AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-07, 13:04   Link #361
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Another blog post on the light novel. Might find something useful or interesting here, if anyone wants to give it a try.

Spoiler for Japanese text:
Yeah this also says nothing about Alto ending up with Ranka, though she does talk about the beautification of not just Alto but also Ranka. Though it does make a mention of Alto being dead, and a confession to Sheryl.

The only complaints I see here is about there being too much purple prose.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 14:44   Link #362
Thess

It seems the novel is pretty unkind to Sheryl portrayal in general? But it Mary Sues Ranka and, specially, Alto (I won't use Gary Stu'ed him, since Mary Sue is more fitting. Alto is more feminine than ever and he's accused of sharing BL-moments with Michel).

Overall, they are disappointed since the novelist has delivered a decent work in the past books.

I think we can all blame this on the deadline pressure and crisis combination.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 15:03   Link #363
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Japanese bloggers and reviewers seem to be very good at keeping away from spoilers, but based on what the amazon reviewers have written, what darkplataform posted two pages ago back here seems to be generally accurate (the review that talks about it most explicitly was, unfortunately, posted on April 1st...).

Re: Alto, one of the problems some ppl have with the novels (series and movie) in general is how prominent the kabuki aspect is (not only in its depiction, but also as an influence on Alto's 'current' life). I think AlaAlba mentioned something to that effect once before too, wrt the second volume. The scene I've read (don't know if there are others yet) had me cracking up , I must admit...

Spoiler for slight movie spoiler:

As for the blog posts raile posted...no real spoilers posted. One of them hasn't finished it yet (170pages in, I think).

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-04-18 at 19:50.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 16:12   Link #364
Dash_Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I think we can all blame this on the deadline pressure and crisis combination.
They should have given the author more time, one or two months more at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Oh, and again with the question to Dash_Hunter: Is the "no more Macross Frontier material after this point" thing confirmed? Because this scenario seems to have spontaneously spawned into existance, with no prior information.
Sorry for that and no, it's nothing official ie there haven't been an official announcement or something like that, I'm just assuming because after April there aren't more MF related products that are going to be released aside from toys and of course the DVD/BD of SNT.
Quote:
Macross F VISUAL COLLECTION Sheryl Nome FINAL
Release: 2011/04/23

OFFICIAL COMPLETE BOOK "Macross F The Movie: - Sayonara no Tsubasa -"
Release: 2011/04/16

Macross A (Ace) Vol.8
Kadokawashoten
Release: 2011/03/26

Sheryl - Kiss in the Galaxy 3 FINAL
Release: 2011/04/13

Novel "Macross F - Sayonara no Tsubasa" FINAL
Release: 2011/03/31
Notice the use of the word Final

That and some other things like that apparently the author of the light novels won't do anything more about Macross F after the SNT novel like Yot-chan posted a couple of pages ago, or an interview with Kawamori named "Macross F series finally complete! The latest interview with director Kawamori".
I haven't read the interview from Macross Ace but I think he just said that there was a possibility of a sequel but it seems that he's not seriously thinking about doing one.

I think that maybe there will be more Macross F merchandise, just not products with new story, like novels, series or ovas.
I'm just hoping for maybe a second "Nyan Cli" with the new songs from SNT and a new game for PSP/PS3 with a campaing of the second movie and the YF-29.
Old 2011-04-07, 16:22   Link #365
Thess

Those say final because it'll be the last in that way, I think? But it doesn't mean there won't be more Frontier manga or short novel stories or drama cds. Maybe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Spoiler for slight movie spoiler:
Spoiler for yup spoilers:

This last review is pretty revealing too:

Spoiler for japanese:

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-04-07, 16:28   Link #366
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

^

Well...even the radio show has ended. I thought they'd keep going at least until the movie was out on DVD/BD...but it finished last week. I think they'll definitely have at least one more concert, and there may be a story or two in the last couple of books due out...but generally speaking, it's like everyone has agreed to move on.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-04-07, 16:30   Link #367
Thess

@karice67: Yes, true, I mean side-material. Like you know, first Macross has been over for a looong time yet we get Macross the First now and tons of short novel stories.

Did you read the review I posted. It's subtly spoiling.

Old 2011-04-07, 16:35   Link #368
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

^

Crap.

I just did....and it sounds...ominous.

Argh. I wish amazon would restock the first novel and allow preorders for OreImo 8 already!

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-04-07, 17:04   Link #369
Thess

If you purchase it, let me know if it's worth it!

Old 2011-04-07, 18:48   Link #370
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Hunter View Post
They should have given the author more time, one or two months more at least.

Sorry for that and no, it's nothing official ie there haven't been an official announcement or something like that, I'm just assuming because after April there aren't more MF related products that are going to be released aside from toys and of course the DVD/BD of SNT.

Notice the use of the word Final

That and some other things like that apparently the author of the light novels won't do anything more about Macross F after the SNT novel like Yot-chan posted a couple of pages ago, or an interview with Kawamori named "Macross F series finally complete! The latest interview with director Kawamori".
I haven't read the interview from Macross Ace but I think he just said that there was a possibility of a sequel but it seems that he's not seriously thinking about doing one.

I think that maybe there will be more Macross F merchandise, just not products with new story, like novels, series or ovas.
I'm just hoping for maybe a second "Nyan Cli" with the new songs from SNT and a new game for PSP/PS3 with a campaing of the second movie and the YF-29.
Well, that's okay then. I had feared that there really would be some word from Kawamori in the direction of "I'm done, bring on the next project, I can't see those characters anymore!". It may be a slim hope, but it gives at least some chance of an OVA or something, before the next project comes into gear.
Old 2011-04-07, 22:43   Link #371
darkplataform

Nothing like foreign language gossip to shake up a sleepy thread ^^

Still waiting for a local summary (or maybe I just should buy the damn thing and upload it)
Old 2011-04-11, 02:47   Link #372
Thess

Quote:
ファンなら、ランカ派もシェリル派も読んでおいて損は無いと思います。
So this book trolls both?

I guess only the slashers give it many stars. <- Previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplataform View Post
- Sheryl destiny is unclear, but she might be dead
- Ranka writing Houkago Overflow thinking: I'll reach Alto no matter what
- Author pointting out Alto will forget Sheryl (google says: forgetting the dead) someday and going back to Ranka

I'm going to speculate that these spoilers could be real, but out of context. It's not in the ending. Let me clarify...

Spoiler for movie spoilers:

So yes, if Sheryl had died. Maybe Alto would have moved on... someday (like after he went back his mission, someday maybe his feelings for Ranka will change). Which is pretty weak news for the relationship. When Ranka went away in the TV series (and she wasn't presumed dead or anything), Alto actually acted as Sheryl's lover. That was not future possibility, but a present one...

Of course Sheryl didn't die.
Spoiler for movie spoilers:

I think knowing this reasoning also makes Ranka's choice to save Sheryl with the blood transfusion kind of a "to choose something, means you have to lose something." She lost any chance she had with Alto for real. But of course won a selfless characterization. She chose Sheryl's life over Alto's love. Since both Alto and Sheryl made a choice to win and lose something themselves, I was wondering what was Ranka's big choice.

Last edited by Thess; 2011-04-11 at 03:21.
Old 2011-04-15, 06:34   Link #373
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Hunter View Post
yes i am very much hoping it would...

we need nyanclip vol2 anda PS3 game...

as for the sequel... ..some day..maybe .. if kawamori say it is possible, so yeah..
i think it will happen someday..

but after his NEW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNC_P...eature=related
finished
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 18:22   Link #374
SS13

Quote:
Japanese bloggers and reviewers seem to be very good at keeping away from spoilers, but based on what the amazon reviewers have written, what darkplataform posted two pages ago back here seems to be generally accurate (the review that talks about it most explicitly was, unfortunately, posted on April 1st...).
Okay, so if that was on mark , then we have one question - did Sheryl wake up or not? could anybody speaking japanese please clarify this?
SS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 03:06   Link #375
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Hm...going back a few years again, but I just finished vol. 2 (series, not movies - haven't been able to order those yet...) and finally realised one thing: Alto didn't actually lose the earring in the battle in the first volume. He had it on a necklace, so he's still got it at the end of this one (~episode 14 events)... The author also changed the battle slightly, such that everyone realises that Ranka's song was what saved them... Bet that changes Ranka's character development in the next volume...

But one thing that had me grinning a little (beside that kabuki scene anyway...) was the comment that 'the only people who hadn't realised Monica's secret crush were the captain himself and Alto...'. That boy is as dense as ever... In fact, the more I read of Alto's (and even Sheryl's) characterisation, the more certain I get that a few people here will really dislike the novels...

Ah well, moving on...

- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-05-30 at 23:37.
Old 2011-05-29, 09:27   Link #376
wisteria233

Quote:
Hm...going back a few years again, but I just finished vol. 2 (series, not movies - haven't been able to order those yet...) and finally realised one thing: Alto didn't actually lose the earring in the battle in the first volume. He had it on a necklace, so he's still got it at the end of this one (~episode 14 events)... The author also changed the battle slightly, such that everyone realises that Ranka's song was what saved them... Bet that changes Ranka's character development in the next volume...

But one thing that had be grinning a little (beside that kabuki scene anyway...) was the comment that 'the only people who hadn't realised Monica's secret crush were the captain himself and Alto...'. That boy is as dense as ever... In fact, the more I read of Alto's (and even Sheryl's) characterisation, the more certain I get that a few people here will really dislike the novels...

Ah well, moving on...
Was it the movie novels or the tv series novels?
Old 2011-05-29, 16:38   Link #377
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Was it the movie novels or the tv series novels?
Series. As mentioned above, I haven't gotten my hands on the movie novelisation yet.

I think I'll stay out of the Romance thread this time (seriously, someone there needs to move on!), but the novel makes you realise that Alto's 'interest' in Sheryl wasn't necessarily as straightforward as some people would like to believe.

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-05-29, 16:48   Link #378
wisteria233

Quote:
Series. As mentioned above, I haven't gotten my hands on the movie novelisation yet.

I think I'll stay out of the Romance thread this time (seriously, someone there needs to move on!), but the novel makes you realise that Alto's 'interest' in Sheryl wasn't necessarily as straightforward as some people would like to believe.

Oh didn't see, when you said it was from the tv series.

The relationship between the two of them never really struck as straight forward, due to both of their personalities.

But I am interested in what you read.
Old 2011-05-29, 17:23   Link #379
Darthtabby

I'm also curious to know what you found out.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 00:01   Link #380
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

It's characterisation that's spread over the first two volumes (and probably over the last two, but I haven't gotten to them yet) so I don't know if I can even summarise it properly, but let's see how it goes.

Spoiler for just in case (mini 1st movie spoiler too):

- Patrick Stokes