AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-07-04, 22:07   Link #1721
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Divorce ceremonies in Japan 'on the rise' after tsunami

The "divorce dress" that is designed to look most beautiful as the woman walks away says it all.

I would have liked to see government statistics on divorce rates since the earthquake before jumping to the conclusion that this rise in "divorce ceremonies" reflects a new-found Japanese awareness of the fragility of life.

After reading this article, contested Japanese divorce proceedings sound horrid, especially if you're the husband.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 22:19   Link #1722
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I would have liked to see government statistics on divorce rates since the earthquake before jumping to the conclusion that this rise in "divorce ceremonies" reflects a new-found Japanese awareness of the fragility of life.
Shouldn't awareness on the fragility of life cause more marriages, not anti-marriages? I mean, it seems like something that would make you want to be with someone, to have someone with you, to maybe do something "life affirming" (as Scrubs put it)...

I guess if we see a rise in love hotel usage or something then it might have basis, but otherwise...
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 08:24   Link #1723
NegiSpringfield

Quote:
Divorce ceremonies in Japan 'on the rise' after tsunami

The "divorce dress" that is designed to look most beautiful as the woman walks away says it all.

After reading this article, contested Japanese divorce proceedings sound horrid, especially if you're the husband.
Yeah, I have to agree that it does sound horrid.

You wouldn't imagine that people would want to split up after something like the tsunami, mainly because of obvious reasons.
Old 2011-07-05, 10:03   Link #1724
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
rofl good gods, how do you survive in the "land of tiny high-pitched voices"?

Seriously... yeah the song is some "15 minute fame" fad thing - there are literally hundreds of youtube clips of people doing this dance rather like "carameldansen" or "haruhi".
Hit the mute button if it's on TV or just tune out it as white noise if I hear things in the street. Otherwise it's visible flinching or this expression -->
if exposed to it from a person directly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I know ther Japanese are all about being polite even when they are being rude but is it true that 'cruse words like s**t or f**k don't exist in the language? I may had unknowingly used semantics but still.
'Shit' does (kuso would be closest) the rest no. They use grammatical structure to express a range of emotions whereas in English we just have words, so the harsher the tone and grammar structure used, the strength would then rivial something at the same level as our own strong curse words.
PS: I hate your avvy
(Seriously disturbing...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Shouldn't awareness on the fragility of life cause more marriages, not anti-marriages? I mean, it seems like something that would make you want to be with someone, to have someone with you, to maybe do something "life affirming" (as Scrubs put it)...

I guess if we see a rise in love hotel usage or something then it might have basis, but otherwise...
It's more or less what the journalist said, most people (including myself) rethink over their lives and are reminded that none of us knows when our time will stop.
Be it today, tomorrow or 10 years time, we're at the mercy of Mother Nature, we can die anytime.

With that in mind, it's all the more reason to be doing something that you won't regret, and for those guys I guess working on their marriage seeed like a waste of time and just making a clean break was all the better.

But it is poor taste to 'celebrate' otherwise what should be a lifelong union that you don't toss away too easily.
Then again, it's Japan, "Christian weddings" and all -.-;;

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 07:05   Link #1725
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

This may be a bit of a senstive subject here but I've have been reading up on a book that talks a bit how the JAV industry works written by a creditable guy.

Now, he mentions that for the past few years, about 400 new girls had been recruited as actresses annually.

Given that a fraction of those may be old veterans brought out of retirement under new names and some may not be young recruits at old for those with Granny Fetish. But take those away and it still quite a figure for a nation with an aging population.

The author also mentions that unless the girls are already streetsmart, very savvy and.....talented, they seldom last long in that trade and are out by their first year or 2. It's also said the producers have the final say in what the actress can or cannot do after the girl sign the contract. All in all, a trade that chew and spit out the talents, leaving them with a dark future in other trade in vice if they are not careful since the girl will always carried the stigma of being a JAV talent.

The question now is why the rush for the quick buck (A JAV Actress is paid about a million yen per title.) and spend their youth in one go ? It's quite obvious that those producers do not have a lack of recruits as the girls come calling in year after year that manage to sustain the growth of the industry for the past 30 years or so. It's amazing when you think factor in Japan's aging poulation as I have said earlier.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2011-07-23 at 09:49.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 08:18   Link #1726
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
leaving them with a dark future in other trade in vice if they are not careful since the girl will always carried the stigma of being a JAV talent.
The stigma no longer really applies nowadays, unless the girl in question was looking for a relatively posh white-color job. Things have been saturated to that point already. I would also be surprised if that is a major block in marriages, with the entire supply shortage.

Quote:
and spend their youth in one go ?
Not sure what you mean by "spend youth in one go". Could you elaborate?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 08:49   Link #1727
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
The stigma no longer really applies nowadays, unless the girl in question was looking for a relatively posh white-color job. Things have been saturated to that point already.
Really now ? In this case, I would expect more of them to make big time in mainstream entertainment, given their exposure. So far, the only person that can lay claim to the late Ai Iijima is Aoi Sora. And she has to slog for about 8 years, even now, she still kept her AV stint.

Quote:
I would also be surprised if that is a major block in marriages, with the entire supply shortage.
JAV Actress can get married. But it's another matter if the marriage has a happy outcome. According to what is known, most of them get hitched to their fans. There has to be a reason for that.

Besides would you, as an modern asian female, dare admit to your future in-laws that you slept with countless men while being recorded on video even if your future husband doesn't mind ? Some ancient values still sticks today in Asia.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "spend youth in one go". Could you elaborate?
Alright. Most of them starts out at the age of 18-19 and are retired by 20 at most, at their prime of their life while most of us are starting out. Granted, they are rich by the time of their retirement, but I don't think they can go else where after they exhausted all that money. Those who can't make a comeback falls into the Soapland trade where their fame can get rewarded big time.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2011-07-23 at 09:46.
Old 2011-07-23, 09:45   Link #1728
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
The stigma no longer really applies nowadays, unless the girl in question was looking for a relatively posh white-color job. Things have been saturated to that point already. I would also be surprised if that is a major block in marriages, with the entire supply shortage.
I don't know. At least where I work it would be almost impossible to be employed with such a past. And I suppose this applies for every major corporation. In my company's business conduct guidlines is a clause, that says an employee must not do anything that can harm the image of the company.

Last edited by Jinto; 2011-07-23 at 14:55.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 16:49   Link #1729
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Really now ? In this case, I would expect more of them to make big time in mainstream entertainment, given their exposure. So far, the only person that can lay claim to the late Ai Iijima is Aoi Sora. And she has to slog for about 8 years, even now, she still kept her AV stint.
Now why the leap from a non-white-collar job to the entertainment industry? It's not as if those there are only three alternatives (sex trade, white-collar, entertainment) to the JAV industry. In addition, given the structure of the Japanese entertainment industry, "exposure" is not something that would be a deciding point.

Now, the thing is, today's Japan is not a good place for youth getting jobs unless they're from the elite schools or have connections. There are age and college graduation year restrictions on applicants, the best jobs are for those who are expected to graduate from uni the following year, the upper tiers are stacked with those who had been loyal to the company for years.

On the other hand, the general laziness of the new generations, feeding off the wealth that the previous ones had gathered, enhances the stagnated situation of the general job market, where most would op for part-time jobs.

In such an atmosphere of general decadence, is there anything much to do? There isn't, and that has some effect on why girls would want to make some quick bucks while searching for an alternative (if there are any steady ones, that is).

I admit, I have a very negative view of the Japanese job market (probably because I've been exposed to the hyper competitive Korean market), but really, I don't blame that much for those wanting some cash.

Quote:
JAV Actress can get married. But it's another matter if the marriage has a happy outcome. According to what is known, most of them get hitched to their fans. There has to be a reason for that.

Besides would you, as an modern asian female, dare admit to your future in-laws that you slept with countless men while being recorded on video even if your future husband doesn't mind ? Some ancient values still sticks today in Asia.
Well..... my future in-laws already know that I was a full-blown lesbian since I was in high school, although admittedly, they're somewhat lenient in that aspect (despite being members of one of the most conservative clans in Korea, and Oppa being the de facto patriarch to boot).

Back to the topic: Given the depressed marriage scene, I would say that if the girl herself is okay (aside from that JAV past), there wouldn't be too much opposition from the parents. Japan has always had a hidden "liberal" sex attitude, where having a serious relationship would make sleeping together basically just an option. The filming probably make things uncomfortable, but probably not something to stop the knot if all the other factors are good enough.

Quote:
Alright. Most of them starts out at the age of 18-19 and are retired by 20 at most, at their prime of their life while most of us are starting out. Granted, they are rich by the time of their retirement, but I don't think they can go else where after they exhausted all that money. Those who can't make a comeback falls into the Soapland trade where their fame can get rewarded big time.
Well, given how things are in Japan, 20 would be when most would be starting out in Japan. Not sure where you live, so I'll withhold more comments until I see your side of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
I don't know. At least where I work it would be almost impossible to be employed with such a past. And I suppose this applies for every major corporation. In my company's business conduct guidlines is a clause, that says an employee must not do anything that can harm the image of the company.
And most similar Japanese companies would already be impossible to get into unless you follow a very strict timeline on when and how you graduate from university, leading back to the above mentioned depressed job market for those who aren't molded from the cookie cutter.
Old 2011-07-23, 17:34   Link #1730
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Now why the leap from a non-white-collar job to the entertainment industry? It's not as if those there are only three alternatives (sex trade, white-collar, entertainment) to the JAV industry. In addition, given the structure of the Japanese entertainment industry, "exposure" is not something that would be a deciding point.
Here's another thing, if not for the Asian Conservative streak, why the need for an alias during the AV stint ? I'm sure you realise none of those AV Actress are using their real birth name. Even Rina Nakanishi of AKB48 have to adopt the name of Riku Yamaguchi when she jumped bandwagon. And her mainstream past is only implied in her AV releases.

So, if the public is as forgiving as your have said, there would be more of them on the small screen or a regular basis given the recruitment rate. They are in the entertainment industry afterall and are cult idol to say the least. But we have the odd 1 or 2 appearing as guest on late night entertainment before disappearing altogether.

Quote:
In such an atmosphere of general decadence, is there anything much to do? There isn't, and that has some effect on why girls would want to make some quick bucks while searching for an alternative (if there are any steady ones, that is).
Yes, they are right in wanting a quick buck, but it kind of bother me that they have no long term plans.

Quote:
Given the depressed marriage scene, I would say that if the girl herself is okay (aside from that JAV past), there wouldn't be too much opposition from the parents. Japan has always had a hidden "liberal" sex attitude, where having a serious relationship would make sleeping together basically just an option. The filming probably make things uncomfortable, but probably not something to stop the knot if all the other factors are good enough.
I see your point. But like I've said, they can get hitched, but it's another matter if everything have a happy outcome.

And given the state of the Internet today, a film isn't going to fade away once uploaded. The girl's past will always be back to bug her and it will make an valid argument point in a quarrel.

Quote:
Well, given how things are in Japan, 20 would be when most would be starting out in Japan. Not sure where you live, so I'll withhold more comments until I see your side of things.
The life span of a JAV Actress is like 2 years in most cases. They are paid at a starting rate of 1 million yen per film with about one title release per month.

So, once they are out of the business, they can't really do much when the cash runs out with all those exposure. As I said earlier, her past will always come back to haunt her. A regular job wouldn't be able to satisfy her if she had no long term plans, which is most likely the case. And I don't believe she has the Qualification to get into some high level admin post nor know how to run a business. All the more pathetic is, the recruitement rate isn't going down.
Old 2011-07-23, 17:53   Link #1731
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Here's another thing, if not for the Asian Conservative streak, why the need for an alias during the AV stint ? I'm sure you realise none of those AV Actress are using their real birth name. Even Rina Nakanishi of AKB48 have to adopt the name of Riku Yamaguchi when she jumped bandwagon. And her mainstream past is only implied in her AV releases.

So, if the public is as forgiving as your have said, there would be more of them on the small screen or a regular basis given the recruitment rate. They are in the entertainment industry afterall and are cult idol to say the least. But we have the odd 1 or 2 appearing as guest on late night entertainment before disappearing altogether.
It's not that the public is forgiving, it's more of that the JAV actresses themselves have nothing much except using their bodies in the JAVs. How many of them do you think will have what it takes to maintain any sort of following as a regular "idol", leaving aside being naked. And in the fast paced idol scene, I doubt that there would be many former JAV actresses able to maintain their popularity, when even talented ones burn out pretty quickly.

Quote:
I see your point. But like I've said, they can get hitched, but it's another matter if everything have a happy outcome.

And given the state of the Internet today, a film isn't going to fade away once uploaded. The girl's past will always be back to bug her and it will make an valid argument point in a quarrel.
I wouldn't say that marriages will have happy endings. However, given how a mass majority have already slept around before marrying, a JAV career wouldn't make that much of an ammo for most couples without things becoming hypocritical.

Quote:
Yes, they are right in wanting a quick buck, but it kind of bother me that they have no long term plans.
Quote:
So, once they are out of the business, they can't really do much when the cash runs out with all those exposure. As I said earlier, her past will always come back to haunt her. A regular job wouldn't be able to satisfy her if she had no long term plans, which is most likely the case. And I don't believe she has the Qualification to get into some high level admin post nor know how to run a business. All the more pathetic is, the recruitement rate isn't going down.
It all comes back to the point that nowadays it is very hard to have a long term plan with the stagnation that is going on. Unless that is solved, I really don't see why the recruitment rate would go down at all. The youth of Japan in general doesn't seem to have any sort of long term plan. Then why would you expect those in the JAV industry to have any of their own?
Old 2011-07-23, 18:11   Link #1732
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Who says people always want to find serious work? It's not some absolute that all people must eventually do. When I was studying Japan (at one of the universities with one of the best employment rates for graduates right out of college, mind you) even some of the extremely cute, smart girls I met only wanted to find a man to marry and stay home as a housewife. A lot of these women are comfortable with using their female assets; there's no reason why they must give it all up to work for a major corporation.

Also, there are major corporations in Japan that hire office ladies (OLs) with a heavy emphasis on looks; these women in turn are in contact with men working for a huge corporation that they can try to work their magic and get married to. To put this into perspective, I know a girl who graduated this Spring and went to work for a major company who only plans to stay for a few years until she gets married and can quit.

Quote:
Back to the topic: Given the depressed marriage scene, I would say that if the girl herself is okay (aside from that JAV past), there wouldn't be too much opposition from the parents. Japan has always had a hidden "liberal" sex attitude, where having a serious relationship would make sleeping together basically just an option. The filming probably make things uncomfortable, but probably not something to stop the knot if all the other factors are good enough.
Quote:
I doubt much of this would get out in the first place; just because you make an appearance in an AV under a fake name doesn't mean you're going to be wearing a scarlet A on your chest as you walk around. Marriage isn't all about love and purity and that stuff, you know.

You guys do realize there are housewives that appear in AV as well? Sometimes they even have the husband's permission.

Quote:
I like how you have no qualms about stating this so matter of factly when you're just generalizing from what you know about Japan, not the AV industry. Pornography-related material in Japan is age 18. Actresses can apply to appear in them right out of high school.

Quote:
And most similar Japanese companies would already be impossible to get into unless you follow a very strict timeline on when and how you graduate from university, leading back to the above mentioned depressed job market for those who aren't molded from the cookie cutter.
Quote:
Wait, so we're assuming that AV actresses can't come from good universities? Just because a girl is willing to use their body to make a quick buck doesn't make them 1.) unattractive or 2.) stupid. As MakubeX2 said, there are plenty of girls that do it while they're in college; by the time they graduate they're not necessarily doing it anymore and might even move on to being an OL in a major company, or become a model while getting their picture taken out on the street in Harajuku.

Sure, there are those that might have to resort to it because they have no other way of making money, but those girls might have reasons for not getting a job that are, say, shared with other girls around the world who might be in a similar situation. That's different.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 18:32   Link #1733
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylaran View Post
You guys do realize there are housewives that appear in AV as well? Sometimes they even have the husband's permission.
That may be true for the America and Europe. I don't know about Japan.

Quote:
Wait, so we're assuming that AV actresses can't come from good universities? Just because a girl is willing to use their body to make a quick buck doesn't make them 1.) unattractive or 2.) stupid.
From what I knew, those Uni Undergrad who moonlight in AV for the quick buck are usually those who are smart enough to do one release or 2 before fading out. That is fine.

But I referring those who are already working full time under contract, pushing out titles month after month by the age of 18-19. Those are usually the ones who will be caught in a vicious cycle if they have no plans at all.

Quote:
As MakubeX2 said, there are plenty of girls that do it while they're in college; by the time they graduate they're not necessarily doing it anymore and might even move on to being an OL in a major company, or become a model while getting their picture taken out on the street in Harajuku.
It's good that they can find an employer who doesn't mind their less than glamourous past and arn't afraid of rumours going round. But more than not, this is not the case.

Anyway the point of the topic is that I want to find out why today's Japanese girls are just so willing to sell themselves out in front of a camera. Be it for cash or other reasons.
Old 2011-07-23, 18:41   Link #1734
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
That may be true for the America and Europe. I don't know about Japan.
What makes you think the Japanese are any different from than their American and European counterparts? Sex is a huge part of every culture (fertility and child creation), and for those with pornography industries I don't see why cultural differences would mean that absolutely no housewives would appear in AVs.

Quote:
Anyway the point of the topic is that I want to find out why today's Japanese girls are just so willing to sell themselves out in front of a camera. Be it for cash or other reasons.
I'm curious: Are you looking for one overarching reason, or just a group of reasons? If so, then I'd say money is your best bet. But if you're looking for a group of reasons, well, each person has their own situation, I suppose.
Old 2011-07-23, 18:50   Link #1735
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
What makes you think the Japanese are any different from than their American and European counterparts? Sex is a huge part of every culture (fertility and child creation), and for those with pornography industries I don't see why cultural differences would mean that absolutely no housewives would appear in AVs.
Cultural difference. Japanese had always been a curious mix of new western ideas and traditional eastern values.

At their core, I believe, the Japanese still hold on to their old values. If not, why the need for an alias and mosiacs for JAV ?

Quote:
I'm curious: Are you looking for one overarching reason, or just a group of reasons? If so, then I'd say money is your best bet. But if you're looking for a group of reasons, well, each person has their own situation, I suppose.
It's just that there is a steady income of new recruits with thousands of releases annually. There must be some reasons for that. Underlying social problems or more ?
Old 2011-07-23, 19:07   Link #1736
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Cultural difference. Japanese had always been a curious mix of new western ideas and traditional eastern values.

At their core, I believe, the Japanese still hold on to their old values. If not, why the need for an alias and mosiacs for JAV ?
Well, to me the law doesn't necessarily reflect what most people think; just what gets passed (because the business of making laws is a terribly terribly complicated process that doesn't just involve the law and its logic, but a bunch of other stuff). You do raise an interesting point, though.

Quote:
It's just that there is a steady income of new recruits with thousands of releases annually. There must be some reasons for that. Underlying social problems or more ?
Am I weird in that I don't feel like a girl being in a porno is as bad as people make it out to be? Sure, the sex trade and prostitution have very horrible consequences, but we're not talking about that. Money has always been something people have pursued, and I just think AV stars are no different from you nor I. We just choose to go about it in different socially accepted ways.
Old 2011-07-23, 19:17   Link #1737
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Am I weird in that I don't feel like a girl being in a porno is as bad as people make it out to be?
No. It's just you looking at things from an western POV where such things are more acceptable. Porn Stars are very much respected in America from what I've read, they get job welfare and healthcare like anyone else. Not so in Japan.
Old 2011-07-23, 19:32   Link #1738
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Who says people always want to find serious work? It's not some absolute that all people must eventually do. When I was studying Japan (at one of the universities with one of the best employment rates for graduates right out of college, mind you) even some of the extremely cute, smart girls I met only wanted to find a man to marry and stay home as a housewife. A lot of these women are comfortable with using their female assets; there's no reason why they must give it all up to work for a major corporation.
Actually I didn't try to claim otherwise. I was making my remark based on the condition that said AV stars wants to work for a major international corporation (not necessarily a white colar job though).

Quote:
Also, there are major corporations in Japan that hire office ladies (OLs) with a heavy emphasis on looks; these women in turn are in contact with men working for a huge corporation that they can try to work their magic and get married to. To put this into perspective, I know a girl who graduated this Spring and went to work for a major company who only plans to stay for a few years until she gets married and can quit.
Well, I was just saying this could be complicated with an AV past. I was not disputing what you say.
Old 2011-07-23, 20:14   Link #1739
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
I like how you have no qualms about stating this so matter of factly when you're just generalizing from what you know about Japan, not the AV industry. Pornography-related material in Japan is age 18. Actresses can apply to appear in them right out of high school.
It's not really what I know about Japan: I was in high school in Kyoto, and attended Todai for 1.5 years before transferring to Yonsei in Korea. Moreover, I was rebutting MakubeX2's comment on how 20 seemed to be the prime of a girl's life.

Oh, and I was once approached by a scout. Kicked him in the shins after he continued trying to recruit me after I told him I was a lesbian.

Quote:
Wait, so we're assuming that AV actresses can't come from good universities? Just because a girl is willing to use their body to make a quick buck doesn't make them 1.) unattractive or 2.) stupid. As MakubeX2 said, there are plenty of girls that do it while they're in college; by the time they graduate they're not necessarily doing it anymore and might even move on to being an OL in a major company, or become a model while getting their picture taken out on the street in Harajuku.

Sure, there are those that might have to resort to it because they have no other way of making money, but those girls might have reasons for not getting a job that are, say, shared with other girls around the world who might be in a similar situation. That's different.
My main focus was on why there are so many willing. There are of course individuals who have diverse backgrounds, like Shino Megumi (a girl who I wish hadn't appeared on straight JAVs, those heavenly thighs and hips......) who deliberately was in the JAV industry for two years as an independent, and is now continuing her studies in university, and I would not label every JAV actress as some foolish girl looking for some quick and easy cash. However, one has to admit that the continuing crisis in the job market is one major factor in the increasing numbers of new recruits, and that was my main point.

Finally, Japan's "tradition" has been outward conservationism and inward liberalism when it comes to sex. That's something most seem to not realize, and try to lump Japan with the real conservative Korea.
Old 2011-07-24, 01:04   Link #1740
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Does this statement means that...."getting marrried is just a waste of time? or why waste your life on earth by getting married?"

.... only people who have poor marriage life would definitely say that
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture