Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-27, 14:44   Link #1
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Manga Suggestions?

I'm well caught up with a decent amount of animes. While addicted to constantly playing VNs since I'm an addict after all but I'm lacking on manga since I don't know where to start off from. I've only read about 2 mangas (very low list is low) which consist of

The World God Only Knows
Onani Master Kurosawa

But I'm pretty open to many genres, so any suggestion of any type of manga is good. I just don't know where to start is all with the mass amounts of manga everywhere so just like anime. I'll take as many suggestions as you all have to offer, while accepting any genre that's offered.
Old 2011-10-27, 14:55   Link #2
jedinat

Angel Densetsu
Emma
Gokusen
Kanata Kara
Kiseijuu
Otoyomegatari
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Some of the best.
Old 2011-10-27, 15:07   Link #3
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I'm going to stick with manga that doesn't have an anime adaption (or the anime adaption only covered like 1/100th of the manga). I'm also going to stick with manga that are done, or have been on hiatus so long they may as well be done.

Eden: It's an Endless World!
In the panic surrounding a worldwide pandemic which kills 15 percent of the population and cripples many more, a secret organization, the Propater, topples the UN and seizes control of much of the world. A boy and a girl, raised in an abandoned virology research center, immune to the virus, are attacked by the Propater and escape. 20 years later the boy is the most powerful drug lord in South America. He aids his son from behind the scenes as he evades and eventually with the help of mercenaries from Nomad (some of them former Propater operatives) fights the Propater. As the plot develops focus shifts away from the main character and develops many sub-plots dedicated to terrorism, Human-improvement, the struggle of the developing countries and the power battles between the drug cartels and Propater.

My Thoughts: There is a decent temporal scope to this story. The characters aren't seemingly frozen in time, never aging, as seems to be the case in so much manga/anime. This is one of my favorite manga, though the ending was a little weak for my tastes.

Five Star Stories
The Five Star Stories takes its name from the Joker Star Cluster where the stories take place. The star cluster is made up of four stars: Eastern, Western, Southern and Northern. The "fifth star" is a large comet named Stant that passes through that sector of space every 1,500 years pulling with it its own collection of orbiting planets.

In the distant past the Farus Di Kanon Empire, now commonly known as the "Super Empire", controlled all 4 solar systems of the Joker Cluster. They enjoyed a level of technology much higher than is currently known and sent explorers to the far reaches of the Joker Galaxy. Around the year 9000 AD (Ammon Duul) the empire collapsed due to internal strife. The explorers were called home and what remained of civilization focused mainly on survival. Much technology and knowledge was lost by the time the imperial families of Amaterasu, Fillmore and Hathuha gathered and established the JC era. JC stands for "Joker Calendar" and was meant to give a common frame of reference to all nations to help foster a lasting peace. The JC calendar was adopted but the dream of peace was never realized.

The first story of The Five Star Stories begins in JC 2988. At this time interstellar travel is common and genetically engineered "fatimas" are well established as necessary co-pilots of the fearsome mortar headds that dominate the battlefields. Warfare between nations is commonplace and few still hope for peace.

My thoughts: There's really no way to sum up my thoughts on this huge manga in a sentence or two. It's basically a huge...huuuuuuuge space opera, with a gazillion characters and many different stories and points of view. It's really, really huge. Did I say it's huge? You need a wiki/notes to keep track of who's who. It's also oldschool, so you'll have to be able to accept that in order to enjoy it. This is the manga among the three I've listed that has an anime ova, but the ova covers probably not even 1/100th of the story.

Omoide Emanon
Based on the award-winning novel by Shinji Kajio, Memories of Emanon tells the story of a mysterious girl who holds a 3-billion-year old memory, dating back to the moment life first appeared on Earth.

My thoughts: A far more low-key sci-fi manga than the previous two. It's a beautiful tale, despite being so short (I tend to enjoy long, epic tales). One of my favorite manga of all time.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2011-10-27 at 15:18.
Old 2011-10-27, 15:14   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Here's some good mangas with a variety of genre:

Hayate no Gotoku (absolute comedy)
Arpeggio of Blue Steel (sci-fi, epic marine warfare)
The Little House with an Orange Roof (mature rom-com)
Break Blade (epic warfare, sci-fi, mecha)
Shaman King (fantasy, fighting)
Tekken Chinmi (and other variations/sequel series) (martial arts)
Gon (about a little dinosaur which is the last of its kind, pretty uniqe, the manga doesn't need dialogues)
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (martial arts, comedy)
Vagabond (samurai flick, the story of Miyamoto Musashi, pretty serious)
Rainbow (drama, very serious if not depressing)

The list can go on and on, but that'll take too much space and you'll get a headache ^_^.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2011-10-27 at 16:04.
Old 2011-10-27, 15:43   Link #5
JRendell
Manga Addict

Change 123

Meet Motoko, a girl who has secretly developed three different personalities so as to cope with three different adoptive fathers, each of whom happen to be masters of a different martial art. Oh, and Kosukegawa, the guy who happened to find out.

Great artwork with some pretty girls, romance, awesome fights and top-class comedy. In my Top 5.

Ane Doki!

A mysterious, busty, strong, beautiful, and mature high school girl, what more can a guy ask for? Apparently 13yr old Kouta doesn’t want that. Natsuki, the girl in question, has spontaneously decided to become Kouta's live-in maid while his father is away on a business trip.

A romance story with some ecchi and great comedy. Written and drawn by Kawashita Mizuki, who also did Ichigo 100% and Hatsukoi Limited.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

Probably one of the few series that got me into reading manga. "The story is focused on Kenichi Shirahama, an average 15-year-old weakling, whose life turns to Hell with the appearance of the naive, beautiful, and strong transfer student, Miu Fūrinji. After Kenichi witnesses Miu's skills in martial arts, he joins the Ryōzanpaku dojo, the gathering place of those who are truly strong, which also happens to be Miu's home. After beating a karate student in a match, he is soon targeted by all the delinquents in the school." - MAL.

400+ chapters strong, and still powering on, this manga has everything. And it's downright hilarious.

I could go on for alot longer.
Old 2011-10-29, 04:22   Link #6
amasposu

If you like The World God Only Knows, give Kaichou wa Maid-sama a try. The first few chapters may be a little slow. If you have trouble getting into it, start with the anime. =)

Also, Fullmetal Alchemist and One Piece.
Old 2011-10-29, 04:42   Link #7
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Manga suggestions
Pretty long lists, mine included. If you need even more recommendations, PM me
Old 2011-11-01, 21:40   Link #8
magegirl

Smile

I think you will like Dengeki Daisy It's a very nice manga. actually it's comedy romance genre. It also has some mystery parts. I love reading it!!!
Closed Thread