AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

View Poll Results: Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 18 37.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 43.75%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 12.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 6.25%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-18, 12:36   Link #41
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Rei surely likes to live on the edge, I was a bit surprised she didn't get much more in the way of angry outburst from Yoshino, possibly including attempts of using violence.
I especially liked the way the show insinuated that the blowup was going to be Rei reacting to Nana for the first time (and how Yoshino didn't introduce her earlier), but it instead became Yoshino blowing up over Rei's little secret.
Old 2009-02-18, 13:10   Link #42
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I especially liked the way the show insinuated that the blowup was going to be Rei reacting to Nana for the first time (and how Yoshino didn't introduce her earlier), but it instead became Yoshino blowing up over Rei's little secret.
Maria-sama is full of little redirection ploys like this. They get you to look one way while smacking you with something else. Its one of the easiest and most effective way to surprise an audience.
Old 2009-02-18, 14:09   Link #43
jinstevens

I had to watch this episode twice. I had a post part way composed, but after I read some of the excellent observations here, I decided I hadn't watched the episode carefully enough. After seeing it a second time, boy what a difference.

I'm not going to post my own analysis of this episode largely because I think the folks posting on this thread have done an excellent job at pointing out the misunderstandings and Touko's pride.

A few observations though:

1. Yumi never knew that Shimako had an older brother? This and the fact that Yumi states that Shimako and Yoshino had never visited her house in episode 6 kind of gets me wondering what kind of friendship she has with them. Or is this a Japanese thing where you may not know personal details of the people closest to you for a long time?

2. For as long as I've been watching this show, I didn't pick up the fact that Kugimiya Rie was Touko. It's interesting to compare and contrast Touko with Aisaka Taiga. I guess Touko tsundere-like qualities (I'll let you guys judge whether or not she's a tsundere character; I vote no) should've been a dead giveaway.

3. I'm really enjoying Kanako's growth. I still think it's a pity that she excused herself from being Yumi's soeur. However, her embarrassment at coming to the party and her friendly smile at Yumi during the photo session were really cute. The fact that she is socializing outside of the Yamiyurikai and have joined the basketball team points to her reaching out a lot more. She's even made up with Touko and is now one of her best friends(?)

4. Curious about Noriko's relationship with Touko. I notice Noriko addresses Touko without honorifics. When/how did they get to be such good friends?

5. We need to see more Tsutako-san! I love the fact that the camera she yields is so symbolic of her perceptiveness. Will they cover the fact that she has a soeur candidate? I also enjoy how Tsutako picks up on the weaknesses of her friend Yumi and so elegantly bridges the gap.

6. I enjoyed Yoshino being Yoshino: boundless energy in a frail body.

7. I think Nana handled herself very well in being introduced to some of the most intimidating (at least by reputation) students at Lillian.

8. Sachiko's and Yumi's relationship with each other continues to deepen. Convenience -> Attraction -> Protectiveness -> Affection -> Love -> Empathy

9. Just how tall are the Yamiyurikai members? I suppose Rei and Sachiko are on the tall side, but are Yumi, Yoshino, Shimako, Noriko all the same height? Is Touko the same height as Yumi or shorter? Nana seems to be Yoshino's height or slightly taller.

10. Looking forward to the next episode where it looks like we'll be seeing another New Years gathering.
Old 2009-02-19, 06:43   Link #44
inisipis

After watching the episode again, i was surprised at how tall Kanako is. I thought that Kanako is as tall as Rei is, but in the Line-up she's way taller than Rei.

Also, why can't the girls at Yamayurikai get a normal Boyfriend? I mean, Rei has 10 year old "boyfriend" and Noriko has 72 year old one. Sachiko has a fruit for a fiance and Eriko is courting a widower almost twice her age with a little daughter. lol

Last edited by inisipis; 2009-02-19 at 06:55.
Old 2009-02-19, 06:48   Link #45
inisipis

Thumbs up Marimite 4 at Anime Insider

BTW. There's a whole article about the Fourth season of Maria watches over us in the latest issue of the magazine Anime Insider. There are nice comments from the Japanese Producer and the Director about the show. Go check it out.

P.s. It's the March issue #66 with the D-gray man cover.

Last edited by inisipis; 2009-02-21 at 04:49. Reason: to be specific
Old 2009-02-19, 07:42   Link #46
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisipis View Post
BTW. There's a whole article about the Fourth season of Maria watches over us in the latest issue of the magazine Anime Insider. There are nice comments from the Japanese Producer and the Director about the show. Go check it out.
@offtopic: Where to buy it? I'm just a jeepney ride away from Greenhills, and money's no object.
Old 2009-02-19, 10:35   Link #47
mintyfresh
Altoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinstevens View Post
1. Yumi never knew that Shimako had an older brother? This and the fact that Yumi states that Shimako and Yoshino had never visited her house in episode 6 kind of gets me wondering what kind of friendship she has with them. Or is this a Japanese thing where you may not know personal details of the people closest to you for a long time?
I'm not quite sure if this is a spoiler, or simply something the anime won't get to covering (odds are its the latter), but

Spoiler for I'll mark it anyhow..:

Yumi and Yoshino may not be as close to Shimako as they are to one another, but I'm pretty sure the three of them are all generally quite good friends.

Quote:
4. Curious about Noriko's relationship with Touko. I notice Noriko addresses Touko without honorifics. When/how did they get to be such good friends?
I think that probably comes down to the fact that Noriko (being new and all) has never really been one to follow the rules at Lillian too closely. Granted, her referring to Touko without the "-san" is not a terribly big deal -- Sachiko and Rei of course do it, as did the Roses before them, but of course you'll remember Sachiko reprimanding her for speaking to Shimako without referring to her as "Shimako-sama".
Conversely, Touko of course typically speaks to everyone, including Noriko, using the proper honorifics.

Quote:
9. Just how tall are the Yamiyurikai members? I suppose Rei and Sachiko are on the tall side, but are Yumi, Yoshino, Shimako, Noriko all the same height? Is Touko the same height as Yumi or shorter? Nana seems to be Yoshino's height or slightly taller.
Spoiler for A pretty good reference:

Besides that, Noriko is likely about Yumi or Yoshino's height, Touko is shorter than Yumi, and Kanako at 179cm is somehow the tallest of them all.
Old 2009-02-19, 16:25   Link #48
inisipis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
@offtopic: Where to buy it? I'm just a jeepney ride away from Greenhills, and money's no object.
I got mine at Comic Quest in Megamall

Last edited by inisipis; 2009-02-19 at 16:36. Reason: for clarity
Old 2009-02-19, 20:33   Link #49
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisipis View Post
I got mine at Comic Quest in Megamall
Thanks! I'll try to get it while it's still there.
Old 2009-02-19, 20:41   Link #50
jinstevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfresh View Post
I'm not quite sure if this is a spoiler, or simply something the anime won't get to covering (odds are its the latter), but

Spoiler for I'll mark it anyhow..:

Yumi and Yoshino may not be as close to Shimako as they are to one another, but I'm pretty sure the three of them are all generally quite good friends.

I think that probably comes down to the fact that Noriko (being new and all) has never really been one to follow the rules at Lillian too closely. Granted, her referring to Touko without the "-san" is not a terribly big deal -- Sachiko and Rei of course do it, as did the Roses before them, but of course you'll remember Sachiko reprimanding her for speaking to Shimako without referring to her as "Shimako-sama".
Conversely, Touko of course typically speaks to everyone, including Noriko, using the proper honorifics.

Spoiler for A pretty good reference:

Besides that, Noriko is likely about Yumi or Yoshino's height, Touko is shorter than Yumi, and Kanako at 179cm is somehow the tallest of them all.
Thanks mintyfresh for the answers. Those were a lot of things I didn't know. And Kanako is 5'10" or maybe 5'11"? They make her out to be such a giant lol. She towers over Sachiko whom I've always thought was around 5'7" or 5'8" with Yumi being 5'3" or 5'4".
Old 2009-02-20, 11:03   Link #51
kazuki_yuki92
Lelouch and C.C fans

Send a message via Yahoo to kazuki_yuki92
poor yumi in this episode...and this is first time i saw yumi crying like that...
Old 2009-02-20, 11:10   Link #52
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Wasn't it pretty much the same back in Rainy Blue? Anyway, I guess I'm one of the few ones not moved by the episode. That does not mean I'm not liking where the story is heading, but I guess the liking is more of an intellectual type than an emotional one

Last edited by Proto; 2009-02-20 at 15:07.
Old 2009-02-20, 22:50   Link #53
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Wasn't it pretty much the same back in Rainy Blue? Anyway, I guess I'm one of the few ones not moved by the episode. That does not mean I'm not liking where the story is heading, but I guess the liking is more of an intellectual type than an emotional one
In a way, I think that this is one of the strengths of Marimite. Even if you don't draw some sort of deep emotional attachment to the melodramatic moments, there are still ways to enjoy those scenes. I think of this show as a welcome refinement of the old shoujo dramas; and that it's all the more accessible because of that. It used to be that if you didn't buy into the melodrama, the show's effectiveness would completely fall apart.
Old 2009-02-21, 07:27   Link #54
moonlike75

Great Ep ^^
Love Sachi & Yumi soeur's relationship; feels good to see that growing stronger and stronger

Also:
Spoiler for About Touko's secret:

...However still waiting for the 8th to get out... It's supposed to be normally (in raw) :'-(
Old 2009-02-21, 10:53   Link #55
Molenir

Spoiler:
Old 2009-02-22, 15:32   Link #56
agila61

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
I really wish Yumi could have picked someone else... someone a lot more deserving.
But deserving how? Touko-chan's acting abilities are, of course, sugoi, and over time Yumi has come to understand how much of Touko's prickly behavior is defensive.

And their communication problems are not all Touko-chan's fault ... Yumi is not confident that she really deserves to have Touko-chan as her petite soeur, and that interferes with Yumi letting Touko-chan know why she wants her as her petite soeur.

But Yumi-san got through the barrier with Sachiko-sama, I have faith in her getting through the barrier with Touko-chan.
Old 2009-02-23, 18:20   Link #57
Sunspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Wasn't it pretty much the same back in Rainy Blue? Anyway, I guess I'm one of the few ones not moved by the episode. That
Count me in. And here I am thinking that something was seriously wrong about me as the whole “cry your heart inside out” scene had zero effect on me.
On the contrary I really liked the Rainy Blue scene. Sure it had a somewhat “staged” feeling exaggerated emotions overreacting characters and etc. but that’s exactly why it worked. It gave you a “shoujo manga” feeling while preserving the story, being the logical outcome of actions taken place in the preceding episodes.
Here in season 4 it gave me an impression like:
- One-sama should I cry now?
- Yes Yumi. You have about 20 sec. make the viewer understand you are really upset.
Well it was apparent that in this season we should see Yumi trying to find her younger sister sooner of later and offering a rosario shouldn’t be a surprise but why…. Why they decided to pull this scene out of nowhere exactly the same time as Yoshino is supposed to have a major blowout with Rei?
Since last OVA they (anime staff) made it clear that they want Yoshino to be another major character (as Sachiko-Yumi issues had finally been resolved). Why do they have to cut one important (emotion wise) scene in favor of another is beyond my understanding. Why not have them both to “finish” the viewer?

PS. The pace in this season is truly awful. It`s so light speed that I forgot when I was able to dive in and fully enjoy the moment. All the Yumi`s long monologues to herself are gone for good.
Old 2009-02-24, 07:04   Link #58
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
PS. The pace in this season is truly awful. It`s so light speed that I forgot when I was able to dive in and fully enjoy the moment. All the Yumi`s long monologues to herself are gone for good.
Right, do you people know if the studio producing Marimite is doing well like Kyoani? If it's not, then the rushed pace is inevitable, I mean the material they are using right now was supposed for another TWO seasons, if I'm not mistaken - they may not have enough funds...
Old 2009-05-12, 01:46   Link #59
Berserker

Do we ever get to see Rei's "boyfriend"?
Old 2009-05-13, 22:52   Link #60
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Not unless they go back and cover it in a new season.
Closed Thread