AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-13, 08:44   Link #261
Sol Falling

lol, I'm pretty sure that Soushi himself is completely serious and that that is what Ririchiyou is grateful for. However, for us the audience Soushi's overdramatic behaviour is clearly something to be taken humourously.

My own perspective is that Ririchiyou's character right now is sort of boring, and I would be glad if this manga turned off some of its slow shoujo tones and turned into a battle manga using all of their demon powers, lol. I think after the next two or three episodes is about when I got bored and dropped the manga, lol. Seeing as quite a lot of manga readers have said that the story eventually changes/expands quite dramatically, I'll be willing to try sticking around a bit longer this time around, however.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 08:48   Link #262
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
I see.... but what is she grateful for then, if he is says that only as a spoof and she doesnt take it seriously?
I meant the audience is supposed to find it funny but his feelings are real (personaly it gets on my nerves after a while)
She was really more creeped out than anything at first,what really got to her was his speech to the guys that were making fun of her at the party,and that speech was more down to earth in its delivery than the norm.
Nothing forced him to do this,she had just fired him afterall.

In fact looking back at your comment

Quote:
they would show us some deep plot development in which her past causes her to take wrong decisions and doubt him, but he would stick to her no matter what and prove himself to her.
While it wasn't as extreme that pretty much what episode 3 was.

She didn't take him seriously,doubted him,fired him and he came back out of nowhere at the party which to her proved that he truly cared for her.

Last edited by totoum; 2012-02-13 at 10:18.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 09:56   Link #263
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
So the InuBoku is trying to be sarcastic about fanservice*, and does not really have some kind of serious plot

* that is not limited to ecchi fanservice (like horizon), but has nothing to do with ecchi being integral to the plot (like nise-)

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-02-13 at 09:59. Reason: clarification
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 10:12   Link #264
julez
Tsundere-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Well she was really more creeped out than anything at first,what really got to her was his speech to the guys that were making fun of her at the party,and that speech was more down to earth in its delivery than the norm.
That's basically it. It was at that point she realized that his dedication to her is genuine and not forced out of obligation. He was relieved of his duty so he was not required to defend her, but he did anyway showing that his feelings are real.
She's grateful to have somebody that cares so much for her and not her family's money and status.
Sorinozuka is the same way. He cares for her and not her wealth, but I suppose because he's such a laid back onii-san it's not the same
Old 2012-02-13, 11:20   Link #265
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
I meant to write the same thing a few times, but then thought better of it. The show seems popular and I cant phantom why.
~260 posts by episode 5 now counts as "more popular than it deserves" these days? o_o And here I was lamenting how short the thread was.

Watching a show despite disliking it? Masochistic indeed!

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdreavius View Post
Now when will you guys get around to translating the rest of the manga chapters so the rest of the world can enjoy the whiplash as well?
Working on it. There is so much I can not contribute to the discussion right now, it's almost painful. ^^;; Let me just say that, as is often the case with unfinished anime, a lot of the complaints will be addressed later. Some won't be addressed until a second season, though...
Old 2012-02-13, 12:33   Link #266
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I meant the audience is supposed to find it funny but his feelings are real (personaly it gets on my nerves after a while)
She was really more creeped out than anything at first,what really got to her was his speech to the guys that were making fun of her at the party,and that speech was more down to earth in its delivery than the norm.

In fact looking back at your comment

While it wasn't as extreme that pretty much what episode 3 was.

She didn't take him seriously,doubted him,fired him and he came back out of nowhere at the party which to her proved that he truly cared for her.
Thanks for explaining that. I see your point although when I said deep plot, I meant something a bit .... hmm deeper than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
~260 posts by episode 5 now counts as "more popular than it deserves" these days?
I never said "more popular than it deserves" .... all I said is that I cant phantom why it is popular, because in my eyes, there is no subtsance. I wouldnt go as far as to say I hate the show, otherwise I would have stopped watching it..... and indeed I was contemplating why I keep watching a show, that makes me yawn. I probably will stop, but until then, please leave me the right to express my thoughts here.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 13:38   Link #267
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
So the InuBoku is trying to be sarcastic about fanservice*, and does not really have some kind of serious plot
I don't read the manga or novel? So I don't know, but solely from the anime
Spoiler:
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 13:49   Link #268
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Thanks for explaining that. I see your point although when I said deep plot, I meant something a bit .... hmm deeper than that.
I see where you're coming from,maybe we'll get that later.

Quote:
I never said "more popular than it deserves" .... all I said is that I cant phantom why it is popular
But it isn't popular,at least not on this forum,so why complain about it being popular if it isn't?
Old 2012-02-13, 14:26   Link #269
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
I don't read the manga or novel? So I don't know, but solely from the anime
Spoiler:
Dunno, it's supposed to be 12 episodes and we're almost half way without anything close to what you described (i.e. plot) taking place... only implied

Anyway, I guess it's time to quit complaining about another anime, and wait for the fanart and doujinshi that will pick up the interesting elements of what I have seen thus far
Old 2012-02-13, 18:43   Link #270
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
I probably will stop, but until then, please leave me the right to express my thoughts here.
Never said you couldn't; I was merely expressing my surprise at your definition of "popular". If you'd like the right to express your opinions then I have the right to debate them, do I not?

I suppose I may as well pipe down until more gets animated. Not much to say when everyone else is speculating in all different directions.
Old 2012-02-13, 19:30   Link #271
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've made a characters/seiyuus page for this show, with pics of the charcters and their seiyuus, and a bit of info about each seiyuu.

When I started watching this show, I expected it to be dreck and that I would quickly drop it. But I have enjoyed every episode. Not for anything like plot, which is not what I seem to enjoy in anime, but for the two main characters and the modalities of their odd relationship. And mainly for Ririchiyo, who is the unusual tsundere who realizes she is one. Her often unsuccessful efforts to resist her habits, and her conflicted depth of feeling I find enjoyable. The difficulty of breaking an ingrained habit is something real.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 16:04   Link #272
Ray
Garnet

Personally, I like this show so far. Souchi x Riri for the win! They just have to somehow get rid of Kagerou; I just don't know if it'll be possible to do in what's left of the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
This is not a plot spoiler, it's more of a meta note about the structure of the story. I don't know if that's still against the rules. If it is, someone can remove it, I guess.
Spoiler for Manga:
Spoiler for Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
When I started watching this show, I expected it to be dreck and that I would quickly drop it. But I have enjoyed every episode. Not for anything like plot, which is not what I seem to enjoy in anime, but for the two main characters and the modalities of their odd relationship. And mainly for Ririchiyo, who is the unusual tsundere who realizes she is one. Her often unsuccessful efforts to resist her habits, and her conflicted depth of feeling I find enjoyable. The difficulty of breaking an ingrained habit is something real.
This. You took the words right out of my mouth.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 02:35   Link #273
00Coyote

I broke a personal rule that I've long tried to keep.

I read the source manga of a currently airing show that I enjoy. I'll find out if I should regret this action latter in the season. Keeping all spoilers aside, I want to talk about the author of this series Fujiwara Kokoa.

She has a very peculiar style of writing. I haven't read enough manga to say her style is unique, but it is different from the usual approach. In terms of characters, settings and overall story setup, it is all pretty generic. What make her peculiar is how she creates tension, and more specifically, how she resolves that tension and drama. She does not take the most obvious path.

Trying not to go TL;DR on this. lets start with an example.
Spoiler for The usual approach, as demonstrated by Ano Natsu de Matteru episode 6:

Spoiler for The unusual approach. Inu X Boku episode 3:

What make Fujiwara's approach different. at least in my opinion, is that she did not take the easy route in her setup. It would have been quite easy to set it up as "Ririchiyo sees Sparkles as a potential love interest, sees him cheating on her already, his blood shal quench my wrath."

Instead we get the following. "Ririchiyo sees Sparkles kiss Random Woman, shock mixed with what may be jealousy, but she feels betrayed that he is able to so nonchalantly manipulate the emotions of others while hiding his true feelings behind a mask of kindness. Memories of how she was raised immediately drive home the point. Ririchiyo is left in a desperate scramble to determine if the words and kindness Sparkles has given her, words she treasures greatly, are they genuine, or is he just toying with her emotions like he did to Random Woman?"

Granted, the narrative mode between these two stories is not the same, and we have unlimited access to Ririchiyo's thoughts that add some heft to a setup that might otherwise be too subtle to notice. The approach and finesse with how these two similar situations are handled is on a completely different level. Also, while the typical approach is to drag this out for 26 FREAKIN EPISODES, Fujiwara resolves it almost immediately. Not resolved as in 'and they lived happily ever after.' but the characters learn, change and grow just a bit.

Fujiwara seems to delight in setting up what would be a stock standard situation, then either blow it off in comedic fashion or have the characters resolve it in a *gasp* rational manner. I assume many who see this behavior, as the characters casually mow down standard drama tropes, write it off as "Feh, there's no drama or story in this stupid show. Just another short wrathful tsundere. Blah Blah fanservice. Something Something nothing happened. etc. etc." I find her approach highly enjoyable, that along with her quirky characters interacting in a quirky way, make for a nice relaxed read. And Ririchiyo is too cute.

All that being said, I really hope David Productions can pull off such a character driven show. Fujiwara crafted a very interesting story, I really hope they find the finesse to tell it properly. If they keep using flashbacks as a crutch, it won't be pretty.

Begin Sarcasm, and because it is late and I'm a bit delirious

Remember kids, here is the typical way to evaluate a show.
explosions = plot development
someone goes full bore emo = deep character
tits and ass = plot
people die = story progression
MC does something pants on head stupid = character growth

Going by that, Inu X Boku SS has carboard boring characters, no story, with just a little bit of plot every now and then.
End Sarcasm
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 07:08   Link #274
Malkuth
Banned

^ Not that I generally disagree, but some plot structures are overused because they work. But you raised an interesting point. I can agree that not only in the example you brought, indeed there is an innovative approach to create romantic tension, the problem is that there is no followup. Nice idea, nice execution, but there is no continuation, rather repetition.

As for the sarcastic part... tits and ass = plot? well I guess that's a reaction to the common misconception that tights and ass force the absence of plot, which only makes some vocal groups feel less guilty about their own deficiencies.
Old 2012-02-16, 16:30   Link #275
Sumeragi
Banned

- Episode 6 was such a cute one, with yuri vibrations, revelation of Ririchiyou's panties, the enlightened senses of Karuta ("Cooking is about seeing the possibilities clearly") and her eternally hungry body (all those snacks, and the pile of curry), the denials of Ririchiyou (after taking off her MEGANE) to the possibility of love and the meditation scene (and her exclamation that got everyone's attention), and KARUTA'S SMILE.

- The ED, sweets parade, was perfect, with all the face service you can ever want.

- Nobara's wild imagination during the preview is just like what she would have

- The episode should shed some light on how the inherited blood factors into the lives of the characters.

- What still amazes me is how Ririchiyou seems to be eating almost only Japanese-style meals at home.

I need to add more rooms to my home, and make sure my fridge is stocked. I'll be taking Ririchiyo, Karuta, and Nobara home!
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 16:44   Link #276
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Interesting episode this was since Karatau was one of those odd ball characters that I took some interest in.

By the way, what kind of mythical creature is she suppose to be? A skeletal demon?

D'awww Watanuki is so adorable when he's in his feral form. I can't help but feel so warm and fuzzy inside whenever I see him trying to act like a tough guy in that form, lol. I just wanna pet and pinch those big round cheeks like I do with me cat.
Old 2012-02-16, 16:46   Link #277
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
By the way, what kind of mythical creature is she suppose to be? A skeletal demon?
A Gashadokuro.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 17:21   Link #278
Misdreavius

Well this is definitely one of those shows you watch for the character interactions, cuteness and interesting archetypes. Not every show has to be filled with PLOT and unlimited character backstorying. This show is just doing things differently...... for now as I know and expect heavy character development later on in the anime.

As for episode 6, Karuta and Watanuki make such a cute couple. And that ED was the cutest thing I've seen since forever.
Misdreavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 17:47   Link #279
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Ep6 was fairly fluffy and awkward, but I enjoyed it anyway -- for the characters and the way they interact, as Misdreavius says. Hidaka Rina's Ririchiyo continues to be fascinating. And Hanazawa Kana gets a chance here to renew her claim to the title of "moe-est voice in anime." Nice to hear that voice again. Miyano Mamoru's schtick here is good, too.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 18:28   Link #280
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

It was amusing to watch Karuta doing stuffs in her own pace in the first few minutes of the episode. Her interaction with every character made me smile so much. lol. Ririchiyo's conclusion on her irregular heartbeat made me chuckly. To think she actually said it out loud like that. XD

Ah~ I'd like to pet Watanuki too. I wonder if there's going to be a plush of him... it'd be really nice to have for sure.

Can't wait for next week. Seems like it will feature the yuki-onna and Sorinozuka.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, shounen