Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise

Notices

Old 2013-08-08, 23:34   Link #1081
MitchelJohn
SPiCa~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaruga1 View Post
Big haul from last month that just arrived. Nothing new to you guys really, just playing catch-up here.

Apologize in advance for crappy phone pic quality.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

WUT D:

I was still looking for the reference book and the vol 1 of the manga D:
MitchelJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 23:35   Link #1082
gbatemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
Nice, where did you get that Total Eclipse Reference book from? It fell under my radar.
It's was a old extra thing that came with extra..i think w/ a dengeki issue.
gbatemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 17:31   Link #1083
Ikaruga1
Eishi

Haha, all the stuff came from YJA, so to answer your question grevierr it was basically a lucky catch I stumbled upon. Came with the Tech Gian issue it was a part of as well. Was an interesting read.
Ikaruga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 08:51   Link #1084
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

I see. well let me know if there's anything new in the Ref book. Dengeki...a friend might have one then...

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 09:16   Link #1085
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Man, it's extremly difficult to get Muv-luv material in Vietnam! Online stores are rare and expensive. Direct ways are almost impossible!
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 09:17   Link #1086
issuzark
Resident yoyoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Man, it's extremly difficult to get Muv-luv material in Vietnam! Online stores are rare and expensive. Direct ways are almost impossible!
YJA and Mandarake all the way. Oh. Rakuten too.

柚香マイワイフ!<3
issuzark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 16:31   Link #1087
calubin_175

Were the previous Chronicles bundled with a design settings book? The website is saying that the one being bundled with the first press release of Chronicles 04 is similar to the format of the Lunatic Dawn series. I am not sure whether this would mean no Lunatic Dawn for this year.

On 4chan I saw a color page describing IRG Takeru and bro Makabe, I am not sure whether it is a preview of the book. Either way, eventually all the mecha stuff will be compiled into some form of Integral Works and the character content into the Memorial Artbook series. Still no TE VN Memorial Artbook though, maybe they'll need to polish some of the artwork.

EDIT: Sorry it was no preview, just some doujin book on the pilot suits. I think I would expect the Lunatic Dawnish book to be in black and white, though there will obviously be new information unlike the TE books released around the release of the VN.

Said pic http://images.4chan.org/m/src/1375866099281.jpg

Last edited by calubin_175; 2013-08-10 at 16:58.
calubin_175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 17:41   Link #1088
Freedomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by calubin_175 View Post
Were the previous Chronicles bundled with a design settings book?
Yes, Chronicles 03.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Freedomer; 2013-08-11 at 03:57.
Freedomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 22:12   Link #1089
issuzark
Resident yoyoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomer View Post
Yes, Chronicles 03.

I need to get that one. Soon.

柚香マイワイフ!<3
Old 2013-08-10, 22:21   Link #1090
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by calubin_175 View Post
EDIT: Sorry it was no preview, just some doujin book on the pilot suits. I think I would expect the Lunatic Dawnish book to be in black and white, though there will obviously be new information unlike the TE books released around the release of the VN.

Said pic http://images.4chan.org/m/src/1375866099281.jpg
Doujin book. Looks like 100p Intergral Works sized. Colored.

Sometimes you just feel hope from the fact that people would come up with such materials for this series that isn't generic Gundam shit.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
Old 2013-08-10, 22:25   Link #1091
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

@grevierr: Well, by an extend, Muv-Luv is mix of Code Geass, Gundam and Evangelion! (And maybe a dash of Ideon or Macross.)
Old 2013-08-10, 22:53   Link #1092
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
@grevierr: Well, by an extend, Muv-Luv is mix of Code Geass, Gundam and Evangelion! (And maybe a dash of Ideon or Macross.)
Considering that those don't even have bug wars, that comparison is flawed. Macross Frontier doesn't count as bug wars btw, just bug planes. Muv luv Alt is unique in the complexity of its world setting as well, compared to those series with only two or three sides to consider.

Old 2013-08-10, 23:00   Link #1093
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

That is why I quote: "to an extend", duh! But the complex of Muv-Luv still has holes in it, you know?
Old 2013-08-10, 23:33   Link #1094
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Sure, to the 'extend' that they are anime, mecha and sci-fiction. Otherwise the background and direction of the plots have very little in common. Even within those series you listed, they share very little common points. Unless a series has rather similar backgrounds or plot mechanics, its usually foolish to try and compare series just because they belong to the same genre.

If anything, I would compare MLA to Starship Troopers, Aliens, Back to the Future and War World 2 films, for the way the selling points of those stories were heavily borrowed from.

And plot holes are everywhere, there are no history text without holes in real life. The point is Kouki and gang actually bother to generate that amount of background for the series, which isn't something that is main stream, unlike Eva and Gundam. This is what attracts the fans.

Old 2013-08-11, 03:53   Link #1095
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

@grevierr: Sometime, Muv-Luv kind of reminds me Gundam UC: The creator making up a giant setting at first. And when their creations became famous, they tried to make sequels or spin-off materials using un-exploited part of the background, but in the end create even more details that Fanfictioner uses. (And not to mention a series of follow-up models.)
Old 2013-08-11, 04:13   Link #1096
calubin_175

Gundam certainly did do it, but became so prolific that it became inconsistent and hardly made any sense, such as a billion general purpose type GMs and Zakus set in the One Year War since they were designed by several designers whom at first treated their designs as a visual rendition rather than a separate character. The limitation of Gundam lies in the fact that it began as a kiddy show with colorful robots, and no matter how you try to make it more realistic, it still won't.

Muv-Luv has a tight team of staff and a limited range of TSFs, so consistency will ensure. Instead of dishing out too many productions for profit making, they'll make enough to satisfy the fans I suppose.

The only new TSF this year so far is the Shiranui 2nd Phase 3. Last year's Lunatic Dawn visually introduced quite a few as well.

To put it simply, Muv-Luv takes the best of all Sci-Fi works. Kouki shares my sentiment of liking mass production types(the under dogs). I have long waited for a mecha series in which weapons a standardised and the protagonist does not get special treatment in that regard.
Old 2013-08-11, 04:30   Link #1097
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

@calubin: So do I! But isn't Kotobuya planning to release a Typhoon Custom at the end of this year?
Also, Muv-Luv is kind of a Tom Clancy-style history novel crossed with Sci-fi. A wonderful saga of Extreme Emotions and Events indeed! But Gundam doesn't really focused on these aspect. Its true purpose? Human is still human - cruel, cold, greedy... But also carries the last seed of hope, left alone in Pandora's Box! (Well, Muv-Luv does have this too, but Gundam makes Human as its own Destroyer.) Also, because of the tight and heavy setting of Muv-Luv, is kind of hard to write Original Fanfic...
Old 2013-08-11, 04:47   Link #1098
calubin_175

I was referring to introducing new TSF into the universe to the fans. The black Typhoon is an existing design, but its combination with the British Fort Slayer is new. The point is we don't need too many mech designs as long as they serve their purpose. The most important thing is implementing those designs in the plot. If something is good, then it is less likely to have an expiry date. Even in Gundam, I am fond of the fact of the Zeon Remnants operating obsolete models. The funny thing is, Gundam Age was the first in the Gundam franchise to explicitly upgrade older models without changing its appearance, even though its out of universe rationale was laziness.
Old 2013-08-11, 05:00   Link #1099
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, nothing is perfect!
Also, where could I found a Mig-23 (or 27) model in Vietnam? That online-bought F-16 really costs a fortune out of me!
Old 2013-08-11, 06:22   Link #1100
issuzark
Resident yoyoer

Quote:
Well, nothing is perfect!
Also, where could I found a Mig-23 (or 27) model in Vietnam? That online-bought F-16 really costs a fortune out of me!
How much is your budget man?
Mig-23 or 27 are A3's. And they're NOT CHEAP.

柚香マイワイフ!<3