Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-04-08, 11:55   Link #21
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchikatsu View Post
hardsubs leave uhh like artifacts around the subtitles though because it shows where there placed which "kind of" sucks. Softsubbing can't handle every font I don't think so sure hardsubs are prettier
Actually all you need to do is attach the fonts that you are using for the softsubs in the MKV file that you are muxing the streams into.

Quote:
Nobody in fansubbing uses SRT fyi. Unless it involves DVDs.
You'd be surprised, but many groups add SRT as the second softsub track. Doesn't have to be just DVD-Rips. Also many J-Drama fansubbing groups just use SRT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
H264 FTW. To those who have processor issues, after tweaking a bit (namely installing CoreAVC H264 codec in my PC) my old Athlon XP 1.5 ghz can run HD 1024x567 H264 releases like breakfast. Come on, people, H264 looks better, and it's easier for fansubbers because of softsubs.
You can have softsubs with nearly any video format that you desire. But yes, h264 achieves better quality than XviD at the same or even smaller filesize. And as for easiness... That depends on the fansubber/group.

Last edited by martino; 2007-04-08 at 12:03. Reason: corrections
Old 2007-04-08, 15:33   Link #22
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

Quotes volume 2 .avi or .mkv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navitron
MKV all the way...
Every time I see mkv and h264 it makes me smile, its to bad that its still almost 5:1 in downloads in avi over mkv formats. I like moving forward in video quality and compression we wont use Xvid forever, h264 is the way to go. Great quality at smaller file sizes.

Sure it might take abit more CPU power but if you know your codecs and have the right low cpu usage player, even on my friends 800MHz dell from 1998 plays 720p h264's without a problem. So no one should be complaining that it doesn't run on there computer. Anyone who has anything less then a 1Ghz these days seriously needs to like go and make or ask there parents for $200 you can get a somewhat decent comp. A used computer with at least 2ghz usualy costs about $80 on craigslist, and it could even play 1080p if you can tweak it right.

Ether 4/5 of the anime watching/dling community is using 450mhz P2s or they just don't want to get out of there avi container "comfort zone" thats what they have known and used and don't want anything else.
If any members from fansub groups are reading this there are people out there with HD monitors / and are quality junkies (shout out to Static Subs and Eclipse for feeding the need for us HD lovers :3), any time I see groups doing 720p h264 It puts a smile on my face
anime in 1080p here we come? :P
For the first part of your post sure. The processor type may also "support" the issue in some fashion also.

4/5 of the anime watching/dlling community is using 450mhz? I know you aren't serious and if so show some proof.

AVI is just a fad, a trend, nothing fantastic about it people just hooked on it and yes, scared to move off it. HD h264 720p gives everyone smiles.
1080p, maybe in this decade, not quite there yet...GO JAPAN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retardation
this is a big issue too
your funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydex
I prefer avi over h264, because I simply see no difference in image quality, plus I can play avi on my laptop with a downgraded to 600MHZ cpu (meaning, no more ventilation, no more noise), where I usually have to put my cpu to 1GHZ+ for h264 (meaning more noise)...
WTF does avi have to do with h264. Comparing a format container to a Codec is nice and theory but well, yeah. Yes, less and more proccess power used between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofus_Maximus
I don't care if it's AVI or MKV or MP4 or "flavor-of-the-week" format. I've come to love h.264 formatted 1280x720 for shows like "The Bartender" or some of the better drawn anime, where you can really see the detail. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter to me.

They need to work on a bug-free update to vsfilter, or fix up the subtitle feature of FFDShow, however. I have problems with both, though the ffdshow problems tend to be serious, while the vsfilter problems are just annoying.
codecs have nothing to do with detail fyi.

Flavor of the Week format? HAHAHA not funny what's that supposed to mean, different groups do different formats/containers/codecs.

As long as vsfilter is made by a human, or made by something from a human it's fucked somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans
Since this is a suggestion forum, and you want some suggestion either to go with MKV or AVI, then it's perfectly fine Although the general forum or better yet, the fansub forum, could be more appropriate.

Wow... real palyer user... never see that one coming
The thing is most fansub anime that I see use MKV as higher quality releases. Afaik you can't put h264 video to AVI, and h264 is needed to keep those HD resolution anime within acceptable file size , then you've got your self an anime with MKV
I think some fansub release also use h264 to put out same quality release as the xvid version but with lower file size, which is a good thing for those with limited speed and/or with download cap.
And there are others using either OGG or MP4, which is more or less have the same capability as MKV...
The media player I use is Media Player Classic with ffdshow codec, haali mastroska splitter, and vsfilter. Or you could just download VLC. I don't know if Real Player can use directshow filters, but if it can, you can just download matroska splitter to play MKV. To play h264 you need to download ffdshow or whatever you like (currently coreavc is the fastest decoder to play h264 content, but it's not free). Windows media player by default can't handle these too, so you still need to download the same thing.
YOU SHOULD GET DEREPPED for this post. Everyone should just derep you.

MKV is tend to be used for high quality because the codec that most fansubbers encode with for this container is h.264. It compressed more than XVID but aside from that, all filtering, no codec, no container. More compression, lower filesize, You can xvid a HD and still come off with super quality.

MP4 doesn't support softsubs...(mp4 where's those softsubs plzzz This is what i want) MP4 also used with HD animes. With h.264, this container tends to come off the lowest filesizes, that's just the way .mp4 is, which mostly everyone should know.
Froth-Bite is an mp4 only group and a good example of this, (kind of)

Windows is unheard of h264 so yeah don't expect support anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyeighty
Don't go with just Media Player Classic, go with CCCP. Otherwise you will have to take care of all the nasty backend stuff like configuring ffdshow etc. If you do want to use CCCP be sure to remove all other codec packs before and play your files with the included MPC (or Zoom).

Concerning avi vs mkv: mkv is clearly superior, so i always get that if available. Especially HD h.264 encodes are sexy.
You should get derepped to for the last part of your post.

CCCP...sure that works .

mkv isn't superior to avi nor vice versa...though one has more feats than the other one has more compatability. You can't judge what is better from what we fansubbers make of em or even further with what the cappers make of avi. Since the video is what your judging mostly off this conclusion. the container is just format ;p
Old 2007-04-08, 19:00   Link #23
emptyeighty

Quote:
CCCP...sure that works .

mkv isn't superior to avi nor vice versa...though one has more feats than the other one has more compatability.
Your logic eats itself there. Why in gods name would one judge a container by the n00bs who can't install a single piece of software?

Quote:
You can't judge what is better from what we fansubbers make of em or even further with what the cappers make of avi. Since the video is what your judging mostly off this conclusion. the container is just format ;p
Don't project what you are judging onto others. I like the experience as whole, kthx ;p
Old 2007-04-08, 20:17   Link #24
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatNoob( emptyeighty )
Your logic eats itself there. Why in gods name would one judge a container by the n00bs who can't install a single piece of software?
My logic doesn't eat itself, feats means nothing. MKV could have more feats i never said better feats. AVI has more compatability, which bites on softsubs anyday :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatNoobImentionedAbove
Don't project what you are judging onto others. I like the experience as whole, kthx ;p
Okay, so lots of us like things doesn't mean it's any better than any other thing since we are just talking opinions.
Old 2007-04-08, 23:57   Link #25
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

is it possible for winamp to play MKV files?
Old 2007-04-09, 04:17   Link #26
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Yes, Winamp can play mkv. You have to manually add the extension though, otherwise it just ignores the files. (preferences->input->direct show decoder-> add ";MKV")
Old 2007-04-09, 04:41   Link #27
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

If you want to use Winamp for MKV files (I wouldn't advise you to do it, but it IS possible), you should read this first: http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/ind...title=Winamp_5
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2007-04-09, 07:57   Link #28
emptyeighty

Quote:
My logic doesn't eat itself, feats means nothing. MKV could have more feats i never said better feats. AVI has more compatability, which bites on softsubs anyday :P
Feats mean potential. What you say or think is irrelevant, reality counts.

Quote:
Okay, so lots of us like things doesn't mean it's any better than any other thing since we are just talking opinions.
No we aren't talking opinion.
Old 2007-04-09, 15:23   Link #29
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

It's those very softsubs that give me the most trouble with this format, though! Evidently the softsub support in FFDShow is a tangled mess of spaghetti-code that's impossible to rip out, and hard to work on. VSFilter doesn't like using the video mixing renderer in any player except MPC, and then only because I'm forcing the use of VMR9 in MPC. There's something seriously wrong with the non-VMR video on my machine, and I don't know how to fix it. I wish VSFilter got along with VMR by default, the way FFDShow does.

Aside from the softsubs issue, I love the higher resolution of the MKV/MP4 formats.
Old 2007-04-09, 16:17   Link #30
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofus Maximus View Post
It's those very softsubs that give me the most trouble with this format, though! Evidently the softsub support in FFDShow is a tangled mess of spaghetti-code that's impossible to rip out, and hard to work on. VSFilter doesn't like using the video mixing renderer in any player except MPC, and then only because I'm forcing the use of VMR9 in MPC. There's something seriously wrong with the non-VMR video on my machine, and I don't know how to fix it. I wish VSFilter got along with VMR by default, the way FFDShow does.

Aside from the softsubs issue, I love the higher resolution of the MKV/MP4 formats.
You should by all means use vsfilter for sub rendering. If you want the problem fixed post a test render, media info and a full log from CCCP Insurgent to the CCCP forums or poke someone in the chat. From what you describe it sounds like a vidcard driver issue, but that's pretty much guessing before knowing the details.
Old 2007-04-09, 16:28   Link #31
Nicholi
King of Hosers

VSFilter works fine with VMR...by default. Perfect example, the thousands of hosers who use VSFilter with WMP.
Old 2007-04-10, 10:07   Link #32
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

It doesn't work fine with VMR for me though, was my point (Or rather, I can't get it to USE VMR by default). Unless forced, as MPC does, Vobsub invokes the regular video renderer instead of the Video Mixing Renderer.
Old 2007-04-10, 14:39   Link #33
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofus Maximus View Post
It doesn't work fine with VMR for me though, was my point (Or rather, I can't get it to USE VMR by default). Unless forced, as MPC does, Vobsub invokes the regular video renderer instead of the Video Mixing Renderer.
Thats quite entirely different from what you previously said.

"VSFilter doesn't work at all, I wish it would work like FFDshow."

When you should be saying "VSFilter isn't working for me, I need help." Paraphrase ftw.
Old 2007-04-11, 10:11   Link #34
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Sorry. I thought the "for me" was implied, and left it out.