AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2013-06-07, 13:35   Link #181
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quick little video while I plow into the next chapter - early gig in Kyoto.
(the blocked country list on this was hilarious, but not as absurd as "No Rain" was)

I rather like Tsika's little "wicked witch" outfit in this one. Glycerin has some wilder moves as well.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-06-08 at 01:39.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 06:08   Link #182
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Flashback moment -- the oldest known video of The Lost Girls performing at the underground cafe on campus in college. Back before any of them really had a motif or individual style even, just four women cranking out noise.
(that's the fantasy explanation of the video anyway)

YouTube
Old 2013-06-11, 14:16   Link #183
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Outline for next chapter is sketched out, let the embarrassed and mortified aftermath flow?

As an aside, here's a conception of Tsika and Kpau adventuring in a medieval fantasy.
Down the road I'm thinking of taking the same characters and dropping them in alternate reality short stories, a sort of omake theater.
Title: Oops! Wrong Tavern!

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-06-14 at 04:21.
Old 2013-06-13, 16:00   Link #184
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

What does one do when stuck on a story sequence? Procrastinate and oh, look at the shiny!

Welcome to The Lost Girls Omake, alternate reality of medieval fantasy.

Title: "Where the Fook is Blar? He had the map!"

The lighting sucks, may post one more if I find a better situation to put them in.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-06-14 at 21:28.
Old 2013-06-13, 18:22   Link #185
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Two more. I'll stop now - back to writing.

Title: Suddenly for no reason I can discern, I am compelled to find a 'loo. Who needs a potty break?

Title: Okay, we won't be invited back to that arena again after Sashiko burned it to the ground. Where's our next gig?

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-06-13 at 18:34.
Old 2013-06-14, 00:08   Link #186
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I lied. One more. This one has some better lighting courtesy of Tsika's magic bug.
Tsika explains the next gig while Blar is off getting drinks.
(The Lost Girls in Alternate World)

Old 2013-06-20, 05:31   Link #187
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This chapter I'm working on is more complicated in terms of story threading. The first half popped out pretty quickly and then I had to sit and play checkers with my story board ... still playing checkers with it but expect to release something before Friday. In the meantime, here's a video (and another in the morning).

The gang "goes Ozzie" on a couple of tunes. I like these because it gives a hint of Glycerin's inhuman guitar work and I'm never bored by watching a petite twintail headbang as she slings bass guitar.

(failed attempt to post videos went here)

Well, crap - turns out both tunes may be totally blocked on youtube even for private use. Almost every other tune I've used, the note is "yay, you're playing our stuff, we may run an advert!". Fail moment there for Ozzie's legal people.

edit: tested the videos on another account. yup, blocked. Sad because the animations are actually very unusual.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-07-18 at 17:18.
Old 2013-06-20, 19:23   Link #188
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Apparently EMI has gone crazy as of Monday with an onerous block policy and many of their bands who became famous via Youtube virals are screaming back at EMI. Cat fight begins. Another sign that some of the record labels are not innovating.
= = = = =
Okay, here's a few backup videos using sound that the creators are happy to share for the viral exposure.

Sashiko at the vocals singing about someone in particular I think:
YouTube
(That may be the closest they ever get to 'street clothes' while playing.)

Glycerin sings in her slightly skewed frame of mind, Snake is mostly silent for this:
YouTube
(the video title is off, this would be during one of the concerts with Aina in Kyoto)

And, the band has a special fondness for quirky old funny songs:
YouTube
(played for the troops in the USO gig)

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-06-21 at 16:24.
Old 2013-06-21, 15:52   Link #189
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Volume 03 Chapter 06 ("Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of These)") Part One

Yay ... an actual chapter. It's a bit sketchy but will serve. I think I'm back into gear after my downtime.

Volume 03 Chapter 06 ("Dream Evil") Part One
TL;DR…
vol 03 ch 06 part 01 contents
edit: damned stupid forum software, it's claiming 72000 characters when this is shorter than some and has nearly no formatting tags.

Part Two continues in the next post.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-06-24 at 00:31.
Old 2013-06-21, 15:55   Link #190
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Volume 03 Chapter 06 ("Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of These)") Part Two

Volume 03 Chapter 06 ("Dream Evil") Part Two

TL;DR…
vol 03 ch 06 part 02 contents
There, split it (stupid brain-addled forum software). I already see about a dozen major points to rewrite in my next pass but the point of a rough draft is to get some kind of basic structure on the page. I have a few people reading my rewrite of volume one and two now -- I like hearing how they aren't bored rereading because enough has changed and improved in the depth and details.

One of my aunts is reading it now (she turned 80 this week, woot) ... she's an avid and really picky reader and she says she's getting attached to the characters and finds herself reading longer each night than intended.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-06-24 at 00:32.
Old 2013-06-25, 21:43   Link #191
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Haven't done this in a while ... some real world references for character design -

Sashiko - The fashion, facial structure, and hairstyle are all right on target for my vision of Sashiko. Just change the eyebrows/hair to red, the eyes to green, and splatter freckles on her. And honestly, I was not thinking of Cyrus at all when I designed Sashiko but sheesh.
Images
More on target in terms of color -
Images
Some recent Glyc pic references -
Images

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-07-11 at 03:49.
Old 2013-07-01, 18:46   Link #192
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The next chapter won't be out until Friday. Spending time this week making editorial edits to Volume 1 and Volume 2 in preparation for publishing. Fighting with DAZ trying to see if I can use it for illustrations.

Here's a video record of a short Nine Inch Nails tribute done one night in Kyoto -

Head Like a Hole
YouTube
Hand That Feeds
YouTube
Closer [NSFW lyrics]
YouTube

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-07-02 at 02:19.
Old 2013-07-09, 02:20   Link #193
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Volume 03 Chapter 07 ("He's A Rocker") Part One

Well, this isn't exactly "Friday" but many events conspired against me to delay release.

Volume 3 Chapter 07 ("He's a Rocker") Part One
TL;DR…
vol 03 ch 07 part 01 contents
Next post contains Part Two of the chapter.

Rough draft alert: Tried a different tack with sexual moments in the story. Apologies to anyone looking forward to explicit clothes-ripping bodily fluid sequences.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-07-09 at 03:19.
Old 2013-07-09, 02:23   Link #194
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Volume 03 Chapter 07 ("He's A Rocker") Part Two

Volume 03 Chapter 07 ("He's A Rocker") Part Two

Previous post contains Part One of the chapter.
TL;DR…
vol 03 ch 07 part 02 contents
Rough draft alert: Tried a different tack with sexual moments in the story. Apologies to anyone looking forward to explicit clothes-ripping bodily fluid sequences.

edit: yeah, I gotta relink to this video - it's the name of the chapter after all.
YouTube

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-07-11 at 21:52.
Old 2013-07-12, 04:08   Link #195
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(argh, noticed a half dozen continuity errors, timing/position errors, and ambiguities on who is doing what in the recent chapter. May push it through another edit pass)

Organizing the next chapter segments .... Sashiko fronts up the vocals for one of the Matsue gigs.

Yes, duct tape is a major part of Sashiko's shirt. Kpau is wearing her "own personal disco balls" halter top. Tsika is doing her wicked witch thing. Maybe not "dark Glyc" but definitely "twilight Glyc".

YouTube

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-07-12 at 21:46.
Old 2013-07-15, 18:32   Link #196
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is going to be a spastic writing week since not much going on in the "paying work" side. Hammering out a publishable version of volume 2, taking last comments on volume 1, and getting the next volume 3 chapter out for the forum.

In the meantime, because I've got a small pack of Sasaki-chan moe fanboys out there (okay, maybe 0utf0xZer0) and I figure every major character should get their own ED moments - I constructed Sasaki and put her in a few videos (both Light Sasaki and Dark Sasaki). She's the travel and gig coordinator who leads the band from point to point in the Japan adventure.

1) RockBand is terrible at "Asian". Took me quite a while to hammer out a workable character I thought looked somewhat Japanese.
2) There's no waist length hair to choose from. Imagination glasses on. The bangs are right.
3) I chose songs to fit how I imagine her voice and because I thought they were a bit funny to have her sing.

These can all be thought of as "Sasaki is karaoke-ing and this is her inner fantasy of being a star" videos.

Light Sasaki - impression of how Sasaki tended to dress before Tsika took her shopping.
"Headphones On"
YouTube
"Brainpower" (has quite a few timing bugs in animation I couldn't make go away but oh well)
YouTube
Dark Sasaki - An impression of how Sasaki looked *after* Tsika took her shopping.

"Still Alive (props to Portal fans)"
YouTube
"Can't Be Tamed"
YouTube
Again, these are purely karaoke fantasies inside Sasaki's head but I thought they were pretty amusing as episode EDs that profile a character as is popular in anime.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-07-16 at 01:25. Reason: Apparently, spelling karaoke right requires more scotch.
Old 2013-07-18, 14:49   Link #197
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Somewhere along the line I forgot to dump this little piece the band did during their country fair circuit in Eastern Oregon during the middle of Volume Two.

Gunpowder and Lead -- (it has a nice Glyc solo in the latter half of the video and it's always kind of fun watching Kpau strut her cute ass around as she twangs)

YouTube
It's quite likely I won't get the next chapter of volume 3 out until Monday. My editorial passes of "to be published" volume Two are taking longer than anticipated.

edit: hmmm, my thread view count passed 20,000. yay for me. It averages about 200-500 views per chapter -- frankly, this is how I tell people are at least looking.

edit2: half done with chapter eight, going pretty fast

edit3: mostly done with ch. 8, editing for continuity and flow now. It is a bit sad. I've pretty much given up on using any lyrics at all in the story. I can quote SONG TITLES and ARTIST NAMES to my heart's content, use them in the story (as long as I'm not slandering anyone e.g. I present Orianthi's cameo in an entirely positive light - not worried about that). So all the little sections where the band is singing actual lyrics have to vanish. The only two that actually bother me are when Tsika and Blar are singing on the street ("No Rain") and Kpau's reworded version of "Rockstar".

I may tinker with an utterly satirical parody of Rockstar - that's covered. And I'll go ahead and write the copyright owners of No Rain. But everything I've read from legal beagles says 99.9% of the time it isn't worth it.

This is too bad ... modern daily life is stuffed with music and such. Kpau's extensive use of quotes I can dance around by simply letting the reader make the connection (saying "a certain famous little blueskinned alien" instead "Stitch" or the like) but music lyrics are defended by overpaid suits with too much time on their hands -- rarely is it a problem with the artist themselves.

edit4: Two interesting feedbacks from my wife - "she-who-must-be-obeyed-and-is-cute". She's halfway through Volume One now.

1) She likes much shorter chapters - she uses them as book marks and tends to read chapter by chapter - my 30 page chapters are "too big a bite". Good advice and not hard to fix. This is something thread readers won't notice - when rewriting the story for publishing, I had merged chapters in line with the format of Japanese light novels. I forgot to compare it to typical modern Western novels (much shorter chapters).

2) I'm a story control freak. Heh! I plead guilty here.
We had talked about how neither of us liked two or three pages of dialog with no description and you can't remember who is speaking after a point --- but I've gone too far the other way. In her view, nothing left to the imagination is bad. She likes to fill a few of her own blanks in, have to guess motivations, etc. This critique is more difficult to react to or rectify. I do think I've gotten better at doing what she's talking about as the story has progressed. I may review volume 1 and make minor adjustments towards more minimalism.

edit 5: Not doing a new post until the next chapter is ready. I've had a few queries about whether Glycerin is "realistic" or not. Here's the wiki leak on her primary mental condition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissoci...ntity_disorder . It also notes that such victims also frequently suffer from secondary disease states, most often clinical depression. Glycerin's type of DID involves cohabitant personalities who are aware of each other and have some conjoined characteristics. How she EXPERIENCES that state of being is what the reader is getting a glimpse of.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-07-23 at 01:37.
Old 2013-07-23, 15:23   Link #198
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Volume 03 Chapter 08 ("Pump It Up")

Volume 03 Chapter 08 ("Pump It Up")

TL;DR…
vol 03 ch 08 content
This chapter is very short. I had some other scenes to put here that I was just not making work properly. However, I need to move on to Kyoto so setting them aside for now. They were slice of life moments, not moving the key plot points so much.

Also, I realized when writing this that I had left out small key scenes in earlier chapters between Hank and the little Japanese woman Sasaki that made the scene in this chapter more meaningful. O well, it'll be in the book. It wasn't too much of a twist I guess. In retrospect, naming her Sasaki may not have been brilliant given the close similarity with Sashiko. Western eyes can easily confuse the two names. Waiting to see how my non-anime beta readers react. If anyone has an alternative name for her they think fits her personality better I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-07-30 at 02:28.
Old 2013-07-24, 18:08   Link #199
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The band is in Japan on tour, of COURSE Tsika is going to sing some songs in Japanese. This cover of a SCANDAL tune has Snake doing supporting vocals. Sashiko is sporting her 'forest nymph' plastered down hair.

YouTube

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-07-24 at 20:55.
Old 2013-07-31, 23:48   Link #200
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Volume 03 Chapter 09 ("Lost in Paradise")

Volume 03 Chapter 09
“Lost in Paradise” – Evanescence
TL;DR…
vol 03 ch 09 content
The chapters will routinely run much shorter from now on with more frequency. General feedback for my separate publishing rewrite project is that the shorter chapters make for easier bookmarks.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-08-01 at 22:22.

Tags
comedy, drama, light novel, music, romance