AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-13, 14:55   Link #41
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well the doctor has been in the show since the start...he's a known.

The other five are unknowns to me. The guy would seem to fill in an added roll of mentor to some of the younger crew, though they had three or four of those already. Though in Yamato III they did try to expand the cast to include more of the crewmen and junior officers....they just didn't have time due to budget cuts and episode numbers being reduced (Yamato III was to have 52 episodes...it got cut while airing to 25). I mean they did introduce them and gave them some screen time early on, but they became background again as production required and were mostly absent or very background in Final Yamato and not mentioned at all in the most recent film.

The four women likely are there due to some fair complaints about Yuki being the only woman on the ship for the majority of the series. Though at the beginning of the show there were more women on the ship...just after the tenth or so episode...they just kind of vanished. I mean one episode there are men and women in the mess hall talking...and then an episode or two later...there is only Yuki, and it becomes a plot point even somplace.....one woman and a hundred or so guys? In Yamato III there would be more women in the crew, but "because the mission was dangerous" they were all shipped home save for Yuki who insisted on staying and had the senority (and had the heart of the captain) to get her way. There was only one other named woman in the cast that I recall, and that was the doctor's other nurse before they shipped her home (Yuki tendent to fill in as a nurse.) By the Sixth movie, Yuki would be the captain of a space battleship of her own.

In fact, I think most of the roles these four women play are roles Yuki effectively had at one point of another during the first season.

I wonder if the robot will still be in this?

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-13 at 15:06.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 17:03   Link #42
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Aside from the April 7th theater preview film, is there anything about the series? Like what TV station it is suppose to be on? When it comes out? Those sorts of things? It will be 26 episodes, and previewed as "7 films" before they go on TV.

If not, my guess it we will hear something after the 18th.
Old 2012-02-19, 18:15   Link #43
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The nurse has fetish fuel written all over her. Very high Thigh high boots....clumbsy...mini-skirt as oppose to all the other women's skin tight suits. Probably a host of other things as well.
Don't quite see how miniskirts are more fetish fuel than skin tight space suits

Though looking at the female designs...it's REALLY obvious that Leiji isn't involved in this project artistically speaking, and they're only taking minimal cues from his style. The "Stoic long haired blonde aryan super babe" vibe I'm getting from these characters is incredibly weak, hell, even Yuki herself is more of a sandy blonde...and honestly I'm rather happy with that.
Quote:
The four women likely are there due to some fair complaints about Yuki being the only woman on the ship for the majority of the series. Though at the beginning of the show there were more women on the ship...just after the tenth or so episode...they just kind of vanished. I mean one episode there are men and women in the mess hall talking...and then an episode or two later...there is only Yuki, and it becomes a plot point even somplace.....one woman and a hundred or so guys? In Yamato III there would be more women in the crew, but "because the mission was dangerous" they were all shipped home save for Yuki who insisted on staying and had the senority (and had the heart of the captain) to get her way. There was only one other named woman in the cast that I recall, and that was the doctor's other nurse before they shipped her home (Yuki tendent to fill in as a nurse.) By the Sixth movie, Yuki would be the captain of a space battleship of her own.

In fact, I think most of the roles these four women play are roles Yuki effectively had at one point of another during the first season.
Yeah, that's a bit of a feeling I'm getting to. At a cursory glance Yuki can kinda come off as a bit of a token female character, especially when there's emphasis on her being the only female crew mate. I think it's a bit more balanced to have the potential for more female interactions if you ARE going to have any females in the cast. This is just my personal opinion, but I tend to prefer just doing a completely sex segregated cast if the show isn't going to have the presence of the other gender be more than token. This is a horror example, but I think that's what made John Carpenters The Thing and the Descent so interesting, in that they examined an isolated group of men and women in a situation without any of the opposite gender directly present.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 19:55   Link #44
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Aside from the April 7th theater preview film, is there anything about the series? Like what TV station it is suppose to be on? When it comes out? Those sorts of things? It will be 26 episodes, and previewed as "7 films" before they go on TV.

If not, my guess it we will hear something after the 18th.
I'm not really sure if they will even have a significant broadcast at this point. It seems like they made a TV series, but they're trying to sell it as a movie+OVA series instead.

April 7th = Ep1-2 Theatrical
June 30th = Ep3-6 Theatrical

The subsequent theatrical events will all have 4 episodes each. The first DVD/Blu-ray volume containing Ep1-2 will be released on May 25th as well. There is no actual telecast planned for the series, and there isn't even an "on air" section on the official site. It doesn't seem like they feel it is important for this series.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 20:05   Link #45
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

So how many episodes can we expect from the series in total?
Old 2012-02-19, 20:14   Link #46
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
So how many episodes can we expect from the series in total?
26 episodes. It is confirmed as previously mentioned. They will have 7 theatrical screenings. 2 episodes in the first one, and 4 episodes each in the remaining 6.

Here are the complete credits for the series.

Original Work: Yoshinobu Nishizaki
Supervising Director/Series Composition: Yutaka Izubuchi
Character Design: Nobuteru Yuki
Chief Director: Akihiro Enomoto
Mechanic Director: Masanori Nishii
3DCG Director: Takashi Imanishi
Set Design: Takeshi Takakura, Makoto Kobayashi, Kimitoshi Yamane
Mechanic Design: Junichiro Tamamori, Yasushi Ishizu, Yutaka Izubuchi
Director of Photography: Takashi Aoki
Color Setting: Rumiko Suzuhiro
Art Director: Minoru Maeda
Sound Director: Tomohiro Yoshida
Sound Effects: Mutsuhiro Nishimura
Music: Akira Miyagawa
3DCG Production: Sunrise D.I.D. Studio
Animation Production: Xebec, AIC
Production: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Production Committee

And episode credits:

Episode 1
Script/Storyboard: Yutaka Izubuchi
Direction: Akihiro Enomoto
Character Animation Director: Akio Takami
Mecha Animation Directors: Akitoshi Maeda, Mitsuru Ishihara, Koji Ito

Episode 2
Script: Yutaka Izubuchi
Storyboard/Direction: Akihiro Enomoto
Animation Director: Akitoshi Maeda

The first volume of the DVD/Blu-ray comes with 2 storyboards for the opening sequence. An original draft storyboard by Hideaki Anno, and the finalized storyboard by Yutaka Izubuchi.

Sources:
http://dbeat.bandaivisual.co.jp/yama...l/yamato_2199/
http://product.bandaivisual.co.jp/we...m_no=BCXA-0485
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-20, 04:32   Link #47
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Don't quite see how miniskirts are more fetish fuel than skin tight space suits
If one recalls the horny robot...then one might remember how this might be a slight difference.

I would much rather this had a televised run...as it would mean people would see it.

A ten theater showing seems like pretty much nothing. And having yet another space opera being "OVA only" is starting to get annoying.
Old 2012-02-20, 07:45   Link #48
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
If one recalls the horny robot...then one might remember how this might be a slight difference.
That robot is obviously a simple minded cad Skin tight uniforms are superior in terms of fetish fuel.

Though looking at the outfit again...

...does the front/back cut of that miniskirt cut the way that I think it is?

Quote:
I would much rather this had a televised run...as it would mean people would see it.

A ten theater showing seems like pretty much nothing. And having yet another space opera being "OVA only" is starting to get annoying.
Why? It's better than them not being released at all. Maybe they're doing this to bypass TV censors with Makoto's constant pantyshot skirt?
Old 2012-02-20, 14:06   Link #49
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'd rather see it sooner than later.

I saw some images of the Gamilon ships. The destroyer is pretty much the same, but the battleship and tri-deck carrier have changed a bit, while still being recognizable.

Starsha (or prehaps her sister) still has the long blonde hair from what few images one can find. The cut of her outfit is a lot more revealing that it use to be, and she doesn't looks as much like Yuki as the previous model did.

They also updated the character sheet again today with the Black Tiger pilots, more of the engineering staff that I believe I recognize from episodes Their uniforms are much more like the older style shirts, probably so they can access their pockets easier. One guy in yellow that I think I recognize, but can't tell for sure....and then two guys in grey uniforms....a division I have never seen before.

Pilot Yamamoto no longer has the Harlock looks with one eye hidden by his bangs, but has long wavey hair. The Black Tiger uniform is more like the old style uniform mixed with the live action movie uniform...but they now have aviators jackets in additon to their uniform.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-20 at 14:37. Reason: Characters updated
Old 2012-02-20, 15:25   Link #50
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Starsha (or prehaps her sister) still has the long blonde hair from what few images one can find. The cut of her outfit is a lot more revealing that it use to be, and she doesn't looks as much like Yuki as the previous model did.
This can mainly be explained by the character designer for Yamato not being a blonde fetishist like Leiji is

Also, link to the character page for people having trouble finding it.

I'm actually really digging the bomber jackets they have the pilots wearing now.
Old 2012-02-20, 16:39   Link #51
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
There's a new trailer on Amazon.JP

Just two more months.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-20, 17:10   Link #52
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well that was interesting. I see familiar faces from later seasons of the show...Captain Gideon for example. Possibly the Captain for Be Forever, Yamato as well.

It looks well done...like the first series could have been if they had to budget of the second series.

And it is up on Youtube already.

(Both first and second PV in one)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-06 at 20:04. Reason: Youtube
Old 2012-02-20, 20:00   Link #53
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

VERY well done.

I'm pretty excited for this.
Old 2012-02-20, 21:06   Link #54
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Holy Balls that was awesome. I'm loving all the hyper detailed 2d technical details, and even am liking the CGI space battles. Everything I'm seeing is just looking so professionally done.

Holy fuck. The Gamilon are planet bombing us.

Also, it's much more intuitive why Space Force got it's ass kicked by the Gamilon Navy. Energy shields. That wasn't very noticeable in the original series.
Old 2012-02-20, 21:17   Link #55
Skane
Anime Snark

I'm just waiting for the scene where Okita yells, "WARP!" so that I can update my avatar.

Cheers.
Old 2012-02-20, 23:24   Link #56
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

This guy is going to die.

I don't even know who he is, but I know he's going to die. Out of all the male characters, he's the ONLY one that really looks like a generic, modern male character. He's also the most androgynous looking, bent legs, with a head more rounded than even the other younger male characters, huge soulful eyes and the least well defined chin of the males. Along with his hanging hair hanging down completely, as if pulled down by gravity.

To make matters worse, he's also got a very generic drab grey outfit that doesn't seem to suggest it's tied with any function critical enough to warrant a bright outfit so you could better recognize a main character in it.

This guy exists for one purpose. To die in a sympathetic/tragic manner. It's only a matter of when.

Edit: Shima Daisuke has also been pretty radically changed.

Original derpy manly 30ish looking(despite being 20) space hero

Swarthy boy space cadet hero.
Old 2012-02-20, 23:42   Link #57
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I have no idea who that kid is, but his boss looks like a snake in the grass. (eyes nearly always closed or open only slightly).

Never seen a grey uniform, so no clue (without a translation anyway) to what department they are with.

I did just realize (though I probably guess earlier and ignored it) that Ensign Akira Yamamoto (played by Rie Tanaka)...the female ship's purser with the short grey hair....is an existing charcter.
A male existing character (in 1974 and 1978)...only really in one episode of the first season, but used more in the second season...as one of the lead fighter pilots. A pilot in the Star Blazers dub known as Jefferson Davis Hardy. The guy with the heavy southern accent and the Harlock hair.

Interesting choice.

(Hurry...there are only 47 days left...)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-20 at 23:56.
Old 2012-02-20, 23:53   Link #58
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I have no idea who that kid is, but his boss looks like a snake in the grass. (eyes nearly always closed or open only slightly).

Never seen a grey uniform, so no clue (without a translation anyway) to what department they are with.
Talked to my sister about it. She's convinced he's gonna be one of the deserters who ditch the Yamato and kidnap Yuki (though it seems this time around they have more options) to do an Adam and Eve thing. Pretty boy refuses to go along, then is tragically gunned down.

Course he might not even last that long. But whatever happens...this dude just isn't surviving.
Quote:
I did just realize (though I probably guess earlier and ignored it) that Ensign Akira Yamamoto (played by Rie Tanaka)...the female ship's purser with the short grey hair....is an existing charcter.
A male existing character (in 1974 and 1978)...only really in one episode of the first season, but used more in the second season...as one of the lead fighter pilots. A pilot in the Star Blazers dub known as Jefferson Davis Hardy. The guy with the heavy southern accent and the Harlock hair.

Interesting choice.
That's actually pretty clever. They're not really replacing the character since he wasn't very present in the first season...but they're not totally creating a new one since there's SOME basis for it in the original show.
Old 2012-02-21, 00:24   Link #59
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yeah, I spotted the main deserter in the crew lineup. I think I spotted the later era Chief Engineer as well (he was suppose to be on the ship, but they didn't introduce him until "New Voyages"). Considering one of the chief people involved with this is I think supposes to be THE Yamato fanboy in Japan...the guy that started their largest fanclub I guess back in the 70s....I think he knows what he's going...at least on details (fanboys can catch details, but some can't write themselves out of a paperbag).

But on the other hand...this is Yamato. People will die. Even in the trailer you see people dying. It all is a matter of who and when. (Because, like Star Trek...in one version or another...I think everyone has died on that ship. Just depends on the timeline.)

Having characters that appeared later in the series show up early on I think is a nice touch. It fills in some odd plotholes...like why was this guy on the ship, but we never saw him until the third film...when we saw "everyone" that was on the ship in the previous film. Or where was the Captain of the Battleship Andromeda during the Gamilon War...well, he's in the trailer a few times...so that question will be answered.

With the realization on Yamamoto, that finishes covering all ther various tasks Yuki has been put into in various films and episodes. Radar Operations (her real job, and that of the 17 year old that does third shift), Psychology...she was about the only one that could talk to just about anybody and get them to listen (covered I suppse by the older blue haired woman), Nurse (covered by the new Miss Fanservice, doing double duty because that was also a Yuki role), and Fighter Pilot...(from the Live Action Movie). That means Yuki gets to keep her roll in the likely love triangle and radar operation. Though I don't know what else they might have her do now. I'd guess filling in as needed, as if this series keeps in line with the much, much, much later sixth film (that came out in 2009), she will be a battleship's Captain someday.

One plotline I and some others are interesting in seeing...the plotline for Kodai's brother. The one that was dropped during the original run due to budget issues. While the start of his story has been in every version of this tale, his endings vary. The only hint I have that they might try to do the original version (or a variant of it), is that they made a third Earth ship type for the Battle of Pluto. A ship type that looks a lot like the one used in the manga that followed that plotline. That isn't Kodai's brother's ship thats he uses at that battle, but the look is close to the later seen ship.
Old 2012-02-21, 00:32   Link #60
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Really? They had Yuki doing THAT many random jobs? Jeez, no wonder they felt they could go and make up entirely new female characters to take up those positions. (though glasses girl seems to also being some kind of intelligience annalist from what I've heard other people taking about it).

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato