AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-04-27, 13:26   Link #61
Twi

Review done, changes below. They skipped out on some stuff about Simon and Stella, so read at your own risk.

Spoiler:
Old 2023-04-27, 18:15   Link #62
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the kind of stuff they could easily add in later. I think they're focusing on the College arc and if the show is successful enough to get a third season, they go back and cover all this. They did leave Chise smelling Stella to leave the door open.

Anyway, it was a nice episode, and explained why Elias called Chise his bride when he never treated her like one. Turns out Rahab didn't explain so good.
Old 2023-04-27, 19:46   Link #63
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the kind of stuff they could easily add in later. I think they're focusing on the College arc and if the show is successful enough to get a third season, they go back and cover all this. They did leave Chise smelling Stella to leave the door open.

Anyway, it was a nice episode, and explained why Elias called Chise his bride when he never treated her like one. Turns out Rahab didn't explain so good.
Like I said, it's stuff that won't factor into the current arc so I get why they trimmed it since they don't have 24 episodes to work with, but I hate that it was removed. They're working with the episode count they have. I'm just posting all of it in the event they don't come back to it or we don't get a Season 3.

Or realistically Season 4 depending on where the 12 episodes end. The arc itself is as long as the first half covered in Season 1.
Old 2023-04-27, 20:45   Link #64
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well its good to see Rahab again but she could of picked a better time to summoner her then when she was with Stella

That is some short cut but it really have its draw backs
Old 2023-04-27, 22:38   Link #65
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Review done, changes below. They skipped out on some stuff about Simon and Stella, so read at your own risk.

Spoiler:
Poor Simon. Just...poor Simon.
Old 2023-05-04, 09:28   Link #66
belatkuro
Kuro-chan

Kinda sus of the hood guy to fall down just before the contract took effect. Wonder if it actually took effect for him at all and he will expose Ivy without repercussions later on.
belatkuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-04, 10:31   Link #67
Frontier

Is Lucy in some kind of long-distance relationship with someone? Not that she seems to care to hear from them. I wonder if it's the person Chise reminds her of .

Chise and Lucy are still feeling each other out and Lucy is still very prickly and harsh, but it's not out of any sense of malice, she's just a very straightforward and serious person and doesn't have time for any nonsense...but she also is surprisingly considerate in her own way. She reminds me a lot of Miorine from Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury .

"The Webster Tragedy?" I guess if her entire family was wiped out, that would explain a lot about why Lucy is so surly and distrusting. And it seems like the Seven Shields Families might've been involved? Especially considering how hostile she was towards Rian .

Lore! So we've got the Seven Shields' Families who formed the college to keep sorcery going after the war ended, and Chise even has four members of said families in her class, though Rian seems keen to leave his family behind and forge his own destiny .

Well, that escalated quickly. Zoe tries to avoid Chise, Chise tries to apologize, Lucy won't let Zoe get away until he hears Chise out and thinks he's just being rude...and then it turns out he's a Gorgon with snakes for hair !

Zoe actually has a pretty interesting story. Gorgons don't speak normal human language and yet his father, who was a sorcerer and mage-linguist, was able to meet, fall in love, and start a family with his Gorgon mother (and she seemed quite the beauty). Even hatched Zoe right out of an egg, of all things !

So Zoe as a hybrid was an outcast even in his village...and then his dad couldn't be bothered to keep worrying about him over his own work, so he sent him off to the College. Although I guess it did provide him a chance to make some real friends and meet people with their own issues that can relate to him. Lucy even complimented his hair !

Chise and Philomela have to stop meeting like this. So Philomela's family is known for intelligence gathering which is why she's spying on everybody? But it seems like she's being controlled and has no sense of will outside what people tell her to do. It says a lot that it seems like Chise was able to get through to her because she made a request rather than order, something Philomela isn't used to .

I guess this turned out for the best, all things considered. Chise got to make friends with Zoe, Chise and Zoe's secrets are out but to people they can more or less trust (even besides the contract which seemed more for Philomela than for the rest), Chise might have made a connection with Philomela, and we saw some new sides to Lucy !

Seems like the St. George twins have their own hang-ups about inheriting the family business, though they also seem to be considering leaving it behind on their own terms to become Mages...
Old 2023-05-04, 14:37   Link #68
Twi

You know what time it is. The review is done, and the changes that explain a lot of the subtle details are below:

Spoiler:

Overall, there were just a lot of little details that were absent due to time rather than it being outright cut, but with those little details you can understand the situation between the Seven Shields (contrast to the Church) and insight into Philomela's situation, as well as more insight into Chise's developing physiology since she can even pick up the scent of fear. Zoey being a one-of-a-kind hybrid is also interesting in its own way since there are a lot of parallels to Chise's situation.
Old 2023-05-04, 17:58   Link #69
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Was the scene where Chise puts her nose against Ruth's in the manga too? Were they sharing Zoe's smell?

I'm surprised the pace of the anime is still this slow given how much content they're cutting. I guess making it a single cour might have been intentional, as in they felt it was too long. Not that I'm disliking it, but not much has happened compared to S1.

I kinda thought Chise was staying at the dorm during the week and going home for the week-ends. Why did they even give her a room? Works great for Lucy either way, she basically has the room for herself. I like Lucy, she basically has no filter and doesn't care what other people think of her. The opposite of Chise.
Old 2023-05-04, 18:13   Link #70
Twi

Yes, actually. Ruth tells Chise that they'll put both their noses together to find Zoey in the manga while doing so.

And all students technically get a dorm room, it's just that Chise's circumstances are unique due to the fact that she has access to travel methods most sorcerers don't. She's enrolled as an ordinary student (even if she can't do the practical magic classes), but she just so happens to know a shortcut that reduces a three-hour trip into 5 minutes. Mage privileges, am I right?

Now that I think about it, outright teleportation is something that only Mages really use (with a few exceptions, one of which might be mentioned next episode) and even that takes more magical energy than a sorcerer typically can utilize from their magical cores. Elias skipping from London to his home with Chise in the first episode of Season One was from him tapping Chise's reserves and we saw that she could fly back home from the Dragon Sanctuary in practically no time, which is something a sorcerer likely couldn't do. That's typically why Sleigh Beggys are so valuable because they pump out so much magical energy while being able to absorb it from the atmosphere like Mages, but they keep dying young for a variety of reasons despite more of them being born than natural born mages and sorcerers.
Old 2023-05-04, 20:49   Link #71
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well Ivy finely show what he is and Chise react at all didnt even flinch when the snakes came to her

Lucy just to stubborn
Old 2023-05-05, 09:25   Link #72
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I kinda thought Chise was staying at the dorm during the week and going home for the week-ends. Why did they even give her a room? Works great for Lucy either way, she basically has the room for herself. I like Lucy, she basically has no filter and doesn't care what other people think of her. The opposite of Chise.
I like her too, but I still think it's pretty insensitive to tell Chise, whose first language isn't English, that she talks weird.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-05, 10:41   Link #73
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ripping those ear muffs off Zoe was a lot worse than just insensitive.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-05, 11:24   Link #74
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Ripping those ear muffs off Zoe was a lot worse than just insensitive.
Admittedly she thought it was to tune other people out but not for basically health reasons...and she did apologize for it.
Old 2023-05-05, 12:02   Link #75
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In what war did mages and sorcerers die as Isaac recounts over lunch? I believe Mahoutsukai no yome takes place in present-day London and environs. Is he talking about World War II? Some other fantastical war where mages and sorcerers allied to fight monsters? Have we ever been shown or told anything about this war? I re-watched all of season one just recently and don't remember any mention of it there. Perhaps I just missed it. You'd think that a war where mages and sorcerers allied together might have come up in one of the conversations between Elias and Renfred. I'll take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Is Lucy in some kind of long-distance relationship with someone? Not that she seems to care to hear from them. I wonder if it's the person Chise reminds her of .
I thought it might be a parent, but you could be right. It might be a spurned lover, though it's hard to see why anyone would want to be in a relationship with Lucy given her current personality. Already in this episode though we can see the inevitable melting effect Chise has on everyone around her.

And I drew the same conclusion Lucy did about Zoe's ear muffs. I thought they might even be playing music. Lucy has a cellphone so Zoe wearing a pair of headphones doesn't seem out of place.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2023-05-05 at 12:19.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-05, 13:55   Link #76
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
In what war did mages and sorcerers die as Isaac recounts over lunch? I believe Mahoutsukai no yome takes place in present-day London and environs. Is he talking about World War II? Some other fantastical war where mages and sorcerers allied to fight monsters? Have we ever been shown or told anything about this war? I re-watched all of season one just recently and don't remember any mention of it there. Perhaps I just missed it. You'd think that a war where mages and sorcerers allied together might have come up in one of the conversations between Elias and Renfred. I'll take a look.

It's WWII. One character we've seen actually lived through the war and came back to find their home (Dresden) destroyed by the end, though I'm not sure if they'll cut that info or not.
Old 2023-05-05, 18:26   Link #77
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I like her too, but I still think it's pretty insensitive to tell Chise, whose first language isn't English, that she talks weird.
That wasn't what she meant. Chise always uses keigo, and that's what ticked her off. It's ironically a bit hard to convey in English when it's supposed to the language they're using. Well, basically, overly polite and apologetic.
Old 2023-05-06, 03:13   Link #78
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
That wasn't what she meant. Chise always uses keigo, and that's what ticked her off. It's ironically a bit hard to convey in English when it's supposed to the language they're using. Well, basically, overly polite and apologetic.
I know it's actually a Japanese story in Japanese, and probably wasn't meant that way. But still: if a foreigner speaks in stilted, overly polite English, maybe it's because their command of the English language is lacking, or because they lack the cultural baggage to be confident of when they can use a more relaxed language, or even because the more familiar turn of phrases aren't actually any easier than the polite ones from their perspective. Anyway, it's rude to get all up in their grill about it.

And word of god is that Chise is a relatively recent learner of English. (IIRC, she started studying it seriously when she decided to sell herself.) She's doing very well to never have problems communicating.
Old 2023-05-06, 06:51   Link #79
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I get what you mean now. That's a good point, I hadn't seen things from that perspective.

I never thought much about the lack of language barrier for Chise. Kinda figured it was magic.
Old 2023-05-06, 07:17   Link #80
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I get what you mean now. That's a good point, I hadn't seen things from that perspective.

I never thought much about the lack of language barrier for Chise. Kinda figured it was magic.
Trivia: it's why Ruth has a girl's name. She didn't know it was one.

Tags
drama, fantasy