AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-01-25, 01:16   Link #1
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Why do watches still suck?

I have been wearing a watch 24 hours a day 365 days a year since I was about 5. Its pretty much a part of me, if I take it off I feel naked . The thing is, they don't seem to have changed much. Ooooo INDIGLO!! OMFG!! I can read time in the dark! Seriously, why do cell phones and ipods get smaller and more advanced and cool, yet watches stay in technological limbo? Can't they make a watch with an lcd screen, with a gig of space or something. Upload some pics or music on it. Im not begging for something too fancy, but from what I have seen, they still look like relics from the 80's and 90's. It would be possible to make something like that right? Anyone else fans of watches?

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 01:27   Link #2
Senovit
Murk Loar
*Graphic Designer

wait a few years and those ipods and cell phones will become watches x_x
Senovit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 01:42   Link #3
jedinat

Yeah, I stopped wearing a watch when I got a cell phone. It's the same with most people I think.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 01:47   Link #4
LSD-25
Psychedelic

There is really no need to improve on the current design I guess. Digital watches are so cheap to make there is no point in trying to make them into a luxury item.

Now mechanical watches are a good example of a luxury item. In fact there is such a shortage of people that can build/repair these watches that some of the larger producers of them are training people for free. It's becoming a lost art in this digital world...it used to be something you'd find at every jewelry store.

I don't wear a watch..just one more thing that can be stolen. Besides I learned how to tell time by the position of the sun at a very early age, so I guess I never really needed one.
LSD-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 02:17   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The only "useful" watches I see (like with mp3 players or flash memory) are usually these ugly big plastic things .. no sense of style.

The only watches I wear anymore are:
- old style geared analog watches... I just relish tiny bits of mechanical wonder.
- an old Fossil sundial watch they issued when the Fossil brand first appeared. Its a stone sundial ... as long as I can find the sun and north, I'm good

Otherwise, my network auto-updated cellphone works for me.... when I win the lottery, maybe I'll buy one of those high-precision mechanical watches that get update signals from atomic time and have that aviator style look.
No diamond crusted crap Rolex, thanks.

When it gets right down to it, I never know what day or month it is frequently, much less the time :P
Old 2007-01-25, 02:21   Link #6
Ewok

Send a message via MSN to Ewok
I wear a nice Tag Heuer most of the time and have been eyeing up an older Rolex to wear as a dress watch. There is times when I will not have a cell phone with me, and a watch is... a watch. Watches will never suck
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 04:11   Link #7
Syaoran
Inactive Member

I never wear a watch... 'cause I don't have a decent one ^^'
Actually it's been since years ago, even before everyone got mobile phones. And I hate sleeping with one around my wrist too XD
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 05:08   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ Syaoran
So take it off then...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a well homed sence of time, there's no need for me to wear a watch.
Old 2007-01-25, 06:02   Link #9
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
@ Syaoran
So take it off then...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a well homed sence of time, there's no need for me to wear a watch.
That's what I did, but in the end I didn't bother putting it on anymore ^^'
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 06:09   Link #10
Gaiarth

I wear a watch to tell the time. I don't need it to do anything else. Although, as it's an old analog, I can use the old Boy Scout trick and use it to find north by the sun.

Also, I don't have a mobile phone. There's really nobody I want to talk to that urgently.

As for having all singing, all dancing, one-gadget-does-all, what happens when you lose that gadget? You can't listen to your music, or tell the time, or phone anybody, or clip your toenails or...
Gaiarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 07:07   Link #11
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

we want laser watch,yeah james bond's watch especially.
Justice Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 07:33   Link #12
Lambda

The purpose of a watch is to tell you the time. Any watch that tells you the time does not 'suck', it works perfectly.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 07:54   Link #13
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
- an old Fossil sundial watch they issued when the Fossil brand first appeared. Its a stone sundial ... as long as I can find the sun and north, I'm good
Reminds me of that discovery channel commerical ^_^. Other wise, if you think about it. There's really no use in improving the current design for watches (hand watches). If you want to get more lavish, get a Rolex. If you want even more innovation, get a Cell Phone. If you're still complaining, then the world isn't good enough for you.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 08:00   Link #14
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
I have a watch, but I keep it in my pocket or pencil case^^;;
I hate wearing it because the thought of the chilling cold metal always make me !!!#¤%&"/#&¤/"Q%!"!///...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Seriously why can't they have some new high gizmo final fantasy watches or something. Something sleek, thin and light but still amazing to the eyes.
With holographic stuff and shooting out laserbeams?
The downside is, you'd probably need to have it recharged or change batteries every hour...
Arimfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 08:29   Link #15
phantom_ryder

I really want to get this watch that also acts as a universal remote control its pretty damn ugly so you cant really wear it anyway but the prank possibilities drag me in lol..
phantom_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 13:35   Link #16
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom_ryder View Post
I really want to get this watch that also acts as a universal remote control its pretty damn ugly so you cant really wear it anyway but the prank possibilities drag me in lol..
Ive seen those used when I was in high school. Kid kept turning on the channels of the tv .

Also I must add, bad choice of thread title. I love watches, but they basically boil down into either luxury (gold, platinum, diamonds) or sports/adventure (stopwatch, compass, heart rate monitor). Just seems like the geek market is going untapped . Sure their primary function is to tell time, but a cell phones purpose is to make calls and yet you still have the options of cameras, games, internet, music. I would be immensely happy with a watch if I could upload a background pic and change the font, really make it my own since its always with me.

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 14:13   Link #17
Andu

Send a message via MSN to Andu
Watches don't suck...
The reason behind the lack of development of watches is probably the fact that their purpose is to tell time and how on earth would you make that more high-tech or something? Oh and i personally don't like the uberness of the new cellphones (just makes them more expensive while the quality of, say a camera, on a phone is poor plus the data cables and other info transferring items are pretty expensive). I, myself, have an old phone from around early '02 and it hasn't failed my once...
Andu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 14:15   Link #18
cdtm

I loved those Zelda and Mario watch's, back in the 80's. Playing games during class was pretty novel, before the cell phones.
cdtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 14:25   Link #19
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
I have been wearing a watch 24 hours a day 365 days a year since I was about 5. Its pretty much a part of me, if I take it off I feel naked .
It's pretty much the opposite for me. I never got used to wearing a watch all the time, I tried it a few years ago and it would always start to annoy me after a few hours and I'd take it off.

I don't really have the need for one though, so it's no problem, I can mostly tell time without taking out my cellphone.
Old 2007-01-25, 16:10   Link #20
phantom_ryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiarth View Post
As for having all singing, all dancing, one-gadget-does-all, what happens when you lose that gadget? You can't listen to your music, or tell the time, or phone anybody, or clip your toenails or...
I think I'd cry.. for a damn long time I'd be crying..

As far as telling the time at the moment my cell phone works for me... unless the thing runs out of battery... and unless I'm in an exam. Man I hate not knowing the time when I'm in an exam, and the only clock in the room is behind me.. only 'watch necessary' scenario I can think of
phantom_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote