AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-10-23, 23:05   Link #1061
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Well i do believe some parts of the 80GBs were downgraded for cost reduction, not to the point that is gimped, but certainly isnt "as good as the 60GB one". I for one would like a bigger bang for my buck, so i bought the 60gb one while they are still in stock.
Old 2007-10-24, 15:33   Link #1062
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

It seems like you'll be able to make your Top Gear segment "Just some guy in a reasonably priced car" in GT5 and try and beat the Stig

As for the PS2-compatibility dispute for the PS3, afaik there are three models now:
- Original 60 GB with full PS2 hardware and good PS2 compatibility (I got one of these )
- European 60 GB and worldwide 80 GB: no PS2 CPU, less PS2 compatible, but still works
- New stripped down 40 GB: no PS2 CPU and GPU, no PS2 compatibility at all
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 18:28   Link #1063
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
It seems like you'll be able to make your Top Gear segment "Just some guy in a reasonably priced car" in GT5 and try and beat the Stig

As for the PS2-compatibility dispute for the PS3, afaik there are three models now:
- Original 60 GB with full PS2 hardware and good PS2 compatibility (I got one of these )
- European 60 GB and worldwide 80 GB: no PS2 CPU, less PS2 compatible, but still works
- New stripped down 40 GB: no PS2 CPU and GPU, no PS2 compatibility at all
Don't know much about Euro models, but there's actually four now.
20, 40, 60, and 80 gb.

The only raped SKU is the 40, which has no BC. Sorta weird, because the newest 20 gb SKU has BC. I think it's hardware, too.

EDIT:
Source here:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/cheap-ass-g...eal-313694.php
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 11:33   Link #1064
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist

Hold on... the 40GB has no BC for PS2... and the PS1?
Old 2007-10-25, 21:00   Link #1065
Yagami_Kazuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
Hold on... the 40GB has no BC for PS2... and the PS1?
Yes, so if you want PS2 BC, go for a 60 or 80GB. However, it would not surprise me in the least if down the road they release an update for full PS2 software BC, similar to how PS1 runs now.
Yagami_Kazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-26, 04:47   Link #1066
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

While PS1 software emulation is easy (even the PSP can do it), PS2 software emulation is supposedly a lot harder. The PS2 GPU makes use of some techniques that apparently makes it nearly impossible to properly emulate, or so I've read.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-26, 21:52   Link #1067
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
While PS1 software emulation is easy (even the PSP can do it), PS2 software emulation is supposedly a lot harder. The PS2 GPU makes use of some techniques that apparently makes it nearly impossible to properly emulate, or so I've read.
Ya, i recall being told that in order to have ANY kind of PS2 emulation there is some hardware required. For FULL emulation their is a more expensive chip that is used, but for partial-full emulation some other less epensive hardware is required... the software downloads i believe are meant to fix problems with that harware in order to allow for the Emulation to work(so it's not just software but a combination of software and hardware that's required... where as the 60GB ps3's using ONLY hardware)... Without the hardware, then emulation though software becomes impossible... if it were possible to make the emulation to work without any hardware just like PS1 games then that's how they would have made the 40GB version, since the lack of hardware means no added cost to the 40gb, and the fact that advertising "NO BC" is a bad idea if you know you can have the same price but WITH BC... The whole reason they are able to sell the 40gb for $400 is because they got rid of the all that hardware...

So ya, all in all, the 40GB will never have BC... I was told something like that... forget where i heard it though
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 09:50   Link #1068
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist

Game Informer posted 3 new screens of Final Fantasy XIII, although not HD quality meh. Same with one new screen by GameSpy of Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-11-02, 06:31   Link #1069
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Question. I have a Ps1 (not hooked up.) I have a Ps2. I want to get a Ps3. What model should I get? I was looking at the new 40GB one for 399$CAN... since I have a PS2 (hooked-up) and won't play many games with downloadable content (FF13, Devil May Cry, Heavenly Sword, Folklore...)
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-02, 10:51   Link #1070
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist

If you don't care about BC on the PS3 just get the 40GB(if you do, then 60GB/80GB it is). Although if you do and get a more than just a few games on the PS3 I suggest you get a bigger HDD reason is the Game Data Utility folder.

MotorStorm ~ 103MB
Folklore ~ 1031MB
Rachet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction ~ 417MB
Record of Agarest War ~ 4928MB (don't believe me? here & if it's hard to see then here - sorry for bad quality cam sux0rs lately)

I wouldn't be surprised if Megazone 23 is almost 5GB alone like Agarest Senki & other Japanese games. Unless you don't mind deleting&installing over and over again.
Aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-02, 10:57   Link #1071
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

I don't get it. What does the PS3 download? What does it save? 1GB? 4GB data files? Why?
Old 2007-11-02, 11:20   Link #1072
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist

It's like installation a game in the PC but this time it's on the PlayStation 3. Not all games need files on the Game Data Utility. You can freely install & delete it as much as you want but you'll need it to play the games if it's required, example: Oblivion takes 3-4GB to play the game, game saves are in another folder called Saved Data Utility which barely a game saves 2MB each(except Super Rub a Dub PSN game which takes 3MB for me).

Example:
Warcraft III: Frozen Throne installed on PC
Warcraft III: Frozen Throne Disc required to play
Warcraft III: Frozen Throne Uninstalled the data and attempts to play it with the Disc asking for game data required to play

Now why are some game data files so big? I don't know, that should really be asked to the developers.
Old 2007-11-02, 19:44   Link #1073
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

The game data is mostly for running the game faster, by installing some parts of the game it saves the loading time from Disc. Some games do require u to install but thats few and far in between. Its easy to delete game data so u dont really need that big of a HD unless u like having 7+ games on the go
Old 2007-11-05, 14:36   Link #1074
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

How does the PS3 look over DVI?
Old 2007-11-05, 17:05   Link #1075
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
It's like installation a game in the PC but this time it's on the PlayStation 3. Not all games need files on the Game Data Utility. You can freely install & delete it as much as you want but you'll need it to play the games if it's required, example: Oblivion takes 3-4GB to play the game, game saves are in another folder called Saved Data Utility which barely a game saves 2MB each(except Super Rub a Dub PSN game which takes 3MB for me).

Example:
Warcraft III: Frozen Throne installed on PC
Warcraft III: Frozen Throne Disc required to play
Warcraft III: Frozen Throne Uninstalled the data and attempts to play it with the Disc asking for game data required to play

Now why are some game data files so big? I don't know, that should really be asked to the developers.
Current generation Blu-Ray is only 2X I believe.
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profil...9&user=skektek

Check out that page for a good readup on why Blu-Ray disc read speeds aren't so great compared to DVD's... so far.

That's why there's a need for installation right now.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 10:47   Link #1076
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
Current generation Blu-Ray is only 2X I believe.
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profil...9&user=skektek

Check out that page for a good readup on why Blu-Ray disc read speeds aren't so great compared to DVD's... so far.

That's why there's a need for installation right now.
Stolen from another forum:

Quote:
2x Single Layer Blu-Ray Read = 72Mbps (Constant)

12x Single Layer DVD Read = 130Mbps (Peak)

Normally Dual-layer DVD-ROM is read at 8x(~88Mbps peak) by a DVD drive.
360 discs fall under the last example, so it's not really that much of a difference.

I believe installation exists for the PS3 simply because it can. A harddrive would always be faster than a disc drive, and the PS3 is always guaranteed to have one.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 13:42   Link #1077
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Is there likely to be another price drop or any relatively decent sales between now and January?
Old 2007-11-08, 13:52   Link #1078
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk View Post
Is there likely to be another price drop or any relatively decent sales between now and January?
Price Drop? hell no... considering we already have the 40GB no BC at $400 and the 80GB at $500, drops that occured like in the last month, we probably won't be seeing another price drop till next year

Decent sales... probably nothing coming directly from Sony... it's something you'll have to keep looking to your local retailers on.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 15:42   Link #1079
EternalDestiny

Firmware 2.00 just got released for hte PS3. woot!

Features include:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/833/833770p1.html
EternalDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 16:09   Link #1080
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist

I really like the 2.00, browser runs a hell lot faster than it did before - love the Nature theme.

Currently downloading the Uncharted demo at the moment, I'll be editing here what I think about it.

Edit;
~Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo Impressions~
I though the gameplay was going to be just a normal plain Tomb Raider ripoff, but how wrong I was after playing the demo. The shooting is smooth and easy to use, the AI is a lot smarter than I though they'd be(played on Normal & Hard only). Theres absolutely no map or anything with you during the demo, so I had to look around everywhere until I could find a hint to lead the path(yeah I explore). The game looks beautiful on an HDTV, the animation looks great - Nathan Drake's scream reminds me of Crash a lot. This will most likely be the PlayStation 3's Game Of the Year. I am so getting this on Nov 19th.

Last edited by Aka; 2007-11-08 at 18:18.

Tags
console, ps3, sony