AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-02-13, 20:56   Link #101
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You sure are fast Sackett. I'll answer some of what I think is just misunderstanding and leave the rest as is.

I want to avoid any bouncing back and forth as much as possible since in the end we'll still end up with only our two opinions, nothing more. Instead I would like to hear others opinions and views as well and use that as a way to refine everything.

All bellow is neutral.
Quote:
Harem is a sub-genre of Romance and Comedy. Mahou Shoujo is a popular anime genre, but it's also a subgenre of both Fantasy and Action/Adventure, so it's already covered. Similarly Mecha is a subgenre covered by Sci-Fi.
How can it be a subgenre of two categories? Another thing I don't understand: Harem/Echii and Mahou Shojo are more represented then Sci-fi and, yet they don't get a genre; modern variants of the theme also do not necessarily fit their so called parent genre. I feel we could just make everything more explicit.
Proposal: Have (genre related) categories as mutually exclusive as possible. (this should also result in less categories)

This means that if Tragedy/Epic/Drama just overlap or can't get enough to represent them they will be simply combined regardless of their "unique factor". In that idea, also:

Proposal: Dump "official naming" in favor of clear wording that is not so easily swayed by interpretation, ie. "Fantasy" => "Magic / Supernatural"
Quote:
Once every 5 years?
As in series like Kino, Mushi, and so on; where the setting has focus. The category feels unrepresented.

Quote:
Slice of Life tends to incorporate elements of comedy, romance, tragedy,and drama. It's more of a broad overlapping genre or story telling style. I tend to think that if we have Comedy, Tragedy, and Epic, that Slice of Life would cover whatever other type of Drama might be out there. Slice of Life is also a prominent type of anime that Anime Suki posters are interested in, and yet can't be clearly defined as a subgenre of one of the other genre. I think it makes sense to have it's own category.
I don't mean to say Slice of Life == Drama. What I mean is slice of life is to drama, what mecha is to sci-fi, harem to romance, mahou shoujo to fantasy. If we're going to have a standard, I'd rather it apply equally to all.

Quote:
And it's actually information that most people want to know before they watch a show.
Well, I don't. Tragedy in my book is not necessarily all crying, it can actually start fairly warm hearted. It may be the intention of the writers, you are definitely revealing the secret early. I don't really care for spoilers (not in the bounds of our policy here anyway), but revealing everything will inevitably go to hell is one of those little taboos I still stick to. You just don't do that, people who want to know, just know (search, etc); the rest of us are happy with our ignorance.

Quote:
For example- Neon Genesis Evangelion was an epic. So was Fullmetal Alchemist- (really, the end of the world as we know it, great moral temptations,combined with an emotional hero's journey including inter-generational conflict and confrontations between father and son? Not an epic?) Katanagatari is an epic. Inuyasha is an epic. Eden of the East is an epic (even if I didn't care for it). That's four anime that wrapped up their epic stories just this year- and those are only the ones I know about.
This is just what I feared. Please replace Epic with a clearer definition for a category. And no "its too complicated to explain with words" is not a valid answer. The way I know what a Epic is would drop Evangelion and Inuyasha just from ambiguity alone. We can't force people to vote correctly either; who are we to say what is and what isn't for the person, right. I fear unless changed, this category will simply overlap with "your favorite anime" (which we already have other categories for).

Quote:
I don't really care how the ballot is organized as long as the script can handle it. I just don't like the way you wanted to combine several categories and use those combinations to establish winners in other categories instead of having a vote. The sum of the parts is not always the same as the whole. Plus I don't get why you keep identifying Fantasy as a setting instead of a genre
That was just a sidenote; my main suggestion was simply to have categories like a tree, main parts of stories then just go down (things like that). Also you misunderstand, my suggestion was only to use that in the nomination phase to cut down on categories if they can be deduced.
Old 2011-02-13, 21:03   Link #102
Autumn Demon
~

Suggestions for next year.

Key:
{C} = change wording
{X} = remove
{U} = unchanged
{N} = new

-{C} Action/Fighting -> Action
How many fighting series are not action? Get rid of the word "fighting"; otherwise the Action category is biased towards fighting series more than it should be.

-{C} Adventure/Fantasy -> Fantasy
Lots of action anime are adventure, and lots of fantasy anime are adventure, too (I'd say more). Just get rid of the word "Adventure" to reduce overlap.

-{U} Science Fiction

-{U} Mystery/Horror

-{U} Comedy

-{U} Romance

-{X} Drama
Drama is such a meaningless, catch-all genre. Get rid of the category.

-{N} School Life
The huge school life genre is seriously under-represented in this contest.

-{U} Slice of Life
(I still don't know what the slice-of-life genre is supposed to be, but whatever.)

-{U} Fanservice

-{U} Sports/Game

-{X} Storyline
Now that we have Overall TV Series, Storyline is redundant.

-{U} Visual/Animation

-{U} Soundtrack

-{N} OP

-{N} ED

These two categories would be the funnest: it would be ridiculously easy for every voter to actually view all four choices during the general voting stage.

-{C} Overall Television Series -> Television Series
The word "Overall" is unnecessary here. We don't have "Overall Movie" or "Overall OVA".

-{U} Movie

-{U} OVA

-{U} Male Character

-{U} Female Character

-{U} Villain

-{U} Worst Character

About Sackett's suggestions, they expand categories too much. Suspense, Tragedy, Epics, and Hobbies are too niche to be included. And the Show Elements categories would complicate the contest.

Male and Female Supporting Role categories might be good.

I also like the idea of a Character Design category, but why would you have it for a specific character? The category would just be a Hottest Character competition or popularity contest like Saimoe. And a lot of people would nominate three characters from a single series. Character design is more of a trait of a series than a specific character.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 23:59   Link #103
ruurguy

-{A} Action - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

-{B} Adventure/Fantasy - Katanagatari

-{C} Science Fiction - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

-{D} Mystery/Horror - Shiki

-{E} Comedy - n/a

-{F} Romance - Cross Game

-{G} Drama - House of Five Leaves

-{H} Slice of Life - Cross Game

-{I} Fanservice - Highschool of the Dead

-{J} Sports/Game - Cross Game

-{K} Storyline - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

-{L} Visual/Animation - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

-{M} Soundtrack - Angel Beats!

-{N} Overall Television Series - Cross Game

-{O} Movie - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

-{P} OVA - Darker than Black: Gaiden

-{Q} Male Character - Kitamura Kou (Cross Game)

-{R} Female Character - Yuki Nagato (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya)

-{S} Villain - Orihara Izaya (Durarara!!)

-{T} Worst Character - Tony Stark (Iron Man)
ruurguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-14, 02:15   Link #104
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

The deadline has passed and the voting period has now closed (actually it closed 2 hours ago but I fell asleep =P. It's okay Ruruguy, you made it just in time anyway)

For those that are gonna help me count the votes, I want to just clarify a few things.

First of all, let’s definitely NOT post the results on this thread for everyone to see. I want the results to be a surprise. Instead just update on what categories you’ve finished counting up. The only real reason we would need to put them up anyway is for second counts and we don’t need that anymore, since the counting ought to be more straightforward this time (If you really want a second count then you can just PM). And when you all PM me the results so I can announce them, please don't PM for each category, otherwise my inbox will be spammed with 16 different messages.

Secondly, I hope you don’t mind if I just delegate the roles so that no one ends up counting a category that’s already been done:
Me: {A} to {D}
Felix: {E} to {H}
Zeroryoko1974: {I} to {L}
Blue-kun: {M} to {P}
Sackett: {Q} to {T}
(If you think that’s too much, or you don’t want to count the votes this time then just say so)

Thirdly, I’m pleased to say we’ve had someone volunteer to make Winner Banners! Yay!
Once you finished counting up, send your results to Fahd, and he’ll make the banners.

And finally, if it’s not too much to ask, I was wondering if whilst counting the votes you could also count how many abstained votes there are for each category. I have sneaking suspicion that there will be significantly more abstained votes for the Worst character category than for the others. It might make for some interesting and useful statistics.

[edit]

I've just done {A} and {B}

Last edited by Haak; 2011-02-14 at 04:32.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-14, 08:08   Link #105
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
I will work on I to L sometime today, probably after work
Old 2011-02-14, 08:25   Link #106
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

I'm working on it right now, both {M}, {N} and {O} are done, but I'm not sending {N} over just yet because I want to recheck, it was a close call. {M} had a clear winner, so I'll PM.

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-02-14 at 08:56. Reason: {O} done.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-14, 08:50   Link #107
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@Haak, roger that. I'll do them after some business is over a little bit later.
Old 2011-02-14, 10:21   Link #108
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I just got up this morning, and I am off to work now. I can spare sometime this evening, but if you don't want to wait I won't be offended if others count my sections.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-14, 10:51   Link #109
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Done {C} and {D}.

Too tired to do anymore.
Old 2011-02-14, 13:14   Link #110
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Finished I, it was pretty much a 2 horse race. Not a big surprise on the top two
Old 2011-02-14, 13:15   Link #111
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Just out of curiosity, how many of you counted kargarus's votes? It's just come to my attention that he's not eligable to vote because he didn't register before December 2010.
Old 2011-02-14, 13:17   Link #112
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

I didn't, and was actually talking to felix over PM over that. Even if I did, however, it would not have affected any of the results so far, but yeah, you never know whether or not it will mess up any of the other categories! haha.

Actually, back when he first posted I reported it and asked for deletion to avoid people counting it, but no one really ended up doing, so I guess it's up to everyone counting to be on the lookout for his post and just skip past it!
Old 2011-02-14, 13:28   Link #113
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Thanks for counting the votes guys . I'll keep a list of what banners I've finished (and what still needs to be done), just so you guys know I'm working on it

#:Category name:Status:
A.Action/FightingDone.
B.Adventure/FantasyDone.
C.Science FictionStill to do.
D.Mystery/HorrorStill to do.
E.ComedyDone.
F.RomanceStill to do.
G.DramaStill to do.
H.Slice of LifeStill to do.
I.FanserviceStill to do.
J.Sports/GamePossibly done, depending on the results.
K.StorylineStill to do.
L.Visual/AnimationStill to do.
M.SoundtrackStill to do.
N.Overall Television SeriesStill to do.
O.MovieStill to do.
P.OVADone.
Q.Male CharacterStill to do.
R.Female CharacterStill to do.
S.VillainStill to do.
T.Worst CharacterStill to do.

I'll edit this post to keep it up to date. Hopefully I should get 4-5 done each day .

Last edited by Fahd; 2011-02-14 at 21:23.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-14, 13:39   Link #114
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
I didn't, and was actually talking to felix over PM over that.
When I send Carbon Copies do you see the pm as only sent to you? (so far I've sent the pms to everyone Blue)
Old 2011-02-14, 13:43   Link #115
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
When I send Carbon Copies do you see the pm as only sent to you? (so far I've sent the pms to everyone Blue)
Silly me, no. It actually shows the other ones as well, haha. Guess I wasn't paying attention!
Old 2011-02-14, 15:03   Link #116
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

N and Q are the ones I'm really hanging on - those should be interesting.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-14, 15:55   Link #117
Zeroryoko1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many of you counted kargarus's votes? It's just come to my attention that he's not eligable to vote because he didn't register before December 2010.
I counted him for I, haven't gotten to him on any of the others. Doesn't effect the outcome of I, but I will adjust my list before I send it in to Felix
Old 2011-02-14, 18:02   Link #118
Zeroryoko1974

I J K L are done. J K and L did not include the invalid entry, but I forgot to remove the entry from I. J and L were blowouts, K was a 2 vote margin between first and 2nd.
Old 2011-02-14, 19:09   Link #119
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroryoko1974 View Post
I J K L are done. J K and L did not include the invalid entry, but I forgot to remove the entry from I. J and L were blowouts, K was a 2 vote margin between first and 2nd.
No teasers!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-14, 21:01   Link #120
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Working on Q to T now...

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, choice awards