AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Aquarion EVOL - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 7 18.92%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 18.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 32.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 13.51%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 10.81%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-15, 13:44   Link #81
Korps!
Ikarechimattaze!

Quote:
There's too many questions, and not enough answers
Check Fudo in episode 17. I hope the guy will die from a donut overdose.
Old 2012-05-15, 13:44   Link #82
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
My impression is that in Okada's mind she considers it poor writing to not develop every supporting cast member to his/her full potential. While such a thing sounds great in theory, it's only great in practice if it doesn't come at the expense of the main characters.
While my experience with Okada's works is very limited, this does seem to be the case. :/ Such a pity.
Old 2012-05-15, 13:48   Link #83
miketyson

Okada's the best writer with diction and word choice control I can think of working in anime. Not the most eloquent or writing the most inspired dialog, but she's really good about "reserving" words or phrases for specific purposes, and then using those reserved words to tie together scenes across longish spans of running time.

That's her strong point. Beyond that? I'm not seeing that much in the stuff of hers I've seen that'd really be enough to justify her popularity and reputation. As I think I've said before her skills seem better suited to writing fiction.
Old 2012-05-15, 15:40   Link #84
mayumi

I don't understand why Kawamori himself just request his writers to focus on plot and main characters or did he intend the main four to lack focus and development. I don't understand why Zessica still has to be part of any triangle. They can just let her move on.
Old 2012-05-15, 17:00   Link #85
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
I don't understand why Kawamori himself just request his writers to focus on plot and main characters or did he intend the main four to lack focus and development. I don't understand why Zessica still has to be part of any triangle. They can just let her move on.
I don't see why Zessica had to be part of any triangle in the first place. In fact, I'm not even sure why she is IN this show anymore.
We know nothing about her, her plot with Amata basically went nowhere because he was never interested nor did he care for her as a friend any more than he would for, say, Sazanka... the only significant thing to the plot I can think of is whatever Mikage did to her. Which makes her a glorified plot device with the name of "main character". She must be the least developed lead in anime of the last decade...
Obviously all of her backstory may get thrown at us in the last couple of episodes, but come on. They literally haven't revealed a thing about her, family, past, interests, nada. Either there's some really good reason or it's a case of writing so bad, I can't wrap my head around it.
The saddest part is, she was the most interesting character of this show at first...
Old 2012-05-15, 17:16   Link #86
kuromitsu

I've been wondering about Zessica from the moment it became obvious that the main triangle was to be the AMK one. There must be a plot reason behind it, possibly connected to the reincarnations. I expect her to be the focus of a big twist at which point the writing will go "SURPRISE!! FOOLED YOU ALL ALONG!" like it did with Kagura's reverse power.

...but yeah, that doesn't change the fact that we know nothing about her and she's been so one-note lately it's painful.
Old 2012-05-15, 17:22   Link #87
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
If they do a reveal that's totally out of left field and pretty shocking, there's a very good chance it'll involve Zessica.

It's the only justification I can see for keeping her background so incredibly shrouded for this long in spite of how she's supposed to be a major character of importance.

The only other alternative is just plain bad writing, period.
Old 2012-05-15, 17:32   Link #88
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

I think Zessica is Touma and that's why she is part of the love triangle.
Mr. Homolust became Ms straight. That is my opinion personally.

Although Mykage could be Touma also?
Old 2012-05-15, 17:39   Link #89
miketyson

Zessica: what a frustrating character she's turned out to be. Six episodes left to make her or break her. The thing that stands out is no matter how bad she's feeling she's always written to have pure motives. Even with Mykage's meddling she's cooperating against her will, and each episode makes sure to show her expressing sincere concern for Amata's well being, etc...this makes me think she must be getting set up for something cruel and twisted, but predicting this show is very hard, you know, ?

That said, I think some of Okada's wording may've tipped Zessica's fate *slightly*, but it's flimsy evidence at the moment. If it goes that way I'll point it out to you guys.
Old 2012-05-15, 19:34   Link #90
mayumi

They could have Zessica her own pairing like Mix/Yunoha/Cayenne have. It could have been really popular and good for their rating and DVD selling point But nope she is stuck in some stupid one sided love triangle. I get the whole "you weren't chosen, like me" comment from Mikage but compared to say Touma, Zessica is not really twisted even if her powers are
I wouldn't even mind if she was Rena cause that is one character from Genesis I thoroughly miss.
Old 2012-05-15, 19:56   Link #91
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:
They could have Zessica her own pairing like Mix/Yunoha/Cayenne have. It could have been really popular and good for their rating and DVD selling point But nope she is stuck in some stupid one sided love triangle. I get the whole "you weren't chosen, like me" comment from Mikage but compared to say Touma, Zessica is not really twisted even if her powers are
I wouldn't even mind if she was Rena cause that is one character from Genesis I thoroughly miss.
Zessica is one of the 3 pilots who were on the last ride of the Aquarion. Touma, Apollon, and Sylvie.

But still, still all of Kawamori's recent shows are powered by http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...PremiseOnDrugs

Idol Genre + Drugs = AKB0048
Old 2012-05-15, 20:13   Link #92
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xezexal View Post
I think Zessica is Touma and that's why she is part of the love triangle.
Mr. Homolust became Ms straight. That is my opinion personally.

Although Mykage could be Touma also?
I admittedly never watched Genesis of Aquarion, although I might do so soon since a lot of the more interesting discussions/speculations go back to it via reincarnation speculation.

Anyway, I decided to read up on Toma here, likely spoiling myself a bit in the process, but curiosity did get the best of me.

Well, based on what I read there, if Amata is Apollonius's reincarnation, then it does fit rather nicely in many ways for Zessica to be Toma's reincarnation. Maybe Mykage was just some random Shadow Angel back during Toma's time that looked up to Toma and shared many of Toma's goals? That would make the dynamics between Mykage/Zessica pretty interesting.
Old 2012-05-15, 20:19   Link #93
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I admittedly never watched Genesis of Aquarion, although I might do so soon since a lot of the more interesting discussions/speculations go back to it via reincarnation speculation.

Anyway, I decided to read up on Toma here, likely spoiling myself a bit in the process, but curiosity did get the best of me.

Well, based on what I read there, if Amata is Apollonius's reincarnation, then it does fit rather nicely in many ways for Zessica to be Toma's reincarnation. Maybe Mykage was just some random Shadow Angel back during Toma's time that looked up to Toma and shared many of Toma's goals? That would make the dynamics between Mykage/Zessica pretty interesting.
OVA version of Mykage was killed by a Mugen punch, Anime version became good and tried to be as friendly as possible with Apollo.
If the the people who saved earth via Aquarion are the Harbingers of the Love triangle, than Gender Bent galore.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...PremiseOnDrugs = Kawamori
Old 2012-05-15, 22:29   Link #94
mayumi

I prefer Zessica to not be Touma simply because I hope she can move on from Amata which Touma never could. And there is that ending picture of her paired up with book. I don't believe Touma was part of the book of Genesis book in first series.
Old 2012-05-15, 22:43   Link #95
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:
I prefer Zessica to not be Touma simply because I hope she can move on from Amata which Touma never could. And there is that ending picture of her paired up with book. I don't believe Touma was part of the book of Genesis book in first series.
The book of Genesis doesn't matter in this cycle of reincarnation. The only thing which matters is who were the people in the Aquarion.
Old 2012-05-16, 00:03   Link #96
Vena
Carpe Diem

At this point, none of the pairings are good, of the main cast that is... I'm actually liking the side cast and not complete forgetting of Jin that tends to occur in shows when a character dies.

Mikono is just reaching infuriating levels of balls to the wall logic with how she acts with and around Amata, the need to have Cayenne point out Amata's caring was forgivable but the last episode really whiffed my candle with her expectation of Amata to sit around and wait for her to tell him *stuff*. (The more stunning issue is that they didn't even keep it a secret from the audience, they told us fifteen seconds later with the whole ShuShu inconsistency nonsense that we've already discussed. It's just patent padding if they are playing this pairing straight and it makes me want to strangle a pillow.)

Kagura? Kagura who?

Zessica has been getting 24/7 pure love development over the last five to six episodes (that would have better served to develop the actual main couple in this show that has been sleeping next to Alicia since episode 12) but unless they're going for the deconstruction of the century with Mikono, I cannot see her plot line ending in anything more than death or really, really bittersweet. Amata's just not been shown to care for her in any special way.

Amata's a real trump card at this point and I don't understand how he puts up with all the shit thrown his way. I'd normally expect all his hardship to lead to a snap but this show has been so... inconsistent with episode to episode transitions on characters that its impossible to predict how a character is going to actually react to situation X from the episode prior. At least the majority of his lines are no longer "Mikono-san!" I guess that's an improvement?
Old 2012-05-16, 01:49   Link #97
Zuul

I'll be honest. I really liked the little bit of interaction between Mikono and Kagura, from the stupid lion King wench tossing victory dance to Mikono unknowingly making naughty propositions to Kagura.

But they haven't been interacting enough for him to be the love rival he's supposed to be according to what the promo material is telling us.

He's not in a better position than Zessica, even if AMK is supposed to be the true love triangle, according to Kawamori and co, I just dont see it at all atm.

And what is funny about Zessica is that apart from making my heart bleeds, the way she's shown concerned and caring about Amata makes Mikono's commitment looks bad in comparison (considering she's rarely seen thinking about Amata to begin with), which doesn't help the main romance case at all.

I suppose the best way to appreciate AmataxMikono is to only watch the episodes 1, 2 and 12. If you ignore the rest of the episodes, it's nice.

Last edited by Zuul; 2012-05-16 at 02:04.
Old 2012-05-16, 02:07   Link #98
kuromitsu

Good for me then, I guess, that the quality of the writing usually doesn't influence which characters and pairings I like and find good, so my preferences haven't changed since episode 1. I still like Amata and Mikono a lot, and I still think they're cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Mikono is just reaching infuriating levels of balls to the wall logic with how she acts with and around Amata,
Actually, to me her behavior is starting to make sense. I'm not saying it's handled well, and it would've helped if we could've gotten into her head every now and then in the 20 eps. But from all the recent clues it's now easier to guess, at least where Amata is concerned. (I dunno if the writers are on the same track as I am, though, but I suppose we'll learn soon enough.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
with her expectation of Amata to sit around and wait for her to tell him *stuff*.
Oh, come on, you know that's not what she said. She said "There's something I need to tell you. [I can't tell you now, but] I'll definitely tell you when I come back." And while we don't know what exactly she wants to tell him (for all we know she could dump him for whatever reason), the situation has certain overtones that are kind of hard to ignore. It would take some very special reading to interpret that scene as her saying "wait for me to come back and tell you I like donuts"... Re: Shushu, I still think its behavior makes sense, so... *shrug*

Again, Mikono could've benefited a lot by getting more attention from the writers (seriously, Zessica got how much screentime doing nothing but wangsting her heart out in the most blatant ways, while Mikono got nothing), but I think things are starting to get more clear. Though it seems they planned the "Shushu revelation" to be a surprise of sorts (otherwise why do it this way?).
Old 2012-05-16, 02:13   Link #99
Zuul

The shushu issue wouldn't look inconsistent if Mikono didn't state something about it hating everyone in a previous episode.

And also the fact that it had been physically abusing Amata since their gondola trip. Which means its behaviour toward Amata didn't overcome any evolution as Mikono's feelings had.

It has been clumsily written for as far as I'm concerned.
Old 2012-05-16, 02:18   Link #100
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuul View Post
The shushu issue wouldn't look inconsistent if Mikono didn't state something about it hating everyone in a previous episode.
She didn't "state" it, and anyway, the conversation didn't end there. The flashback in ep 19 was the same conversation where she clarified what she had said earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuul View Post
And also the fact that it had been physically abusing Amata since their gondola trip. Which means its behaviour toward Amata didn't overcome any evolution as Mikono's feelings had.
...you didn't pay attention, did you?
Closed Thread