AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-01-20, 00:50   Link #61
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Note to self, mail coffee beans to Nightbat....
Old 2009-01-20, 03:08   Link #62
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Sorry, couldn't resist to post that

Maybe it's just coincidence but in the 2012 there are gonna be presidential elections on my country (Mexico, place in wich existed the Maya Civilisation)...

Nahhh... I read a bit of that leyend and from the Maya tablets and codes found on the ruins of this tribe, only a 14% has been translated succesfully so this is just some idea of a leyend
Old 2009-01-20, 06:05   Link #63
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

The date of humanity's end will never be accurately foretold. How many have tried and failled miserably already?
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 10:23   Link #64
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Random meaningless question: And if the end of the world is coming, then which end is it?
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 11:55   Link #65
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Random meaningless question: And if the end of the world is coming, then which end is it?
Wich end?

What do you mean?
Old 2009-01-20, 14:53   Link #66
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
meh if the world ends it just means i wont have to go to work the next day. Wait i tried that in 1993 and 2000 and my boss told me to get my ass to work im fired. End of the world is just another day and what the hell does "end of the world" mean anyway, i wish these predictions were more specific.
Old 2009-01-20, 15:00   Link #67
Gordy Lechance

The millenium bug was much scarier than this, and look what happened with that.
Gordy Lechance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 15:13   Link #68
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Lechance View Post
The millenium bug was much scarier than this, and look what happened with that.
you mean a big fat NOTHING
Old 2009-01-20, 15:16   Link #69
Gordy Lechance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
you mean a big fat NOTHING
And a big fat money-sucking scam too!!
Old 2009-01-20, 15:46   Link #70
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No... the "millenium bug" was real. What people were scammed with was all the media and press idiots who made a lot of money selling reams of magazines, television news, and newspapers scaring the hell out of people about it. Many man-hours were spent in industry fixing virtually all the meaningful problems before the clock struck midnight.

The press simply never reported it because it seems quiet success is not newsworthy. I probably corrected a dozen issues for various companies myself in the late 90s. A friend of mine in the power sector spent a couple of years reviewing and correcting thousands of lines of software relating to the electric company he works for.

This was just another in a very long line of reasons I'm not pleasant to the majority of the so-called news media. They're not educated on the subjects they're reporting, they don't seem to have much in the way of either critical thinking skills nor investigative ability. They don't take time to familiarize themselves with their topic. They're focused on riveting eyeballs so that ads can be sold - not getting it right nor in following up.
Old 2009-01-20, 17:34   Link #71
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No... the "millenium bug" was real. What people were scammed with was all the media and press idiots who made a lot of money selling reams of magazines, television news, and newspapers scaring the hell out of people about it. Many man-hours were spent in industry fixing virtually all the meaningful problems before the clock struck midnight.

The press simply never reported it because it seems quiet success is not newsworthy. I probably corrected a dozen issues for various companies myself in the late 90s. A friend of mine in the power sector spent a couple of years reviewing and correcting thousands of lines of software relating to the electric company he works for.

This was just another in a very long line of reasons I'm not pleasant to the majority of the so-called news media. They're not educated on the subjects they're reporting, they don't seem to have much in the way of either critical thinking skills nor investigative ability. They don't take time to familiarize themselves with their topic. They're focused on riveting eyeballs so that ads can be sold - not getting it right nor in following up.
Exactly. I remember one girl I know making a speech about how Y2K never happened... kind of made me wince.

That said, I remember that the Parliment buildings in Ottawa dimmed their lights as part of their new years celebration around midnight in 1999/2000... I think Canadians kind of did an "oh shit" before realizing it was part of the show. Makes me wonder if one of the program planners did it intentionally.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 03:56   Link #72
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

What Vexx said is just a good example of what I've been saying about preventing instead of waiting and fearing for it to happen.

So what if there's going to be doom coming for us. Wouldn't it be much easier to prevent if there's a date?

A meteor is going to crash in 6 months? Prepare 2 rockets to crash into it first before it crashes into us. You don't have to blow it to pieces, you just have to change it course so slightly that it will not hit us.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 05:00   Link #73
Jill Valentine

If it really is ending let's start a killing spree and rob banks XD
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 05:08   Link #74
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuppy Cake View Post
If it really is ending let's start a killing spree and rob banks XD
...kinda pointless isn't it.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 05:28   Link #75
Jill Valentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
...kinda pointless isn't it.
What do you mean my post or the ending world thing
Old 2009-01-21, 05:30   Link #76
FateAnomaly

I mean if everyone is dying then no point in killing them. You also wouldn't have a chance to use the money you robbed.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 05:35   Link #77
Jill Valentine

FateAnomaly Anyways i would have done something before everything ends, but this thing about end of the world is funny it happened so many times like this before 1999, 6/06/2006 what is it with people they just make people panic when nothings happening, i think they like making ppl scare, some kind of a new hobby for them O.o it's pointless believing this
Old 2009-10-17, 14:52   Link #78
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88

Old 2009-10-17, 15:39   Link #79
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Cracked.com's article about the 2012 apocalypse predictions is rather illuminating.

Frankly, looking forward, if we're going to be wiped out by something other than a competing sentient race or a supernatural event, it will have to take place relatively (on a cosmic scale) soon, before the accelerating advancement of technology puts human civilization beyond the reach of such things. If humans are still around in a billion years, let alone five, I highly doubt we'd let anything harm our homeworld, and by that point it would most likely be a matter of letting it happen.
Old 2009-10-17, 16:04   Link #80
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Anyone else notice how the date on the thread title is wrong?

Anyways, I don't really believe in any of this end of the world hype. It happened three times in the past in 1999, 2000 with the Y2K and then June 6, 2006 for obvious reasons. Nothing happened. However, when you take a look at some things written in Revelation, then it makes you wonder because a lot of things add up, although they could be rejected as mere coincidence, which is what I'm doing. And a lot of people misinterpret the sentence "end of the world."

For all we know, what may happen is not the physical end of humanity, but rather a drastic change in the general lifestyle throughout the world due to a change that takes place on a worldwide scale. I'm not suggesting WW3 will happen, but something may happen, but there's no point worrying about something we don't even know about. What may come will come, just live as you always do and be happy with what you have.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse