AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Old 2010-04-02, 18:34   Link #461
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
apparently this is getting trolled and reverse-trolled on both 2ch and 4chan, so I don't think they can be a legitimate source of impressions right now.
Are you insinuating that 2ch/4ch aren't completely authoritative and trustworthy sources of information? J/K

It's kind of funny watching the reaction to this show. It reminds me of the afternoon after an Apple product announcement; people start complaining that there is still disease and poverty in the world, so the product UTTERLY FAILED!
Old 2010-04-02, 19:44   Link #462
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
It reminds me of the afternoon after an Apple product announcement; people start complaining that there is still disease and poverty in the world, so the product UTTERLY FAILED!
It does sort of have that flavour, doesn't it? Hype is a dangerous weapon to wield. And yes, a lot of us saw the inevitable backlash coming from miles away, so it's not surprising.

Regarding the direction, it may at least be worth considering the author's own admission the first episode is mostly to setup the premise, and the sort of "real show" begins in the second episode. Not saying that's an excuse or anything, but it's at least worth considering in terms of giving the show a chance to find its way. (Then again, that's good advice for just about every show; speaking of Haruhi, I remember people's initial reaction when the first episode of that show aired... )
Old 2010-04-02, 21:31   Link #463
musouka

This was surprisingly bad.

It looked and felt really cheap, but without Shaft's stylish excess to cover it up. The jokes all uniformly fell completely flat. The characters felt even flatter than the jokes. Yuri might have talked about the other students being NPCs, but really, half the SSS members felt just as generic--especially the guys.

I don't usually notice things like lip sync and voice acting, but there were a ton of places where the character movement felt entirely off with what the characters were actually doing. Like when Otonashi wakes up from when Tenshi stabbed him, his voice felt frantic while the character's actual movements were sluggish and awkward.

Again, surprisingly bad.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 21:53   Link #464
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

Is this the first time Key didn't collaborate with Kyoani in adaptation of their works? Maybe if Kyoani did this, you guys think will it be better?
Old 2010-04-02, 21:55   Link #465
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave_master16 View Post
Is this the first time Key didn't collaborate with Kyoani in adaptation of their works? Maybe if Kyoani did this, you guys think will it be better?
HELL NO!

It's a new idea, with a new direction and currently, I am loving it (with Aniplex with Jun Maeda). And please...if we had Kyoto Animation doing this, we would have K-ON character designs MK II. And I am tired of KyoAni.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 22:03   Link #466
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

So what's wrong with it? Is it overhype? I'm reading a lot of bad comments about it. Is it really that bad?
Old 2010-04-02, 22:10   Link #467
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
So what's wrong with it? Is it overhype? I'm reading a lot of bad comments about it. Is it really that bad?
It's not the fact that it's really BAD. But I am honestly tired of Kyoto Animation, which anime's popularity has blown out of proportions or being overrated.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 22:11   Link #468
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Give it a few weeks for the hype/counter-hype to settle down and for the show to find its audience. Then you'll know if you should be part of that audience or not.
Old 2010-04-02, 22:17   Link #469
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
This was surprisingly bad.

It looked and felt really cheap, but without Shaft's stylish excess to cover it up. The jokes all uniformly fell completely flat. The characters felt even flatter than the jokes. Yuri might have talked about the other students being NPCs, but really, half the SSS members felt just as generic--especially the guys.
If the light novels are anything to go by, aren't most of the characters supposed to feel "robotic"? For lack of a better word. I remember that Yuri and Otonashi are probably the only characters that should feel human, so far that is. I could be wrong though considering I have yet to watch the first episode. I'll make a judgment after watching it though.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Give it a few weeks for the hype/counter-hype to settle down and for the show to find its audience. Then you'll know if you should be part of that audience or not.
Yeah, relentless is correct. It's episode 1, there are way too many people overreacting to it whether it be a good or bad reaction. Just watch the first episode first and form your own opinion.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2010-04-02 at 22:57. Reason: Scratch that, no subs yet. Someone was being an idiot.
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 22:27   Link #470
Raiga
tl;dr

I have no idea what just happened but I'll watch the sub once it's out and give it a few more episodes before passing judgement.

I really wasn't sure whether to laugh or cringe at some of the "comedic injuries" though. >_O
Old 2010-04-02, 22:58   Link #471
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
I have no idea what just happened but I'll watch the sub once it's out and give it a few more episodes before passing judgement.

I really wasn't sure whether to laugh or cringe at some of the "comedic injuries" though. >_O
I was tricked, it seems like the show isn't subbed yet. I can't believe someone would use troll subs

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-04-02, 23:04   Link #472
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I was tricked, it seems like the show isn't subbed yet. I can't believe someone would use troll subs
What was the troll marked - CoalGuys? I think the Mazui is legit.
Old 2010-04-02, 23:31   Link #473
Click This
CEO of Asia!

Location: 167 East 51st St, New York, NY, 10022 - N40° 45.4097', W073° 58.2709'
Send a message via MSN to Click This
Mazui's legit. Coalguys' 'sub' wasn't on their site, but Mazui's is.

Click This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 23:31   Link #474
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Mazui's seems legit, at least a few seconds in. Too tired to actually watch it tonight to be sure the whole thing is, but it at least starts out as Angel Beats video and audio, with subs.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 23:39   Link #475
DeX-kun

Yeah, Mazui is legit. I'm gonna watch it now, I'll be back with my first impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Yeah, it was CoalGuys. Avoid it.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-04-02, 23:43   Link #476
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
I liked ep1. didn't know about this series beyond the initial poster. The world's mystery sounds interesting.

From the gist of it everyone died and is in Purgatory? Haiben renmai high school edition?
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 00:12   Link #477
Joojoobees

Wow. CoalGuys. They gave up about three minutes before the end, but up until that it was pretty impressive.

My Favorite line:
Spoiler for Episode one:
Old 2010-04-03, 00:20   Link #478
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Soo... this show wants to replace "Railgun" on my saturday morning animu watchlist. What i liked so far... lets see. The Insert Song was okay, the animation that went with it was good. Rest of the Ep... All over the place. The cast sure is big for EP1, but i hope some of them get "killed" soon. Especially the dude with the poleaxe.

So far i like the lead Otonashi, Haruhi and Iwasawa (the red haired girl, i think she sang the insert song?). TK has potential.

EP1 7/10
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 00:27   Link #479
kyosak
poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
So far, watched first 5 min and already Yuri has the SAYA in her! WOO!
Good to know. ^^

This download needs to go faster, lol.
kyosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 00:51   Link #480
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Spoiler for Coalguys IRC status. ( and language ):
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key