AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 35 28.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 34.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 26.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 8.20%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.64%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-20, 14:21   Link #101
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Then he could say so, couldn't he?

And who ever said Alto wasn't a "newb"? But everyone has to start some day.
Old 2008-04-20, 14:28   Link #102
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

So?

Alto = Maverick
Michael = Iceman
Luca = Goose
Ozma = Jester
Old 2008-04-20, 14:42   Link #103
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Then he could say so, couldn't he?

And who ever said Alto wasn't a "newb"? But everyone has to start some day.
Mikhail did or more accurately a talented amateur when Alto piloted Giliam's Valkyrie.

Mikhail didn't know it was Alto piloting.

Alto has instincts for acrobat flying not yet for actual combat. (Hikaru Ichigo ver. 2.0)

Also Mikhail could be saying in sutble manner that step into our world and there is no turning back.

Ozma plainly explained they are just mercs not recognized soldiers.

Nobody outside their circle would honor you if you died.
Old 2008-04-20, 15:10   Link #104
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

You're not addressing what I was griping about.

When Alto expressed interest in joining SMS, Mikhail only put him down with "The way you are now, you get someone killed", instead of explaining why he thought so, so Alto could correct himself. And he had the gall to call that the act of a friend.
Old 2008-04-20, 15:13   Link #105
Tsukiyomi
step closer to Amaterasu

I like how Sheryl and Ranka's contrast in singing attitude also remind me of Myung and Sharon Apple of Macross Plus. Especially the scene with Ranka singing on that grass hill felt very macross-plus-like
Old 2008-04-20, 15:50   Link #106
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurys View Post
I hope they'll tone down the "Ranka breaking down" moments, cause it gets a bit tiring to me. The scene where she yelled at Ozma was over dramatic, but thankfully, the part on the hill was great.
I also thought that seemed to be a bit much, but after explaining her history, I thought it was in character. Losing Ozma would be a pretty awful blow for her, after seeing all her actual blood relations killed earlier. And she did seem to recover; she's now entering the Miss Macross competition, and she was back to her cute self at the observatory.

Assuming all the death flags we see with Ozma are correct, Ranka will certainly need to toughen up some--otherwise she won't survive his death. I actually think this is a point in her favor in the triangle; presumably she will get some kind of contentment at the end of the series, and if Ozma does die, I would think that getting Alto would be part of that. I also just get the feeling that the writers are as fond of her as many viewers, and will also want her to get a happy ending. But anyhow, this is just speculation at this point.
Old 2008-04-20, 16:20   Link #107
hga

Quote:
[...]

When Alto expressed interest in joining SMS, Mikhail only put him down with "The way you are now, you get someone killed", instead of explaining why he thought so, so Alto could correct himself. And he had the gall to call that the act of a friend.
If they really are friends, Mikhail has already discussed at length what he perceives to be Alto's faults in this area, and from the viewpoint of a combat pilot in training; Mikhail knows Alto wants to become a combat pilot and has no reason to believe he won't make it into NUNS someday.

In this episode, we see that Mikhail has a model of Alto's behavior, that he's running away (from his family et. al. pretty obviously). He also says Alto has "only been flying for a year" (AiA IZ). Then:

"As you are now, it's only a matter of time before you get killed or kill someone."

I don't read him as putting Alto down per se, this could be an honest and maybe even correct evaluation, at least for Alto prior to the first battle.

Starting then, Alto seems to me to be taking things very seriously, he'd be insane not to after seeing the fate of Gilliam up close plus e.g. note how he "measured" himself before jumping into the cockpit. Mikhail almost certainly doesn't know the whole story of all that but probably did see Alto freeze when the yellow powered up just before the former took it out in the nick of time.

And while we see that Alto has frustration and anger problems, we just happen to know that he has The Right Stuff for combat, and more so than Mikhail has had a chance to really find out. Let's hope sniper Mikhail doesn't freeze in his first CQB....

- Harold
Old 2008-04-20, 16:23   Link #108
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
haruhi.

i love macross.

i love the ending, Ranka song...erm....."Aimo" was so beautiful. I WANT THE SINGLE NOOOOOOOW! I can feel the Animu Spirita flowing from that song.

I touched me.

I don't understand how random curiosity can say the quality of animation dropped, sheesh.

if it doesn't distract you from the story, who cares about such nitpicking?

Yeah, as for the information from this episode, it was fantastic.

i like how Macross just throw you these little bits of fluff.

The fact that all dead colonist are recycled, i assumed it is into a food processing biomass, hence the words that his flesh and blood will become one with them, as whatever they eat will be dead animals and humans.

you might go "ewwwww" but when your on a eternal travelling space fleet, it makes sense to recycle everything.

After all, once you break down animal flesh into proteins and have the ability to reconstruct it into what ever base biomass flesh for cooking then, i don't see why dead human should be excluded.

the dead can still bring hope to the living.

also saves taking up vial land, although i was surprised they don't even get a plaque, but i suppose you'll just be put on a list.

I guess only military personal get a physical plaque and headstone for their sacrifice.

well, love macross for these little nugget of hard sci-fi.

macross banzai!

go ranka! you can do it! more SINGING!

Old 2008-04-20, 16:25   Link #109
Aquifina

Quote:
You're not addressing what I was griping about.

Well, Mikhail *did* accept Alto into the squadron at the end. I do agree, though, that he seems to be something of a prick; his teasing of Alto in ep. 1 for example was unnecessary, and seemed to twist the knife on an issue he knew to be a sore point for Alto.

Anyhow, I'm sure Alto will prove his chops soon enough.

Last edited by Aquifina; 2008-04-20 at 16:50.
Old 2008-04-20, 16:42   Link #110
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hga View Post
If they really are friends, Mikhail has already discussed at length what he perceives to be Alto's faults in this area, and from the viewpoint of a combat pilot in training; Mikhail knows Alto wants to become a combat pilot and has no reason to believe he won't make it into NUNS someday.
Wouldn't hurt to reiterate now that Alto knows Mikhail isn't just another student. Besides, they probably never discussed what Alto's failing would be as a combat pilot rather than an acrobat.

Quote:
In this episode, we see that Mikhail has a model of Alto's behavior, that he's running away (from his family et. al. pretty obviously).
We know very little about Alto's family situation. Mikhail may know a bit more, but I don't really see how it's all that much relevant to Alto's desire to enlist.

Quote:
He also says Alto has "only been flying for a year" (AiA IZ). Then:

"As you are now, it's only a matter of time before you get killed or kill someone."

I don't read him as putting Alto down per se, this could be an honest and maybe even correct evaluation, at least for Alto prior to the first battle.
It may be honest, it may be correct, but it's not useful. It would be if he said something like "Even more than in acrobatics, you can't afford to be undisciplined." Or to be reckless. Or to have long hair. Or whatever it is he's faulting him for.

Quote:
Starting then, Alto seems to me to be taking things very seriously, he'd be insane not to after seeing the fate of Gilliam up close plus e.g. note how he "measured" himself before jumping into the cockpit. Mikhail almost certainly doesn't know the whole story of all that but probably did see Alto freeze when the yellow powered up just before the former took it out in the nick of time.
Freezing in such a situation isn't surprising. That says very little about Alto's fitness as a soldier.

Quote:
And while we see that Alto has frustration and anger problems, we just happen to know that he has The Right Stuff for combat, and more so than Mikhail has had a chance to really find out. Let's hope sniper Mikhail doesn't freeze in his first CQB....

- Harold
Mikhail at least knows Alto was brave enough to jump into that cockpit and save Ranka. And skilled enough to not get killed in five seconds. But as I said earlier, my gripe was that Mikhail claimed to be acting as a friend, but didn't provide constructive criticism. Or a real warning. He just made light of Alto's skills and/or determination.
Old 2008-04-20, 17:49   Link #111
Chase

My review of episode 3
Spoiler for episode review:
Old 2008-04-20, 17:57   Link #112
Eej
wat
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
My review of episode 3
Now why would that be? She's brimming with confidence and that "Never give up!" spirit. She's like a female

Plus
Spoiler:
Old 2008-04-20, 18:22   Link #113
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well Altoh did hear Mikhail voicing issues of running away from his father and home. So I'd assume some of Altoh's problems had been voiced before at different points. Probably felt he didn't need to mention the specifics again. What is driving Altoh might be the issue for Mikhail. Is it because he wants to protect something, to fly, or just to run further away from his father.

Was a pretty serious thing to throw at Altoh. Of course accurate since if he goes off on his own again the price could be very high. Maybe just pushing Altoh to confront his motivations and then make the choice about joining the SMS.

At any rate Altoh has decided what he wants to do. Will have to deal with other issues with family later. For now though, best to just develop his skills in combat situations.
Old 2008-04-20, 20:39   Link #114
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I loved this episode...especially the song Ranka..was singing at the end..i can't wait to listein to its full version...ALtoh is one lucky bastard to see Sherly's half naked lol at sheryl what she said to altoh while she was in the car.But if i'm correct when the a member of the SMS dies they dump him into the ocean why not just bury the person
And I hope Ranka makes the little idol thingie
Old 2008-04-20, 21:24   Link #115
ReddyRedWolf

Their version of a cremation is returning the body to the biosphere.]

Everything there is recycled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eej
Now why would that be? She's brimming with confidence and that "Never give up!" spirit. She's like a female
You're quite right. Sheryll does summon the GAR and MOE in Alto and Ranka.
Old 2008-04-20, 21:27   Link #116
Lanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
My review of episode 3
Totally opposite for me. While the first episode had me liking Ranka more, these last two have Sheryl going way up and over Ranka. Confident, not sitting around waiting for something to happen, plus that last comment about "allowing" Alto to use her immage as his ummm "inspiration" for later that night just blows the lid off the competition. Ranka needs to counter attack with something next episode or I'm firmly in the Sherly camp for taking Alto.
Old 2008-04-20, 21:43   Link #117
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanis View Post
Totally opposite for me. While the first episode had me liking Ranka more, these last two have Sheryl going way up and over Ranka. Confident, not sitting around waiting for something to happen, plus that last comment about "allowing" Alto to use her immage as his ummm "inspiration" for later that night just blows the lid off the competition. Ranka needs to counter attack with something next episode or I'm firmly in the Sherly camp for taking Alto.

This is the same with me. In the first episode I liked Ranka much more but now I am preferring Sheryl because she actually has backbone. Ranka is really cute but I hope they toughen her up a bit. Because right now she is just your typical helpless female character. She sings very nicely though.

Although that is just talking character-wise. As for a romantic pairing I much prefer Alto/Ranka. They just have more chemistry and the aww factor going for them.
Old 2008-04-20, 21:58   Link #118
Lanis

Ranka is cute but in the wrong way for me. Gives off little sister vibes. I'd love to have a little sister like her but a romantic interest would have to be Sheryl. I wonder if Sheryl will ever get a dere dere moment with Alto.
Old 2008-04-20, 22:13   Link #119
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanis View Post
Ranka is cute but in the wrong way for me. Gives off little sister vibes. I'd love to have a little sister like her but a romantic interest would have to be Sheryl. I wonder if Sheryl will ever get a dere dere moment with Alto.
I don't think its allowed to have little sisters like that. Always thought they were supposed to be a pain . Just get a nice cute vibe from Ranka. Guess picking up the little sister thing depends on your personal history.
Old 2008-04-20, 22:47   Link #120
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
sheryl is easily becoming the garest female in a longtime
Closed Thread