Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-29, 15:43   Link #381
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyajitchi View Post
No...they might...

I mean they are currently completly re-dubbing One Piece, and look how that is turning out! The fans say it is da bomb!
That's kind of a special case though, since 4kids killed one piece........
Old 2008-07-29, 16:11   Link #382
Aeriven
Please grant my wish.

I don't know if everyone here definitively knew about whether or not FUNimation will be re-dubbing any of the series they acquired, so let me shed some light on the subject (hopefully).

FUNimation is, according to the press release on ANN, going to take over the "manufacturing, marketing, sales and distribution" of select titles, including Higurashi. Also, at FUNimation's announcement of their acquisition of these titles at Anime Expo 2008 (full article here), ANN has in their article covering the panel that "Geneon will be finishing the production of the shows, including the dubbing." I know that Geneon had already finished dubbing Higurashi before they went down, but based on all this, I don't think FUNimation will re-dub the series.

Last edited by Aeriven; 2008-07-29 at 16:15. Reason: Clarification
Old 2008-07-29, 19:55   Link #383
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghra View Post
I don't know if everyone here definitively knew about whether or not FUNimation will be re-dubbing any of the series they acquired, so let me shed some light on the subject (hopefully).

FUNimation is, according to the press release on ANN, going to take over the "manufacturing, marketing, sales and distribution" of select titles, including Higurashi. Also, at FUNimation's announcement of their acquisition of these titles at Anime Expo 2008 (full article here), ANN has in their article covering the panel that "Geneon will be finishing the production of the shows, including the dubbing." I know that Geneon had already finished dubbing Higurashi before they went down, but based on all this, I don't think FUNimation will re-dub the series.
which is why it's likely that Funimation will either EVENTUALLY redub the series (if support for it is extensive enough), or it will fall to an independent company to heed the call.
Old 2008-07-29, 22:25   Link #384
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
which is why it's likely that Funimation will either EVENTUALLY redub the series (if support for it is extensive enough), or it will fall to an independent company to heed the call.
There doesn't seem to be enough reason to re-dub it. Yes, it sucked beyond belief, but look at all the sucky dubs floating around out there that companies are doing nothing about. As I said before the only time that happens is with things like one piece because it got butchered. They never even edited Higu. It just sounds bad.
Old 2008-07-30, 17:20   Link #385
Eryops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
Why would that happen? Dubbing is the most expensive part of localizing a title and Higurashi is very much a niche series that won't sell much. And how would another company make a dub when Funimation already has the license (ignoring for the moment the fact that there's no real demand for such a thing)?
Old 2008-07-30, 19:21   Link #386
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamiel View Post
There doesn't seem to be enough reason to re-dub it. Yes, it sucked beyond belief, but look at all the sucky dubs floating around out there that companies are doing nothing about. As I said before the only time that happens is with things like one piece because it got butchered. They never even edited Higu. It just sounds bad.
Everyone really seems not to remember Funi's work here. I mean, yes, they did re-vive the butchered 4Kids series One Piece, but that's not all.
Does anyone remember Dragonball Z? Black Cat? Award winning Beck? Shin-Chan? And of course TONS of other series!

Here are all of their shows:
http://www.funimation.com/f_index.cfm?page=props

So after saying that there is hope for the series. If Funi can get GOOD voice actors for this series then there is hope. ALOT of hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryops View Post
Why would that happen? Dubbing is the most expensive part of localizing a title and Higurashi is very much a niche series that won't sell much. And how would another company make a dub when Funimation already has the license (ignoring for the moment the fact that there's no real demand for such a thing?)
If Funimation advertises it well and good word is heard about the series, it might not be as sucessfull as DBZ (obviously), but it will do good.

Do not forget, Yen Press is bringing the manga to the states, (And Yen Press might I add is un-edited, SFX are intact, all swears, no censoring) and with Funimation bringing the anime to us, Higurashi could most likely be a hit.

Advertising is needed. They advertised One Piece, and look how that turned out.
Old 2008-07-30, 19:56   Link #387
Eryops

Quote:
If Funimation advertises it well and good word is heard about the series, it might not be as sucessfull as DBZ (obviously), but it will do good.

Do not forget, Yen Press is bringing the manga to the states, (And Yen Press might I add is un-edited, SFX are intact, all swears, no censoring) and with Funimation bringing the anime to us, Higurashi could most likely be a hit.

One Piece, and Dragonball are both shonen series that have been broadcast on television. The fact they're shonen series means that they have a much larger target audience (older children and adolescents) than Higurashi (which is an otaku show). The levels and nature of Higirashi's violence (and occasional fanservice) make it pretty much impossible to market it to a wider demographic. And the fact that it hasn't been broadcast on TV means that a lot fewer people are aware of it.

No matter how much it's advertised it can never make up for the fact it was never broadcast and the nature of the show means that it will never be able to capture a large demographic. It's a niche title.
Old 2008-07-30, 20:42   Link #388
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryops View Post
One Piece, and Dragonball are both shonen series that have been broadcast on television. The fact they're shonen series means that they have a much larger target audience (older children and adolescents) than Higurashi (which is an otaku show). The levels and nature of Higirashi's violence (and occasional fanservice) make it pretty much impossible to market it to a wider demographic. And the fact that it hasn't been broadcast on TV means that a lot fewer people are aware of it.

No matter how much it's advertised it can never make up for the fact it was never broadcast and the nature of the show means that it will never be able to capture a large demographic. It's a niche title.
Yes you are right.....and wrong.

There have been a variety of series by Funimation that have been highly sucessfull.

One being the award winning Beck.

It just depends on America. If they wish to try new things and buy the DVD just to try it out, or US. We the Higurashi lovers that have watched the series on the computer can support the series by buying the series english dubbed on DVD.
Old 2008-07-31, 00:19   Link #389
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Quote:
Everyone really seems not to remember Funi's work here. I mean, yes, they did re-vive the butchered 4Kids series One Piece, but that's not all.
Does anyone remember Dragonball Z? Black Cat? Award winning Beck? Shin-Chan? And of course TONS of other series!

Here are all of their shows:
http://www.funimation.com/f_index.cfm?page=props

So after saying that there is hope for the series. If Funi can get GOOD voice actors for this series then there is hope. ALOT of hope.

Didn't they only fix DBZ becuase THEY were the ones who tore apart the first 75 episodes? -_- Also, as was said before, anime the doesn't show up on televsion will never be as popular. Just look at the current most popular: Naurto, Bleach, and Death Note. These three are the ones that are on TV and have the most advertising, the best advertising i've seen off the web for higu is two short magazine articles.
Old 2008-07-31, 02:01   Link #390
GyroidFanatic

Geneon still owns the license. Funi is only in charge of distributing it.

Quote:
Didn't they only fix DBZ becuase THEY were the ones who tore apart the first 75 episodes? -_-
No, that was Saban
Old 2008-07-31, 22:35   Link #391
Ryuugu-chan
.....?

Yay for Geneon!.....And Funimation!...No redubbing,their voices are the best!They're awesome!
So,they're marketing the series,sellling the stuff of the series basically,right?Hm...Does Funimation have a history of dubbing/translating video games,maybe they have a chance of translating and dubbing the sound novels.
Old 2008-08-01, 06:06   Link #392
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuugu-chan View Post
Yay for Geneon!.....And Funimation!...No redubbing,their voices are the best!They're awesome!
So,they're marketing the series,sellling the stuff of the series basically,right?Hm...Does Funimation have a history of dubbing/translating video games,maybe they have a chance of translating and dubbing the sound novels.
............. the sound novels aren't voiced, there's only music. And they are already being patched. The only higu games with voice are Matsuri & Daybreak.
Old 2008-08-01, 11:14   Link #393
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuugu-chan View Post
Geneon lost their ability to make and sell DVDs, so they had to find another company (Funi) to do it for them. And don't count on the sound novels coming over.
Old 2008-08-01, 12:30   Link #394
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

I don't know...with the hopefully success of the series they maybe....JUST MAYBE....translate the Visual Novels.
Old 2008-08-01, 13:51   Link #395
tobiast88
No patience for fools

Fat effing chance, since the only company that did visual novels in the Us tanked a while ago.
Old 2008-08-02, 09:31   Link #396
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

Oh darns...

What company was that? jw
Old 2008-08-02, 10:18   Link #397
GyroidFanatic

Hirameki International

But there's a new company that appeared, that's licensed Da Capo.
Old 2008-08-02, 11:43   Link #398
Benny1
Friendly Manga Editor

Send a message via AIM to Benny1 Send a message via MSN to Benny1
That new company writes in horrible engrish so bad the original japanese companies complain and charges extremely large amounts. Have fun with that.

There's another company, the one that did Yume Miru Kusuri. There is no company currently that does non h-games afaik, so have fun.
Old 2008-08-02, 12:51   Link #399
ayukanon45
Doujin Music Composer

Send a message via MSN to ayukanon45
i recently asked Grant (Keichi) if he would be willing to reprise his role for season 2, he said "hell yeah"
Old 2008-08-02, 15:30   Link #400
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
That new company writes in horrible engrish so bad the original japanese companies complain and charges extremely large amounts. Have fun with that.

There's another company, the one that did Yume Miru Kusuri. There is no company currently that does non h-games afaik, so have fun.
The new company is getting better through patches, and they are listening to community feedback. And as for prices, the prices seem to be close to the Japanese's. Higurashi seems to be cheap in Japan, so there's a chance it would be the same.

And that other company is Peach Princess, which is J-List's sister company. I left that out since it only does H-games.
Closed Thread