AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

Old 2011-07-06, 14:30   Link #21
Kirarakim

Wow! While Ano Hana is not necessarily my favorite series from the block I am happy it so sold well because it is the type of series that I WANT to see more from on the block. I put this along with Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile as a "realistic "slice of life series that made me love noitaminA in the first place. Yes I know there is the unrealistic ghost aspect but other than that I found Ano Hana to be very down to Earth.

You know what surprises me most from the list how much lower the sales of the second series of Nodame Cantabile and Honey & Clover were. I would have expected sales of 2nd series to be around the same as sales for the initial series.
Old 2011-07-06, 15:11   Link #22
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I'm seeing a listing from 2channel that says the first volume of the BD/DVD has outsold any other noitaminA show by more than double:
-snip-
This list is pretty disappointing for me, since House of Five Leaves is one of my favorite shows of the past few years, and I liked Paradise Kiss, Hataraki Man, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Shiki, Hourou Musuko, and Genji, too -- all of which sold under 1500 copies.
That's mainly due to what sort of audience the block used to have. They aren't normally collectors like most otaku are, so the slot power came from drawing in casual viewers of anime, such as young females, and having their shows rank very high in viewership ratings. Of course that wasn't enough for it to be able to sustain the block for long, and thus we got Eden of the East ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Wow! While Ano Hana is not necessarily my favorite series from the block I am happy it so sold well because it is the type of series that I WANT to see more from on the block. I put this along with Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile as a "realistic "slice of life series that made me love noitaminA in the first place. Yes I know there is the unrealistic ghost aspect but other than that I found Ano Hana to be very down to Earth.
I know this is semantics and all, since the term is a sub-genre of drama and such it could be argued that the show overlaps into that territory, but to me AnoHana is an undiluted drama anime. A damn good drama anime mind you, and I'm happy that it succeeded, but I honestly wont be happy to see more of it's type in the slot (not that it matters what I think, since it going to happen with these figures) but I welcome anything of the same quality.
Quote:
You know what surprises me most from the list how much lower the sales of the second series of Nodame Cantabile and Honey & Clover were. I would have expected sales of 2nd series to be around the same as sales for the initial series.
I think the factor that made AnoHana sell more than H&C and Nodame was the advantage of being a hybrid show, so it could appeal to both the older viewers of the block and the otaku viewers, so it ended up pretty much having it's bases covered in the ratings and the sales.

Still, I think that Nodame Cantabile and Honey & Clover had much higher ratings than AnoHana.
Old 2011-07-06, 15:25   Link #23
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Still, I think that Nodame Cantabile and Honey & Clover had much higher ratings than AnoHana.
Ah sorry I didn't actually mean why Ano Hana sold better than H&C and NC but why the first series of H&C and NC sold so much better than their sequels.

Quote:
I know this is semantics and all, since the term is a sub-genre of drama and such it could be argued that the show overlaps into that territory, but to me AnoHana is an undiluted drama anime.
I understand what you mean and actually the term "slice of life" does seem to have some disputed meaning.

I mean I see it used for anime like "Lucky Star" and I definitely do not mean that type of series. Here I am just using it for a series that I feel deals with more realistic characters in real life situations (even though there is a magical aspect to Ano Hana)

Of course in terms of drama Ano Hana does have a bit more than Nodame Cantabile but I still feel the two series are similar in feel (but you are right Ano Hana has more to appeal to an Otaku audience)
Old 2011-07-06, 19:24   Link #24
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Ah sorry I didn't actually mean why Ano Hana sold better than H&C and NC but why the first series of H&C and NC sold so much better than their sequels.
I think the general rule of thumb is that the first installment in a series sells the best and then it drops off from there, I always assumed that applied to sequel seasons as well.

Man that list is depressing, when I saw the numbers on ANN I suspected that AnoHana was the best selling noitaminA show but geeze, shows with an older audience in Japan just don't get the love they deserve I suppose (unless the fans decided to buy a ton of merch instead of DVDs....).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-07, 23:10   Link #25
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, that's good news and bad news. AnoHana was wonderful and deserves that, but there are some great shows that didn't get the love they deserved.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 03:16   Link #26
darktruth

I finally received my 3 copies of the 1st volume of Ano Hana. Took a number of pics so I'll just link to my blog post about it.

Link to blog and photos

Conversation's deep
When you talk to yourself
There's no way to cheat
Cause you know you can't be no one else…
darktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 05:10   Link #27
fazer

3 copies of volume 1! you just have to show off! I want that Anjo poster!
fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 14:38   Link #28
nishiura
current mood: yeah

Menma Beach Queen figure. @MFC.

Spoiler for Menma:

I think she looks really cute, and I'm interested in what colour her swimsuit is. There hasn't been any official art of Menma in a swimsuit, right?
It should be white. (:
nishiura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 16:13   Link #29
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

anyone up for anohana sake?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...apan-this-week
Old 2011-08-09, 01:42   Link #30
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Kanpai!

Doubt that would be available outside Japan, unfortunately. I'd certainly snag a bottle if it was.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 22:36   Link #31
Aurine
<Honoka-mi>

Send a message via MSN to Aurine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
I want but I can't, not allowed to drink so anyone drink it for me and give me the bottle
Aurine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 20:16   Link #32
darktruth

I went ahead and ordered 3 bottles of that sake XD. Not looking forward to them being taxed under the alcohol import category + duty fees when they get forwarded to my country though. Oh yeah, I sent Bukou an email regarding the alcohol content and they said it contains 15-16% of alcohol, which is pretty normal for this since it's a pure rice wine.

Conversation's deep
There's no way to cheat
Old 2011-08-10, 22:10   Link #33
Aurine
<Honoka-mi>

Send a message via MSN to Aurine
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktruth View Post
I went ahead and ordered 3 bottles of that sake XD. Not looking forward to them being taxed under the alcohol import category + duty fees when they get forwarded to my country though. Oh yeah, I sent Bukou an email regarding the alcohol content and they said it contains 15-16% of alcohol, which is pretty normal for this since it's a pure rice wine.
So that bottle is not for youngster I guess? Appearance can be tricky I guess..
Aurine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 04:30   Link #34
darktruth

I finally got it in! Surprisingly, I didn't get taxed by customs for these. Hooray!

Spoiler for :

More on my blog

Conversation's deep
There's no way to cheat
Old 2011-09-19, 03:44   Link #35
darktruth

Catching up again on the LE BD releases for the series.

Spoiler for Ano Hana volume 2 & 3 le BD goodies:

More photos on my blog

Conversation's deep
There's no way to cheat
Old 2011-10-04, 06:45   Link #36
darktruth

Vol. 4 came in today.

Spoiler for Ano Hana vol 4 le bd goodies:

More

Conversation's deep
There's no way to cheat
Old 2011-10-26, 23:11   Link #37
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I don't think it's the cutest figurine of Menma but maybe some people here will like it.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 03:34   Link #38
darktruth

Finally got in the special Ano Hana goods set from Aniplex that was sold at Comiket 80 along with a few other C80 items.

Link

Conversation's deep
There's no way to cheat
Old 2011-11-06, 22:07   Link #39
fazer

http://www.goodsmile.info/product/en...oid+Menma.html

Some ultra cuteness there!
fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 05:24   Link #40
darktruth

Volume 5 acquired! Only got one more volume to go before this is completed. There's still the special Ano Hana Festival LE BD that I'm interested in getting though which is being released next year.

Spoiler for Ano Hana vol 5 le bd goodies:

more photos on my blog.

Conversation's deep
There's no way to cheat