Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-10-24, 05:30   Link #301
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsy View Post
So what's everyone doing operating system wise come the 26th for PC destop users who have a mouse and keyboard, no touch.

Are you guys going to get windows 8 or ignore it?

It seems like a system built around touch, so not sure how well it will be received by typical desktop users.
I'll pick it up, just not on 26th, something ruined my weekend, so I'll get it on Tuesday. I've been using the CP and RC till a month ago, I had no real issue with it, save soundcard drivers and a select few games not playing. Other than that, it felt faster than 7, plus the RibbonUI explorer was nice. Metro... well, I like the Start Screen, but other than that, I never use it for anything, so I hope it doesn't inflitrate the desktop more. Truth be told, I wouldn't consider upgrading, but for $40, it's hard to resist.
Old 2012-10-24, 06:34   Link #302
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsy View Post
So what's everyone doing operating system wise come the 26th for PC destop users who have a mouse and keyboard, no touch.

Are you guys going to get windows 8 or ignore it?

It seems like a system built around touch, so not sure how well it will be received by typical desktop users.
well I maybe buy on of those Win8 hybrid (so far either Duo 11 or Surface Pro). but i am not bother to update my existing laptop and desktop

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 17:01   Link #303
monster

Someone at another forum posted what is supposedly a Microsoft reply to his/her question regarding Windows 8 promo licensing. Apparently the $14.99 and $39.99 upgrade deals come with a non-transferrable license of Windows 8.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 17:36   Link #304
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Someone at another forum posted what is supposedly a Microsoft reply to his/her question regarding Windows 8 promo licensing. Apparently the $14.99 and $39.99 upgrade deals come with a non-transferrable license of Windows 8.
Non transferable to where? Could you even transfer the license? You mean like OEM? That'd be beyond retarded. That reply seems shady. The promotional upgrade price was supposed to be that, promotional, an incentive to get the upgrade till the end of January. Unless they're gonna pull that in general for the Windows 8 upgrade license, but then, either way, they're putting themselves into some pretty deep crap, so I seriously doubt there's any credibility to that theory.

This one seems plausible.
Old 2012-10-24, 18:16   Link #305
monster

Yeah, I doubt Microsoft would be limiting transfer rights for all upgrade SKUs, since that's the primary purchase option for Windows 8 on the retail channel. But seeing as how that poster was specifically talking about the temporary promotional deals, I thought I'd mentioned it anyway to see if anyone else had any input on it since I've been wondering about it too recently.

Then again, something as important as this would probably have been reported somewhere by now.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 12:56   Link #306
konart

Curiosity(or rather greed?) killed a cat.

Ordered win8 via https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/ for 469 roubles(~15$)

You just have to tell them you've bought win7 somewhere in the mid of July with a pocker face.
Old 2012-10-26, 13:32   Link #307
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Silly question: wallpaper. Anyone have screenshots of wallpaper with this "start menu of favorites swamps the screen" interface?
Old 2012-10-26, 13:36   Link #308
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Silly question: wallpaper. Anyone have screenshots of wallpaper with this "start menu of favorites swamps the screen" interface?
You mean a screenshot from the Metro Start or something else?
Old 2012-10-26, 16:50   Link #309
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
You mean a screenshot from the Metro Start or something else?
Aye, Metro Start ... there's such an entrenched wallpaper society that putting them away for a bunch of tiles ... oh the horror.
Old 2012-10-26, 17:02   Link #310
konart

Quote:
Aye, Metro Start ... there's such an entrenched wallpaper society that putting them away for a bunch of tiles ... oh the horror.
I almost never have a clean desktop anyway - at least one window is opened in fullscreen, so "no wallpaper" is the same as "any wallpaper"

And Metro Start does not replace wallpapers - it is a separate screen.

Old 2012-10-26, 17:35   Link #311
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
I like my wallpapers actually. I even hide the desktop icons so I can see it better when I can :P
Old 2012-10-26, 18:53   Link #312
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I like my wallpapers actually. I even hide the desktop icons so I can see it better when I can :P
Same here -- wallpaper ranching is an important hobby for me. So far, every instance of win8 I have looked at - wallpapers are not present nor would they be very visible with Sesame Street sized tiles.
Old 2012-10-26, 19:14   Link #313
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Same here -- wallpaper ranching is an important hobby for me. So far, every instance of win8 I have looked at - wallpapers are not present nor would they be very visible with Sesame Street sized tiles.
It's not like you're gonna stay in Metro Start all the time. I use it as an elaborate program launcher, I'm there only when I need to run something.
Old 2012-10-26, 19:40   Link #314
Random32
Also a Lolicon

It's not like the wallpaper is all that visible in everyday use on the normal desktop... With a few windows open, the desktop is well over 3/4 covered, and most people have a single fullscreen window, and don't see their desktop at all.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 20:00   Link #315
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
It's not like you're gonna stay in Metro Start all the time. I use it as an elaborate program launcher, I'm there only when I need to run something.
That's why I was curious. I'm going to see how it actually plays in use on a test box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by random32
It's not like the wallpaper is all that visible in everyday use on the normal desktop... With a few windows open, the desktop is well over 3/4 covered, and most people have a single fullscreen window, and don't see their desktop at all.
I don't really care what "most people" do I have a rather large display and if more than 50% is covered, its unusual. I use the wallpaper as basically a piece of art display that rotates imagery when the machine is not in use.
Old 2012-10-27, 02:13   Link #316
konart

Quote:
That's why I was curious. I'm going to see how it actually plays in use on a test box.

I don't really care what "most people" do I have a rather large display and if more than 50% is covered, its unusual. I use the wallpaper as basically a piece of art display that rotates imagery when the machine is not in use.
May I aks just how large it is? Mine is 24" and I almost never see my wallpaper

On a side note, I really like the new lock screen:

Spoiler for photo:
Old 2012-10-27, 03:37   Link #317
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Coverage depends on what you're doing and how large you've set the fonts, etc. I have a 27" wide screen. There's usually 4-6 windows open (like when I'm doing software work or when I'm writing my little light novel). But the windows aren't usually large.
We'll see, I'm just going to have to play with it and see if it will cooperate and do what I want.
Old 2012-10-27, 04:18   Link #318
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

For the record, Avast gave me continuous bsod screens, either from its own files (aswnet.sys) or from ndis.sys, causing one hell of a mess. Kaspersky PURE 2.0 didn't allow the metro apps to run. Just a warning if you're trying AVs, these are the ones I've tried, I'm currently on Bitdefender, checking for any overly weird behavior (so far the Security Center misreports it as turned off, but I used an eicar file and it deleted it promptly).
Old 2012-10-27, 04:24   Link #319
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
For the record, Avast gave me continuous bsod screens, either from its own files (aswnet.sys) or from ndis.sys, causing one hell of a mess. Kaspersky PURE 2.0 didn't allow the metro apps to run. Just a warning if you're trying AVs, these are the ones I've tried, I'm currently on Bitdefender, checking for any overly weird behavior (so far the Security Center misreports it as turned off, but I used an eicar file and it deleted it promptly).
yeah, I have a junk machine I try new OSs out on. And the first thing I do is put basic apps on and see what breaks. That's annoying about Avast, its my go-to free AV for most things.
Old 2012-10-27, 04:46   Link #320
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
yeah, I have a junk machine I try new OSs out on. And the first thing I do is put basic apps on and see what breaks. That's annoying about Avast, its my go-to free AV for most things.
Well, not sure if it's just my PC, but I downloaded a fresh Avast setup to use and it was bsoding to infinity. Also messed up the Libraries. And yeah, that's my issue, too, I'm using Avast most of the time, but I'll probably go use Panda Cloud if I can't find another subscription for something or until the issue is reported fixed (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=107811.0 )