AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-10-13, 09:59   Link #1
Divaa

Wink Help me with homecoming.

homecoming, is right around the corner and I picked out my dress and everything else, but I chose an ivory dress. My date is some one I can't imagine looking actually good in a white dress shirt or even ivory. So, I thought about a black dress shirt but I'm not sure about the tie to go with it. Gold seemed a little flashy, not sure about creme, and white.
Divaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 10:23   Link #2
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divaa View Post
homecoming, is right around the corner and I picked out my dress and everything else, but I chose an ivory dress. My date is some one I can't imagine looking actually good in a white dress shirt or even ivory. So, I thought about a black dress shirt but I'm not sure about the tie to go with it. Gold seemed a little flashy, not sure about creme, and white.
The guy doesn't look in a white shirt? Wow. Didn't know such a creature exists.

Ahem. (Putting on my "clothes horse" hat )

What is your date wearing? A tux, a dinner jacket or a suit? For a tuxedo or a dinner jacket, the outfit usually comes with a white shirt; at least when I bought mine, my tailor asked... If he is going with a dark-colored suit instead, a black shirt without a tie is fine, IMHO. Leave the top 2 buttons undone is usually okay. I wouldn't go with a black shirt (or a white shirt) + a black suit, though; the first makes it look like he's trying too hard, and the second would probably let him blend in with the waitstaff...

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 10:27   Link #3
Divaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
The guy doesn't look in a white shirt? Wow. Didn't know such a creature exists.

Ahem. (Putting on my "clothes horse" hat )

What is your date wearing? A tux, a dinner jacket or a suit? For a tuxedo or a dinner jacket, the outfit usually comes with a white shirt; at least when I bought mine, my tailor asked... If he is going with a dark-colored suit instead, a black shirt without a tie is fine, IMHO. Leave the top 2 buttons undone is usually okay. I wouldn't go with a black shirt (or a white shirt) + a black suit, though; the first makes it look like he's trying too hard, and the second would probably let him blend in with the waitstaff...
No suit, no jacket. It's not that formal of a homecoming, I don't know why he doesn't look great in those button down white shirts, I just cant imagine him wearing it due to the fact he has a kinda pale complexion. I'm just trying to bounce off what we are wearing. I guess no tie could work.
Old 2009-10-13, 14:56   Link #4
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
No suit, no jacket. It's not that formal of a homecoming, I don't know why he doesn't look great in those button down white shirts, I just cant imagine him wearing it due to the fact he has a kinda pale complexion. I'm just trying to bounce off what we are wearing. I guess no tie could work.
I'd have him wear a jacket, doesn't have to be a specific tux jacket though
nowadays jackets like these are quite stylish also:

edit:
he could also wear a different colour shirt ofc
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 19:16   Link #5
Divaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
I'd have him wear a jacket, doesn't have to be a specific tux jacket though
nowadays jackets like these are quite stylish also:

edit:
he could also wear a different colour shirt ofc
Yeah those look good.
Old 2009-10-13, 20:21   Link #6
LynnieS

Quote:
While a buttoned-down collar is more casual than a straight collar style, the straight collar is more stylish, IMHO, esp. if you starch and iron the collar tips. The buttoned-down collar, after awhile, looks crumpled. The dress shirts sold in the U.S. usually have more fabric around the middle so I found them to "ride up" after sitting/getting up a few times - making it look more casual (no matter how much it costs) and looking like I just woke up.

Without a jacket, you have a lot more colors to choose from for the shirt. Light gray might be good or better than black, and if your date decides to go with a jacket, it's usually a safe bet on the color matching.

No matter what you decide, just have fun.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote