AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-21, 20:09   Link #281
dijango

Thank you GC! I'm so glad that someone is now subbing minami ke okawari. You see, i don't speak or read any Japanese, so even though I can watch the RAWs and sorta understand what's happening, I could not understand what they were saying and it thus lost all comedic value. Now that it has been subbed I can understand it again and that makes the new "season/remake/continuation" seem a whole lot better.

Also, isn't it a bit weird that the minami family has a rotary phone? Weird!
dijango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 21:01   Link #282
Zippicus

After finally getting to watch this show (thanks GC) I really don't see what all the fuss is about, I thought it was fine. I'm definitely looking forward to the next episode. If anyone is hesitating to watch this due to all the negative comments, I'd suggest you just check it out for yourself.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 21:37   Link #283
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Ah yes with the first episode subbed I can now have a more informed opinion of this. Over all it was decent first episode all things considered. However it does feel like it's currently in the process of finding itself. Either way the Mako-chan and Touma stuff is still kind of fun.
Old 2008-01-21, 23:31   Link #284
Ultenth

Honestly not sure why all the negative comments. It was basically an onsen episode, what really are you expecting? Compared to the second seasons of ZnT or Shana, and how many groups are doing them, I'm even more confused. Hope so more groups pick this up, because a lot of the bad press it seems to be getting seems entirely unwarrented and blown out of proportion to me.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 23:56   Link #285
JRyan2K

IMHO after watching the sub, it was not bad at all. The art-style is definitely different, but not too much...and the whole of episode 1 still had plenty of comedy in it, tho not exactly the same as the first season. I can't describe what was lacking really, maybe it is just not as "over-the-top"? I think everyone just loved the previous version, and the fact that it is not exactly the same in every way is bothering people. Anyways, it is definitely not as bad as some people have said it is...and [GC] did a good job in subbing the episode, (just wish they would have taken the time to sub the next episode preview at the end, but it's no big deal)....I felt they succeeded nicely. I hope they continue with the series...or that their efforts open other groups to sub it as well.
JRyan2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 23:56   Link #286
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

After all the pre-judgment about Okawari, a lot of people would have faced a lot of public embarrassment if they didn't end up "hating" it. I think that accounts for most of the stated reactions.

For me, after all the buildup, it was a bit of a letdown in that I neither loved nor hated it. The change in visuals bothered me almost not at all (except for Fujioka the boy, who is oddly almost unrecognizable). The pacing was a bigger adjustment for me, but I can't really make a judgment on how I feel until I've adapted to it for a couple eps. The trademark humor was there, with a couple of big laughs. On balance, I would rank it about on par with one of the low-medium caliber eps of MK.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 00:03   Link #287
Sassarai
Army of One

What public embarrasment? I still found the first episodes to not be that funny while the 3rd was pretty funny.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 00:05   Link #288
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
After all the pre-judgment about Okawari, a lot of people would have faced a lot of public embarrassment if they didn't end up "hating" it. I think that accounts for most of the stated reactions.

For me, after all the buildup, it was a bit of a letdown in that I neither loved nor hated it. The change in visuals bothered me almost not at all (except for Fujioka the boy, who is oddly almost unrecognizable). The pacing was a bigger adjustment for me, but I can't really make a judgment on how I feel until I've adapted to it for a couple eps. The trademark humor was there, with a couple of big laughs. On balance, I would rank it about on par with one of the low-medium caliber eps of MK.
i think even with the subs, you need to be a native to truelly be able to discern the difference. I have to admit that I really don't know why the translator of Ayako didn't like the show so much even when I watched the raw. I still like the first season more than what I have seen so far from okawari. If people enjoyed this first episode, wait for episode 3, which in my opinion is very close to the spirit of the first season. The first two episodes can be called a bad introduction and the show is now beginning to shine with episode 3.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 02:05   Link #289
Diedrupo

Just caught ep 1. Wow, the animation really took a nosedive. Why on earth did they switch again? Or was this a way to produce two shows at once and lessen costs?

Either way, the story and characters are the same, so I really don't have any complaints so far.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 02:06   Link #290
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, can someone confirm something? I'd heard there was a different director for each episode. If that is the case, then the series really won't "hit its stride"... each episode will be a slightly different take on the Minami-ke world based on the director -- some will be better some worse.
So.... are there multiple directors or are just one(or two)?

edit:
Hmmm, the OP/ED animations are clearly inferior in execution but the story animation itself I just find to be a different *style* rather than a nosedive. Some aspects I like a lot (like the extra definition in the characters giving them a more lifelike look rather than 2-d look -- that muscle tone some were lamenting, for example). Some I'm not fond of (the way they portray anxiety attacks with overblacking the lines or with fisheye hyperdeformation). But its a subjective matter.

As most people watching the series know already -- the second series is produced by a different production company. Its their interpretation --- and actually a bit closer to the manga apparently in looks.
Old 2008-01-22, 02:08   Link #291
Ultenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
What public embarrasment? I still found the first episodes to not be that funny while the 3rd was pretty funny.
I think Enzo is referring to the fanboy/girl phenominon where if enough people start a trend of hating on something, everyone else thinks its cool to hate on it too and prejugdes whatever it is without giving it a chance. This happens all the time to movies, musicians, video games, comics, anime, etc. etc. etc. I wish people would make up their own minds instead of allowing others to influence their opinions so much by falling into that trap. The same thing happens in reverse too with people being slavishly devoted to something no matter how bad it is, and is generally just a bad way to live your life in my mind.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 02:27   Link #292
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultenth View Post
I wish people would make up their own minds instead of allowing others to influence their opinions so much by falling into that trap.
How do we know if people are allowing others to influence them, or they are simply seeing eye to eye?

How do we know if people are being slavishly devoted to something no matter how bad it is, or both simply really enjoying it.
Old 2008-01-22, 02:50   Link #293
Okashii

My opinion after watching 3 episodes so far:
- reduced comedic effect by changing scenes right after delivering punchlines. Allows no time for joke to settle in before switching scene.
- Jokes are lame (my personal opinion)
- BGM is loud, louder than than the voices. Especially annoying when a person actually listens to the Japanese. And considering this is a slice-of-life, they are not soothing on the ears.
- Misuse of sfx. Sounds effects used when not needed and not used when needed.
- other strange directing quirks, like strange transitions to bible-black faces and back.
- artwork is fine, it's just a different style.

Sorry, but I can't get myself to like this series. Just judging it as an anime in general, and not even comparing it to first season, or swayed by public opinion or pride.

Edit: But still following it because of my love for season 1. ;_;
Okashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 02:50   Link #294
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
How do we know if people are allowing others to influence them, or they are simply seeing eye to eye?

How do we know if people are being slavishly devoted to something no matter how bad it is, or both simply really enjoying it.
You observe them, get some data points, make an assessment. People who aren't being led by the nose generally are able to create meaningful discussion about the thing in question, are able to provide some reasoning for assertions, and even better understand the underlying mechanisms of the thing in question. You use the same discerning tools that are used for assessing whether someone has a clue or not about the subject they're espousing.

This, of course, requires the assessor to have a clue
Old 2008-01-22, 02:57   Link #295
Sassarai
Army of One

It could be that they just aren't as articulate as you but can see the same problems as others have mentioned
Old 2008-01-22, 03:42   Link #296
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sorry, but I can only operate and assess with the clues a creature gives me. Anything else would be pure speculation.
Old 2008-01-22, 03:50   Link #297
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:

The quick rise and fall in public attention. The commonness of exaggerating terms like BEST or WORST ANIME EVER. Observation of arguments and their reaction to it, compared to other anime.
Old 2008-01-22, 03:50   Link #298
Boohahaha

As I have said earlier, the 2nd season as a stand alone show would have been okay if the 1st season wasn't such a hit. However if Okawari was the first season or if I never watched season one and went straight to season 2, the first few episodes of Okawari won't have impress me enough to follow Minami-ke.
Boohahaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 04:02   Link #299
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
And then another subber take the task to sub Okawari. Maybe more will follow.

As for the initial bashing, I held on my opinion until the subs are out.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 04:09   Link #300
jin07

First off THANK YOU to the group who did the subs. So far, I didn't think it was as funny as the first season, but decent all the same. Some of the jokes felt a little forced at times. I was also put off by the black faces. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it, though that could be related to really liking the characters we came to know &love already.

btw Kana is ripped now. When I saw her in the bath scene I went dang she looks strong.
jin07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, seinen, slice of life