Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-12-17, 23:56   Link #1
mit7059

Senator Daniel Inouye of Hawaii dies at 88

New York Times Obituary
Wikipedia Page

I don't have a lot to say about this but one of the greatest and most underrated statesmen in US History died today. He had served in congress continuously since Hawaii achieved statehood in 1959 first as a congressman and then since 1962 as a Senator. He was the first Japanese American to serve in the House of Representatives and the first to serve in the senate. Since 2010 he had served as the President pro tempore of the Senate which made him the highest ranking Asian-American politician in US history. He lost his arm serving in WWII during an action for which he was awarded the Medal of Honor.

He lived an amazing, selfless life; he will be missed.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 00:46   Link #2
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
While I don't exactly agree with all of his political positions, he is an American hero in the truest sense of the word. Sad day indeed.

Rest in peace; E ho'omaha me ka maluhia.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 02:08   Link #3
kyp275
Meh

A great man who more than rose up to the occasion, may he rest in peace.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 21:49   Link #4
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I'm of two minds towards the late Senator Inouye. On the one hand, I think he was a great patriot/citizen, and hold him in the highest regards as a person. I could only fantasize of having the type of balls those in the 442nd had during WW II. On the other hand, he embodied one of the worst things about D.C. exemplified with the amount of time he spent in office, where no term limits provides the type of atmosphere that makes it such a dysfunctional place.

Hawaii lost its only effectual congressman (while I disagree with how the system works in D.C., I can't ignore that in the way it works, Inouye's seniority and position was a great boon to his state) with his death, and as a state stupid enough to put all its financial eggs into the tourism basket, it is highly reliant on its congressmen funneling federal dollars towards it. With Inouye dead, and Akaka retiring, Hawaii is either going to become even more economically depressed, or perhaps (if one is an optimist), be forced to re-think its twin dependence on Federal handouts and a tourism industry (looking at what successful small nations do-hint, it's not tourism-could be a start) that only creates a large class of minimum wage citizens hidden beneath the glitz of the tropical vacation dream.

Anyways, that was more political than I wanted, so let me end there by reiterating my deep admiration for him as a person, rather than as a politician.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 03:53   Link #5
Siegel Clyne

Daniel Inouye: A Great American Hero and Patriot

Whatever one's politics are - and as a registered independent voter I virtually always vote for the other side nowadays - Senator Daniel K. Inouye (D-Hawaii) was a great American hero in the truest sense of the word.

He literally gave up his right arm for his country.

Senator Inouye is one of 24 Americans of Japanese descent who have been awarded the Medal of Honor - the highest military decoration the United States can bestow upon on individual.

One of the latest awards Japanese American veterans have received is the Congressional Gold Medal on November 2, 2011.

Japanese-American vets earn nation's highest civilian honor

http://www.army.mil/article/68563/

Though they disagree on many issues, one thing Democrats and Republicans, liberals and conservatives, in both of houses of the United States Congress unite on is the the extraordinary loyalty, patriotism, bravery, and valor demonstrated by Japanese Americans in the U.S. armed forces during times of war, particularly during World War II.

When you can get complete agreement on an issue by the likes of current Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio), former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-California), Senator John McCain (R-Arizona), and Senator Barbara Boxer (D-California), that is an awesome accomplishment.

Perhaps Senator McCain, himself a highly distinguished Vietnam War veteran, summed it up best in the U.S. Army News Service article I cited and linked to above:

Sen. John McCain said America's Nisei veterans of World War II did "everything that was ever asked of them and more. And what is most remarkable is that they did so despite the fact that our nation at times fell short of its responsibilities to them, and Americans like them."

McCain also recognized that while lawmakers are in disagreement about many things, the merits of the Japanese-American veterans is something they are in agreement on.

"It's not every day that the leaders and members of Congress have an opportunity to put aside our usual difference over the impending business of the day, to join together with bipartisan unanimity, to pay tribute to fellow citizens who have served a just cause greater than their own self interests," McCain said. "When it comes to honoring those among us who have given everything to protect our nation, Americans have always and will always stand as one, just as we do today."

Smithsonian Announces Seven-City Tour of Congressional Gold Medal Awarded to Japanese American World War II Veterans

The Congressional Gold Medal awarded in 2011 to Japanese American, or Nisei, World War II veterans in recognition of their extraordinary accomplishments will travel to seven cities across the country beginning in January 2013. The Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service (SITES) has partnered with the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History and the National Veterans Network to share the inspiring story of these men who fought with bravery and valor on the battlefields of Europe and Asia, even while many of their family members were held in American internment camps back in the U.S....

The Congressional Gold Medal was awarded to the 100th Infantry Battalion, the 442nd Regimental Combat Team and the Military Intelligence Service veterans by the U.S. Congress Nov. 2, 2011, in recognition of their exceptional service, sacrifice and loyalty to America. The Gold Medal represents Congress’s highest expression of national appreciation for distinguished achievements and contributions. A complete list of recipients is available at House.gov.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2013-01-02 at 19:49.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote