Notices

Old 2012-04-01, 02:31   Link #2741
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
On the topic of ME. How does one be a good Vanguard? How do you use the biotic charge? I seem to die everytime I use it. I always play as an Infiltrator or Sentinel and recenly Adept. Btw, has the biotic combos always present? I don't recall using them in ME2.
I am a long-time ME vanguard, even from the ME1 days, so I'll chip in my two cents here.

One thing that you need to understand is vanguards are basically the melee fighter of the ME universe. Yes, you have guns, but staying behind cover and shooting things really strips you of your mobility advantage. There are enemies that will pin you in cover (ravagers, harvesters, Cerberus snipers) but for the most part, if you set your abilities well, you're very durable and you have a mobility advantage over every other class out there, even Infiltrators with their stealth.

The best advice is to use and abuse Charge. It's your bread and butter. When you charge, you're invincible. Use this to your advantage. If a brute or a krogan charges you, charge right back! The enemy's charge won't hurt you. When you hit the target, your shields are partially (or completely) restored, depending on talent choices.

In ME3, carry as few weapons as possible. Shotguns are not nearly as attractive in ME3 as they were in ME2 and especially ME1 (where they were grossly overpowered).

In ME3, assault rifle + heavy pistol combo will keep your weight down low and your powers recharging fast. Shotguns (except the asari shotgun) are very heavy, and while they have high damage, heavy pistols have much higher damage than they did in ME2 and ME1.

My favorite weapon combo for ME3 is the geth pulse rifle and the Carnifex heavy pistol. Unfortunately, neither of these weapons are obtained early on. For early game, if you have the From Ashes DLC, go get Javik right away and you get access to the particle rifle, which is almost as good as the pulse rifle. Use that and the starting pistol until you get a better lightweight heavy pistol (like the Phalanx).

Heavy pistols are much better short-range weapons in ME3 than they were in ME2 and ME1. You get more shots than a shotgun and quicker reload times, and you don't have to worry about some of the blast not hitting the enemy. They also have high damage modifiers for armor, which is good for fighting brutes and banshees.

The particle rifle (use until the geth pulse rifle) is great for any time you get pinned in cover. The particle rifle doesn't run out of ammo--it acts like ME1 weapons, if it overheats (runs out of ammo) it'll take some time to cool down before you can fire again. Using assault rifle magazine mods on it gives you longer firing times before you have to let it rest. Don't let it go to 0 unless you want to stop shooting for a while.

The geth pulse rifle is more a normal ME gun, but it has loads of spare shots and ammo. The reload time is a bit long but it does good damage and is very accurate (only the Mattock rifle and particle rifle are more accurate). In ME2, the Mattock rifle was the cat's meow, but it's been significantly nerfed in ME3--don't bother using it (it's good to give to squadmates until you get the N7 rifle late in the game).

When it comes to powers, abuse the short cooldowns by carrying few weapons. If you carry only a pistol and AR, Charge will cool down in only three seconds, which essentially lets you maintain protection outside of cover for a good long time and lets you use Nova a lot more freely. By the time the Nova animation completes, Charge will be up again and you can use it to bring your barrier back up. You become a pinball of death bouncing around the battlefield.

Don't be afraid to use heavy melee either. Charge itself does a lot more damage in ME3 than it did in ME2, and combined with a heavy pistol blast and heavy melee, you can kill even shielded enemies quickly.

Abuse biotic detonations as much as possible. Roll with Liara--Singularity is stupid OP especially because you can now detonate it with Shockwave (in ME2, only Warp could detonate biotic effects). With minimal weapons, you can even do self-combos by using Pull (which has a very short recharge even with no light weight bonus) and Shockwave.

Things get a lot stickier for vanguards when the bad guys start getting guns that can blast through your barrier in one shot. Geth Rocket Troopers, Ravagers and Cerberus Nemesis are the most common. These guys will pin you in cover, and this is when you'll really be happy you've got that assault rifle instead of a shotgun (or using a heavy pistol as a long-range weapon as was done in ME2).

The power strategy in ME2 still works in ME3, but the gunfighting tactics are changed drastically. In ME2, the pistol was my long-range (until the Collector ship and AR training, then the Mattock took that role) and the Scimitar shotgun was my close-up weapon. Considering the weapon changes in ME3, it makes things a lot easier to use a heavy pistol and an assault rifle. Don't even bother with SMGs; they just plain aren't worth it. The Locust SMG was a lifesaver in the first half of ME2, but you can get an AR right off the bat in ME3.

Keep trying and I'm sure you'll die less. ME3's combat is significantly tougher than either previous game, so if you die a lot now but didn't before don't feel too bad. The enemies are better, smarter and faster and they use unit tactics pretty effectively.
Old 2012-04-01, 02:32   Link #2742
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
On the topic of ME. How does one be a good Vanguard? How do you use the biotic charge? I seem to die everytime I use it. I always play as an Infiltrator or Sentinel and recenly Adept. Btw, has the biotic combos always present? I don't recall using them in ME2.
Personally, I use this combo: Biotic Charge, Nova. Repeat.

Works great against just about anything. Except for Ravagers, in which case you're screwed and have to take cover. Especially on Hardcore+. They kill you in two hits, practically.

I personally think the Soldier is worthless in ME3. The Adrenaline Rush ability is rubbish compared to ME2's ability to slow down time. The sniper rifle mod DOES NOT make up for it.

I still rock the cover-based classes, which are the Sentinel, Engineer, and Adept. Infiltrator and Soldier to a lesser extent, but Infiltrator is really more of a flanking class than anything else, and Soldier is usable, but I still don't like it as much as in ME1 or 2. (ME1 Soldier class was practically overpowered.)
Old 2012-04-01, 04:01   Link #2743
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Blizzard: Supply Depot 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard
Multiple endings, each influenced by your choices and color-coded for your convenience! (Further epic endings planned for post release as downloadable content.)
Oh Blizzard you XD

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 04:16   Link #2744
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Okay, so there is a April Fool's Day joke for a Mass Effect saturday morning cartoon. So I read the first comment, and I think it spoiled the ending of ME3. This is the youtube comment...

Spoiler for Mass Effect ending?:

Is that the ending of the Mass Effect trilogy in a nutshell?
Old 2012-04-01, 04:22   Link #2745
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Aside from the killing everyone? Yeah, pretty much.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 04:39   Link #2746
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Aside from the killing everyone? Yeah, pretty much.
Well...

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2012-04-01, 05:10   Link #2747
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Spoiler for Urzu:
Old 2012-04-01, 05:48   Link #2748
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Blizzard: Supply Depot 2

Oh Blizzard you XD
I am amused. Almost as amused as I was when I heard their April Fools' joke from a few years ago became an actual part of WoW.
Old 2012-04-01, 06:01   Link #2749
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I am amused. Almost as amused as I was when I heard their April Fools' joke from a few years ago became an actual part of WoW.
Let's not bring up the discussion of how Pandas have always been in wow here...
Old 2012-04-01, 06:07   Link #2750
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Well...

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Unknown. That's one of the reasons I hate the ending: A lot of stuff suddenly happens, and we're never told the consequences of said events. It's just one giant "we don't know."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Spoiler for Urzu:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-04-01, 06:13   Link #2751
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2012-04-01, 06:14   Link #2752
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-04-01, 06:22   Link #2753
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Spoiler:
Plot armour!

But yeah, controlled explosion vs uncontrolled I guess.
Old 2012-04-01, 06:32   Link #2754
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

How many mass relays are there?

I haven't played any Mass Effect games, so I don't know how many mass relays there are. I was thinking about playing them, but I dunno now. First issue was that I dunno if I wanna start the game on PC because of ME 3 and Origin, and then there is PS3, but that only has ME 2 and ME 3 (I have no XBox 360). Then I hear that the ending to the trilogy is terrible (seems it), and then I end up learning the bad ending by mistake from the youtube comment (didn't realize they were summing up the ME 3 ending until I read nearly all of the comment).

Given those combining factors, should I really bother with the series? If not, no big loss, I have plenty more on my plate to play and I don't game that much these days, so I'd have to throw the ME trilogy on my backlog if I was gonna play it. Not trying to just outright dismiss it now, but should I even bother playing the trilogy?
Old 2012-04-01, 06:51   Link #2755
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It's hit or miss. Pretty much everyone agrees the game itself is totally awesome until the last 15 minutes or so, it's only the ending that's bleh. Whether that means the entire game isn't worth it is up to you.

Me? I'm happy enough. Yeah, the ending sucks, but the majority of the game is awesome. For me, the ending didn't retroactively ruin the fun I had with the rest of the game.

That being said, ME1 and ME2 are worth the purchase regardless of one's opinion of ME3.
Old 2012-04-01, 12:10   Link #2756
Who

Blizzard poking fun at Bioware for April Fools' Day. I think most major gaming sites/companies agreed upon having Bioware as the theme this year, although this little joke pokes at multiple areas.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/supplydepot/
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 12:22   Link #2757
Aqua Knight

^
Look a few posts up
Old 2012-04-01, 13:49   Link #2758
Linkark07
Yokoso Gypsy

@Urzu7

For me, the first two games are superb and I believe all gamers, regardless of genre you like, should play them.

The first one has a superb story and the gameplay is more akin to a hybrid RPG/TPS. The only thing people complain is the Mako sections and that side missions get a little repetitive but with all the dialogue choices you have and how entertaining it is then the first game shouldn't be missed by anyone. The comic that comes in ME2 PS3 doesn't do justice to the game.

In ME2 Bioware decided to empathize more on the gameplay and forget the story. In essence, ME2 is just get a bunch of guys, make them loyal to you and then attack an enemy base, that's all. Also, the gameplay is more of a TPS and less of a RPG; the inventory system is gone and you don't get experience by killing enemies. Still, despite its flaws, the game was still great and it had a great cast of characters.

ME3 is a hit or miss game. Quality wise, in my opinion, it is the worst of the 3 and it isn't because of the ending (it really killed me but the ending wasn't enough for me to give the game 7/10). This games gives you less interaction with the members of the crew, less dialogue choices, it feels way more linear than 2, side quests where boring and story is almost the same as 2 but instead of getting a bunch of guys at your side you must get a space armada at your side. Of course, many subplots from the other games are resolved but, like everyone said, it doesn't matter in the end.

Despite this, the gameplay is still superb and some rpg choices return like modding your weapons, getting experience by doing missions and also, making two trees in the advanced stages of a skill.

Overall, I recommend to play the trilogy but don't expect a lot from 3.
Linkark07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 14:26   Link #2759
Key Board
Carbon

ME2 was my favorite because it truly felt different with the locations, new enemies, and new alien team mates

but at the same time, those same factors make it seem like a side story to some people

ME3 feels like at true sequel to ME1, but it has less surprises
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 15:29   Link #2760
Aqua Knight

I think I liked ME1 the best due to best RPG elements (inventory, exp., skills tree) and exploration + it was something new. I generally picked ME as it was by the same studio that made KOTOR.

I don't know what problems you have with Mako, because I thought it was both fun and innovative, and you didn't get bored just walking on foot all the mission.
At last after KOTOR you had normal romance, more action and quality graphics with exciting plot.

So that's why I liked ME 1 the best - it was something new, not dumbed down to more action oriented game.

I personally didn't see a problem with messed up inventory as I played games like Oblivion,Kotor(again) etc., where you also had a complete mess.

Tags
effect, games, mass