the Cross Game board. Yay! But anyway, great idea on the avatar/signature idea to promote the series! I think I shall jump on the bandwagon too since CG deserves more love and attention.
haru_sunye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 22:48   Link #1488
SeaDoor

Hmm... For the first time in this series, I'm a bit disappointed with an episode.
For a series that has shown such a light touch in past episodes, this episode felt very heavy-handed. To me it seemed almost oppressive to the extent that even lighter moments like Momiji's mooching off the alter offering came across as just wrong. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind to see this episode tonight.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 23:15   Link #1489
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

They keep dragging out that damn song, and it never loses it's punch...

Spoiler for Do They Grow Up?:

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2009-11-02 at 01:38.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 23:37   Link #1490
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Cross Game Avatar Week??

Is it because of
Spoiler for eps31:
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 23:50   Link #1491
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Cross Game Avatar Week??

Is it because of
Spoiler for eps31:
Nah we're just trying to get more people into Cross Game. It's a charity event.

Old 2009-11-01, 23:53   Link #1492
totalnet

Don't feel need for the spoiler tag, since the sub for ep31 is out.

You know there is some conflicting emotions happening within Kou. In his dream and in turn his subconscious, Wakaba is coming back into his live. Of course, he knows the person that looks like Wakaba is not Wakaba. But damn, her smile is dumbfounding him.

As I watch the cemetery section of the episode, it felt like that Aoba told Kou to pickup Wakaba and take her to the festival. Well from the point of view of Aoba, Kou is coming back from the cemetery with Wakaba.

PS, anyone notice Punch from Touch is on Aoba's alarm clock?
totalnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 23:53   Link #1493
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post

Spoiler for Wakaba:
That was wonderfully put, I couldn't have said it better myself. I see that you didn't mention Azuma's comment in the beginning which I enjoyed just as well

Spoiler for Conversation between Kou and Azuma:

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 23:54   Link #1494
Azuma Denton
~AD~

The line i remember when Aoba seeing Akane...

"Can a ghost growing up??"
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-02, 00:01   Link #1495
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Cross Game Avatar Week??

Is it because of
Spoiler for eps31:
No.. just another coincidence in a long string of many.

You know it's strange, intellectually it's heavy handed, but the way it's treated down plays that. Not to mention, I have experienced days like this. Days when for some reason everything is freighted with meaning, as if you are standing on the cusp of something big, and every action echos some important part of your past. Most days just go by, but that day, this day, it's as if the world has slowed down and all of God's attention is on you. God reaches out His finger to meddle in your life and somehow you know that today is important, even if you don't know why.

It's a strange feeling, that's only happened to me a half dozen times or so- and only once did it last a whole day. But it is a real feeling- when life suddenly goes surreal. And instead of freaking out over it, Kou's reaction is so on- you just feel sort of dazed by it all.

Surreal. That's the word for it. And sometimes it does happen. It really does. (Like the day I almost got taken to jail because my driving companion was on the FBI most wanted list- that was a weird day. Or the time the three girls I was dating all moved in together and became each other's roommates. Or the time I accidentally took two girls on a simultaneous date- life really is stranger than fiction.)

I thought Aoba's reaction was amusing though.

Spoiler for Aoba's reaction:

I don't know. Most other shows would have messed this up, but Cross Game once again threaded the needle, and made it work.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-02, 00:02   Link #1496
mit7059

This may seem small compared to the overall impact of the episode but the part where Mizuki fixes Aoba's clock was one of the first times the anime gave me a totally different impression from the manga. When she says that he is 'handy' after seeing his hands she seemed very sarcastic which was totally different from the feel I got from the manga.
Spoiler for Am I the only one who thinks so?:

I though this episode was good but I do think that Kou's dream was a little heavy handed, another place where the anime differed from the manga, which was a lot more subtle. Aside from the dream though I think it was masterfully done.

Old 2009-11-02, 00:03   Link #1497
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
That was wonderfully put, I couldn't have said it better myself. I see that you didn't mention Azuma's comment in the beginning which I enjoyed just as well

Spoiler for Conversation between Kou and Azuma:
Yes, I did neglect to mention that - it was one of my favorite moments as well (I LOL'd). Delivered in inimitable Azuma deadpan fashion, and it was the pause at the end that really sold it!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-02, 00:03   Link #1498
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
No matter how many times I rewatch the episode, or reread the manga... It never fails to make me teary eyed. The song really matches the scene very well.
Old 2009-11-02, 00:04   Link #1499
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
Quote:
The line i remember when Aoba seeing Akane...

"Can a ghost growing up??"
And afterward, Aoba says "you better send her back properly" made me laugh.
Old 2009-11-02, 00:07   Link #1500
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
This may seem small compared to the overall impact of the episode but the part where Mizuki fixes Aoba's clock was one of the first times the anime gave me a totally different impression from the manga. When she says that he is 'handy' after seeing his hands she seemed very sarcastic which was totally different from the feel I got from the manga.
Spoiler for Am I the only one who thinks so?:

I though this episode was good but I do think that Kou's dream was a little heavy handed, another place where the anime differed from the manga, which was a lot more subtle. Aside from the dream though I think it was masterfully done.
Dreams are heavy handed sometimes- we can't really control our dreams.

As for Aoba. Anime version I got the impression of sarcasm concealing a small bit of affection. Manga gives the impression of gratidue with a bit of a snicker underneath.

Pretty similar feelings I think.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports