AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-27, 19:09   Link #1
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
PS3 RPG Recommendations?

I recently picked up a used PS3, mostly to play Blu-rays and DVDs, since my PS2 is nearing the end of it's life. But also to keep playing my old PS1 and PS2 games (which I do fairly often).

However, I've thought about picking up a PS3 RPG or two, and am looking for some recommendations. I typically prefer the more JRPG types, like the old Final Fantasy series (Pre X), and not so much the SKyrim type of open exploratory games. Tales of Vesperia was recommended to me, and it looks good... but found out the English version is apparently Xbox360 only. Decided to pick up Star Ocean: The Last Hope International, since it was cheap (only $20).

Any other good ones out there I may be missing?

From my own poking around, Enchanted Arms seems to look decent, as does Atelier Rorona (I am a sucker for anime-looking RPGs). Any others? I like a good journey through a decent world, on an epic storyline, but battles have to be fun and interesting, too.

Oh, and not so much looking at Corridor Fantasy 13 (FF13) right now, though if I get desperate, I may resort to it, heh.
Old 2012-01-27, 19:13   Link #2
iceyfw

definitely Valkyria Chronicles. other games coming off the top of my head are
  • eternal sonata
  • resonance of fate
  • catherine
Old 2012-01-27, 19:17   Link #3
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Ar Tonelico Qoga is another I'd recommend. There's also a Disgaea or two I believe, and a Rune Factory for some more kick-back-and-relax gameplay.
Old 2012-01-27, 19:22   Link #4
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Eternal Sonata
Catherine (though it's not a straight RPG)

I'd also give Dark Souls/Demon Souls a try. It's not a JRPG, but it is japanese, and a very innovative game.

Unfortunately, the present generation of games is not great for high standard JRPGs
Old 2012-01-27, 19:25   Link #5
Kaijo
Banned

I was kinda looking at Eternal Sonata, too. Seemed fairly decent, but was unsure about all the music stuff.

Resonance of Fate and Catherine kinda turned me off. I don't particularly care for the gun battle system of the former, nor the puzzle action of the latter.

I heard of Ar Tonelico, but I thought there was only a PS2 game of that name. Looks like there is a PS3 one, too. Should I pick up and play the other ones for story purposes? Or are they not really connected?

I did play the original Disgaea, but have since dropped it, after I left my tactical RPG phase. Pretty much only interested in standard story JRPGs now.
Old 2012-01-27, 19:37   Link #6
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Ar Tonelico Qoga is my recommendation as well. You'll miss out few of the thingies that connects it and some references if you don't play the original games. Nothing major if you ask me. Try out Valkyria Chronicles and Record of Agarest War too. Atelier Rorona and upcoming Meruru are nice too, if you're into that sort of games. Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2 is on it's way, so you should check that as well.
Old 2012-01-27, 19:37   Link #7
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

It is unfortunate that the JRPG lineup isn't great for PS3. I'd definitely give Dark Souls a go, though it's not a standard JRPG experience.

The only top tier JRPG of the current gen is probably Xenoblade on the Wii, which you could try emulating.

Valkyria chronicles is also good, though not without faults.
Old 2012-01-27, 19:38   Link #8
Ray
Garnet

Nier. It is hands down my favorite JRPG. Outstanding soundtrack; easily the best I have ever heard. Fantastic characters, and an amazing story which requires 2-3 playthroughs to fully understand. The graphics are somewhat dated, but it's very easy to overlook that.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are definitely worth checking out if difficult and action orientated games are your cup of tea. Those two games are actually not as hard as most people make them out to be; it's all about getting used to the idea that you must take your time and approach every corner with your shield up. Both games are rather lacking in plot; what they lack in that aspect they make up for up in lore and atmosphere.

I'll also second Ar Tonelico Qoga. Now, what most people are put off by in this game is the fanservice. As the main heroines remove more and more layers of clothing, they grow stronger. If you can look past that, you'll be in for a treat with glorious Hymns and the heart-warming story. Qoga is the final game in the trilogy; you don't need to have played the first two games in order to understand it, but some characters return as cameos and some events are made reference to.

There's the Atelier Series (Atelier Rorona, Totori, and Meruru). It’s an alchemy heavy JRPG with time management elements.

I feel like I should mention Hyperdimension Neptunia even though it isn't all that great of a game. It is essentially a parody of the game industry, and the main character is the personification of the failed Sega Neptune. It falls flat in a lot of aspects, but the characters and the interactions they have with each other are great. It's a love it or hate it kind of a game. Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 is being released on the 24th of next month, and I'd recommend getting that instead as the second game is not only set in a different universe but is also a complete overhaul.

If you want to know more about any of the above games, let me know.

Last edited by Ray; 2012-01-27 at 19:49. Reason: Fixing mah grammar.
Old 2012-01-27, 19:39   Link #9
iceyfw

i forgot to mention there is also tales of graces:F coming out in NA 3/13/2012. other tales game for the PS3 might follow for localization depending on how well it sells.
Old 2012-01-27, 19:58   Link #10
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

On PSN, you can buy Final Fantasy V through Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy Tactics. No FF IV, though. There is also Chrono Trigger and other PS1 RPG classics, like Suikoden I and Grandia. I think Valkyrie Profile, too. Be warned about FF VI and Chrono Trigger on PSN, though. They are the PSOne versions, complete with load times and slowdown (I know FF VI PSX has slowdown, I don't know about CT). If you own a Wii, you can get the superior SNES versions of both games, plus Final Fantasy IV (but FF VI will be FF III in the SNES category of VC, and FF IV will be FF II in the SNES category of VC).
Old 2012-01-27, 20:08   Link #11
Renya

atelier series - i personally love the whole thing, every game has a loveable character. Currently only Rorona and Totori is out but Meruru is coming out soon and i can't wait for that myself
nier - underestimated game tbh, has one of the best soundtrack and its mega cheap now 2nd hand. A nice hack and slash game with a good story.
Tales of grace f - what can i say, it's tales lol. If you was disappointed with vesperia being xbox only then this one is being released soon in the us on the ps3.
Valkyria Chronicles - a great story line game which awesome play style. Turn base fps.
Disgaea 3 - if you like turn base games then this would be a good one to play on the ps3
Old 2012-01-27, 21:37   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Be warned about FF VI and Chrono Trigger on PSN, though. They are the PSOne versions, complete with load times and slowdown (I know FF VI PSX has slowdown, I don't know about CT).
They both have slow menu screens in their PS1 incarnations. It's rather annoying. VI is my nominee for the game most worth remaking, but we're getting X to start with it appears.

I know you excluded Western RPG's like Skyrim, but I'll nevertheless suggest giving Dragon Age a try. It has a terrific script. I enjoy putting characters into my party that don't like each other all that much just to hear the conversations that they engage in as we walk along. I have to admit I also enjoy seducing the available fellow characters. Dragon Age 2 is distinctly less compelling, though still decent. After having played about 20 hours or so of Skyrim, I'm getting tired of dungeon crawling.

Let me also endorse FF XII which is also a PS2 game. The amount of content they compact onto one DVD is truly stunning. I didn't like the story as much as some other FFs, but I like the whole "gambit" system. Dragon Age has a similar approach, though the number of events and conditions is much larger than FF gambits. I thought XIII was pretty boring, and I hated the return to mashing the X button after using gambits in XII.

Anyone who hasn't played Chrono Cross should definitely add that to their lists. (I believe it's also on PSN.) Despite it being a PS1 game, it's boasts stunning artwork and a haunting score. While Cross is putatively a sequel to Chrono Trigger, there's only a weak tie between the two games. I played them out of order and only realized after the fact that Chrono, Marle, and Lucca appear briefly in Cross.

Finally I have to mention the Shadow Hearts series, particularly the second game, Shadow Hearts: Covenant. Again I played the sequel before the original and didn't feel like I had missed all that much. The first game is pretty good as well; the third game, set in 1930's America, isn't really worth the investment, though.
Old 2012-01-27, 22:54   Link #13
HarimaHario
i eat glue

I'd wait for FF13 Versus. In the mean time just stick to PS2 RPG's.

I've played all games that's been suggested and the only one I enjoyed are Valkyrie Chronicle, Demon/Dark Souls, and Disgaea 3 (played 1 & 2 and love 'em). The rest are either mediocre or crap.

It would help if you'd list some of your favorite RPGs you've played as well.

Off Topic: I will pick up Tales of Graces: F and hopefully they'll make enough sales to port Tales of Xillia over to US.
Old 2012-01-27, 23:14   Link #14
Kaijo
Banned

Valkyria Chronicles - looked at it, but I typically don't like guns in my rpg's. I'm more of an old school swords and magic guy.

Nier - Well, let me just say that the last action RPG I played was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (which I loved). I don't have a real inclination to play such games nowadays, as I prefer inputting commands and watching my strategy play out. Well, I also played Kingdom Hearts, but I feel that was a special case as well. I'm not sure I'd buy a game like that today. Which is odd, because I used to like the Zelda series, but now don't care to play the newer games. Perhaps because I fear I lack the finger dexterity I had in my youth, heh.

Previous games I've played and liked:
Final Fantasy 1 through 12 (liked 1 through 6 best)
Wild Arms 1, 2, and 3 (which will seem strange, given my statement about guns above; and while I liked 1 and 2 most, my enthusiasm for the series dropped with 3)
Lunar 1 and 2
Legend of Legaia 1 and 2
Saga Frontier 1 and 2
Grandia 1 and 2 (loved first one, felt the second was a step-down, which killed my interest in the series)
Valkyrie Profile (found it so-so)
Dragon Quest/Warrior 1 through 8 (8 was nearly the perfect RPG in my opinion)

I suppose I could amend my original suggestion to add PS2 RPG's, as upon further research, it appears I've missed a few. Ar Tonelico series being one, which I'll check out. And Tales of Grace F I'll most likely pick up when it comes out.
Old 2012-01-28, 01:49   Link #15
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Unfortunately the JRPG market is very small for the Western audience.

Luckily though, Tales of Graces F will be coming out in a month or two. If Tales of Vesperia looks alluring to you, you can save yourself the money and get that instead.
Old 2012-01-28, 02:08   Link #16
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I'm currently playing White Knight Chronicles, the gameplay is good and there is a story (however predictable). Although it's an RPG, it carries that Monster Hunter vibe of gathering materials, moving around in a huge world and fighting enemies many feet taller than you. Has a multiplayer feature too, although I'm playing solo.
Old 2012-01-28, 07:28   Link #17
Undertaker

Everyone pretty much named all of JRPGs.

For upcoming, definitely looking forward to Tale of Grace F and Ni no Kuni
Old 2012-01-28, 08:10   Link #18
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

For PS2, there is of course Persona 3 and 4. Both are extremely good, and you didn't mention that you played them.

I'd play 3 first, as after playing 4 you'll find elements of 3 annoying. There's a PS3 version of 3, or you can play Persona 3 FES. Either is good.
Old 2012-01-28, 08:52   Link #19
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Eternal Sonata is a good game. Some might argue that it has mediocre story and easy gameplay, but damn it was fun Also Tales series..though I think you need to wait for a while for that if you can't speak Japanese

Dark Soul/Demon Soul is good too if you want some challenge. About Resonance of Fate...I've never finished it because my BD disappeared when I went to college ._. It's pretty hard at the beginning but some say it become very easy at the middle.

Old 2012-01-28, 12:08   Link #20
Zakoo

So personally I have :

Agarest war 1 and zero, trinity universe, Eternel Sonata.

There's also Disgaea 4, with an endless lifespan, so you can play it until you are 50.

For the japense RPG like final fantasy, that's the only thing I can think off.
Closed Thread