AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-04, 02:23   Link #421
Kakkou
Tch.

Funny how I immediately took a liking to the "Your galaxy will shine!" phrase at the preview and then they go ahead and have an end card with the same line on it.

Fabulous show, as if it hasn't been emphasized enough already here. Great production quality in all aspects as well. Everything's so fabulous (except the OP song), may Bonez make this show shine for the remainer of it's length.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 02:25   Link #422
solomon

Hey man, I went in with lowered expectations....

Gotta hand it to Igarashi and his staff that was fun!

No bullshitting or pretentiousness, yet not too silly either. They give you what you want (cute girls, hot guys, boss costumes, cool mecha fights, awesome posing and delicious catchphrases) without gratuitousness.

Real snappy direction, fast but not too fast, giving all the plot elements enough time to breathe. also what really makes it for me is the voice cast. Saori Hayami sounds genuinely cute (not sickeningly so like most of her character's types are) but really it's about Mamoru Miyano being all kinds of awesome with his hammy rendition of Takuto.

The opening from Aqua Times sounded ATROCIOUS on it's own but I think I warmed up to it, probably cause it works with the OP visuals.

I expected great animation from BONES and they delivered as usual, looks like more of their core animation staff is on this one which is nice. Art and Mecha design are boss, character designs aren't quite my cup of tea but they are dynamic and well drawn. Plus I can't get over how cool the secret society's costumes look (especially on the ladies, YUM).

For now call it a keeper, I don't know where it will go with this 70s esque material but the excecution is so well done we'll just wait and see.

AND YEA, That's a Norimitsu Suzuki ED sequence, he doesn't even need credit anymore, I know it's him.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 02:28   Link #423
Jarmel

The part about 16:00 minutes in with the beautiful song is when I started to get chills. I definitely got some Raphxenon vibes as well as amusingly enough Wolf's Rain.

Another thing that impressed me was the choreography.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 03:43   Link #424
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocd View Post
I hope this series is deceivingly dark, like Eureka Seven (or RahXephon).
At this point i can't see this show being dark, though i'm for being surprised later down the line.
Old 2010-10-04, 04:32   Link #425
hai_san

Sentai meets Godannar and Guren Lagann.

i loled very much when the guy said "Galactic pretty boy"...

Well the names are pretty weird but the serie is very good.

ps: the seiryuus are really amazing, well actually it was more like Mamoru Miyano one man show... so great!

Last edited by hai_san; 2010-10-04 at 05:18.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 07:17   Link #426
Grim_Reaper

Can anybody translate the insert song?

Quote:
It's obviously storyboarded and directed to look like a single cut animation, but stuff like that is usually animated by one person. But yet the credits list an animation director, a mecha animation director, a motion designer, a layout artist, and a whooping 10 keyframe animators, and an art designer. That's a lot of different staff to simulate a one cut animation.

I'm guessing that the "motion designer" (Hiroki Tanaka) did a rough animation sequence for the entire thing, mostly to time all of Takuto's movements along with all the other elements. It's likely that only one or possible 2-3 at most of the keyframe animators then polished up and did detailed animation for Takuto's movement sequence as the main element, while the other keyframe animators animated the various elements separately (the students walking, the bike and cars, the ferret, the mecha, etc). Nakamura probably animated the sequence of Tauburn coming out of the water, since that looks very similar to his sort of work.
I guess you're right. Looks so
Grim_Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 07:21   Link #427
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

My impressions...

First, I hope they can keep up with the quality.

2nd, I am very interested in the dynamic between the main characters. Specifically how Sugata behaved.

Normally as the "third wheel" of the main couple, Sugata in this case is actually entirely aware that Wako doesn't love him. And he does not seem to believe the marriage arrangement is good for anybody, even before Takuto showed up. He was even open to the idea of Wako leaving him and the island for good and go to Tokyo, like how he knows she wanted. I believe he is genuine in his words, and that his motives have Wako's happiness in mind. I would be disappointed if he ended up becoming a part of a love triangle. The idea that Sugata could be a platonic friend to Wako is very refreshing for me.

I even suspect that he was trying to pair Wako up with Takuto; I think Sugata knows Wako is forcing herself to stick to the betrothment, and he hopes if she falls in love with Takuto, she can find happiness with Takuto and be freed of her sense of duty with him.

If they can maintain Sugata as a "noble friend", I would be very impressed. It would be hard, as there is always temptation to throw in the love triangle for free drama. But this show might surprise me.

Now, about the mecha conspiracy... It seems like all the masked pilots are "imitators". of a sort. Only "chosen ones" are suppose to be able to pilot robots, but somehow technology has found a way to bypass the magical limitations. The Mask serves as a key to activate the robots, and the remote-control pilot tower also seemed to serve as an intermediate interface. In short, they found a way to take control of the magical war machines without a need to have been given the birthright first.
Takuto, however, DOES have the birthright. He doesn't need a mask, and control his mecha directly, because that's how it is meant to be done. And now, he is going to go mask-smashing... And being the real deal, he has plenty of advantages over the imitation pilots.
Old 2010-10-04, 08:08   Link #428
PzIVf3

PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 08:17   Link #429
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

FUCK IT THIS IS THE NEW GAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Move over kamina the NEW GARness ness is here hahahaha

also FTW!!! GALACTIC PRETTY BOY!!!!!

fuck yeah

im lost REALY lost it

god im shaking with excitment after that episode

im having goose bump all over

god it like the time i was watching gurren laggan god THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Japan and subbers and uploaders for this sweet and epic series NOW i have to get my fathers cred card so i can reserve for a Blue ray
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 08:21   Link #430
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I've made a characters/seiyuus page for this show, with pics of 18 characters and their seiyuus, and a bit of info about both the character and the seiyuu. Character info from the official site.

Still working on it, so if you see any problems, please let me know.
Many thanks for this, really makes things a bit clearer for me. I know for sure that I'll be constantly referring back to it when I watch the episodes, so thanks!
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 08:24   Link #431
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
I fell asleep twice while watching the episode

It would also be unfair to say only after one episode that almost nothing made sense.

I also have no idea wheather I like the abundance of kitsch or hate it. I guess it depends how much the show will take itself seriously.

On the other hand animation and art are obviously overworked, but that is the usual case for the studio.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 08:36   Link #432
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Here's what I'm wondering about the OP:

It's obviously storyboarded and directed to look like a single cut animation, but stuff like that is usually animated by one person. But yet the credits list an animation director, a mecha animation director, a motion designer, a layout artist, and a whooping 10 keyframe animators, and an art designer. That's a lot of different staff to simulate a one cut animation.

I'm guessing that the "motion designer" (Hiroki Tanaka) did a rough animation sequence for the entire thing, mostly to time all of Takuto's movements along with all the other elements. It's likely that only one or possible 2-3 at most of the keyframe animators then polished up and did detailed animation for Takuto's movement sequence as the main element, while the other keyframe animators animated the various elements separately (the students walking, the bike and cars, the ferret, the mecha, etc). Nakamura probably animated the sequence of Tauburn coming out of the water, since that looks very similar to his sort of work.

Thoughts?
Only that it took an amazing team to produce something not that amazing. I mean when you see the lineup you'd expect something.. I don't know, more? It's just Takuto running with some background and Talbrun picking him up at the end. There's little to no interaction with the background. I mean it's an okay opening, but was expecting something epic.. especially after reading your post about Watanabe directing.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 08:47   Link #433
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
I fell asleep twice while watching the episode

It would also be unfair to say only after one episode that almost nothing made sense.
Can you tell us what you don't get? There isn't as many strange things in this episode as you said from my POV. We can discuss it.
Old 2010-10-04, 08:49   Link #434
tsunade666

Finished episode 1 and I had only few words...... Galactic Pretty Boy \:lol:/
Old 2010-10-04, 09:04   Link #435
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Can you tell us what you don't get? There isn't as many strange things in this episode as you said from my POV. We can discuss it.
My problem with the show is how come Takuto doesn't initially seem to know whats going on but later when he's in the time space bubble, knows how to pull up his own mech and seems to be relatively well known among the cybuddy circles.

In regards to a previous post you made, the relationship dynamic reminds me of Xam'd and I think Sugata is not always going to remain the noble friend.

Surprisingly I actually liked Wako as going in I hated her character design. Maybe her actually knowing how to do proper CPR was a huge bonus for me.
Old 2010-10-04, 09:14   Link #436
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
My problem with the show is how come Takuto doesn't initially seem to know whats going on but later when he's in the time space bubble, knows how to pull up his own mech and seems to be relatively well known among the cybuddy circles.
Actually, my theory can explain it; All the masks and the piloting machines are unknown to Takuto because they have nothing to do with how he is able to summon his own giant robot. So he had no idea what they are doing because they are literally doing things he hadn't seen before. I mean, he summons his robot, while they had to pilot via mechanical hardware.

Quote:
In regards to a previous post you made, the relationship dynamic reminds me of Xam'd and I think Sugata is not always going to remain the noble friend.
If he change, then it would be a sad state of affairs. As he is right now, Sugata is an outstanding character who is breaking the mould of the "rich guy betrothed to main female". It would be a waste of the opening scene.

Quote:
Surprisingly I actually liked Wako as going in I hated her character design. Maybe her actually knowing how to do proper CPR was a huge bonus for me.
I wonder, is Sugata trying to set them up as a couple by mentioning the "first kiss" comment? Clichéd, but unusual to have been brought up by a guy.
Old 2010-10-04, 09:17   Link #437
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Actually, my theory can explain it; All the masks and the piloting machines are unknown to Takuto because they have nothing to do with how he is able to summon his own giant robot. So he had no idea what they are doing because they are literally doing things he hadn't seen before. I mean, he summons his robot, while they had to pilot via mechanical hardware.

If he change, then it would be a sad state of affairs. As he is right now, Sugata is an outstanding character who is breaking the mould of the "rich guy betrothed to main female". It would be a waste of the opening scene.

I wonder, is Sugata trying to set them up as a couple by mentioning the "first kiss" comment? Clichéd, but unusual to have been brought up by a guy.
That is a possibility in regards to Takuto. I just hope they atleast go back and explain some stuff unlike Xam'd which kept running and never slowed down.

It does seem that Sugata is trying to set them up but I'm wondering why. Does he want her to leave him behind for some reason?
Old 2010-10-04, 09:45   Link #438
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
It does seem that Sugata is trying to set them up but I'm wondering why. Does he want her to leave him behind for some reason?
We know that Wako takes the engagement seriously. So the question is if the marriage would have some magical consequences that Sugata is trying to spare her from. Also, Sugara knows Wako wanted to go to Tokyo. But it sounds like if she marries him she would never be able to leave.
Old 2010-10-04, 09:49   Link #439
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Sugata does not want Wako to be chained to her "fate" as a Miko simply because she was born as one. He sees Takuto as an outsider who will eventually leave the island to return to the mainland. He hopes that by setting her up with Takuto that he can take her away from the island, and away from her preordained role in life.

As the prince who will inherit the power of the royal Cybody, Sugata wants to take all the responsibility of protecting the island's secrets himself. He wants to be the only who suffers, sacrificing his own future and freedom to allow others to life their lives as they please.

What Sugata does not expect is that Takuto is not just any outsider, nor is he the type to stand and watch as he tries to be the noble hero. Takuto has his own secrets, and his own past. His father and grandfather are very much a part of the secrets of the island, and Takuto himself knows a fair bit more than he's letting on.

Sugata will have to stand and watch helplessly as Takuto not only intrudes into his life, but also takes the role of hero away from him, showing him that one does not have to sacrifice himself or try to artificially create a better future for other people. Takuto will prove that each person can stand up for themselves and that even though something might be decided before they were even born, it doesn't mean that they don't want to do it. Wako might not have been given a choice in becoming a Miko, but she is just as willing to stay and fulfill her role to protect her friends, and Sugata should accept that.

That's what I think anyway.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 09:57   Link #440
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It seems more likely that Takuto's grandfather (( the former Galactic Pretty Boy? )) gave him a bullet-point summary 'what to do and what to say' at the Southern Island once some unexpected things happen to him.

"Once the world responds to your call... you'll know it once you see it, shout "APPRIVOISE!" with all your guts and say the magic words "Galactic Pretty Boy, TAUBARN! ... I'm not senile, you'll get it once you reach there."

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, fabulous, shonen