Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-02-08, 21:53   Link #3461
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There's an idea that subtle changes in air currents are detectable by the "small rodent" parts of our brain (as well as the 'microsound' detection). So the presence of a body or its breathing is enough to jiggle the air around you which your body hairs and skin would notice. But no, I've not seen any research on the phenomenon. And yeah... I've had the experience myself. Even the cat can't hide from me.
The "microsound" explanation sounds compelling (sorry, couldn't resist the lame pun). I do know of one person who had done some apparently credible research into the phenomenon: Mr Vic Tandy, an engineering designer at the University of Coventry in Britain. A self-proclaimed sceptic, he was inspired to explore the physical factors that could have caused some people to experience "paranormal" phenomena. Interestingly, thanks to a fencing foil he had accidentally left in a lab with a newly installed fan, he discovered how infrasound could affect our perception.

Still, I do wonder if it's all just based on sound. I chose to describe the sensation as "electrical" because that is indeed how it sometimes feels: a tingling feeling that runs down the spine.

As for the allusion to "bloodlust", I wouldn't rule it out completely. While it has never been seriously investigated, much less proven, I find it plausible that people who have been constantly exposed to dangerous circumstances would develop heightened sensitivity to incoming physical threats. Maybe adrenalin has something to do with it. Of course, it's possible that such people are just being paranoid; or, worse, they could be suffering from post traumatic disorders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Which isn't that I think electromagnetic fields are an adequate explanation for the phenomenon. Those are, simply, the most reputable lines of study I've thus far found that could be related to the subject. Today, as interesting and occasionally (thus far) inexplicable as they are, those would hardly be considered "real science". Anything else I've found looks more like what we saw Bill Murray doing in the early scenes of "Ghostbusters".
Ah, yes, indeed. The thought of electrical auras had occurred to me but, like you, I'd generally found them to be less than credible. The idea seems more popular with New Age hippies than serious scientists, unfortunately.

Kudos to you, though, for catching the subtext of my question.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 11:59   Link #3462
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Ah, yes, indeed. The thought of electrical auras had occurred to me but, like you, I'd generally found them to be less than credible. The idea seems more popular with New Age hippies than serious scientists, unfortunately.

Kudos to you, though, for catching the subtext of my question.
In fact, the idea of sensing these electrical auras DOES have a scientific concept, it is how your body reacts to it. Similar to the idea of why you don't feel tickled when wearing clothes, or how some girls can actually "feel so natural" wearing a bra a few sizes smaller to make their breasts look bigger, individual sensitivities are subjected to personal perspective : it all depends on whether the brain wants to trigger a reaction or not.

The human brain runs more than a million processes at any given instance and can't possibly keep track of every one of them. Probably why some the new-age hippies are branded as unproductive members of the society because their brain processes don't contribute to it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 21:12   Link #3463
john_kun
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I needs some helps here...

I wants to find out how a vibration measurer (to calculate the impact of traffic loads on roads, or bridges, or buildings) works. Any information still be better than nothing, so pls help =]

I needs from the basic information (such as: what will go where if i have a unit and want to measure the vibration rate of the nearby bridge), to the actual mechanical detail ( "the vibration trigger X inside the unit, which then cause Y to start Z...")..... the wikipedia-ish type of information

Wasted some valuable time but keep hitting the wall, so i needs a push to get going =/

PS: The only things which i got so far is general information on Laser Doppler Vibrometer and Accelerometer (especiallt Piezotronic one). Both could be found in wikipedia or other encyclopedia through
wow math. can't believe people like math. it so boring
john_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 00:27   Link #3464
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_kun View Post
All my jobs have been heavily dependent on math... it can be more exciting when you're using it to solve real problems. But its like a toolkit... gotta have it or you're just waving your arms
Old 2010-02-16, 01:19   Link #3465
ShadowSeed
Split of Alignment

Quote:
But it's so easy once you realize the formulas. I find it easy to remember certain formulas and utilize them in millions different calculations. Knowing three more formulas for example give you nearly unlimited possibilities. Just one line of text for a thousand opportunities. How easy.
Old 2010-02-16, 02:57   Link #3466
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
All my jobs have been heavily dependent on math... it can be more exciting when you're using it to solve real problems. But its like a toolkit... gotta have it or you're just waving your arms
Academic math is one of the most boring subjects I have ever taken. But you are right, I could have scored a whole lot better in Physics if I didn't keep failing math.

There has got to be a way to make this subject more interesting......

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-02-16, 07:21   Link #3467
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
There has got to be a way to make this subject more interesting......
I'll take it you were fed 100 of chapters of "WTF do I need this for??" topics in math.
Old 2010-02-16, 11:31   Link #3468
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I'll take it you were fed 100 of chapters of "WTF do I need this for??" topics in math.
Bingo. I was. For 6 bloody years.

Old 2010-02-16, 11:39   Link #3469
Mon Cheri
nope
*Graphic Designer

Okay, I've been wondering for some time now, but what the heck is does it mean being an "S" mean? I've tried to google it, without result. I've read some manga lately and I've stumbled upon it some times now.

Spoiler for Suki-itte Ii Na yo chapter 9 page 17:

Here, that guy also says his more of an "M". Wooot?

Can someone please tell me?
Mon Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 12:00   Link #3470
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Mathematics is fun... if you enjoy solving puzzles.

That's the conclusion I came to, long ago. I distinctively remember finally grasping how algebraic equations worked — it was a moment of sharp clarity, a "the-stars-are-in-alignment", "Eureka!" moment.

Yes, it sounds corny, I know. This was when I was 13, bear in mind, a time when I was just beginning to wonder why we were doing calculations that seemed to have no relevance to our daily lives. I was more interested in learning about the history and origins — the story — behind the algorithms (I didn't know that's what they are called at the time) than I was about solving meaningless problem sums. My classmate pragmatically told me not to think too much, and focus instead on following the steps given by our teachers.

Therein lies the nub of the problem: most of my classmates were interested in acing their tests, and not about learning per se. I needed a reason for what I was doing; my friends, on the other hand, needed only a 100 per cent score on their report cards. They preferred problems that were clearly defined and contained within set parameters that allowed only one correct answer.

(I think you can see where my long-running disdain for many "engineers" comes from. Some, but not all of them of course, tend to flounder when it comes to lateral thinking.)

The best way to illustrate the problems I had with maths is to refer you to a scene from Studio Ghibli's Only Yesterday, in which little Taeko explained why she couldn't figure out how to divide a fraction by another fraction, much to her elder sister's exasperation.

Old 2010-02-16, 12:15   Link #3471
john_kun
Banned

Quote:
you have a point vexx. math is important and it's more fun to use it in real life situations when it school.

Still I just can't enjoy high course maths.

Still if you are interested in math that is a definite plus in your life. I wish I was.

But I am more interested in social studies, religion , geography, history and some parts of science (not to high level though) and astrology to some extent. that is my forte it seems .

Still it's good to be interested in something. And I mean we all have different tastes to what we find interesting and if we can utilize on those strong point we have bigger chances reaching high in life. or at least decent .

edit. oh and I love studio ghibli creations. those creations are like best creations known to anime world. I'm gonna see them all one day .

oh and sorry dude (above me) but I do not understand spanish that well. I wish I could .
Old 2010-02-16, 12:19   Link #3472
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORAbanchou View Post
Okay, I've been wondering for some time now, but what the heck is does it mean being an "S" mean? I've tried to google it, without result. I've read some manga lately and I've stumbled upon it some times now.

... I got to say that I don't like translations where they use the current slang terms instead of using plain English and then localize the JP-specific terms using (where possible) the Western equivalents.

I've never heard of either 'S' or 'M' in terms of people. Since the character is describing a person, maybe 'S' equals "sadist" and 'M' equals 'masochist"? 'S' could also be "slut" - since the girl character is being described as slutty - but the other term in my mind that starts with 'm' is... rude. I don't suppose you have the original raw image?

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 12:28   Link #3473
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
oh and sorry dude (above me) but I do not understand spanish that well. I wish I could.
Which is just as well. I'd rather not be guilty of linking to a licensed Region 1 product. (Disney owns the home-video release and distribution rights in North America, but has not released the movie to date.)

The gist of the scene is simple: Taeko couldn't understand how division by fractions seemed to produce larger numbers (because the algorithm stipulates that you reverse the divider and multiply the upper and lower rows of numbers to get the answer), when dividing an integer (she used a single apple as an example) turns it into smaller numbers (fractions of a whole).

Taeko, being gifted in other areas, particularly in creative arts, was thinking in concrete terms. She couldn't grasp abstract concepts as easily as her sister, Yaeko. If you ask me, teachers fail their students when they aren't able to put themselves in their students' shoes, to see the world as they do.
Old 2010-02-16, 13:03   Link #3474
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORAbanchou View Post

Spoiler for Suki-itte Ii Na yo chapter 9 page 17:

Looks to me like you're reading a scanlation with REALLY crappy translations. They're referring to "S&M" (sado-masochism) though I doubt the original Japanese dialog tracks much with it.

edit: noticed LynnieS's post and I agree. This sort of translation using such lame slang terms is not good practice. Localization is a tricky art -- and frankly, most attempts I see by scanlators and fansubbers fail miserably.
Old 2010-02-16, 13:04   Link #3475
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Well I LOVE solving puzzles but I don't see myself liking Maths.

Quote:
Which is just as well. I'd rather not be guilty of linking to a licensed Region 1 product. (Disney owns the home-video release and distribution rights in North America, but has not released the movie to date.)

The gist of the scene is simple: Taeko couldn't understand how division by fractions seemed to produce larger numbers (because the algorithm stipulates that you reverse the divider and multiply the upper and lower rows of numbers to get the answer), when dividing an integer (she used a single apple as an example) turns it into smaller numbers (fractions of a whole).

Taeko, being gifted in other areas, particularly in creative arts, was thinking in concrete terms. She couldn't grasp abstract concepts as easily as her sister, Yaeko. If you ask me, teachers fail their students when they aren't able to put themselves in their students' shoes, to see the world as they do.
I never had a problem with mathematics until I reached high school. Trigonometry was the biggest fail I ever encountered because of all the double angle formulae, triple angle formulae, etc we had to memorise. And with the calculus, it was like 50% of the entire maths paper. As for statistics, I can never seem to comprehend what the questions were asking, other than the questions with "using hypothesis testing" and "at what level of significance".

I never understood why my brain filters out memories that don't make sense, so I keep flunking math. I loved Physics but I was never able to get distinction because of the mathematics involved. But I don't blame my teachers, I just give up too easily in life because I don't see the point in working so hard to fail, or doing something I explicitly hate.

As for your disdain with "engineers" you stated in another post, they are the result of our education system. The teachers are not exactly the ones to blame, but their parents : always telling their kids to stay out of trouble by not asking questions, and blindly listen to what the teachers teach.

Unfortunately, I predict that it will pass down to the next generation, and the teachers will continue spoonfeeding the students unless some kid decides to make white trash napalm for a science project, then point out that the phenyl chain present in palmitic acids decrease the burning rate of the gasoline when dissolved in the latter. The teachers' idea of self-preservation in their career is detrimental to the student in his/her later life.

Old 2010-02-16, 13:12   Link #3476
Mon Cheri
nope
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
I don't suppose you have the original raw image?
No, unfortunately not :/ Well anyways, thanks you guys, now I'm not completely clueless
Mon Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 13:14   Link #3477
john_kun
Banned

Quote:

teachers fail and succeed and that is what they do but in the end of the day we thank them for everything they give us through the years .

so now it's illegal to put links to youtube or what? I mean you should be able to show us a link to English subbed version of this clip without getting reported

Last edited by john_kun; 2010-02-16 at 14:43.
Old 2010-02-16, 14:24   Link #3478
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
so now it's illegal to put links to youtube or what? I mean you should be able to show us a link to English subbed version of this clip without getting reported
Animesuki takes a fairly strict line towards links to bootleg material *licensed* for Region 1. A "Fair Use" clip might be passable but since "Fair Use" often gets decided in expensive courts - economically prudent to be safe. TRL's workaround was amusing and made his point about math nicely

Putting a youtube link to an episode of anime that is licensed (be it on Crunchyroll or licensed for DVD) will get you reported and possibly banned. Its pretty clearly written in the forum rules and FAQ.
Old 2010-02-16, 14:45   Link #3479
john_kun
Banned

Quote:
Animesuki takes a fairly strict line towards links to bootleg material *licensed* for Region 1. A "Fair Use" clip might be passable but since "Fair Use" often gets decided in expensive courts - economically prudent to be safe. TRL's workaround was amusing and made his point about math nicely

Putting a youtube link to an episode of anime that is licensed (be it on Crunchyroll or licensed for DVD) will get you reported and possibly banned. Its pretty clearly written in the forum rules and FAQ.
hmm indeed I would believe that. but what about not the whole ep just one clip? or are they all so licensed that it can't be done. if so why was he allowed to put up Spanish one?

and what is region 1?

Last edited by john_kun; 2010-02-16 at 17:12.
Old 2010-02-16, 15:08   Link #3480
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's no such thing as "shades of licensing". It is either licensed for a country in a region or it isn't. TRL was just being safe as some license holders are pretty tacky about even clips of their stuff being used. "Not worth the trouble" is the best phrase until the USA get some changes into the laws on licensing, copyright, and the DMCA laws.

About Regions: The entertainment cartel has divided the world up into six regions. Here's a map of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code. DVDs are often encoded only to play on players sold in a particular region. Region 1 is the US/Canada. The Spanish speaking areas are in Region 4 and a bit of Region 2. Japan is in Region 2 also... which can be confusing.

The Blu-ray region encoding is entirely different: It has 3 regions - Region A contains releases from United States, Canada and Asian nations such as Japan, Korea and Hong Kong. I keep hoping Japanese blu-ray releases will start adding english subtitles

Most often... when something is said to be "licensed" - the writer really means it has been licensed by a copyright holder in countries that reside in Region 1 (e.g. Funimation or ADV).

Animesuki worries most about Region 1 licensing where many licensing rights holders take a dim view of almost anyone for any reason. Some websites completely ignore such things... but Animesuki has historically tried to stay in a light grey zone on the matter of licensing.

... yes, the world is a complicated mess

Tags
problem, q&a, serious