AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-15, 01:47   Link #21
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

When Alto is with Ranka, it's always about Ranka. Their conversations are mostly about what she wants, her problems, etc. The time she shuts up about herself, it's already late in the series and whatever development (no matter how little) is lost as she goes bye-bye to Vajraland.
With Sheryl, they can really talk as early as episode 6. And the woman actually asks what he likes.
Old 2009-01-15, 01:49   Link #22
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
When Alto is with Ranka, it's always about Ranka. Their conversations are mostly about what she wants, her problems, etc. The time she shuts up about herself, it's already late in the series and whatever development (no matter how little) is lost as she goes bye-bye to Vajraland.
With Sheryl, they can really talk as early as episode 6. And the woman actually asks what he likes.
Exactly. I have to agree fully with this.
Not to mention, that with Sheryl there are extra ++ chemistry points since the beginning.
Old 2009-01-15, 02:02   Link #23
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Alto and Sheryl have believable chemistry, their chemistry in terms of physical appearances is just a slice of the cake. Hell, no wonder they have an article about the love between them.
Old 2009-01-15, 02:09   Link #24
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Alto and Sheryl have believable chemistry, their chemistry in terms of physical appearances is just a slice of the cake. Hell, no wonder they have an article about the love between them.
What? I missed something lately? Care to link?
Old 2009-01-15, 02:09   Link #25
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor
And that "pivotal moment" in 22, unfortunely Sheryl's sickness does contribute a bit there...Of course, "sickness plot" is nothing new in other romance series, male lead sometimes pick the one who has sickness and sometimes he realizes he loves the other one. But in my opinion, the LT hasn't handled well because in 22, we don't know how big the sickness from Sheryl has influenced Alto's judgement (and we never know that even when the series finishes), then we see Alto's speech in 23 regarding Ranka, in ep 24 Sheryl says stop playing the lover game...
Sure Sheryl played the sickness card but Ranka played the damsel in distress card multiple times. You can't act like the story helped out one and not the other.

Quote:
Alto was trying to say something, but we never know what he was trying to say, and in ep 25, Alto says you two are both my wing....
I find it funny you ignore Alto telling Sheryl that she was his wing in episode 24 but bring it up for both of them, also the way Alto said it was pretty considerate of him. It's like me being with my two best friends and going to one "You're my bes.." *think of the other good mate of mine next to him* "You're both my best mates".

Slick Alto is slick.

Oh and as for what Alto was going to say to Sheryl, well it's the same thing Jin from Kannagi was going to tell Nagi before Tsugumi walked in on them, it's the same thing that Shinchiro from True Tears was going to say while chasing Hiromi before he fell off his bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
I think she did, and more than Sheryl At least, if one can consider that thinking about the Vajras is a big deal.
It's a pity that Ranka only thought of the Varja after Alto crushed her heart by "being" with Sheryl. The Varja importance for Ranka pretty much revolved around her romantic chances. Chances with Alto were good than who cares, Alto loves Sheryl? Time to go find the Varja!

Spoiler for jest commerntary on ranka from ep 14-25:

Ranka's character was handled absolutely horribly from episode 14 to the end, I haven't seen anybody drop the ball with a character as bad as Kawamori and co did. I expected Ranka's character to go from being likable to being full of faults before her redemption, same as I expected Sheryl's character to go from being a bitch to being likable. Pity that Ranka's development was handled nowhere near as good as Sheryls was.

I actually liked Ranka a lot in the beginning, I had her nyan-nyan line in my sig for months linked to a youtube video of it. I defended her against idiots on ANN who mindlessly bash moe, I liked the steps she took in various episodes, like 10 and 12 though it clashed with my shipping. But sadly after every step she took forward they would just take it back later, she continuously used Alto as a crutch throughout the series, and 15-25 was just flat out horrible, character and relationship wise. If Sheryl had ended up with Alto in 25 I couldn't have done a better job of sabotaging Ranka's character myself... lol.

Quote:
And, while it's true that Sheryl gave up on Alto for his sake, people tend to forget that she wasn't the first one on doing that...
Who was the first one than? I seriously hope you're not referring to Ranka and episode 18 was the start of Sheryl giving up Alto for his sake which predates Ranka by quite a bit if she's who you're referring to.
Old 2009-01-15, 02:23   Link #26
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post
What? I missed something lately? Care to link?
Here you go.
Old 2009-01-15, 02:29   Link #27
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Oh, i was not a part of the comm when that one came out, thanks a lot. {if CG fans declare Kalulu canon with similar materials then what does THIS one make Sheryl/Alto? |D}

Also, interesting. I was not aware that Sheyl might be older than 17yrs old, not that it mattes but well, new-something is new.
Old 2009-01-15, 02:43   Link #28
Daril Gukku

Alto/sky. Obvs canon ending.

And then Sheryl and Ranka ended up together after getting over their mutual heartbreak and adopted and raised a legion of badass singing fighter pilots.
Old 2009-01-15, 03:06   Link #29
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

...And Alto will become a birdhuman. XDD
Old 2009-01-15, 07:00   Link #30
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
You're always so wrong, Swampeh!!!
Yeah, he always is! xD

As far as symbolism goes, well, I'd have to go with Sheryl's earring, as watching the parallels between Episode 8 and Episode 24/25 just sends shivers up my spine. I just loved how Sheryl had entrusted her most prized possession to Alto in the beginning, only for him to lose it - and when she entrusted it again to him without a second thought, and the implications that came with it, just... wow!
Old 2009-01-15, 08:16   Link #31
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
And, while it's true that Sheryl gave up on Alto for his sake, people tend to forget that she wasn't the first one on doing that...
Wrong. Sheryl gave up on Alto long ago, and wanting to stay out of everything between Ranka and Alto. She refused to attend Ranka's concert, and by pretending that she did not want to sing anymore because she wanted to simply let Alto go.

But hey, Alto came back, so its pretty significant how that decision came about.

Quote:
That looked familiar... O_o

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-01-15, 08:28   Link #32
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

- Tak
Finding the original one you posted was a beech, so I settled for the one in the comm.
Old 2009-01-15, 08:29   Link #33
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:

- Tak
Because after pestering you, I managed to get you to translate some of the pages while I'm being a lazy beech who only scanned the images~

I'm still keeping my stand to that both Sheryl and Ranka's relationship to Alto are developed rather differently-in which one is what you can call pure, innocent, puppy love while the other can be called developed, adultlike, full of teasing love.

People can ship any of the ships, but by all means, I am more into liking to Alto and Sheryl relationship, which in my opinion, is a better form of love since it is developed from the start to the end rather beautifully.

Old 2009-01-15, 08:39   Link #34
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
Because after pestering you, I managed to get you to translate some of the pages while I'm being a lazy beech who only scanned the images~
Oh... thats right... I forgot about you completely.

YOU TRICKED ME INTO DOING THAT!!!

Now I remember.

One day, ONE DAY!!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-01-15, 08:43   Link #35
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Quote:
Oh... thats right... I forgot about you completely.

YOU TRICKED ME INTO DOING THAT!!!

Now I remember.

One day, ONE DAY!!

- Tak
Oh, shush, be quiet! At least I haven't told you to translate 90% of one of my favourite BL games dialogues (Yes, that includes the R-18 parts XD) and all Harukanaru Series endings, dear~

(And least to say, you are rather estatic with the official info~ Although I didn't scan Ranka's... Yet... Wait, maybe never? )

Old 2009-01-15, 08:47   Link #36
Tak

I can imagine you being overjoyed of having me between your fingertips.

Natsu: I can manipulate Tak, muwhahahahahaha!!

Does it make you feel good? Does it!?

- Tak

Old 2009-01-15, 09:03   Link #37
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Quote:
I can imagine you being overjoyed of having me between your fingertips.

Natsu: I can manipulate Tak, muwhahahahahaha!!

Does it make you feel good? Does it!?

- Tak
You know me too well, Takky~ And of course, there is matter of l_w and some other materials... XD

Old 2009-01-15, 09:04   Link #38
zalem

I vaguely remember that article. Wasn't there a similar page on Ranka? I'm curious about what it says about her. Does talk about her and Alto?

Though I never take much stock in what magazines say usually.
Old 2009-01-15, 09:45   Link #39
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
I vaguely remember that article. Wasn't there a similar page on Ranka? I'm curious about what it says about her. Does talk about her and Alto?

Though I never take much stock in what magazines say usually.
There is, but as of now (and to my own knowledge), no one has ever scanned Ranka's page at all No. #2 does talk about her relationship with Alto (As well as Klan's relationship with Michael and to a lesser extent, NanasexLuca... I said lesser extent because they seems to be a butt-monkey pairing in the series ).

The magazine's name is "Official File". I would say that there is nothing new on that book-only some confirmation about thingies and some episode summary (Digest size lol).

Old 2009-01-15, 13:38   Link #40
Father Hentai

And that is the sad thing. Only viewing one side of the medaillon while others are kept hidden. I may understand that the magazine is not posted completely here for sales reasons and copyright. But on the other side at least some infos could have leaked through about all the characters and their relationship to have a bit more and facts to discuss instead of making bla bla bla about Person X is great while person Y has failed and person Z did not improve and so on. :/