AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 154 42.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 113 31.39%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 53 14.72%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 6.39%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 1.94%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.28%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.28%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.28%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 1.94%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-03, 14:25   Link #21
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Animation Quality: 8 . Good quality even though Ryuji had such design .(and some people too )
Voice Actors: 9 . Well , i don't really care about the voice , just if it can pass .
Script: 9 . Good story , i like it .
Soundtrack: 9 . The sound was good .
Enjoyment: 9 . It was pleasant to watch
Emotional Involvement: 8 . It was a good emo .

Total = 9/10 .
Old 2009-04-03, 15:44   Link #22
Tatakae

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroForever View Post
i don't remember the eps off hand but the taiga vs school president fight and a few other scenes i remember definitely looked very poorly drawn/animated to me. maybe that was intentional but personally i didn't think so and if it was it didn't draw me.
Oh, that kind of animation and look was certainly, no, wait, 120% intentional. It's a perfect example of an idiosyncratic animation scene where you're supposed to recognize the effort of one single talented animator drawing a scene with key drawings only (without the usual inbetweens). Too bad many people only look for "pretty" (generic) character designs and automatically give a poor animation rating when they discover such scenes with strange looking characters in an episode. To learn more about idiosyncratic animation in anime overall, I recommend AniPages.
Old 2009-04-03, 16:25   Link #23
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Good dialogues, convincing characters , good adaptation and the lead does not make me want to become an anime Hulk out of sheer frustration watching it.
Old 2009-04-03, 20:10   Link #24
leonard267

Prior to watching this anime, I have not read the light novels. So I may not have high expectations of the anime.

As someone who has not been acquainted with the novels, I still find the anime very enjoyable, very impressionable and found myself very disoriented after watching the final episode because it is so emotionally powerful.

Quote:
I think Horie Yui and Rie Tanaka did a wonderul job."
Tanaka Rie plays the homeroom teacher in this anime. But I still think she has done a good job playing that character. After watching Hayate no Gotoku and Toradora!, whenever I think of Tanaka Rie, I now think of 30, 40 or 50 year old women.
Old 2009-04-03, 22:13   Link #25
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Not a bad series at all in my opinion, not at all. It had modest ambitions, and had quite a nice execution within that small frame. It had nice, and quite well executed characters development, and their interaction was just gorgeous to see. I just love to see when a direction studio takes care to develop the lifes of the secondary cast outside of the protagonist circle, so that's a big plus in my book.

Now for the minuses... I guess the sereis could have done with some episodes more. Because the last 2 episodes really felt as if someone had pressed the fast forward button. Other than that, there were just some hiccups here and there, probably Yuusaku's arc being the most noticeable. I think his character was seriously underdeveloped, considering all the potential he had.

All in all, this is a series in the good range in my book. Certainly nothing revolutionary or that made me cry buckets like its comrade in arms, CLANNAD, but good nevertheless. It gets a solid 8/10 from me. Good job, J.C staff. Now if you could make every series you adapt like this...
Old 2009-04-03, 23:30   Link #26
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Animation Quality: 8/10

I don't think it has great animation, but I don't think it has bad animation, either. It generally lies somewhere in between, but it is good most of the time.

Voice Actors: 10/10

I can't deny this from the show: the voice actors were exemplary, from the two Rie to Eri Kitamura.

Script: 8/10

This was a 10 for the first twenty episodes. I thought episode 23 and 24 were among anime's most horrible episodes, however, so in general the script is a good 8.

Soundtrack: 10/10

Now this was awesome. Among the four themes of the show, I didn't warm up only to Silky Heart. Great music, too.

Editing: 6/10

Episode 23 and 24 were horrible, horrible pieces of editing. It was a decent adaptation for the most part, but episode 23 and 24 were trash, in my opinion.

Enjoyment: 8/10

It was, in general, a good show.

Emotional Involvement: 10/10

I don't mean that in just a good way. Although I did cry with a number of scenes in the series, I also raged in some others. I was really emotionally involved, yes. But if it were positive emotional involved I were asked, I'd have to rate it an 8/10.

Overall, it's a good show - 8/10 for me. I've often made mistakes in my first impressions, but I admit, I have made a grave one regarding Toradora: it was never Honey and Clover and it never rose to that series's quality. Nevertheless, it's a good show.
Old 2009-04-04, 00:24   Link #27
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Brilliant... we have someone (nutype) who spends all their posts in Gundam 00 and apparently nowhere else bothering to come troll a "1" vote in a rom-com series poll. Whatever credibility he had.... meh.

Makes me think perhaps my policy of not voting my opinons in series threads of genre I don't watch/like may need to be reviewed...
Old 2009-04-04, 04:01   Link #28
Deathscyther

Animation Quality: 8

Quality was pretty good throughout the entire show. There were some scenes that didn't do the rest of the show justice though.

Voice Actors: 10

I think everyone did a great job. From the emotional scenes to the funny ones, all voice actors did surprisingly well. I was especially impressed by Kugimiya Rie as Taiga, Majima Junji as Ryuuji and Kitamura Eri as Ami.

Script: 9

Since I've read most of the novels , I feel that the core of the story has been adapted pretty good. Too bad most of the inner monologues had to be cut out.

Soundtrack: 10

I loved all the OP and ED songs and most of the BGM were used at the perfect times (like Taiga's breakdown).

Editing: 8.5

The anime felt rushed sometimes, because they couldn't animate everything within these 25 episode. Some character development and a lot of inner monologues (from especially Ryuuji) have been lost in the adaptation. But I think they did a great job with the budget and time they had.

Enjoyment: 10

This is one of the best show's I've seen. It will definitely have a spot in my top 5.

Emotional Involvement: 10

The show made me laugh, cry, and think about my life at times. Enough said.

Overall rating: 9.25/10

It wasn't perfect, but it was enough to make me love it. Definitely one of the best!
Old 2009-04-04, 04:34   Link #29
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Animation Quality: 7/10

Obviously that other project done by same studio (Index) got much more investments into it, while Toradora was kept on poor side. Maybe thats why the series that should have been at least 36 episodes long got crampled into 25. Anyway quality is not impressive at all.

Voice Actors: 10/10

Nothing new - VA was really good in this one.

Script: 8/10

Script was good as it followed the novels pretty closely, and most horrible episodes (near the ending) happened mostly due to not having enough time and too much things to tell. Still it could be better.

Soundtrack: 10/10

Very good.

Editing: 5/10

Episodes near the ending were just atrocious examples of bad editing in my opinion. On the other hand quite a few episodes were done really well.

Enjoyment: 7/10

It was a good way to spend ones time.

Emotional Involvement: 3/10

Never was emotionally involved with the series, and did not care much about characters, so emotional involvement for me was minimal if any.

Overall: 7/10

A good show, but I doubt it really deserves so many 10 as it gets. There are better lovecoms and will be better lovecoms, but this one gives a decent enjoyment. And probably gives even better enjoyment if you are more emotionally involved.

I still believe it should have been at least 36 episodes to fully disclose its potential (and crappy work on eps 23, 24 seems to prove this), sad but that will always remain in wasted opportunities land, though.
Old 2009-04-04, 12:49   Link #30
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Great show, never to be forgotten for a long time. Would've wanted more episodes from it though.

Going by the episodes, ToraDora! started getting interesting for me by ep 8 and was churning solid episodes since then. My favorite episode would still be ep 13 because of its edifying display of friendship I have rarely seen anywhere.

Characterization shines in ToraDora! I somehow find character motivations predictable, but that is a good thing for me because it shows that the story is reasonably constructed.

This is definitely something I would recommend to my friends, and I'm hoping for a live action version.
Old 2009-04-04, 17:48   Link #31
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Animation Quality: 7
Voice Actors: 9
Script: 7
Soundtrack: 8
Editing: 7
Enjoyment: 9
Emotional Involvement: 8

Overall: 9 / 10

I did tend to give it 8, but it was a 10 for me in the first episodes and the end was nicely done, so ^^ Just let me down somewhere in the middle.

Was a good show, but it didn't live up to my expexctations I had from the first episodes. The characters often annoyed me, e.g.: I really loved Ami at first, but she became pretty boring after she put that 'mature' attitude on.
BUT I did enjoy it a lot. I'd only had wished for a better balance between drama and comedy.
The voices were really good. And I liked th OPs and EDs. The second one not so much .. but it was nicely done - just not my piece of cake.

Well, Toradora was a good series to watch, but it just didn't leave such a big impression on me. Still a 9 .. since I did laugh a lot and I don't have much to nag about xD
Old 2009-04-04, 18:43   Link #32
Tatakae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Animation Quality: 7/10

Obviously that other project done by same studio (Index) got much more investments into it, while Toradora was kept on poor side.
I've seen the first episode of To aru majutsu Index and haven't been impressed by its animation back then. To keep memory fresh I watched some random episodes on youtube, together with some of Toradora. What can I say? Index's animation looks "clean" with lots of digital effects, but it has almost no characterization. There's lots of "action" on screen, but it often consists of repetition in the animation of fast weaving hair and clothes for example. It often looks dull to me. Toradora's animation on the other hand has lots of moments where you can see subtle nuances in the character's faces and their behavior, getting angry, flustering, blushing, small details like the akward moving of Inko-chan, and so on. Towards the second half of the series you have sometimes badly drawn characters an inbetween-breakup (作画崩壊) [a good example would be Minori and Ryûji running out of the classroom in episode 24 to chase after Taiga], but then you have scenes with have been animated with a great eye to details in human movements (like the famous Kiss scene in episode 25).
Old 2009-04-05, 07:19   Link #33
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
Going by the episodes, ToraDora! started getting interesting for me by ep 8 and was churning solid episodes since then. My favorite episode would still be ep 13 because of its edifying display of friendship I have rarely seen anywhere.
I'm with you on Toradora moving uphill after episode 8. I was already addicted by then but episode 8 was when I started to appreciate Toradora's superb characterisation.

Episode 13 was good but the overdone, somehow corny reconciliation between Ryuuji and Minori just didn't work for me.
Old 2009-04-06, 00:07   Link #34
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Animation Quality: 8- Decent quality. Nothing outstanding, some really great use of colors that worked well. The movements were pretty fluid not as detailed as some and a bit inconstant.

Voice Actors: 8 I can not stand hearing Rie doing the same tsundere over and over and over again. It is really getting annoying but that can be blamed on her part as the casters. some really great actors noted to Horie, being thebest.

Script: - 7 decent it could have been better at times with specific situations. Overall good.

Soundtrack: 9 - I really loved the music and the visuals that came with. Really enjoyable.

Editing: 8 - As with any adaptation some stuff needs to be left out, but it wasn't enough to ruin the story. Good job here.

Enjoyment: 7.5- Characters such as Taiga were a huge factor in the enjoyment. I could have done without her which took away from liking the actual story.

Emotional Involvement: 7 - The drama was not presented in a convincing manner. It was alright but did not create enough impact(like say Clannad). It felt it came much much too late on. As well as Taiga and Ryuuji's relationship felt rushed. Decent show would not care to see it again or recommend it.

7/10 or maybe 7.5/10
Old 2009-04-06, 01:32   Link #35
AnimeFullForce
*Artist

This was the best anime ive seen this season ill have to say a 10 out of 10 ;D

Animation Quality: 9
Very realistic, flauless except some of the fight seens
Voice Actors: 10
They fit the characters personallity
Script: 10
makes much sense
Soundtrack: 9
very good
Editing: 10

Enjoyment: 10

Emotional Involvement: 10
Old 2009-04-06, 03:33   Link #36
AnimeFangirl

I enjoyed the first fifteen or so episodes. If I was rating on that alone it would be 8/10. The last 10 get a 2/10 from me, full of narmful, embarrassing moments and severe character derailment for just about everyone. Each episode was more frustrating and annoying than the last and a few of them were downright boring. Plus an ending where the couple is obviously going to break up within 2 years? Why, it's like Ef all over again.

I still think Ryuuji and Taiga are making a mistake and confusing deep friendship with romantic feelings. Of course you're going to feel a twinge of jealousy if your best friend of the opposite sex finds a romantic interest, but to confuse it with love is a big mistake. But meh, whatever. If I want a romance that ends the way I want I can just read Ichigo 100% again (ah, the sweet salty tears of the Aya fans *slurp*).

I suck at averages but I think a 6/10 is about what I felt for Toradora! I wouldn't watch it again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I don't regret watching it.
Old 2009-04-06, 03:37   Link #37
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
Plus an ending where the couple is obviously going to break up within 2 years?
Hahahaha my ass they're going to break up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
I still think Ryuuji and Taiga are making a mistake and confusing deep friendship with romantic feelings.
Then you're wrong, plain and simple.
Old 2009-04-06, 06:43   Link #38
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Hahahaha my ass they're going to break up.
I'd actually like to hear his rationalization for this one. Seems like it would be interesting, to say the least...

Old 2009-04-06, 07:11   Link #39
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Then you're wrong, plain and simple.
Can someone remind me when an opinion has been wrong?

'I still think Ryuuji and Taiga are making a mistake and confusing deep friendship with romantic feelings.'

That's very much an opinion, not a fact.

In case you're still confused, go here. It's a very helpful link.
Old 2009-04-06, 10:30   Link #40
typhonsentra

Here's my theory (Note: This is only for those who have complained that the cast acts "Out of Character"):

Toradora initially sets up the story as a standard romantic comedy and introduces a full-blown "Harem" by episode 5 with Ami. All of the characters are introduced and initially behave in ways you'd expect in this kind of show with all three girls developing feelings for the male lead yet him being oblivious to them.

From this point on however, things get messy because normally someone familiar with this genre (Or more accurately, what they thought the genre was) has certain expectations for where the story will go from here: All the girls are supposed to fight for the male lead's attention and all are supposed to confess their love. I saw a lot of this up until the end, people claiming the show was too predictable but once we got the half-way point most of the complaints changed to everyone acting "Out of character". The show gave plenty of justification for why Minori wouldn't want to confess to Ryuuji and it was always clear to me why Ami didn't either but yet there was always this very vocal group complaining about it. Maybe they're just shippers but just as likely they came into the show with the wrong mind-set.

This is why I feel Toradora is/was such an exceptional series, it challenged the audience in ways that I've never seen before in anime. It didn't always give the audience an easy answer for what was the right way to go and didn't compromise whatsoever for the fans who went into the show hoping for just a certain pairing. Did I like every choice made in the series? No, but I respected the writers (Both the original and the adaptation) for putting so much effort into justifying why it happened.
Closed Thread