AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2010-06-06, 02:27   Link #221
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

Send a message via MSN to Agito Akiyama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
What about a Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster? One of my dream guitars after a Mustang is a Stratocaster.
If I would get a new guitar it's going to be a Stratocaster or a Jaguar or even the Mustang, IDK, I'm not a guitarist and I'm not sure I'm going to buy a guitar though I would really like to, I started on guitar...
Old 2010-06-06, 02:39   Link #222
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agito Akiyama View Post
If I would get a new guitar it's going to be a Stratocaster or a Jaguar or even the Mustang, IDK, I'm not a guitarist and I'm not sure I'm going to buy a guitar though I would really like to, I started on guitar...
I suggest a Fender, one of the "casters".

But I would still rather you stroll around online and offline(IRL) to look for a guitar you are choosing if you have a budget. And if you DO have one, please don't buy a Les Paul : those are damned expensive.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 06:08   Link #223
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I suggest a Fender, one of the "casters".

But I would still rather you stroll around online and offline(IRL) to look for a guitar you are choosing if you have a budget. And if you DO have one, please don't buy a Les Paul : those are damned expensive.
You can get a Japanese Les Paul copy at a great price and they sound amazing as well.
Old 2010-06-06, 11:00   Link #224
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I've been wondering something come to think of it. Given that a Gibson Les Paul is getting close to a hand-made guitar from reputable luthier, would one be better off waiting in line for a customized instrument comparing to getting a well known brand? I am basically in this situation with my instrument of choice, as I really want a well crafted piece of work for my own pleasure.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2010-06-06 at 12:09.
panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 12:20   Link #225
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

It probably will sound better though it can sound different from a Gibson by the feel and sound and the value might drop more drastically unlike the Gibson...

Damn, today I learned that I should stick to the bass, I want to explore other instruments
Old 2010-06-07, 12:43   Link #226
Manwards
Cunning Linguist

Send a message via MSN to Manwards
I'm a novice guitarist myself - been playing for a couple of months, and am now fumbling my way through a couple of simple songs - and I started with a Squier Stratocaster. It only has single-coil pickups, but save for the background hum I'm getting a really nice sound out of it, and it didn't cost me much at all. If, in a couple of years, I'm still going and still improving, I'll look into getting something more high-end.

In a cute aside (or a nauseating one, depending on your opinion), I named her Aki-chan, after Yui's voice actress.
Old 2010-06-08, 11:51   Link #227
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agito Akiyama View Post

I don't know where you live, but G&L (George Fullerton and Leo Fender) are really good guitars, and you should try them out. Unfortunately they are sometime really hard to find, i.e. there is only one shop in my city that stock them. I reckon they are easier to find in the US. The MFD pickups are just brilliant, imo, and best thing the cheaper korean version are build as good or even better than the mexican fenders. Funny thing is that the electronics are actually exported from the US to korea, in case of G&L guitars.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 10:54   Link #228
iHateApril3rd2009
Be Patient.

i read all 12 pages and couldnt resist, so i wanna ask what electric guitar and amplifier i should buy

prices are in sgd

i have 2 cheap guitars, 1 acoustic, 1 classical, the acoustic was $200 and classical was $135.
i have 2 months of experience and know the basics. i play any type of songs so i prefer a all-rounded electric guitar, although i prefer the fender stratocaster because of 'you-get-what-you-pay-for' attitude. budget is not a problem either, since i go through 6-8 hours of hard labour (school), i can save half of my allowance which is $15 everyday, so $7.50 5 days a week in a month totals up to $150 = 9-10 months of saving.

and mainly the reason of me getting an electric guitar is because i tried powerchords, hammer-ons,pull offs, palm muting on normal guitars, the sounds didnt come out as i expected, esp power chords.

so tl;dr
what brand and type of electric guitar and amplifier should i get?

ps. if its fender stratocaster, i read the MIJ fender stratocaster is better than any other fender stratocasters out there. if it is true, i would like to find out the differences.
Old 2010-06-13, 12:40   Link #229
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

I would go for MIJ Startocaster as you mentioned, keep in mind to go for the reissue or the special versions because from I've heard the standard model is not that good as the reissues.
Old 2010-06-14, 05:57   Link #230
iHateApril3rd2009
Be Patient.

so whats the difference between MIJ fender stratocaster and other fenders?
Old 2010-06-14, 06:52   Link #231
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

Quality control, sometimes woods, electronics... They are all different instruments with similar characteristics.
Old 2010-06-14, 07:00   Link #232
iHateApril3rd2009
Be Patient.

just wondering why azunyan uses mustang when most of the music they play is more of light(doh).

OT: i cant get the MIJ strat where i live and cant find any used either, should i get the MIA, if so whats the price?
Old 2010-06-14, 07:43   Link #233
OZ7UP
Music for life.
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateApril3rd2009 View Post
just wondering why azunyan uses mustang when most of the music they play is more of light(doh).

OT: i cant get the MIJ strat where i live and cant find any used either, should i get the MIA, if so whats the price?
Ummm... You really are new to this, aren't you?

American Fenders tend to cost anywhere from SGD$2000 (Highway series) to SGD$3800 (American series). Piece of advice: do start out small - if you buy a really expensive guitar from the get-go, and you get bored easily, it will be a huge waste of money.
OZ7UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 08:03   Link #234
iHateApril3rd2009
Be Patient.

holy carp

yeah i m new to this.

define bored easily ._.
Old 2010-06-14, 08:14   Link #235
AC730

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ7UP View Post
Ummm... You really are new to this, aren't you?

American Fenders tend to cost anywhere from SGD$2000 (Highway series) to SGD$3800 (American series). Piece of advice: do start out small - if you buy a really expensive guitar from the get-go, and you get bored easily, it will be a huge waste of money.
I totally agree with what is said right there. Do not invest in something you are not so sure in... Unless it is EXTREMELY clear from the get-go that you are interested in learning the guitar and plan on sticking to it. Instead of going with Fender Stratocaster, you should branch off to the Squier Stratocaster. Now also being new with guitars (Two Years and A Bit) I've started with my Squier Strat, and she works great.

I say this because from my experience, I tend to shift in and out of my interests which include playing my guitar, but ever since I watched this anime my guitar playing time has increased by a lot~ I really don't have a problem my instrument at the moment, unless you got some defective second-hand unit, which I don't suggest at all (Being Second-Hand). Don't plan on switching my instrument till I'm satisfied with my level of playing, or if for some reason she breaks down (Please DON'T!)

Bored can mean leaving the hobby of playing the guitar. This can derive from frustration from learning, unable to be bothered to play the instrument due to various reasons and so many more. It happens in really anything, especially when you dislike doing something and still happens if it is something you like. The reason for not buying such an expensive piece of instrument is the fact that we're not professionals and don't need that subtle difference of an instrument. I mean comparing something like Squier and Fender, they're both guitars right? They both can produce sound when there are strings and amps right? They both can produce the note A and so on... The quality is depending factor. The real factor is do you need something so recognized? You could go try both brands to see for differences but the rift between money and quality don't sway my opinion for getting something like Squier.

Now also having a biased view here, I highly dislike seeing people use instruments of high quality when they are nowhere the level of skill to even touch that instrument (In Performances). Sure it shows me that they have some high disposable income or poor judgment for buying that instrument because they think they know they can play better with a better brand. Yes there are brands people should avoid but there are also some people who think that the instrument displays their skill level. A skilled player should be able to play well with what they have. People will recognize talent and grant you better equipment if they ever see any.

You don't have to follow what I say, but consider it.

Last edited by AC730; 2010-06-14 at 08:29.
AC730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 08:15   Link #236
OZ7UP
Music for life.
*Author

Quote:
holy carp

yeah i m new to this.

define bored easily ._.
Ummm... Right, the American Series Fenders are actually around SGD$3250 (give or take) - I was going by memory. If it helps, do check out the following site:

Swee Lee Music (Singapore)

Mind you, though, it's not just enough to look up the website and then decide which guitar to go for - it's highly important to actually visit the store and try the guitars out for yourself. And if you do find one you like, be sure to ask for the best possible price with extra accessories (spare strings, tuner, guitar strap, gig bag). It helps to prepare a list of questions to ask, and a set of criteria (what kind of music you want to play, how often you intend to practice, whether you see yourself playing in a serious band or not etc) to help narrow down your choices.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I tend to find guitar shop assistants in Australia to be much friendlier and helpful than their counterparts in Singapore, but it really does depend on who happens to be in.

--EDIT--

What I meant about being bored easily - let's just say that you're trying your best to play something, but you can't seem to get it right, and you'd rather give up than soldier on... I tend to see that as one of the reasons why newbie guitarists give up on the guitar easily.
Old 2010-06-14, 08:28   Link #237
iHateApril3rd2009
Be Patient.

the only major things that i m going through now is school and studies.

and the occasional sigh while playing songs on my acoustic/classical.

i saw a squier standard strato for sgd$600

Link

but the thing is i can save up for 2 years to get the fender strat i want or save up for 3 months to get this. also, i tend to neglect my other guitar when i get a better one :l

edit-

i dont do that though, i always finish what i started.
Old 2010-06-14, 08:36   Link #238
AC730

Quote:
the only major things that i m going through now is school and studies.

and the occasional sigh while playing songs on my acoustic/classical.

i saw a squier standard strato for sgd$600

Link

but the thing is i can save up for 2 years to get the fender strat i want or save up for 3 months to get this. also, i tend to neglect my other guitar when i get a better one :l

edit-

i dont do that though, i always finish what i started.
I can only interpret the word occasional as not being so often.
Do you perform for your school or events? You should consider maybe some of that for how often you touch an instrument. With that mind, I suggest you save up for effects and other things rather than getting a quality grade instrument. That's my view on it. And don't be so sure on finishing what you start, there is always a first for things.

Quote:
Ummm... Right, the American Series Fenders are actually around SGD$3250 (give or take) - I was going by memory. If it helps, do check out the following site:

Swee Lee Music (Singapore)

Mind you, though, it's not just enough to look up the website and then decide which guitar to go for - it's highly important to actually visit the store and try the guitars out for yourself. And if you do find one you like, be sure to ask for the best possible price with extra accessories (spare strings, tuner, guitar strap, gig bag). It helps to prepare a list of questions to ask, and a set of criteria (what kind of music you want to play, how often you intend to practice, whether you see yourself playing in a serious band or not etc) to help narrow down your choices.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I tend to find guitar shop assistants in Australia to be much friendlier and helpful than their counterparts in Singapore, but it really does depend on who happens to be in.

--EDIT--

What I meant about being bored easily - let's just say that you're trying your best to play something, but you can't seem to get it right, and you'd rather give up than soldier on... I tend to see that as one of the reasons why newbie guitarists give up on the guitar easily.
Yeah, you're right about the service they provide in Australia.
The store I go to taught me how to change the strings and provided some extra parts to my guitar for free.
AC730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 08:37   Link #239
OZ7UP
Music for life.
*Author

@ iHateApril3rd2009

Mind you, while I can't fault you for wanting to get a Fender (or Squire) just to establish some sort of connection to K-On!, both Ibanez and Washburn make decent entry-level guitars. While I'm primarily a bassist, I do have a modified Washburn WV16 (original price= AUD$350) that I have in store if I happen to be auditioning to play rhythm guitar for a hard rock band. While I have replaced the stock pickups with EMGs, the guitar (pre-modifications) did provide plenty of bang for the buck.

As I said, look around, and try out different brands while keeping a clear budget in mind.

--EDIT--

@ AC730:

The luthier who's been setting up my guitar and bass used to work for Metallica ages ago, and he'd often share plenty of stories about what life was like touring with all the various big names in rock music.
Old 2010-06-14, 08:39   Link #240
iHateApril3rd2009
Be Patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC730 View Post
I can only interpret the word occasional as not being so often.
Do you perform for your school or events? You should consider maybe some of that for how often you touch an instrument. With that mind, I suggest you save up for effects and other things rather than getting a quality grade instrument. That's my view on it. And don't be so sure on finishing what you start, there is always a first for things.
i m in the guitar club in the school where i study in. we play classical songs but most of the members here are more of electric guitarists. also as i m typing this i m strumming my guitar :x

Quote:
@ iHateApril3rd2009

Mind you, while I can't fault you for wanting to get a Fender (or Squire) just to establish some sort of connection to K-On!, both Ibanez and Washburn make decent entry-level guitars. While I'm primarily a bassist, I do have a modified Washburn WV16 (original price= AUD$350) that I have in store if I happen to be auditioning to play rhythm guitar for a hard rock band. While I have replaced the stock pickups with EMGs, the guitar (pre-modifications) did provide plenty of bang for the buck.

As I said, look around, and try out different brands while keeping a clear budget in mind.
i did thought of trying out other brands but i consulted members of the guitar club and they replied to get the guitar you want instead of a low-mid range guitar. since you get better as time goes by, you might suddenly want a change in guitars.