AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-11-06, 13:40   Link #21
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

What? Huh? wait a second...It wasn't originally from the Netherlands? It was Anime? Lol what's next Calimero is an anime too?.

At least it's based on a Dutch book. >.> <.<

Lol you learn something new every day.

This also means my first anime was Alfred J Kwak. Dubbed in dutch no less. o_O

edit: Quick anidb has told me Calimero is anime too...I'm shocked twice in one minute.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 14:26   Link #22
Blaat

I knew Alfred J. Kwak was an anime as soon as I saw his face on a vending machine in an episode of Gundam 0080, which was a nod to Megumi Hayashibara who voiced Christina McKenzie in 0080.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 15:02   Link #23
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Alfred J. Kwak was created by Herman van Veen. But actual animation production was done in Japan. I'd like to refer to it as "Neder Anime"

Btw, a ton of series you might remember seeing as a child can be classified as Japanese anime. Take two series who were aired by the EO in the Netherlands, like Tom Sawyer and Family Robinson (though I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember those).

Heck, looking back I might have unconciensly been an anime fan for a long time: I fondly remember watching Macron 1 (OP - YouTube), which is an obvious mecha series. It's odd I didn't really discover anime until I was 20-something

But I'm getting off-topic here.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 15:17   Link #24
Blaat

I recall Tom Sawyer and Family Robinson (and Wizard of Oz on kindernet) but I honestly can't say I've seen Macron-1.
Old 2007-11-06, 15:29   Link #25
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
...but I honestly can't say I've seen Macron-1.
It wasn't on a Dutch channel but some British channel, called Sky Europe or something. Afaik it was the same British channel Linda de Mol had her debut on. This is a _while_ back tho
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 15:32   Link #26
Blaat

Well you're kind of a lot older then me so I suppose that explains everything ;p
Old 2007-11-06, 17:46   Link #27
Jossy

please put them back.
it's not licensed in the US ... has never been.
and the UK license has expired since 1993 and hasn't been broadcasted there anymore since 1991. There was made a VHS release that only got as far as 4 videos (canceled) and never a dvd release in the english language.

The only country where DVDs are actively being sold in stores is the netherlands itself, however... not every episode and not in chronological order.
also... there were plans on having international dvd releases (which could be found on the official site of hermanvanveen and alfredjkwak) but also these have been canceled, mostly because herman van veen created his own studio and is now the licenseholder.

we are providing it with the japanese language and english subs, there is no official license holder for the english language, you can search everywhere you want but you will not find it, as it has been expired.
Jossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 01:55   Link #28
Unico81

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
It wasn't on a Dutch channel but some British channel, called Sky Europe or something. Afaik it was the same British channel Linda de Mol had her debut on. This is a _while_ back tho
Heh, in the US, Macron 1 was only seen in syndication in certain markets across the country, and boasted a Top 40 soundtrack that had to be removed for a later VHS release of the show. I personally haven't seen much of it myself, but I find it rather typical of Saban dubs that tend to rely on the most incomprehensible means to explain away why they decided to hack and slash through two unrelated cartoons to produce that mess. Felt better off if we got to see Goshogun by itself.
Unico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 02:03   Link #29
Unico81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jossy View Post
please put them back.
it's not licensed in the US ... has never been.
and the UK license has expired since 1993 and hasn't been broadcasted there anymore since 1991. There was made a VHS release that only got as far as 4 videos (canceled) and never a dvd release in the english language.

The only country where DVDs are actively being sold in stores is the netherlands itself, however... not every episode and not in chronological order.
also... there were plans on having international dvd releases (which could be found on the official site of hermanvanveen and alfredjkwak) but also these have been canceled, mostly because herman van veen created his own studio and is now the licenseholder.

we are providing it with the japanese language and english subs, there is no official license holder for the english language, you can search everywhere you want but you will not find it, as it has been expired.
I have to give you thanks for this! I have already bothered to watch through most of the episodes I've had downloaded from Spanish, Finnish and German trackers and find it to be quite an impressive show. Getting at least a subtitled version at all is better than none to understand what is going on besides my basic understanding of certain words. I think it's a shame it was never licensed in the US as I see this as a potential moneymaker if someone had the chance to pick it up a decade ago. The English dub wouldn't be that bad if they could hire a good American/Canadian outfit to do one at rather than import the UK version.

Being reminded of this blog for the character designer for the series, Harald Siepermann, who went on to design many of Disney's feature films like Brother Bear.
http://haraldsiepermann.blogspot.com/
Old 2007-11-10, 02:09   Link #30
Unico81

Quote:
Alfred J. Kwak was created by Herman van Veen. But actual animation production was done in Japan. I'd like to refer to it as "Neder Anime"
It's of no surprise to realize there had been a number of European-Japanese anime co-productions over the years. Some familiar titles might include The Mysterious Cities of Gold (France), Vicky the Viking (Germany), Sherlock Hound (Italy), and Around The World with Willy Fog (Spain) to name a few.
Old 2007-11-10, 09:18   Link #31
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:

Btw, a ton of series you might remember seeing as a child can be classified as Japanese anime. Take two series who were aired by the EO in the Netherlands, like Tom Sawyer and Family Robinson (though I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember those).
ooh yes i remember that, when i checked some of them up i was also very suprised to see Japanese animation studio's mentioned during their openings

Nils Hogerzon was also one of those series, i neve rknew there was an actual name for it =3
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 13:04   Link #32
Unico81

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
ooh yes i remember that, when i checked some of them up i was also very suprised to see Japanese animation studio's mentioned during their openings

Nils Hogerzon was also one of those series, i neve rknew there was an actual name for it =3
Of some note, Mamoru Oshii was a director on that show, noodle on that one!
Old 2007-11-11, 11:27   Link #33
Ryukia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post

Lol what's next Calimero is an anime too?.
In fact yes (Toei Animation):
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...anime&aid=1907
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...anime&aid=1908

So Calimero was the first Anime I hated by heart *g*

On the other hand I don't really call animations that are just drawn in Japan and where Story and Character design come from Europe "anime". In Germany we name it sometimes "half-anime"

Ciao
Ryukia
Ryukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 10:36   Link #34
YuriKawa

I know this is really old but this show isn't licensed. Those 12 episodes are rips copied onto DVDs. I have started a petition to get Alfred J Kwak brought out on DVD. Please sign it...some of us really want to see it again.

http://www.petitiononline.com/AlfredUK/petition.html
YuriKawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 04:38   Link #35
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW TIME

PROLOGUE
Judging by the picture in the front page, this series appears to be a typical fairy tale with cute animals and cheery stories. Well… IT ISN’T! It’s a grim story, dressed in bright colors and light humor.

ART & SOUND SECTION: 6/10 [Very old, but still bearable.]

The animals are drawn with simple figures but are adorable to look at. Animation had no serious problems with this kind of low-numbered-joint characters. Cloths and buildings have a European feeling to them and are essentially a mix of several stereotypical features found worldwide. That means that you must get some optical references to Fascism, Apartheid and European monarchy.

The voices and music themes were usually sweet and cheery but rather unfitting with the several dramatic overtones in the series. What kind of dramatic overtones am I talking about, you may ask? Well, keep reading.

STORY SECTION: 7/10 [Plain nasty.]

The protagonist is a naive duckling. While playing happily, it goes away and escapes its mother’s attention. This saved its life, as a rich animal inside a luxurious car RUNS OVER ITS ENTIRE FAMILY! The rich bastard simply says, “I’m too rich to care” and keeps driving WITHOUT EVEN SLOWING DOWN!
Later, the duckling is looking for its family, but it doesn’t find them (thank God). It is found and taken cared by other animals and things start to get better. But the entire universe is simply out to get our tragic hero. A kleptomaniac friend of its, steals a jewel and “accidentally” drops it on the duckling’s head.
“Look! The duckling that dumped its family is the thief! What a bad animal you are. Shame on you!”
“But I…”
“Shut up! The universe says you are never to be proven right!”
And something similar like this keeps happening to the duckling over and over throughout the rest of the story…

I can’t feel but think that the guy who thought of this scenario is SICK! What kind of children could possibly like this kind of shit? I tell you, I had nightmares with the poor duckling calling for its dismembered family.
And this entire “everyone is out to make your life miserable” attitude is something I don’t want even my worst enemy to experience. It is supposed to be ironic and humorous but it only feels petty and cruel. You could see it as a variant of Oliver Touist but it will still feel overdone.

Yet, this is the same reason the series is unlike anything else I have seen in a series for kids. If you keep watching, you will actually see a story where there are dozens of references to Fascism, Apartheid and European monarchy. Really, it isn’t a typical children’s story with simple good guys and bad guys in some magical fairyland. It is in fact portraying the modern times of our world in a very sad way. I don’t say I like it but it is ironic and it is original in its presentation. So, ok, everything is resolved rather childishly. Still, it actually has deaths and malicious acting on the parts of the bad guys that are eons more sinister that the average stupid villains that never kill in typical cartoons.

CHARACTER SECTION: 6/10 [As naïve as the duckling but more realistic than the Smurfs.]

All characters have quirks that set them apart. Besides the main hero and his nemesis, none of them has a strong presence or decent character development.

The duckling’s tragic story makes it interesting for a while, but all its naivety and Deus Ex Machina blaming gets to your nerves pretty soon. Still, it does mature a lot as a character. I mean, we clearly watch him grow older, get a girlfriend and take part in an uprising against Fascism, Apartheid and other forms of malicious acts. Quite a lot for kiddies to grasp, right?

Then there is the villain in the story, who pretty much is half a dozen infamous historical figures in one body. Really, from Hitler, to Napoleon, to Godfather, to greedy faceless oil company suits, he is there in all and causes more harm and death that Cobra Commander and General Havoc ever did with their endless terrorist armies in old cartoons. And in far more sinister ways too! He looks like a silly crow and yet he is evil incarnate. Plus, he has a backdrop story that excuses his behavior. He was not “born evil”.

And then they say it is a children’s story. Yeah, right! With these two, most anime have less depth in their respective protagonists. Still, it is true that after a while they do act in silly ways and the end-result is generally a happy ending to a sad story. And the rest of the cast is not as great as these two.

VALUE & ENJOYMENT SECTION: 5/10 [If Bambi’s dead mother is the limit in cruelness, this series goes off the charts.]

It is original; no doubt in being memorable. Still, not only it is mentally scaring to children (I was only 10 when I watched it) but also all this injustice and cruelness are hard to want to face again in a children’s story. Cute little animals don’t deserve such treatment. Well… maybe in some sick hentai fetish they do. But not in a children’s story. I guess it is a show that appeals to grown-ups more than it does to children. But even so, who old enough will be willing to watch THIS old cartoon and not some corny dubbed Brazilian soap opera? Not many.

The series does have its share of funny and heart-warming moments, but you can find much better of those elsewhere. As for the social – political overtones, as rare as they are in anime they do look simplistic by the end of the day and ruin any real creadability. So I consider them a half-good attempt at being interesting and captivating.

VERDICT: 6/10
The accused is found … GUILTY! … For selling us a dramatic thriller as a fairy tale.

SUGGESTION LIST
About similar themed AND better series, I suggest:
Spring and Chaos. Very dramatic with cat-like characters.
Candy Candy (good) Not with animals, but with a really dramatic story around the life of an orphan girl.
Duck Tales (awesome!) Not dramatic and not even an anime. It’s a Walt Disney cartoon with dozens of great adventures, involving Uncle Scrooge, Donald and his nephews.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 13:41   Link #36
Graus
grumpy guy in #mirrormoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Words here
You literally cleaned my bank with this review
Interesting to see this kind of opinion about the show.

I do have to admit that I loved the show as a childwas definately a because it featured an exceptionally mature and often sad themes. Amongst others it deals with different social and political issues, such as abuse of power, but also raises important values such as friendship and solidarity.

It sure smashed some of the "good guy hulk smashes the bad guy, lets sell toys" shows.
Graus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-15, 14:16   Link #37
Louis_83

Hi all!
I apologize for resuming such an old, buried topic. I just stumbled into it with a google search

I couldn't help noticing how many English speakers seem to know this wonderful Anime! It was a huge success in Italy (where I am from) back in the 90's.

Unfortunately it hasn't been aired again since then, and all we italians have left are some old VHS recordings. Not even all of the episodes, just aroud 30~ish.

I am here just to say that I recently acquired the new, shiny DVD box from Germany in order to mix the italian track onto it, and since our episodes stop at 30-something episode, I decided to mix the English track (ripped from this YouTube channel.) as well, so at least I got a way to watch it all, in an understandable language. So all of the episodes have double language (except those unavailable in Italy, of course.)

The guy who uploaded the videos on YT said they are his personal recordings made by his dad when he was little. So all the merits go to his generosity! The quality was pretty bad of course, due do the tapes' age, so I am happy to make it look good for English speakers as well!

Here are a couple of screenshots:

The DVDbox in english is, unfortunately, unavailable anywhere. Does it still count as "licensed"? Nobody can really buy or watch it.

I am sorry if this reply might touch some legality issues, in that case I apologize. I just wanted to resurrect an anime simply forgotten by both Italy and UK.

Cheers!

Last edited by Louis_83; 2017-01-15 at 14:36.
Louis_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-15, 06:07   Link #38
OCG
Serbian Prinny

I have 32 episodes of this on Japanese. Wish I could find rest of them. Quality of my RAWS is bad but audio could be replaced on high quality version of episodes. hari-no-ito did subs for first 6 only as far as I am aware. Would be great if someone could do for rest. I already made torrent for my episodes on other site, should I put here too? Also, this is definitely not licensed in English or Japanese. English only has unofficial DVD's and Japanese has no DVD nor VHS release.
OCG is offline   Reply With Quote